GreaseSpot Cafe

I wanna move to Texas

J0nny Ling0

I have been offered a job by my brother in law who owns a successful business selling steel building packages. He wants me to sell for him, for, he says; "You have the gift of gab". I would sorely miss Alaska, and all of the fresh sea food, the sport fishing and hunting, the bears in the yard, the eagles overhead, and evn that lonely old local wolf.

But, I could experience sunshine, and thunderstorms! And the smell of sage bushes after a rain! I could get another horse or maybe two! And there'd be snakes, and lizards to catch, and all of that cool stuff!

And my kids could experience swimming in a pool Outside, or go inner tubing down a river, and my wife could get her sexy tan line back! Yeah, I am seriously considering it to be sure...Yeah, down in Canyon Texas, near the Palo Duro...

Johnny,

Is your brother-in-law offering a base salary along with commission?

I worked with people in the steel building sales industry. I saw them live large, and I saw them live through frustration because they lived on commission only. Some people seem to be OK in this kind of life. I also saw a lot of frustration with the building supplier (a large company out of Texas) because they seemed to deliver buildings with missing parts (more than I would expect). When the sales people called to notify the supplier about the missing parts, they said they looked at the video when the truck was loaded and saw the items were loaded. The sales people couldn't verify as they were in California.

I don't mean to sound negative, but these are the things I know from my experience with the industry.

Boy thats a seriously tough call.

At my age, after the seven trillion moves and finally finding a place I love, it would take something real tempting like that for me to uproot again, although I wouldn't mind finding somewhere warmer just for winter.

It will be new and fun when you get there but might wear thin after that.

Can you do some months in Texas, and some months in Alaska?

Thats what I might shoot for if I were in your shoes, then adapt as things became more obvious,

but I obviously dont know all the intricacies of your situation either.

Good luck

Well ya know, if I were in Texas, I would be closer to my Strange friend Tom.....

But, for us, there would be a lot of economic sense to it. We earn $3000.00 a month from a source other than our income from working, but 2/3d's of that goes to our $2000.00 a month housing expenses. My brother in law down in Canyon, TX just bought a house for his son for only $123,000.00, and the house is new, three bedrooms, and is on two acres. A similar house here in Juneau would cost no less than $300,000.00

We own a house in Haines, AK, that we could sell for $230,000.00, but only owe $125,000.00 on. With that hefty profit, we could move to TX, put a hefty chunk down on a piece of property with a nice new house, and have low low payments compared to what we have to pay here. It would kinda be like: "We went to Alaska to find the gold, and now that we have it, now we go back to the "Sunkist Santa Clara Valley", and live "more betterly" because of the profits. And besides, the cold and the damp has been rough on Mrs. Lingo's scoliosis. I mean to tell ya, she is a living barometer to be sure. If a wet cold front is coming, she knows the day before. Headaches, back pain, the works. And so maybe it is time. Time to come on back down.

But geez, all of those damned people! Seems kinda scairy. Plus, it ain't civilized down there! There's mother rapers an father stabbers, and tornadoes and floods, and hurricanes an probly himmicanes too! And then there's traffic! We get upset around here if we have to sit at a light for more than a coupla minutes.

But then again, there is music down in Austin, and even though I hates "opera" , I could at least say that "there's an opera goin on up in Amarilla....."

Shoot, I dunno. So many pros and cons it seems. I do like the idea of goin swimmin in a windmill water tank or even floating down the San Marcos River on an inner tube. Didja know that people do that all of the time? And that there is a bus shuttle service picking up inner tubers to take 'em back to their cars? And on one of those Texas lakes, there is a "barbecue float" where you can pull up with your boat and "order up" a fine mess of ribs....

Or, Temple Lady, has Cabin Fever finally taken me under? Am I down for the count? It's just been so damned cold and wet here in Southeast, that I think it's gittin to me finally.....

Gawd, Johnny, come.

If you are an outdoorsy person like moi, who loves horses and dogs and smellin trees and flowers, and fishin, hunting, and the like, it is total paradise here. I swear, and you know me, I don't swear often.

You even get to kill a snake or two when ya need to, but gosh, we have the best life here. And there is always shark fishin off the pier in Galveston......

I love it, but then being a shorts, flipflop kinda person helps.

Oh Yeah, in my other life, I am a designer who dresses and wears make-up and meets with serious clients and such. We've got the best of all worlds here. :D

If it were me, I'd take the money and run. Not to Texas maybe, but somewhere I wouldn't have to freeze my gotchies off 9 months out of the year.

