GreaseSpot Cafe

Witnessed to by an Innie

waterbuffalo

There I was, sitting in my doctor's office, waiting my turn, and reading a really interesting article on nutrition in a Health Freak magazine.

Suddenly, the other woman sitting on my side of the waiting room, asked me in the friendliest possible way if my maiden name was _____________. I answered in the affirmative, still not recognizing her and puzzled until she said she was in my twig in residence and gave me her maiden name. Well, what a shocker!

Anyway, she asked me lots of questions, kind of personal, but my guard wasn't up because I assumed she went to a church or offshoot here in town. When I asked where she went to church, she said she and her husband still (didn't know they even lived here) ran a twi fellowship in their home. I said REALLY?

She went on to tell me there had been a lot of changes made "in the ministry" and things are a lot better now. I'm still pretty shocked she was still with them, but politely mumbled something like GOOD!

Then, the clincher, she asks me if I'd be interested in checking The Way out again sometime (surreal)!!!!!!

The word NOooooooooooooooooooo, long and drawn out, just immediately escaped from my lips without even thinking, along with an "I can believe you just asked me that" laugh accompanying it.

She was immediately called in to see the doctor after she asked me and left with a funny look on her face. Did she REALLY think????? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Was she just getting in her daily witnessing quota? She seemed so serious.

Let me think. She thought an ex-twi who got out 18 years ago was secretly waiting for an innie to witness to them so they could get back in and here was my big chance?????

Possible better replies:

1. "Have you totally taken leave of your senses???"

2. "Are you sure you're at the right doctor's office? Shouldn't you be in therapy?

3. "_____________________________________"

Someone, help, what would you have said? LOL!!!

(P.S. Not to derail, but I really do feel sorry for her and am praying for her. Really. For someone to live in that kind of bondage for that long is very sad.)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny WB! I think that the wrong Dr.s office was best, I couldn`t top that lol.

OMG, I think it might have been a hoot to attend a fellowship while not under the influence of their teachings.

It sounds like they aren`t terrified of outies any more if she felt that she could invite you back. There was a time that any good innie would have fled in terror once they realised ....ulp you had forsaken God and his ministry....

Maybe you could reverse witness you know? I had a dream about that once....I found myself on the wow field ...I knew that twi was wrong but couldn`t break my commitment. God came to me in the dream and said...*yes but you will be witnessing for ME now*

The whole rest of the dream I was a double agent for God witnessing to wow bros and people about how evil twi doctrine was....lol I am such a nut.

It might be be fun in real life.

Maybe you could reverse witness you know? I had a dream about that once....I found myself on the wow field ...I knew that twi was wrong but couldn`t break my commitment. God came to me in the dream and said...*yes but you will be witnessing for ME now*

The whole rest of the dream I was a double agent for God witnessing to wow bros and people about how evil twi doctrine was....lol I am such a nut.

Isn't that what you're doing here, now, dear rascal?

Edited by waterbuffalo

Someone, help, what would you have said? LOL!!!

“Sure - as soon as Green Cards fly out my butt. And if that’s why you’re here the Proctologist is two doors down the hall.”

But seriously, WaterBuffalo - I think you gave the perfect response – a simple “No” with an incredulous laugh – short and to the point! That says it all right there!

Yes....it is an awkward moment, to run into a long-standing innie who wants to "witness" you back into twi's walls of zion.

About three years ago, I had it happen to me. He gave me the rap that "things had changed" and were SO MUCH BETTER NOW. Of course, I brought up some of the doctrinal issues....like the present truth spewth, the no-debt illogic, the mark/avoid labeling to silence any grievances, etc. And, I told him why I no longer could stand with twi's evil.

Well...........about three weeks ago, I heard that he and his family no longer attend twi.

I wonder if my "unwitnessing" got his brain cells jump-started abit??

:wave:

I have only run into one innie since leaving.

He was my husbands best friend in Kansas. He and his wife were in our wedding party. We had not spoken since leaving 15 years ago and then we were in another state 1000 miles away.

My husband ran into this man, his former best friend in a huge store in a city of over 350,000 people, in a state that neither one had ever known the other to be in, nor either one resided in.

Now the rational mind would consider the fact that this was far to unlikely to be simply circumstantial.

This poor fellow after 15 years meeting an old friend in a strange city, could not make the time away from the repairs he was doing for family members for a week or two for lunch or to visit our home, meet our children, or interact with us in any way. There was no offeres of exchanging addresses or telephone numbers.

We were strictly taboo, for no other reason than the fact that we no longer were affiliated with twi.

To me, it seemed heartbreakingly sad that he wasn`t allowed to feel or act as one normally would when discovering a long thought to be forever lost friend.

