GreaseSpot Cafe

We want to move -- where? Got any ideas

Dot Matrix

Here's a picture I took when I was in Portland, Oregon, for my last vacation. It was a week before Christmas. This picture was taken at the Pittock Mansion. Not all the houses in Oregon look like that. ;) Can you believe how green the grass is in the freakin' winter???? I'm telling you there is NO place like the Pacific Northwest.

I guess my picture is too big?? I will try to scale it down so I can post it again.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you, the air, there's something about the air here that will just blow you away.

...it's called RAIN isn't it? :biglaugh:

I loved Oregon when I lived there (in Aloha) but there was only about three weeks of sunny days for the entire year I was there... I need more than that...

OK. Here's the pictures of Portland. Click on the link. The ivy grows on everything. The desiduous trees has it on them, so when they lose their leaves, it doesn't look like dead dry sticks. There are so many everygreens and green stuff all year around. I REALLY like that.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wayferlookin...m/ph//my_photos

ohhhhhh i hardly smile when there's no sunshine

About half a Prozac and some good coffee will make you smile....;) J/K

Edited by Nottawayfer

Well Dot,

I don't know what you hope to find that fits all your rather narrowing list of criteria. You stated that:

The county I live in is the number one spot for the illegals to move right now.

I don't know what that means really, whether it is by numbers or by percentage of existing population or whatever, but it is not obvious to me that this is a true statement supportable by statistics. It appears that your "MY county" state location is in the middle of the pack. I found this site http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_per_o...an-english-home which might help you locate state data on various issues you mention. (language, foreign birth, languages spoken, crime, etc.) It seems to me however that you already live in a state that is in the middleranking of most those issues. Perhaps your dream hometown does not exist other than in a dream.

Since cold seems an issue, I notice that Mississippi, Alabama and West Virginia are at the bottom of the rankings (or "top" by your standards) in percentage where a language other than English is spoken at home. MI and AL are closer to water I guess.

I must make clear, if I were contemplating a move, yours are NOT the criteria I would choose. I would lean more to diversity, average education level of the population, a younger population (you said few teens??????- bo-o-o-oring to me!). Hmm, where I live is all of those., I am staying in CO, TYVM!

You want a cheap place to buy, yet want to make more money in the same place. Are you aware that wages pretty much mirror cost of living? I dunno, good luck in your search, It all seems pretty much a "grass is greener" issue to me.

~HAP

(edited to correct spelling and to disguise a location)

Edited by HAPe4me

Dot, I only WISH my summer home was there. That house has wonderful views. The old man who built the house in the early 1900s had a view of Mount Hood from his toilet. You can see Mt. St Helens. As you can see, the grounds are BEAUTIFUL!!! But the house is wayyyyyyyy too big for me. I need to have something a little more maintainable. :)

We are looking at Vancouver Washington just across the Columbia River. The average home price is $250,000 there.

One of my cousins moved from the New Jersey area to New Hampshire.

She has never regretted it, raising her family in peace and quiet.

Although I have NO idea about living costs/ job opportunities there,

it sounds (overall) idyllic and peaceful. *Old school* values -- if you will.

And a word about cold weather -----

It's not that bad. Really. Minney-soda cold can be brutal,

but even we get it for only about 3 months out of the year.

And due to (cough!!) global warming -- hardly even that anymore!

Cold weather can be enjoyed, rather than dreaded.

I would rather have some cold, clear crisp days

versus rain and drizzle and lack of sun.

But that's just me. :)

Click the Seal for info on New Hampshire -----

100px-New_Hampshire_state_seal.png

Belle

Did your link

I got Astoria Oregon -- didn't someone say that? Along with others

but 7.2% of the households there speak spanish at home, slightly more than where you are now! It'll never work. Mississippi looks better and better.....maybe.

Really? The survey thing did not say that.

And where I work that town is now about 60% speaking spanish to 40% English.

I cannot even read the signs in the area.

Each day, I get about half the calls and clients do not speak English. 7% sounds better.

Waysider - sorry I mean Hap

In our newspaper they stated that our county was now the number one county for the illegals. I assume it is now the numebr one place they are moving OR the highest number per the actual citizens. I do not recall at the moment. It was also disscussing the Atlanta illegal problem in the paper in TNN -- about 9 months ago maybe when they disscussed the illegals living under their bridges because ATL was trying to push them out.

