GreaseSpot Cafe

Open letter from The Way

pawtucket

If one of JP's sisters has a power of attorney, then this is a matter of public record. There is a PHYSICAL document somewhere (and probably several copies) which verifies this. GSC has posted public record documents before, such as VP's death certificate and some of the lawsuit transcripts. Why not this one?

Harve's letter addressed four parts of JP's letter for refutation. The first was that JP "knew full well that one of his sisters had the power of attorney". This is an attack on JP's/GSC's integrity. He's saying JP flat out lied and deliberately misrepresented the facts. I think Harve's letter begs a response from JP.

I agree with whoever said that it's a good thing that TWI has finally weighed in.

In spite of all the dust being stirred up, there seem to be TWO FACTS here.

1. Mrs Weirwille did not receive the care she needed at home.

2. She is receiving better care in the nursing home.

Mud slinging won't change these facts. I say leave her where she is and, if people want to send cards and money or anything else, let them.

I doubt that JP will ever get any inheritance. His parents gave everything they had to The Way, an organization that will suck people dry as allowed.

trekbadge.gif

My question is why should twi care of someone sends money for mrs w's care in the first place? Although I wouldn't send money I don't think its any of their business if someone does.

Ok!! I will not try to be a nice person...ok? I will not!!

The Platig reply suggests JP may have acted impulsively and without sufficent consideration of TWI's response when he wrote and published his letter. It's okay to "mean well," but good intentions are only the start.

SkepTex pointed out there could be a down-side to donating money. Sure enough, Harve is exploiting it for every penny's worth.

Was this pasted in or transcribed? I notice some typos and grammatical errors. (And if I caught a few, laleo is sure to come up with plenty others.) That's unusual for any "official document," especially one for which their may be legal consequences. For instance, there's an apostrophe after a plural noun. There's a question which reverses the words It and is at the beginning.

It's the sort of detail that wouldn't ordinarily be overlooked at that "level." Maybe it was rushed. Maybe it went through different channels for some reason. Somebody pointed out that Rosalie didn't respond. Was Rosalie even informed? Is this palace intrigue, a palace coup? Who was hiding what, and from whom???

Harvey

I posted this question on another thread but since we have your attention here perhaps you could answer this question. Assuming that I buy your argument about the 501C3 which I do not. As others here have pointed out you have all sorts of employees doing non ministry jobs. The Way Bookstore is not part of your 501C3 but a taxable for profit company.

Tell me again why can't it employ people who could care for Mrs. Wierwille as part of their job. The IRS could care less what jobs employees do. Do you think they go to Walmart and check the duty roster for each employee? As long as they get their employee tax money they don't care what you do for a job. The Way bookstore is a money making business (well it used to be when you sold books to people that is) just like mine is I can pay people to pick their noses all day long if I want to. As long as my taxes are paid it is nobodys business.

So if you really wanted to help would this not be an option? Rather than hiding behind a tax shelter.

Without Coffee

I Would Have No Personality At All

Instant Human Just Add Coffee

QQ - The document was originally sent in PDF form. The Way also agreed to send me the letter as a Word file, allowing it to be read more clearly. I copied that into the HTML pages which are currently on the site. It was my intention that their words appear exactly as they sent them. I would certainly want to change anything which was inadvertantly altered by me.

PDF version of letter for download

[This message was edited by pamsandiego on October 25, 2003 at 15:52.]

Whew - long letter...

I'm not going to add much to what has already been said.

It is pretty well known that, other than Don, the Wierwille children were not allowed on the grounds of The Way International without severe restrictions. When they wanted to visit their mother they chose to meet off grounds to avoid all the conditions put on them by TWI.

So of course Don and Wanda were her primary care-givers for the last 18 years. Neither JP or any of his sisters were permitted into the home they grew up in for any length of time if and when they wanted to take care of her or share that responsiblity with Don & Wanda.

I can hardly believe the VP of TWI even suggests that the Wierwille children didn't want to care for their mother.

quote:
"If you were dissatisfied with the care provided to your mother, there was nothing that would have precluded you from bringing her into your home for care."

IMO, and it's only my opinion, I seriously doubt that TWI would have allowed her to leave her home, that she would have wanted to leave her home of so many years, or that none of her children offered to take care of her, either in her home or theirs.

This whole thing is very sad. Perhaps many of these details shouldn't have been made public in the first place. I don't know....

I hope this is settled soon.

