GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Corps Chalet or Presidents Home?

igotout

This has been discussed before but for those who may not remember here is a picture of what was originally promoted at "The Way Corps Chalet". It was to be a haven for any Way Corps who wanted to visit HQ freely any time they wanted. For example, if you were traveling in the area you could stop by and have a place to hang out and stay a while. I remember working hard on the plumbing of this building, under construction in 1978 and finished I believe the following year.

It shortly after became the Presidents home. No Way Corps were allowed to "chill" on that secured and guarded property as I recall. We all know what happens now if you try to freely visit TWI and hang out. (Just ask Doug McMullan.)

I refused to call it by that name in all the 21 years following that I stayed in TWI. I still referred to it as the Corps Chalet because I felt as if we were misled.....again.

Does anyone have more details or memories or insight about the Way Corps Chalet Presidents Home? I have also heard it has been a maintenance nightmare.

CorpsChalet1986b.jpg

CorpsChalet3.jpg

CorpsChalet2med.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was still a newbie when the chalet was built and not aware of how the building of this thing was promoted.

But, when I was in-rez (late 1980s) we were given a tour of the place and told that it was originally intended to be a new residence for VPW and Dotsie. He was gonna hang out there, and let the corps hang out there and fellowship. But after he spent a very short time there he decided he HATED it. He missed his own home and decided not to move afterall. (so much for thinking things through, counting the cost, revelation, etc.)

So, now they had this big, expensive building standing empty. Most of us would say, "More room for the visiting corps!!!" But no, they decided that Craig and Donna now needed a place at HQ of their own, and Vic "gave" the chalet to them. Once Craiggers moved in, because they had little kids and all, they had to use more of the space themselves, and of course, they couldn't have corps breezing in and out, so, everything changed. The place became more and more of a fortress. Finally resulting in the entire wooded area being off limits to anyone but them. (so much for being good to the household)

Typical of twi, they didn't inform people about why, or apologize, or act like they had falsely advertise, promote, fund-raise, etc. Nothing. Nadda. Zip.

As for the maintenance nightmare, I know that the log-home company that provided it is still in business... did they not realize that the climate was completely different from where these logs originated? Or did the leadership of twi ignore their warnings?

.....the rock and stone was for the fireplace....

I was at HQ my interim year when the kork Chalet went up. Another grifter LIE...it was for the Corps to use, not lcm. More smarm and silky smooth bs from vpw, con man of con men....

a WHOLE lot of heart and love went into it or it would have ROTTED to the ground by now....

grrrrrrrrrrrr

Damn-straight......wierwille told the corps, month after month, that The Corps Chalet was for way corps use. The whole structure was built with an open concept.......big kitchen area, fireplace setting, the wrap-around upper deck, etc. All of this with way corps having a place to fellowship....and 4 "corps-tels" on the west side.

Wierwille flat-out betrayed us......

:realmad::realmad::realmad:

There was never any mention of wierwille or lcm staying there. It was all hyped as a place for the visiting corpes.

But who the heck was going to argue when wierwille siezed it for himself....when that was done....he immediatly handed it off to lcm.

There wasn`t any discussion or justifying it...they just did it.

Pretty slick ... had lcm just declared ownership for himself upon the date of completion...there would have been more of a backlash I`m thinking.

Edited by rascal

I think I remember something about veepee and Dotsie supposed to be living there in their golden years... AND that any Corps would be welcome to come and go and use it... hanging out with them... not intruding on them... kind of like when you'd go to visit your parents or grandparents...

but then my memory isn't so good these days... and either way, it was TAKEN OVER by lcm and his most imortant above any promises or corps family...

Likeaneagle,I remember when those guys were building that loghome---it was right doown the road from the way home on Dillys road...

I had thought that the spirit of the corps chalet was that any wayfaring corps that was passing through,or simply wanted to hang at hq could stay there gratis....It seemed like what actually was the case was that when way corps were called in for some sort of ministry function or meeting,then the region leaders and such got to stay there and the rest of the corps were on their own...I stayed there once,about 1982,when there was some kind of regional corpse meeting at hq. ...But there were about 30 of us,and we all slept on the floor throughout the house---I don't know who got to stay in the posh guest rooms....

I worked way builders my interum year,and Buddy C---y was called in to help coordinate wb.....I enjoyed working with him and got to be his bitch for a while...I remember working with him in one of the guest rooms,and we were nailing something up on one of the interior walls and we heard a noise coming from the adjacent room like dishes falling and breaking....We went to go see what it was and it turned out to be all the bathroom tile in the adjoining room was falling off the wall into the bathtub from the impact of our pounding :blink: ....Fortunately,with the available cheap labor,it wasn't too costly to the ministry to redo the tile again until we got it right...

So I guess the Corps Chalet is out for Corps Week and ROA next month...

Looks like I will be at the Best Western - Botkins. Unless Igotsome invites me to sojourn at the St Mary's Motel. Or maybe I can commute from FL with Ambassador 7. Or maybe stay with Simoneon in the luxurious Corps tents, basking in the open-air sauna, more blessed than I already will be...

Speaking of pick pocketting, who is in Bo Reahard's home now??

I "had the privilage" of sleeping in the Corps chalet once during my interim year in Il. we had some kind of advance or something at HQ and where invited to sleep on the floor in the loft. I remember when king Craig came in we had to be quiet, couldn't use the bathroom because it was for the LCM family, yet we endured with full bladders and sore backs becasue we had the privilage of sleeping in such a beautiful and spiritual place - what a crock that was.

I never "had the privilage" though of working on the chalet. some of my other Corps brothers and sisters did though - cheap and good labor. I just wasn't "good Enough".

Hey,tuttle,..wouldn't it be sumthin' if we took the way limo on a joyride,and brought along Buddy Curry as our bodyguard,and went witnessing to some young waitresses at Adolph's,and told them "the Way" was the name of our rockabilly band,and brouht them to the hanger in New Bremen and told them we used Ambassador I to get to our concerts,and showed them the new and the vintage Harleys and promised to give them rides,then brought them 'home' to the corps chalet and told them it was our summer cottage,and then tried to teach them the manifestation of tongues and gifts of feelings,.....

Hey,hey,hey...stranger....whatchu got against '72 f-150's with a camper shell?...

Hey,hey,hey...stranger....whatchu got against '72 f-150's with a camper shell?...

I have anticipated this question from my brother simonzeeloaded... and the answer is 'nothing'... and I sure did appreciate it when everyone else was lying in the mudpuddles... I prefer this new and improved mode of camping at the rock!

".........and then tried to teach them the manifestation of tongues and gifts of feelings,....."

Simon :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

"Buddy Curries bitch...." :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I was several people's bitch on my interin year in WB, couple years before you I think. It was fun, though, because it was so pathetic. Cheap beer was my friend that year. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Bo's house? You mean the one he and his dad paid for with their own money and for which he never received a penny in reimbursement or resale or rent? Not sure. I can ask him next time I see him. He might know, but maybe not. They still hear from innies on staff, ha.

I thought I remember hearing Nik Maxsxon and his wife lived there? Not sure. Does Nik still play the great organ?