GreaseSpot Cafe

Pet Food Terrorist attacks

RottieGrrrl

Last Friday a lady stopped in to pay her rent (I work for a managment company for a couple of commercial buildings) and as she was saying hello to Nico, (I bring my dog to work with me) she said she thinks the pet food poisenings are part of a terrorist attack against Americans and their dogs.

It's really not as far fetched as it sounds once you think of it. Certain other countries don't really like dogs like our great country does, and the way to get to people would be through their dogs and cats. I'm a little concerned, and although Nico's brand of food she has been eating has not been on the list, I'm thinking of almost getting her on a home cooked diet till this is researched and dealt with.

But that would be a pain in the butt. What do you other pet owners think? Worried? Or not?

Worried yes, because my dog ate one of the brands contiminated, just that what we bought was not the specific flavor contaminated.

I find it strange all the outbreaks of poisoning from our spinach to our lettuce. It could be that it has always happened and people got sick and died and it was never reported or never given news space? If that is not true, then there is certainly a high incidence of poisoning against humans and animals in our country.

Rottie

We have been talking about just that all week. Like this is a test run.

Thing is many fast food companies do not buy American beef, inspected stuff -- to my understanding.

And look at the spinach problem!

Food for thought!

Sorry, I read Rottie's and did not see FC wrote of the spinach.

Do you recall that group of people who put bacteria in a buffet resturant to try to get the townies sick on voting day so the "cult" could win the election? Forget what show it was on

Edited by Dot Matrix

Do you recall that group of people who put bacteria in a buffet resturant to try to get the townies sick on voting day so the "cult" could win the election? Forget what show it was on

YES! I've seen it a couple of times. That was freaking unbelievable. I believe it was Forensic Files on Court TV. I kind of remember that one woman fled the country? I 'd have to google it to find out, but the restaurants in that town never recovered from that incident and eventually closed. People were afraid to eat there, even though they knew what had happened.

These damn terrorists are out to destroy our economy, our way of life, as well as our lives. Hmm, kill steal and destroy. That sounds like a mission from hell.

RottieGrrrl,

I'm pretty radical so some will just :rolleyes: and consider the source of who is speaking here but actually that is a means that evil could seek to take us down. And if they could begin with our beloved pets and get us to buy that it was other than them they would have gotten a foot into the door of our thinking.

It quite likely had nothing to do with terrorists but this is a way they will get in and I would much rather hear "the sky is falling" than a non-offensive voice saying "oh they wouldn't really do that". After all you know those whackjobs have a right to be insane just like the next guy.

Kathy

Well...my dogs and cats haven`t been eating this food...however, don`t forget that hundreds died eating the diamond brand dog food a year and a half ago. Mine DID eat that exclusively. It seems to me it was the same deal...a fungus in the wheat.

I don`t know if more pets are dying, or we are just now becoming more aware because of internet access and communication with in the veterenary community.

I don`t know why the wheat fungus affects the dog food and not people food.

I cannot fathom terrorists focusing on pets. I do not think that they understand what they mean to us.

Edited by rascal

Oh CRAP...I didn`t know that....woah

Sorry, I guess I haven`t folloed this close enough. So did the senders know what the destination of the wheat was going to be? Did they know that it was bound for pet food production? Maybe it WAS intended for humans.

Granted the terroists are out to get us

But suspectiong terroists behind each and every act of life that is bad is extremist.

Fact E-coli can get in a water suppy and thus infect spinach

Fact third world countries have less stringent standards than we do

fact rats like wheat

it seem logical to me that a wheat processing plant in China would have rats and thus rat poison. maybe somone inadvertantly bumped a shelf and a box of rat poison fell ito a bin and no one noticed

tragic -but hardly terroristic.

If we start seeing terroists behind evey accident and tragedy we will have done part of the the terroists job for them making ourselves into a fear ridden and thus hesitate people to act.

TempleLady - HI!

I think yours is a thoughtful and logical post. As I recall, a very few years back there was an E. coli outbreak in organically grown lettuce. It turned out the big sinks used to wash the lettuce when it was brought it from the fields was next to a cow barn, and cow poop had somehow accidentally gotten into the water in the sinks, and there ya go.

I do wonder if our suspicions are so quickly aroused secondary to the poisoned Tylenol incident. A few bottles of Tylenol were sold in Chicago and people who took the pills started dying of poison, strychinine I think it was, not sure. Apparently, the bottles had been tampered with. The end result was tamper-proof bottles, blister packs, and all the other protective packaging we curse every day. The perpetrator was never caught to the best of my knowledge.

One heck of a mystery. This all happened in 1960 or so, as I recall (we retired folk sometimes have memory problems).