Which reminds me. Did you ever get the little 1940s Alaska postcards I sent you? You can use those to remember what the Great White North looks like while fishing and hiking and feeling the sun on your face. (If you didn't get them, I'll be pi$$ed at the US Postal Service.)

You have to decide what will make you and your family happy. But as you get older (and trust me, that will happen sooner than you think), the harsh Alaska climate might have less and less appeal.

When is salmon fishing?

I am a critter loving gal, so my horses and dogs and bazillion cats are what makes me happy.

I can equally see the appeal of living in Ak...and have always dreamed of doing so ...living in a remote cabin, watching the dear and wildlife wander through the back yard...but that is what the summer cabin in the michigan u.p. is all about :)

Jonny, my parents lived (and raised us kids) in the same small town for over 40 years. Three years ago they moved when Daddy got a great job offer. Everyone thought they would hate it since they had built their own little paradise in Mississippi - great friends - great things to do, etc.

They have thrived in their new town, established themselves in the community, made great friends and enjoy doing different, but equally as exciting things...basically, they have another paradise for them. My mom is healthier and stronger and better than I've ever seen her. It's scary, to be sure, and Mom was nervous as all get out about leaving her "home", but they really do love it.

Sounds like the pros outweigh the cons, imo. And "who says you can't go home?" ;) I think you'd love the outdoors of TX. New things to adjust to, but you had to do that in Alaska, too, no? Traffic? Yeah, it sux, but you get used to it and you seem like the kind of guy who would get a kick out of finding those little travelled backroads to avoid the main highways and interstate parking lots. It's a puzzle for me and now, I can get just about anywhere in the Central FL area without ever touching a main thoroughfare.

Sounds like a plan Jonny, but I would consider several variables.

Sounds like you want to live out in the country, or far suburbs. You would have to consider how long your commute from there would be into the city, with gas, and travel time. Some of the bigger cities in Texas have massive traffic. If you lived in the country would a one hour or two hour drive every morning and every evening, every single week day be ok with you?

How much cheaper would it really be than alaska?

and you're right, it is more "uncivilized." Would you really be spending every weekend fishing and rafting down the river? It could be a trek to get to those places.

We are older. Sometimes you gotta stay where you are, make your money for retirement.

If I were in your shoes, I figure when I could retire and with how much, and buy a home near where you want to do all the stuff and do it every day.

Also, its not easy starting over at our age. You'll find your expenses down there a bit more than you think.

also commissioned sales is not easy. Many people are great schmoozers but not good sales people. In sales, its not a 9-5 job. You'll be meeting with and wining and dining with clients during the evenings, be expected to show them a good time when they suddently pop into town, meet with them on weekends, etc. Your life will be less your own.

You seem to enjoy the sea and the life you have now. I wouldn't be so quick to walk away from it.

Just playing the devils advocate - You should do what makes you and your wife happy.

Maybe you just need a vacation for a month or so.

If you can deal with all that, go for it.

You're talking about just south of Amarillo, right? It shouldn't be too bad. I would defintely do your homework on how much construction work is available in the area. Granted, Amarillo gets it's share of storms, and the area is growing, but there is a lot of competition because of storm chasers, so you have to be able to hustle and make sure your suppliers can do what you need them to do.

Otherwise, I know you'd love it. Only you really know what's best for you and your family. So go on down when yuor ready, and be ready to fall in love with Texas!

I guess we could let you, Mrs Lingo, the Lingoettes and the cattle in... :)

Lots of good points from a lot of folks... you will be a long way from the ocean though... can you take that? If you want to go to the mountains and snow though, heck... they're gonna be closer to you than 'tubing down in San Marcos'... but you seem like the kind of guy that can make his own happiness where ever he is... plus you'll be nearer to Mrs.L's family right?

Will you be working in Canyon? or just living there and selling 'all over the place'? ...you shouldn't have to worry much about traffic there... have you ever visited there?

Maybe something to consider is you and the Mrs going down for a couple of weeks to visit the area...

Well, Mrs Lingo and I are in fact going to go down for an exploratory veezit as a matter of fact...

And yeah being away from the ocean will be kinda weird. I love the Sea...

And have I been to Canyon? Well, I have hitch hiked through there four different times on my way to LEAD and back twice...I seem to remember Hereford better though, in that we were stuck there for hours and hours until the sun finally came up. The people down there treated us pretty good at a cafe where we got some coffee and broke into my "ten dollars". Never been treated so royally in all my life....'bout froze to death...

