GreaseSpot Cafe

Are You Gooder at Grammar?

Belle

100 - but it is true that pronouns are the most difficult part of language development for children and many adults never quite get them. It is a referential concept, and then on top of it we have too many homonyms in english for any sane person. I always thought that it was such a waste to have so many words sound the same and be different meanings and parts of speech.

What's with the proliferation of sites with quizzes about possessive vs plural nouns/pronouns? Maybe if it catches on enough we can start Word Study Group...The Words Intentionally Chosen Especially for Subtlety - TWI/CES. Since TheEvan never announced his score that makes him an unknown - so we must immediately cast him out of TWI/CES as possessed...or was that possessive. And since in the new little Word Study Group anything less than 100% shows lack of comittment and believing Belle gets yelled at every day and put on kitchen duty.... Oh wait I am not possessed either - I got 100.

Sorry I couldn't resist another poke. My humor gets mildly twisted every now and then. It's TheEvan's fault.

Edited by RumRunner

I realize that there are folks with learning disabilities and, unless I just can't make heads or tails of what someone wrote (and I'd like to), I try to keep my mouth shut because I don't know what's from lack of education and what's because of how their brain works.

It just scares me that so many of the kids (that I know) can't communicate clearly through the written word. I just wonder what business correspondence and white papers are going to look like in the future? Are we, adults, going to have to learn to rd txt msg grmmr 4 th futr?

Belle, one of the better curriculum's I was trained in; when asking my daughter's Sped teacher if she heard of it..because said teacher absolutely sucked at getting the info into the whole classes' heads, her comment was, "I looked at that, but it's so boring." That same language system that she labeled boring had Navajo kids in Tuba City, AZ (English definitely a second language) writing correct paragraphs (8-10 lines) in FIRST GRADE.

But--that "boring" comment gave away a lot of the attitude. Some teachers want it to be fun and zippy or something....when rote boring still works even with LD kids.