WG

Actually the poison is perfectly legal in China. They may be ahead in manufacturing, but the Chinese are way behind in general safety.

I don't think it was a terrorist act.

I do think it was a case of a company not being aware of what came before its part in the entire process of manufacturing. Just like the cocoa pikd by children in Africa and the oriental rugs made by child slaves in Persian countries. Many of the leathers imported from poorer countries are softened with toxic chemicals.

When you think about it, we only figured out DDT was bad in the early 70's.

No disrespect intended, but terrorists should not replace debbil spurts in your mind. There are no terrorists out there evaluating each and every facet of our lives to try to harm us in some small way. That is paranoia, and Waybrain. The terrorists that are out there have never done anything small to us, and realistically, it would not be worth their time and effort. Seriously, after an attack like 9/11, what is the point in making our dogs sick? It's just bizarre.

On the other hand, our food supply is mostly unregulated, and it is worse for our pets and livestock. Books have been written about how bad the U.S. food supply is. The fact is, unless you are buying your food from local farmers and ranchers, you're not getting real food, and even then it's questionable. Our food contains rocket fuel, extra hormones, feces, poisons, carcinogens, and all sorts of other nasty things. For an example, do you remember the mad cow disease? That came about because "farmers" were feeding the remains of cows that had died of disease and old age to healthy cows (remember, cows are not naturally carnivores) in an attempt to up their protein and give them more meat. Don't even get me started on those weird beakless fat mutant things that some people call chickens in agro-business.

I don't know how many people read that book "The Jungle" as required reading in school. I did, and from all indications, our food supply is in worse shape now than it was back then. I also suggest reading the book "Fast Food Nation" if you'd like to see some modern information about how unsafe and unclean our food supply is.

Basically, the terrorists don't need to interfere with our food supply, we've already made a mess out of it.

In a related story...

According to News of the weird, a retired German scientist successfully bred huge rabbits (20-25 lbs). So the scientist sent 12 such rabbits to authorities in North Korea, each of which he projects will produce 60 offspring per year, each of which will provide a filling meal for 8 people. The Koreans believe this may be a viable solution to their hunger crisis. Can anyone say Night of the Lepus??? or Soylent Green?

Edited by johniam

In a related story...

According to News of the weird, a retired German scientist successfully bred huge rabbits (20-25 lbs). So the scientist sent 12 such rabbits to authorities in North Korea, each of which he projects will produce 60 offspring per year, each of which will provide a filling meal for 8 people. The Koreans believe this may be a viable solution to their hunger crisis. Can anyone say Night of the Lepus??? or Soylent Green?

Mutant bunnies...like this?

evil_bunny.jpgevil_easter_bunny.jpg

Edited by Mister P-Mosh

RottieGrrrl,

I'm pretty radical so some will just :rolleyes: and consider the source of who is speaking here but actually that is a means that evil could seek to take us down. And if they could begin with our beloved pets and get us to buy that it was other than them they would have gotten a foot into the door of our thinking.

It quite likely had nothing to do with terrorists but this is a way they will get in and I would much rather hear "the sky is falling" than a non-offensive voice saying "oh they wouldn't really do that". After all you know those whackjobs have a right to be insane just like the next guy.

Kathy

I wanted to repeat this unless someone missed that I also do not think think this is terrorist activity but I DO think they would try a means that we would not consider as a threat to use against us. They've already proven they will.

And even though I said I would rather hear "the sky is falling" over "oh they wouldn't really do that" I still have some sense about myself and am not suggesting we have every glass of water tested for poison before we drink it.

Hi Mr. P,

Long time no see but I must admit the parents of those youngin's should be horsewhipped.

Good, and I guess I could have guessed that. :rolleyes:

Also I left off this. :wave:

I'm around for a little bit. I had some work that needed to be done by the end of April, and I'm probably going to be done by lunch tomorrow. That means plenty of time to surf the internet instead of working.

Anyway, I don't want to get too far :offtopic: so I'll go back to the topic.

I think your view of being somewhat vigilant in your life, but not paranoid is good. I think most people in this country tend to be paranoid, partially because of how sensationalist our media is. The fear of terrorists is way too extensive. I remember in the movie Fahrenheit 911 (I know, I know) there was a scene with a little old lady who was scared that terrorists might attack the Walmart in her town or something because they were near some "big" city like Sioux Falls or something else barely on the map.

Americans give the terrorists too much power over their lives by having terror in their minds so often. We have much worse things to fear if we want to worry about our safety. Statistics show that there are more than 103,680 car accidents a day, for example, with fatal accidents occurring about once every 13 minutes. Yet most people do not fear driving. We need to get to a point where terrorists are unable to instill fear in us, even while we take actions to prevent them from harming us.