Hope R. color>size>face>

[This message was edited by Hope R. on October 25, 2003 at 16:06.]

It seems very interesting to me that TWI & JP's points of view are being aired out on greasespot. The father of JP has been ripped good on here which I wonder what he really thinks of that. It's gotta hurt whether it's justified or not & now TWI cares what we ex-wayfers think ? I think that what keeps me coming back to this site. So much drama ! By the way (no pun intended !) Just my opinion for the "talk radio" of ex wayfers ! I love this site !

I am glad that TWI has finally decided to communicate. It's about time they decided to set a precedent. It is long overdue. I do not really know all the facts about this situtation and feel this dispute is between the parties involved. On the surface Mr. Platig's response letter seems malicious. Is that necessary? Why bring up anything about an inheritance? What planet is that from? They seem so conspiratorial. Are they afraid of losing more followers, more revenue? I still remain confused about their actions and statements.

Much of this negative publicity has been brought upon themselves due to their years of meanness towards good people. Maybe TWI should ask themselves why and how this mess came to be in the first place.

I agree with several others who have observed the obvious. If they are so concerned about this matter and posting the real truth in this situation why are they asking Grease Spot to use its server space to host their own letter?

Why did they not post this letter on their own server space on their own website and ask Grease Spot to make a link to it?

1. Maybe they are afraid of looking bad to their own followers.

2. Maybe they want Grease Spot to do their dirty work for them.

3. Maybe they know that Grease Spot is far more widely read than TWI's website. Personally I consider it a way to "fellowship daily" with other Christians from all over the world. Where is their discussion forum?

4. Maybe they know that many of their own followers read Grease Spot regularly in order to remain informed of basic facts and developments that seem to remain hidden.

I am not sure why they seem to fear openness and dialogue, both positive and negative. The world wide web is here to stay and more high speed connections are being installed each and every day.

They might as well get used to it.

[This message was edited by igotout on October 25, 2003 at 17:47.]

OK it is time for my local non way ever view point.

Harve I am glad that you have responded on greasespot because I would have never seen the response on twi website.

I do not think that the main issue is that dorthea is in the nursing home because I am sure that she is being well taken care of there. In my opinion the issue is that you are trying to "pass the buck" as to how she got there and to who is to pay for her care.

I think that everyone would not be so angered and asking so many questions if dortheas whole family would have been treated better in the past.

I was hoping that dee & dorthea would be at the same nursing center but that is not the case. I hope that dee is able to see dorthea because they used to spend a nice amount of time together.

Harve, I hope that you are willing to answer a lot of the questions that are flying your direction.

Oh and if it matters or not, I am just a local that has never been with twi and will never be with twi but I have had many friends that were in or are still in so I definately hear things from all angles.

Best of luck to you and I hope that in years in to come when you are no longer involved with twi that you will look back on these days and be glad that they are over.

loving life and trying to help others love it too

Well stated New Knoxville Native. I agree with your viewpoint. These men need to really start thinking of their future and that of their families if they have not already done so.

If they get honest, are they REALLY happy in their current situation? Do they know what they might be missing in life? In our aging years we have one last shot at really enjoying our lives to the fullest. Life is too short to be holed up in a seemingly isolated and bleak situation, surrounded by stress and day to day tensions.

For their information, it is NOT that way in all of life. Maybe they have grown so used to "the battle" that they think life is a battle. It is not. If it is, it is time for a change.

How many dozens of people even in in my small circle of friends have said they are so much better off after having made a drastic change regarding their involvement in TWI.

In the context of staff and top leadership, in my opinion it is far more scary to stay than to leave.

[This message was edited by igotout on October 25, 2003 at 17:42.]

I see this from two sides, first from twi's pov...

Ummm well there is none icon_eek.gif

Next from my pov...

Those promises made years ago concerning Mrs W's care are twi's ethical obligations to fullfil pure and simple. They should expend every effort to fullfil Dr's directives concerning Mrs W's care and do so joyfully and with great zeal as God requires this of them.

That said, it shouldn't come as any surprise to learn that twi does not keep their word. Think of all the promises made to the hundreds (if not thousands) of believers who through the years got the shaft from twi.

If you cannot trust someone to keep their word, then what have you? A cluster fck fer starters, one that should send their remaining

followers RUNNING with their abs to some other church offshoot or coven.

I really do believe these guys are trying to run off as many people as possible. Whoever convinced them to do this outlandish thing had to have been a graduate of else m's spiritual warfare and corperate stratagies class (now available on betamax).