And we'd work out of there where my brother in law has his newly purchased seven acres and steel building/shop/warehouse.

And it may be a purdy good drive over to New Mexico, but there's lots to do over there, and the Sangre De Christos are not so far from all of that. Alamosa, the Purple Pig Saloon...

We are going to go down the weekend after Memorial Day Weekend. That will be our Las Vegas trip, "redirected".

Johnny, you don't know me, and frankly there is no reason for you to listen to my advice, but DO NOT TRADE ALASKA FOR TEXAS. Do yourself a favor and take a vacation down there first for 3 or 4 weeks. Do it in July or August. Only after you have done this should you seriously consider the move. Alaska is absolutely stunning. I wouldn't even consider such a move. Just my two cents worth.

I lived in Texas for 4 years. It was fun while I was there. When I left, I was ready to leave. It took me about 2 years to get rid of the "damn yankee" names.:) The people are nice. I lived in Waco (in between Austin and Dallas) and the Midland (west Texas flat, dry desert). Nobody in their right mind should live in Midland. As a matter of fact, I wasn't in my right mind when I lived there (I was under the influence of a cult). Actually I was sent WOW there. It's the most desolate place I've ever lived, and I live in the Arizona desert right now. If I were to ever go back, it would have to be Austin or San Antonio for me. $123,000 for a new house on 2 acres.....now that is dang cheap!!!

NLL

You are right Alaska is stunning. I have lived up here for 18 years, and I will keep a nice piece of property that we own in Haines http://www.pbase.com/wolfwehnert/image/6303347

But, I am five thousand miles from my family, and particularly, my Mom, my four kids's Grandmother who is 85...

And Wayfernot, I have a good pal who was sent to Midland as a WOW. St*ve B*rd*n I went to visit him there, and damn was it desolate, like you said. The Amarillo/Canyon area is not like Odessa. They actually have "winter" there, unlike down around Austin an places south of there, and I have spent considerable time there and driving back and forth from the Oklahoma panhandle town of Texhoma. We lived in Texhoma for a year and a half. And that's Texhoma, not to be confused with Texoma down by the Red River, north of Dallas.

So, I am familiar with the area. And I speak purdy good Espanol also.

And umm, thank you all very much for your input, and Doojable and EX10, you are so cool to be nice to me and welcome me to the Great State of Texas, should we make the move! You too Strange Tom. I am somewhat of a butt head around here some times, and so, thanks for the kindness....

And Dooj, where in Tejas are you?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

As one who has lived near the Texas coast for 25 years, I say, Do it, Johnny! If a hurricane ever hits Canyon, it will have wiped out almost ALL of Texas to get there. Canyon is probably closer to St. Louis than to Houston. And bring your snow shovel. Amarillo gets its fair share of the white stuff. (Heck, we even had fifteen inches on Christmas Eve here on teh coast in 2004! Of course, that was a REAL record-breaker!)

I remember seeing a cartoon in a magazine years ago with an interviewer talking to a short-sleeved Santa, with elves in the background woring under a palm tree. Santa says, "I've never regretted relocating to Florida!" That's how I feel about moving from Chicago to Texas. "Rita" made life a little uncomfortable last year, but you'll never have THOSE worries!

George

And so George, are you actually in Amarilla? Heve you ever eaten "The Big Texan"? You know, that Big Steak at that restaurant where Wayne Clapp allegedly at the whole thing, asked for a beer and some pie, and angered the manager?

Yeah, I remember hitching through there on my way to LEAD and going through a major snow storm.....

Porphyra Selenafeggos:

What a name! What does it mean?

And, where in Texas are you moving?

Jonny - I am here in the fair city of Fort Worth! If you and the missus come here I can bring you to the gallery where my work hangs and then I'll cook you the best meal you've ever eaten - unless you want those lobsters from coolchef! There's no way I can compete with fresh lobster!

Come on down y'all!

Edited by doojable

Jonny...Although I now reside in the great state of Ohio, I lived in Texas for 17 years!

It's a magical state...the people there feel that Texas is it's own sovereign nation. They have a pride in their state like nowhere else....

...and it's well justified. The culture of Texas, the fresh seafood from the gulf, the Mexican influence, the climate, the social offerings...the whole package...it's well worth your investment of time and heart. I wholeheartedly recommend it....especially the part you are talking about...your entire life would be like a Roy Roger's movie... :wave: