GreaseSpot Cafe

Southern Heritage

Sudo

Hey everybody!

I hope everyone’s had a great weekend because I sure have. I was sitting here thinking about what a great time I had yesterday down at Ole Miss. The Fall weather was gorgeous (how I LOVE this time of year!) our Rebels beat Vanderbilt and it was home coming weekend! But there was something else. After the game and all the Ole Miss fans were celebrating, the band was playing stirring tunes like our fight song and the Vanderbilt fans just sucked it up :biglaugh: . Then the band broke into a slow version of Dixie. The mood changed. Instead of jumping up and down and shouting, folks got somber and many even locked arms and swayed with the music.. even the VANDERBILT fans! Vanderbilt is in Nashville, you see.

It was a moment of commemorating our Southern roots. Its very similar to the way we all feel about our country when the Star Spangled Banner is played and performed by an artist who really does it justice. But this was a little different in that was cultural.. not nationalistic. And I got to thinking that lots of folks wouldn’t “get it”. Maybe even get upset that it was a racial issue even though we were all arm in arm.. blacks and whites together. I’m used to it. When I lived in Philadelphia, I experienced what folks (at least back then) thought about Southerners. Most thought we sounded ignorant and were all Jethro Bodine’s or Boss Hogg’s :( .

But I’m not posting this to get mad at anybody, rather, I found myself feeling sorry for those who DON’T have strong regional pride. It’s like we Southerners have something the rest of the country is lacking. Because for the most part, most Americans had just as soon live anywhere they can get the best job or where there family lives. But regional preferences? Maybe the weather influences those choices somewhat but it appears to me that little else does.

Am I out of line here? Is there still regional pride and (dare I say it, Scarlett?) love?

I couldn’t find the Ole Miss band version of slow Dixie but click on the Colonel Rebel Picture below and listen to a version that always brings a tear to my eye. Does any other region of the country have anything close to this??

ColReb.jpg

sudo

Ive taken about 6 trips throughout the southern states in the last few years and i have really learned to like it---well love it really---There is an interesting way of life that I have found doesnt exist in other parts of the country that Ive been to--that has a real and definite charm to it...when you take the time to experience it. I was in Mississippi myself about amonth ago---and I was totally charmed.

Being a northerner it will never really be as much a part of me as someone bred in the atmosphere but I can say that I do see it and can appreciate it, as well as all the little sub cultures from state to state

I dont know if I would ever change being a New Englander --Ive moved several times and always come back--there is a *something* about this area that also becomes part of you, as much as I can bitch about the winter weather, it has a harder to define appeal that I do love and always calls me 'home'-- but in a much different way than the regionalism that runs through the south

Edited by mstar1

Well, Geo, if you ever do have to come back let me know and I'll make sure my kinfolks take right good care of you. :biglaugh:

Southern culture and pride is definitely something unique unto itself. I meet all kinds of obnoxiously rude New Yorker, Peurto Ricans and "New Ricans" who brag about where they're from, but after a few minutes, you realize that they are just pulling your leg cause otherwise why would they be living here now? :wink2: Besides that, the things they brag about really have nothing to do with the area and the culture, but more about "union power" and the price of wages - never mind that the price of things is also extremely high... :rolleyes:

I think Texans have the same kind of pride but consider themselves very different and separate from the rest of "The South". They have pride in their history, their local heroes, their hospitality, ethics, food, charity and sense of belonging and like everyone from Texas is part of one huge family - just like we do in our south.

I terribly miss the "true south"! Florida is NOT the south. I also miss the change of seasons and football season is my absolute favorite! (We call it football season, not "fall" among SEC fans) I also miss good southern cooking and the quirky nature and culture of the south. Hopefully I'll get to move back that way some day.

Being a true MSU fan, Sudo, I do still mutter "Go to hell Ole Miss" under my breath after every benediction. :biglaugh:

before anyone gets their panties in a wad, please note that I did not say ALL New Yorkers; I did not say ALL Puerto Ricans and I did not say ALL New Ricans.....

Maybe the "obnoxious New Yorkers" got sent there as WOWs and couldn't afford to leave. :evilshades:

before anyone gets their panties in a wad, please note that I did not say ALL New Yorkers; I did not say ALL Puerto Ricans and I did not say ALL New Ricans.....
No, you said
I meet all kinds of obnoxiously rude New Yorker, Peurto Ricans and "New Ricans"
That "rudeness" - part of our culture :spy:

Where's my panties? I want to wad 'em

I love being an American by birth, and a Southerner by the Grace of God! Just no place like Dixie. Love the cadence of life, the ambience of hospitality, the pride in the history. Elvis's Dixie sends chills through me. And singing Dixie in the Grove with the Ole Miss band is a delicious experience. Hope I can make it to at least one game this year! Yes, I'm glad to be a Dixie Girl!

Suda

dmiller,

Many thanks for the tribute. Always love hearing it.

And Oakspear, your welcome for the panties. Am so glad you are from southern New York. That saved you, bud! Or should I say, Bubba?