All I can say to harve and the bod is that the

pit you dig today may be the one you fall in tommorrow.

Good Luck sorting this out you guys

Raf, LOL!

btw, reading the pdf, which is a re-read for me, from the html Paw first posted, it is very apparent this letter was written by an attorney.

It is direct. It states that it challenges JP's motives, and it does so.

Does it do so credibly? I don't know.

A lot of the posts on this thread carry baggage from people's history and experience in twi. Some of it might be good insight into the letter's ulterior motives.

But from my view, the letter does two main things: first, the challenge to JP's motives.

Second, it sets a standard for care for themselves. That they have released this publicly is noteworthy.

It is something that JP and his sisters can use for accountability, whether they agree with any facts as set forth in the letter or not.

But the bottom line is that it was written by an attorney, not by Harve Platig.

Harve just signed it because he is the ranking male on the BOD, which appears designed to give it the appearance of authority.

So, where was it ever implied by JP to collect $$$$$$$$ for his mother?s care expenses????? I saw where a greasespot came up with that idea and now we see the implication by Harv JP really has a hidden motive.

Harv,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when you polish a turd you know what you get all over yourself don?t ya??????????????

God Bless America; SIZE>

Grizz SIZE>

Me Too Rafael,

By airing this letter, TWI has now made an official acknowledgement of Greasespot Cafe - and it ability to get information to both ex-way people and to innies.

It seems to me that Harve and gang chose GS as the method to get TWI's spin on this situation to many of their own people - those who they can no longer contol and keep off of the Internet and GS. If the past is any indicator, it is certain that TWI dosen't care what the ex-way community or the general public thinks about them, since they have never responded to the many things discussed here, some of which are quite damning. So I gotta believe that Harve's letter to JP is more for the innies who venture onto the Internet than for the rest of us. It is more damage control than anything else. How many more followers can they afford to loose? JP's letter must have struck a real nerve, thus Harve's response - or more accurately, counter attack.

In Harve's letter, he used the word "precedent" in regards to using Greasespot Cafe for this recent communication. Can we possibly assume that this letter to JP is only the first public communication and that there may be more to come?

Goey

"Most of my fondest memories in TWI never really happened"

Dear Mr. Platig,

This whole thing with Mrs. VPW is just a symptom of a far deeper problem. It?s great that you responded and gave your side of the story. What is disturbing and down right disgusting is that the real cause lies at the feet of Way leadership past and present. The Way Ministry leadership started the mess we have today years ago with its own legalistic hurtful practices.

? Do I need to remind you that the Wierwille siblings were kicked out of the Way by your illustrious X ? President?

? Do I need to remind you that the Way is a controlling legalistic organization that would not let Mrs. Wierwilles? children visit her and care for her?

? Do I need to remind you that countless other people who were a part of the Way at one time had their lives horribly damaged and at times destroyed?

? Do I need to remind you that the real problem was that Way leader?s especially upper leadership allowed or followed the example of Craig Martindale and let these things happen?

? Most of all do I need to remind you that the great majority of these people had nothing wrong with them!

Get honest Harv about how this whole thing got started and where the blame lies. I would probably still be with TWI if someone in upper leadership would of gotten humble before God and done something about the injustices committed by Way leadership. I even stuck around for a while after LCM was dismissed to see if someone anyone in upper leadership would get humble and apologize for what has gone on but I?m still waiting and it looks like it may never come.

There have been many in upper leadership that spoke up since LCM was dismissed but to my knowledge most all of those men and women have been forced out of your organization or left on their own.

I find it equally deplorable that there have been many other stories and letters posted on Greasespot detailing far worse abuses by Way leaders yet no response, no letter, no explanation, nothing.

God instructs us not to be a respector of persons yet it has taken an incident with Mrs. VPW to get you and your fellow BOD members to take the time to offer an explanation.

Awake to Righteousness is the call from the Word of God to the leaders of the Way.

Living and Loving Life,

Godisgoodalways

Gosh, I'm thinking a quick phone call, at the very least, to JP and finding out his true thoughts on this matter would've been more appropriate.

All this back and forth letter writing crap doesn't seem to be answering questions.

This the first acknowledgement of GS Cafe's existence by twi, right?

I'm not holding my breath there'll be more of where that came from.

corrydj

NEVER KICK A COW CHIP ON A HOT DAY!!