GreaseSpot Cafe

Good books to read

polar bear

I don't know if someone has started a thread on good books to read, but I want to start off the new year with some good reading material.

Here are some self help books that I am in the middle of reading right now. I'm trying to slow down the aging process a little. (Don't want to be an old fart, just want to be young at heart).

Body for Life-by Bill Phillips

(tells you how we need to work with weights to strengthen muscle as we get older, our bones need the help.)

Fat or Fat-by Covert Bailey

(exercise-building muscle burns the fat)

You the Owners Manual-by Michael Rozen and Mehmet Oz-

(I've not read much yet but he's been on Oprah-haaaa. This guy Dr. Oz amazes me. He's a world renowned heart surgeon. He tells you from a medical standpoint how your body functions and how you can take care of it).

Edited by polar bear

I'm reading Social Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. I think it's pretty good.

I've also gotten some of the insights from books like you named Polar Bear from a group I participate in at the local VA medical center. I've benefitted greatly thus far from those insights. Over the last two years, I've lost more than 60 pounds (and NOT with the help of programs like NutraSystems or Jenny Craig). I've gotten important insights on what works nutrition wise, and I have been doing both aerobic exercise and a regular weight lifting routine.

Edited by Rocky

A earth moving book for me has been Prayer by Philip Yancey.

Generally it takes a long time for me read a book having a form of deslexia sp.

But this one you have to digest it as you go. Best book I have read in many

years. He Yancey has some other great works like Where Is God When It Hurts

and Grace.

I read mostly money kind of books and a lot of news.

Edited by Danny

Well, two oldies that I've been flogging for a loooong time, but are still my favorites:

"The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan, a REALLY sensible, well-thought-out way of looking at the world.

"Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. A wonderful overview of human existence for the last 20,000 years or so. It's not all set in stone, and there is a lot of conjecture and theorizing, but a really stimulating read. Of course, if you believe the world is only 6,000 years old, lots of it may prove difficult for you...

Polar Bear, I liked Phillips' book Body for Life…uhmmm…I do need to get back into weight training – besides being good for muscle strengthening it's good for maintaining bone density too…Awhile back I injured my rotator cuff doing pull ups – okay - I had gotten kind of over zealous for my age. I've got You the Owners Manual – like to skim through it for what looks interesting at the time…Great idea for a thread, Polar Bear – thanks!

George, I loved Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel – did you ever catch his 3 part series on TV – very good adaptation – wished it was longer? His ideas make a lot of sense – like the expansion of civilization being faster as people migrated along their original latitude – more energy could be devoted to expansion than needing to adapt to a foreign climate, alternate resources,etc.

…I've got 4 books on my nightstand: Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly about Security in an Uncertain World by Bruce Schneier. I like his common sense approach to security issues…Molecules of Emotion by Candace Pert – I became interested after Belle and Bagpipes mentioned it. Fascinating book – our brains being more like combination of an electrical system and a pharmacy…The Cry of the Soul: How our Emotions reveal our deepest Questions about God by Dan Allender and Tremper Longman – I read enough of Bagpipes' posts about it to get interested. The book gets me thinking – quoting from page 21, "Perhaps a better explanation for why it's so difficult to feel our feelings is that all emotion, positive or negative, opens the door to the nature of reality. All of us prefer to avoid pain – but even more, we want to escape reality."…Write Tight: How to keep Your Prose Sharp, Focused and Concise by William - Brohaugh. This was a gift from my wife Tonto who is tired of reading my long posts :biglaugh: .

Edited by T-Bone

T-Bone, just change your name to Faulkner and tell her you are becoming master of 'stream of consciousness'. :biglaugh:

I got addicted to books on tape/cd when I had a job that required more than an hour commute each way and still prefer books on cd to the radio.

I like Body for Life and (don't laugh) Dr. Phil's weight loss book. Practical advice and suggestions that aren't over the top communicate to me.

I enjoyed my foray into the The Origin of Satan, The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels, Judas[/b], Mary Magdelene's book, etc.

What God Wants by Neal Donald Walsch was excellent and freeing for me.