Suda

Edited by sudossuda

I come from poor white trash Kentucky coalminer roots on my mom's side and poor white trash Kansas dirt farmer roots on my dad's side with a little Cherokee Indian on both sides. That said, I was born in Washington state and very little was spoken of those roots. My parents worked hard to pull themselves up to middle class and they were in Washington because that's where the post-depression jobs were.

So there wasn't much pride or honor with the Kentucky and Kansas roots. My mom worked hard at losing her southern accent when she moved to Washington. My dad just never spoke of the midwest.

I do have some good memories of my grandparents and the skills they brought out to Washington. I can remember going to their house and seeing the entire livingroom covered with a quilting frame and my grandmother stitching away by hand. My grandfather was an avid hunter and brought home birds, fish and deer. A buck hanging from a tree was not an usual sight in the winter. The pair of them managed a 2 acre vegetable garden and sold to the neighbors the produce they couldn't can, eat or give away to relatives. And they did this until they were well into their 70's.

I have to say that if I have any roots, it's the West Coast. I grew up in Washington and have lived most of my adult life in California. I've also lived in Ohio (haven't we all?), Germany, Japan, Mass. and Alabama. I'll take the west coast anytime. And by the west coast, I mean everything but LA, SF, Silicon Valley and Seattle. They are too crowded for me.

My daughter has the unique honor of being a California Native and she's quite proud of it. She's also proud of her Cherokee blood that shows up in her slightly asian-looking eyes.

Of all the regional cultures in the US, I'd guess I find Texas the most interesting. Of all my business trips, Texans uniformly treated me the best and were the most friendly. They set a standard for hospitality that I always try to meet when I entertain guests.

Just to be funny Sudo- Are those southern male Dizzy Dukes?

heehaw..

I am from the midwest and have journeyed to a land far..I now live in NC. I have not yet experienced all the culture you have spoke of..yet, I have seen the essence of it in my travels. I have experience the hanging of the Rebel flag on a few homes in Va, and yet have wondered why a simple white caucasian woman gets funny looks at the grocery store..I have a Yankee accent.....and had people say where do you come from because my accent is different.My father a native Virginian and mother native to border of WVA had very strong southern upbringing..what strikes me richly is the closeness of familys....something a little foriegn to my Chicago upbringing but relative to my family roots.

I have a love for family and God, tried and tested.......and branded.

Edited by likeaneagle

I guess I'm one of those who 'just don't get it' when it comes to identifying with the southern region. Oh, I like the food, the low cost of living, and even southern rock (largely), but culturally speaking I will always identify myself as a Yankee (ie., northern states).

Now I have learned quite a bit about the South, the myths and disinformation (including those re: the War 'Twixt the States), and that from both sides of the argument. But I just can't identify myself with a) country music, b) WWF 'wrassling', c) NASCAR, or d) Waffle House. Stuff like that. :unsure:

Put me in the big city (like Atlanta, even if it _is_ in the South :wink2: ) with its *gobs* of different cultural areas, many classic rock stations, etc., ... as opposed to some small town with their _one_ country/talk radio station, and I'll be happy.

:dance:

Wow, talk about a broad brush.

I love living where gentler pursuits are appreciated and encouraged (such as literature) and where extended family life survives a bit more intact.

Where I live is the least transient of all states. I like living where family trumps career.

I'm not from here but I got here as soon as I could.

Garth and Geo,

Re:"I guess I'm one of those who 'just don't get it' when it comes to identifying with the southern region."

I can appreciate that feeling and that's one reason I started this thread. It hit me that we in the South had this peculiar attribute.. not regional pride exactly as we've seen folks post here that feel for the Northeast, Maine or wherever but.. identity. We are Southerners to the bone no matter where in the country we may be residing at the time.

Oh, that's the Ole Miss band alright David. I was a member of that band for 4 years many years ago! Thanks for the link. What they played Saturday was very similar.. here's that same link in embed format. Yes.. its very moving to my Southern ears :) .

sudo

Well, me being a Southerner, who grew up pretty close to where Sudo did, who now lives in Texas, (by choice) I feel as if I have the best of both worlds.

My Grandmother and all her family are from East Texas, so I did grow up with a love for Texas that seems to be inbred here. Every summer, her family has a reunion, it's always the 3rd Sunday in June. When I was a kid, it was a treat to be one of the grandchildren chosen to go to the reunion with my grandparents.

My Mom and all my brothers and their families live here in Texas. Once we all grew up, we all chose to live close to one another, and picked this place as our home. And none of us has any intentions on leaving.....ever.

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter got us tickets for the TX A&M/Louisiana game. I don't think I've ever experienced Tradition, Pride, and a comradeship like I have at A&M. I am proud to have an Aggie daughter, yes I admit it. Experiencing a football game at Kyle Field is too awesome for words. (and yes, I've been to tons of college footballs games, in many stadiums across the country.)

Texas is the only state that fought a War For Independence, and entered the Union as a Sovreign Nation. Hence, the rich history, and strong sense of TX Pride.

Even my Yankee husband, has converted to Texan, and will admit it (if he's had enough whiskey and a cigar or two.) Ok, ok, the Michigan Fight song does bring a tear or two to his eyes, but he loves it here as well.

God Bless TX! And I'm proud to be a Southerner.

Edited by ex10