I know that it couldn`t have been coincidence, I wish that I had the words when my spouse called me from the store to talk with the man, that I had some sort of brilliant words to offer.

I can only hope that what was discussed made an impression.

I might be tempted to ask that innie what was wrong with her believing that she would need to be in a (gasp) third aid place? What's worse is a third aid place run by an "empty?" (empty shell, or some such thing...)

I might then make some comment about it being nice that she had adequate cash to pay for a doctor's appointment.

(If she made a comment about insurance...the appropriate comeback would be along the lines of: "Insurance...I thought that you folks weren't supposed to go in for that because it demonstrated lack of believing"

If she made a comment about medicaid, medicare, or whatever...the appropriate comeback would be: "uneequally yoked with unbelievers? Something else new for the Way?")

Of course then, I'm not a very nice person :evildenk: :evildenk:

Don't you ever sit around and think after it's all over, "Man, I wish I'd thought of this to say?"

Yup – I think that a lot – seems to happen more regularly the older I get – my dang processor is slowing down!...I do admire your nerve! Besides having a slow processor I don't like to be confrontational. I don't know if I could have even mustered up enough gumption to respond like you did. I'd probably pretend I didn't hear the question and say something like "Isn't it nice weather we're having?"

Edited by T-Bone

That came so out of the blue, that if I were you I probably would have responded as you did.

Now that I've had the benefit of this thread, I'll put T-bone's "when green cards fly outta my butt" reply in a prominent position in my brain. I love that response! But then, I loved Wayne and Garth, too!

I can't imagine that happening to me, especially now that I'm so well-prepared, but I'll let you know if it ever does!

If I might add WB..............(I would of laughed too.... :biglaugh: )

They don't know any better, so when things got ''better'' in wayville, that is what they say!

(no more confrontations, LOVE teachings....not much debt talk....)

See, everything is QUIET in wayville right now..............quiet = ''better''.

They think that those are THE REASONS most of us don't go back!

"Things are so much better now, come back, we are sweet and tender..........again....!"

They see no other REASONS why we would not go back if the LOVE is back.

A good response might be to have premade cards with

www.greaspotcafe.com

written on them.

Tell, them that is where you go to church now. :wink2:

and it aint just for the LOVE.

ooops forgot the ''e'' in grease.................sorry :confused:

What a coincidence! I had a lovely woman who used to live in our area call me last week. She and her husband and kids had just reloacated to S. California. Her husband is involved with the NFL - and recently got a position in San Diego. I was happy to hear from her - she was always a kind and generous soul and never had a bad word to say about anyone - almost naive, actually.

Anyway - I was surprised to hear that they were still in TWI. She gave me the whole "it's so much better than it used to be" and "changed for the better" stuff. She wasn't trying to pull the wool over my eyes - she honestly feels that way. BUT -- she added that they basically go to fellowship and go home and aren't really involved in any other TWI functions (although she said she'd been to the Advanced Class last year).

We talked for a while and I told her some TWI war stories about the BC here and the way we were treated after we got the boot. I also told her how nasty he was when my daughter and I ran into him a couple of years ago. She wasn't surprised! She said she NEVER treated anyone like that and thought it was wrong. She also believed that buying a house was a good thing, that there was no way someone could get a house for cash, and mortgages were necessary. We talked about a bunch of things she disagreed with.

It really makes me wonder why people who disagree with TWI's current policies continue to stay involved. She loves God very much, that's obvious to me. When I hung up, I was really sad. I know these folks are probably being taken advantage of because of her husband's career - so TWI doesn't pick on them too much.

I almost wanted to un-witness to her - but I know it wasn't the right time. If they've stayed in this long - it's going to be hard to convince them to leave.

Gosh I didn`t think about that WB, I think that is probably the nicest thing that anyone has ever said about me.

Good for you sky rider, you may very well have planted the seeds that later germinated. That is SO cool.

Awwwww. Thanks and what I said is true. I believe God does talk to us about ourselves in our dreams. He has to me many times! You are sounding the alarm for the Lord.

Agreed, Skyrider. You very well could have started those freedom thoughts:

FREEDOM THOUGHTS NOW FORMING

(Maybe my laughing "noway" noooooo that I spoke to the woman who witnessed to me planted freedom seeds in her head, too. You never know.)

Someone said he thought we spoke for God when we don't even know it sometimes. I concur.

Edited by waterbuffalo

It really makes me wonder why people who disagree with TWI's current policies continue to stay involved. She loves God very much, that's obvious to me. When I hung up, I was really sad. I know these folks are probably being taken advantage of because of her husband's career - so TWI doesn't pick on them too much.

I almost wanted to un-witness to her - but I know it wasn't the right time. If they've stayed in this long - it's going to be hard to convince them to leave.

