GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My next project guitar is on the way, and should arrive before the end of the week.

Most likely the truss rod will need replacing in this one (the previous owners cannibalized all the hardware from it), but with the fresh experience of having replaced a truss rod a couple months ago with another guitar I'm still working on, it should be a piece of cake.

Danny

I have never posted on this thread much, but just returned from the Mississippi Delta, and am definitely in love with the place, the history and the music, which is still as alive and real as it ever was--

maybe more later---and yes I found THE crossroads

Danny - How neat! I see the seller is from Nashville - any ideas of the history of it? I love baritone guitars - great sound~

Chas,

Haven't the foggiest idea what that thing's been through - it was a very impulsive bid on my part.

My guess is either the truss rod is defective, or the previous owner over-tightened the rod.

I'll most likely replace the rod to be the safe side.

But I'll know more when it arrives.

I already have a set of tuners, a couple bridges, and some pickups that might fit.

All I need is a Bigsby or Bigsby-clone. And some strings.

Look forward to playing around with a baritone. None of the guitar stores in my area carries them.

I'd put money on the over-tightening of the truss rod. I know that when you store or ship a guitar - and especially a bass - you're supposed to slack the strings so that they don't bend the neck. I would think that there would be a lot of tension on a baritone guitar's neck that would cause some bending and perhaps the previous owner over compensated this by tweaking the trussrod too much. It also could have been stored on pegs on a wall and could have dried out - I can't remember if it was a hallowbody or even a neck-thru-body... nice looking piece.

Are you a hobby luthier? (Hubby is considering something like that for a retirement career... )

Are you a hobby luthier? (Hubby is considering something like that for a retirement career... )

I've become something of a "hobby luthier" this past winter, when I pulled out my closet a solid-body electric I had built in

my high school woodshop back in '78 ( I posted a pic earlier in this thread, back a hundred pages or so :) ) and decided to give it a makeover. I was never satisfied with the neck , so I reshaped it, removed the old mohagany fretboard and installed a double-action trussrod and an ebony board. Now I'm working on the body, having added a brass control plate and

am in the process of designing and making a pickguard. And some handmade ebony pickup rings.

Don't know how it's going to sound yet, but it will look good - like a Rickenbacker's "evil twin".

Does your hubby already own a lot of tools, or a workshop? That would be a great retirement job!

The cost for tools does add up though...

:)

Dan - he's got a few tools. He's better at cleaning up a schmutzy guitar, changing strings, tweaking a neck or a bridge, etc. He's great at changing tubes on amps and troubleshooting problems with amps tho - basic meat & potatoes fix-it stuff. I've considered getting him a gift certificate for luthier workshops in the area - there's generally something in the Boston area for that. I guess simple restoration is more his thing than building or serious repairs.

Chas,

Does your husband know about this website - www.projectguitar.com ?

It's a cool site, which has proven for me a great help through their tutorials and

forum. Their information on how to remove a fretboard with a clothes iron

is pretty EZ, and really works. :)

It's amazing the online lutherie resources readily available today to kids both

young and old .

Why back in 1978, I had to walk 30 miles in the snow just to measure my friends' guitars.

:biglaugh:

The only reference I had back then was Hideo Kamimoto's "Complete Guitar Repair".

It's held up quite well.

Danny

I prefer to remove my fretboards with a hammer.

:eusa_clap: You nailed it, Polar Bear...er...uhm...well maybe un-nailed it or something...

Oh I may still employ a hammer, though ever so cautiously, in concert with a putty knife, a razor blade, and a hot steamin' iron. :rolleyes:

The Gretsch baritone arrived safely yesterday, shipped in a taped-up Ibanez "Artcore" box. Not a shred of hardware on it save for the plate and

screws attaching the neck to the body and the wholly frozen non-functioning truss rod in the neck itself. My gut inclination is remove that nasty truss rod

from it as soon as possible, to replace it with a Stew Mac two-way adjustable "Hot Rod" and perhaps some carbon fiber reinforcements.

And then I will proceed onto giving this thing a bit more character beyond the average stock Chinese "Gretsch". :evildenk:

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

After an all-nighter spent in my evil workshop, the Gretsch fretboard has been (for the most part) successfully removed from the neck intact (despite a minor skirmish with some stubborn wood near the beginning of this venture), and the truss rod exposed as indeed the culprit - it had been so overtightened as to snap the weld of the flexible parallel bar.

About a couple hours after I started......this is the steam iron "riding" down the fretboard at a snail's pace, followed by a razor blade and a sharpened putty knife....yup...

post-150-1178441044_thumb.jpg

Near the end...sorry I didn't have space here for all those action-packed pics...

post-150-1178441201_thumb.jpg

Viola!

post-150-1178441434_thumb.jpg

I took a pic of the truss rod by itself, but only my thumb and a different part of the room came out.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a very cheap camera! :biglaugh:

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

Near the end...sorry I didn't have space here for all those action-packed pics...

Well some men find fishing shows or golfing shows exciting and even though I like to fish (never golfed) I think your pictures portray something very heart action. It must have been awesome for you seeing it come together.