The Power of Now by Tolle

I just finished The Celestine Prophecy and am looking forward to the books that follow it.

Of course there's also:

Harry Potter and I can't wait for the next book!

Anything by Robin Cook - Just finished Marker which was excellent.

Lillian Jackson Braun writes a series where the main character's two siamese cats help him solve crimes and I'm currently listening to The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell.

I love what I call "beach reads" - quick, light books that you can read in a week-end spent on the beach:

Janet Evanovich and Sue Grafton are my favorite authors in this category

The Sound of Paper is my 'writing' book right now, T-Bone. :biglaugh:

I tried to listen to The Five People You Meet in Heaven but couldn’t finish it. It was so depressing, bleak and slow. That’s not any heaven I care to believe in and can’t, for the life of me, figure out how or why it was a bestseller.

I was also greatly disappointed in The Purpose Driven Life and the corresponding hooplah following the popularity of it, but that’s been discussed on the boards already.

Found an author by the name of Janet Evanovich- read her whole Stepahanie Plum novels to date. Bounty woman who lives in Jersey, lots of laughs in her stories.

• 2 months later...

Why Men Hate Going to Church by David Murrow

A Heretic's Guide to Eternity by Spencer Burke, Barry Taylor, and Brian D. McLaren

The Inescapable Love of God by Thomas Talbott (The best book I have ever read on Christian Universalism)

What Does the Bible Really Say About Hell by Randy Klassen

If Grace is True - Why God Will Save Every Person by Philip Gulley and James Mulholland

If God is Love - Rediscovering Grace in an Ungracious World by Philip Gulley and James Mulholland

An Autumn of War - What America Learned from September 11 and the War on Terrorism by Victor Davis Hanson

Between War and Peace - Lessons From Afghanistan to Iraq by Victor Davis Hanson

Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell (I recommend anything by Thomas Sowell)

Edited by 1searcher

Ron G.'s (readaholic) top five most recently read or currently reading...

"Wild Foods Field Guide and Cookbook" by Billy Joe Tatum (Outdoor stuff/how to)

"How to Grow World Record Tomatoes" by Charles H. Wilbur (How to)

"The Lady or the Tiger?" by Richard Smullyan (puzzles)

"Empire of Unreason" by J. Gregory Keyes (fantasy/fiction)

"The Postman" by David Brin (science fiction)

I don't know if someone has started a thread on good books to read, but I want to start off the new year with some good reading material.

Here are some self help books that I am in the middle of reading right now. I'm trying to slow down the aging process a little. (Don't want to be an old fart, just want to be young at heart).

Body for Life-by Bill Phillips

(tells you how we need to work with weights to strengthen muscle as we get older, our bones need the help.)

Fat or Fat-by Covert Bailey

(exercise-building muscle burns the fat)

You the Owners Manual-by Michael Rozen and Mehmet Oz-

(I've not read much yet but he's been on Oprah-haaaa. This guy Dr. Oz amazes me. He's a world renowned heart surgeon. He tells you from a medical standpoint how your body functions and how you can take care of it).

If you like history, you might try this one. I have read through about 50 of the 800 pages, and it is an informative read from a center-right point of view:

"A Patriot's History of the United States: From Columbus's Great Discovery to the War on Terror " by Larry Schweikart.

One book I read that I absolutely fell in love with is "The Lakota Way" by Joseph M Marshall III -- in it Mr Marshall gives you an insight to the spirituality and wisdom of the Lakota indians - fabulous book.

Another he has written is called "Walking with Grandfather" which discusses the wisdom of the elders....

You wont be able to put them down!

Happy reading!

Christian: The Fear of the Lord (and other things, too) by John Bevere. Currently involved in "Under Cover" regarding staying under spiritual cover of the Lord.

Fiction: The Guardian, Nicholas Sparks. Currently reading "True Believer" by same.

Body care: The Great Physician's Rx, Jordan Rubin. He recovered from severe illness by applying Biblical principles of health, and these are them. It's along the line of God knew what he was doing when he said let there be light -- sunshine is good for the soul and spirit. Clean is good. Hard work (good exercise).

My Job: Currently plowing through Sawyer's Internal Auditing.