GreaseSpot Cafe

Meeting phobias

Dot Matrix

After leaving TWI in the later 80's I hated meetings.

I could not handle being in a room away from a door.

So, for years I was really a mess when I had to go to a meeting or an after work class.

TODAY, after about 18/20 years I am finally ready to attend a meeting and not having a sick claustrophobic feeling.

I had meetig gross out for about 20 years from their insanity. Meetings all day in the corps, on the field, on Tesday on Thursday, branch meetings, area meetings, meetings with your area leaders....

And if you just wanted to stay home you were looked at like a trouble making pagan. I hated sitting ALL that time in a chair, in a room, listening to the pompus A zz or A zzus in charge, I cannot believe it affected me that long!

yeah...what you said.

I sat through more meetings than I care to think about...very few of them were anything more than religious rituals and cult conditioning...we musta been nuts!

...and they would give you HELL if you were late! They shoulda been happy that I even showed up at all! :realmad:

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

How funny. I was just thinking about this too. "Meetings" make my skin crawl. Call it a "get together," "coffee," ANYTHING but a meeting and I will be better off. Our HF "meetings" got so ritualistic and religious they made any RC mass seem like a free-for-all! I actually still have dreams - nightmares - about meetings and I am usually late to them.

:sleep1: Don't know which was worse sometimes. Having to sit through meetings for hours or having to put up with BC b***s*** doing the setup & tear down on them. Our BCs would use a yard stick & the dreaded string to check every bit of the room when you set up. They even inspected restrooms to see how you did. God help you if you missed a speck of dirt. Oh, if you didn't hurry up & volunteer for evry meeting, you were not blessing the household and God couldn't bless you. Had one meeting after a night shift. Even though I got off work at 8:00 AM, it was suggested that I make the 40 mile drive & be ready to do set up for a meeting at 10:00 AM. Oi Vey!!!!! What a crock! :sleep1:

I recall one of the posters here told me she went to a Xwafer reunion meeting of sorts, the only reason she went was so she could leave.

She needed to go and to be able to walk out guilt free to help her get over the phobias

I went to community college right after I left the corps. I found myself in the parking lot, I drove all the way to campus, I did my homework, I was ready, and sat there unable to get out of the car and go in.

I am claustrophobic. Until reading this thread, it never occurred to me that it could be related to TWI meeting-itis. Very interesting.

You weren't at enough meetings before saying you were claustrophobic to get it from twi, dude.

You were already claustro sometime before ROA '89, which was the first time I heard

you mention it. Before that, you were part of the group in an investigative capacity,

and not in the chain of command.

=======

Actually, I take that back.

I MENTIONED IT ALOUD at ROA '89, which means I knew BEFORE then.

So that means it wasn't news that summer, which pushes it back a few months.

Edited by WordWolf

The only time I ever had an issue with this was when I was working for a large corp who liked to do a lot of "team building". They brought in a speaker one time who had us sit in a circle with a little book he'd given to us, and asked us to share a recent incident. He insisted we began the incident with, "There I was...." (Sound familiar?) :blink: I wanted to blow beets. Creeped me out!

Other than that, I could sit and listen to engineers and marketing people talk about steam turbines and other energy products, and how to sell them, all day long and it was FAR more interesting than anything I'd head out of HQ in eons!

I tried to participate in the church's "Forty Days of Purpose" small groups. We met in the homes, watched a video and then followed a syllabus.... Not only was the material performance based like TWI, but the whole thing reeked of it. I had to quit going, but not before speaking my peace about the things I disagreed with that the guy was saying. The other girls in our group agreed with me and it was a big deal to me that they allowed me to disagree and to back out of the meetings with no condmenation or judgment.

I still avoid any kind of meeting or gathering in a person's home, but do enjoy my church when I go.

dot, i think that was me

i purposely kept getting up and walking out to have a smoke

then when i came back in i just hung in the back and would not sit down

i waited to be yelled at so i could freak out and scream in front of everyone

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

--

when i was working in corporate, i had to go to a supervisor training center and sit in meetings and classes

i did nothing but send silly notes to my coworkers and make them laugh

well okay so i did that in the corps too