Just the fact that she looks up to you enough to call you and converse says something. And, that you're no longer involved with or supporting twi speaks loudly in itself without your having to say anything about why, imho. Maybe those FREEDOM THOUGHTS are NOW FORMING in her head right now, too.

Yeppers, Hope. I had the same conversation recently with a woman here. Why she stays involved when she can clearly see all the injustice (and has been subjected to it personally), I'll never know. :asdf:

WB, you definitely had the proper reaction. I would have been laughing too hard to even get out the "NOooooooo....." I'm sure. :biglaugh:

But, for chits & giggles I would like to think I would have said:

- Better? Really? They've gotten rid of that rug munching, lying under oath wanna be wog rosie and her b*tch donna?

- They've quit meddling in the finances of their people and you can actually plan for your future and buy a home now?

- They've corrected all the doctrinal errors they've been teaching since day 1? You DO know about all the doctrinal errors, don't you? :wink2:

If I might add WB..............(I would of laughed too.... :biglaugh: )

A good response might be to have premade cards with

www.greaspotcafe.com

written on them.

Tell, them that is where you go to church now. :wink2:

and it aint just for the LOVE.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

And, THANKS, COOL AND BOWTWI :-)

LOL, Belle. I could never think that fast. I feel sorry for one of 'em if they ever witness to you.

Edited by waterbuffalo

It really makes me wonder why people who disagree with TWI's current policies continue to stay involved. She loves God very much, that's obvious to me.
Perhaps for the same reason people hang around in churches even though they are not trinitarians. They get some of their needs met, prayers answered, are in a nice group, and don't know what else is out there (for TWIers, daren't look). Edited by Twinky

I've been witnessed to a few times by TWI folk.

I actually considered driving up to HQ & takin' in a Sunday service.

Can't bring myself to do it though.

They always say the SAME "things are better now" thing to anyone X they witness to.

THAT, to me is a problem on a number of levels.

Actually, things are NOT better there. No matter what they think they think.

I recently drove down Wierwille road. To my absolute SHOCK, there was grass in the ROA campground area thay was horribly overgrown for ANYONE's standards.

THAT to me, was a VERY telling thing.

What? They don't have money to fix the grasshoppers they use to cut the grass?

Or they don't have the personell?

Or have they simply forgotten the scripture....

He who is faithful in that which is least is also faithful in that which is much.

HOW can a CHURCH whose business is saving SOULS and winning people to "God's Ministry" not keep their grass cut????

HOW???

Problem is, they don't seem to see how bad it is for all of their efforts to convince THEMSELVES...

Thing asre better now.

Part of me likes to think that I'd get a real kick out of going to a TWI fellowship if nobody there knew me.

Another part of me thinks that if I did my head would explode. I'm thinking I might grab somebody by their collar and start trying to slap them back to sanity. Every time I see one of them in their world so many things rush to my brain to say to them ... then I just - - don't - - say - - much.

I think what gets me about the whole thing is how freakin serious they are. They really think that the world they live in today constitutes a change for the better!

Maybe it is better than getting yelled at over a nice lunch.

--------------------------

I just cant help it....Yes I know I am evil. In the 20 years I've been out I've never been witnessed to by an innie - and hope it never happens BUT

Don't you think it would be funny to have a GSC red card (opposite of green). Instead of all that name address stuff on one side we just have the URL to GSC and blocks to fill in your requested screen name. On the back we can have ONE benefit - You'll be out of TWI!!! Wouldnt that be fun to hand to an innie who witnessed to you? Or...if you wanted to be "detail minded" you could add more than one benefit - lets see - I cant remember for than two of them...Financial Freedom - You'll be able to buy a house....Harmony in the home - You wont beat your kids with a wooden spoon any more"

Belle will take this one step farther I am sure - retemory packs - but posts from GSC classics. We can even organize them by topic. Get the best of Groucho, Bowtwi, Ron_G, Bell, T-bone and some others.... and turn them into little cards - no verse references though just POST references...like Bowtwi 10 Jan 2007, post 12:56 PM.....Word Wolf gets his own retemory pack and it only has 1 card in it but it unfolds into a table cloth sized litany.

Sorry (well no I'm not really - but for form's sake) just had to...

Maybe they have changed,

Maybe we should check them out,

Maybe Rosalie is the best thing to ever happen to the world,

Maybe they don't really want to control my life,

Maybe they want me to get another mortgage on my home,

Maybe craigs class on way of power and abundance is todays answer to world crisis,

Maybe that was a pig that just flew out of my a$$

HCW,

Next time you're staring at overgrown grass in a ROA field, snap a picture and post it here. We'd all love to see it.