GreaseSpot Cafe

Feed Your Head

Pirate1974

Went to one of the local malls tonight and dropped it at an art gallery there, not something I would normally ever do. However, I was intrigued by the artist who was there tonight showing some samples of her work.

At first glance, she looks a normal 67-year old woman who took up painting late in life and has made a pretty darn good career out of it. Heck, she looks she could just be somebody's grandma.

cover1-1_GraceSlickconcentr.jpg

Nothing really remarkable about her until you hear her name.

Grace Slick.

Say what? This little white-haired lady couldn't possibly have fronted Jefferson Airplane, could she? Can this be the composer of "White Rabbit?" I guess Woodstock really was a long time ago.

She's an interesting character, pretty salty as you can probably imagine. I'm sure she's shocked some of the usual art gallery patrons. I don't know beans about art, but her stuff looks pretty good to me. A lot of it is portaits of Janis Joplin, Jerry Garcia, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and illustrations from Alice in Wonderland. Some of the Alice stuff is pretty hallucinatory, like Timothy Leary as the Mad Hatter.

If her show comes into your area, check it out.

Yessiree - - -she gets my vote! She's a real woman, I mean that. Most people have a really hard time "recovering" from being in the limelight - but she just moved on and lived her life. You have to give credit where credit is due.

I've always liked her, but part of that is cause she has a really cool birthday. :wink2:

Pirate, that's awesome that she was there - live and in person!! Did she talk to y'all? Did you get to meet her? I've seen some of her work and like it too.

It's also great to see such an awesome music icon living a long, healthy and happy life.

Thanks, Pirate. That's really neat and I'm glad to hear she acts like just regular folk. :) I remember an interview with her or her daughter (?) once and the point was made that that part of her life was over and she'd already said everything there was to say about it in public and for interviews. She'd rather talk about the present and what's going on now.

I can understand that. I do hope that she enjoys reminiscing and laughing with family and friends about "the good ole days" like we do with ours, though. It'd be a pity to have all those memories and just shove them under the bed in a shoebox.

She wrote an autobiography in '97/'98 called "Somebody to love?' She talks a lot about the Airplane days. It's hilarious. She's a riot.

It's funny; Jefferson Airplane was clearly my favorite group for a few years, including high school, yet I never once fantasized about Grace. I guess I loved her for her mind.

By the way, thanks Dmiller for posting that U-tube link. Right from the same link I was able to watch other video clips including JA performing the song 'Won't you try;Saturday afternoon' at Woodstock. That track appears on the double album called Woodstock 2 but I didn't know it was on film. Just about every female performer today owes Grace a huge debt of gratitude. She was the first woman star I can think of who was both attractive AND allowed to speak her mind.

Edited by johniam

My best friend in college named her cat Grace Slick.

Thanks for that video David. It reminds me of how strong her vocals are. Her voice is amazing. I'm so in awe of people who have that kind of strength in their voice without appearing to have much effort put forth.

It's kind of disappointing that she didn't want to talk about Jefferson Airplane since she is well known for that group. I understand when people want to talk about their current ventures, but they have to understand the public (who probably has never talked to them) will want to talk to them about things they know them for.

My husband and I went ot CES a few years ago and talked to Neal Shon, guitarist for Journey, and he was the same way. He didn't want to talk about Journey. He wanted to talk about his new band (which by the way flopped big time). He is back to touring with Journey again (without Steve Perry :( ). Journey isn't Journey without Steve.

By the way, thanks Dmiller for posting that U-tube link. Right from the same link I was able to watch other video clips including JA performing the song 'Won't you try;Saturday afternoon' at Woodstock. That track appears on the double album called Woodstock 2 but I didn't know it was on film. Just about every female performer today owes Grace a huge debt of gratitude. She was the first woman star I can think of who was both attractive AND allowed to speak her min

John -- you're welcome. ;) I like to post the YouTube links,

rather than *embed them* (or whatever it is called),

because this way -- other things about the artist are shown on a menu there,

and NOT just the video in question.

Gives a person room to explore whatever they may be interested in,

and see more than just one video. :)

This is the version of that story that appeared in one of the alternative newspapers here recently:

She never named her child god. Her daughter China was forever dubbed "god" by the media circus following an offhand remark by Grace after her daughter's birth. An overly upbeat nurse had irritated Slick throughout the ordeal. Following China's arrival, the nurse came into the recovery room with the official birth certificate. She explained this certificate was given to all the new mothers in the hospital. She wanted to get the entry right: "What are you going to name the baby?"

Grace had enough of "Nurse Sunnyside." She noticed the nurse was wearing a crucifix.

"god. Her name is god, with a little 'g.' We spell it with a small 'g' to keep her humble. She didn't believe it. I told her again."

The nurse walked out to call the San Francisco Chronicle. Birth of a child. Birth of a myth.(Creative Loafing; November 14, 2006)