I had the article and will look for it.

Also, your stats link is from 2004

And it is referring to the state I am referring to the county.

Edited by Dot Matrix

Really? The survey thing did not say that.

And where I work that town is now about 60% speaking spanish to 40% English.

I cannot even read the signs in the area.

Each day, I get about half the calls and clients do not speak English. 7% sounds better.

Waysider In our newspaper they stated that our county was now the number one county for the illegals. I assume it is now the numebr one place they are moving OR the highest number per the actual citizens. I do not recall at the moment. It was also disscussing the Atlanta illegal problem in the paper in TNN -- about 9 months ago maybe when they disscussed the illegals living under their bridges because ATL was trying to push them out.

I had the article and will look for it.

Here is the data for "spanish-at-home" (by state) http://www.statemaster.com/graph/peo_per_o...ak-spanish-home

perhaps whoever suggested a 20 mile move was right, for your purposes. I suggest that the article you are thinking of had an ummmmm bias, even though we all know no media has a bias, or is it all media has a bias?, I get so confused.

~HAP

Hap

It is obvious that you and I do not desire the same things. That is okay. Live where you want.

I will continue to look for what I want. That makes the world go'round.

No, I do not want to be near teens. I am thinking even about a retirement area.

I want a quiet, Christian, perhaps older community....etc

Thanks to every one for the helpful responses. There have been some very thoughtful answers.

I appreciate all posts

Again, that link has 2004 stats and it is the STATE I am talking about my county. Thanks anyway!

Edited by Dot Matrix

Hap

hmm on my screen it says you wrote this to "Waysider", but when I click reply it shows you wrote Hap. Have we a translation problem? this is too funny. what does it show on everyone else's screen?

~HAP (not Waysider)

ahhh, dot, you were editing now I understand

well, the percentages would not be much different from 2004 to now, you are correct about themn being state data, hence my comment about a 20 mile move.

Oh, most all our christians (except for my wife and I) live in colospgs here, (I think Kit mentioned it) we have a wall around the place down there, to keep them from infiltrating the rest of our economy teehee. OK, I am done now.

Ya know Dot, there is another nice place I can think of, and that is Bellingham, Washington. It is about 2 hours north of Seattle proper, and is also on the waters of the Northwest Coast. It is more urban than say, Hamilton, MT, but you can live "out" some and get a hold of some nice rural property. Alaska's ferries put into Bellingham Bay, and provide for a nice maritime view at times. I worked on those ferries for years, and it's really quite inexpensive to hop aboard for a brief foray up into The Great Land (Alaska's name given it by the indians) if you wanted to. I believe that housing is moderately priced there, and you would love the seaside and maritime aspects of Bellingham. The summers are pleasant, it rains less than Seattle, and there are lots of college kids there who brighten up the place with their youth and vitality. Lots of Alaska kids go to college down there. And the seafood! Yum! You'd be right by the sea, and there is good employment opportunity there as well. I think there is a good sized hospital there too. Yup, I have always thought of Bellingham as a toned down version of Alaska. I don't think the crime rate there is high, and I have spent many a "night life night" there with fellow shipmates and I never ran into any problems. Good music in town also. Well, just a thought. I know that you'll pick a nice place. I for one would shun the heat of the Southwest. Plus, there is a big illegal alien problem there, and it seems that you are tired of all of that for awhile. English is still the main language in Bellingham fore shore.

Now, if you really want an adventure, the Last Frontier still beckons to those who really want an adventurous change. One thing that really gives me comfort up here is that if ever the whole dang country went into another era like The Great Depression, I know full well that I will be in a very lightly populated area, and I could easily live offa the fatta the land/sea. And for me, I like the fact that I live in one of the last "wild places". But anyway Dot, I have read with interest the things you've mentioned about the gangs in your area, and I am truly happy that you are getting out, even though some may call it "white flight". And not to say that anyone on this particular thread has intimated that at all. There is another some one who did at another time though. Anyway, I truly wish you and yours the very best on your move!

http://whatcom.kulshan.com/virtual/picture...=1&Index=17

The Pacific NW is green and cool and beautiful!

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Well...I thought about whether to post this or not and decided to go ahead with it...

After thinking awhile about your original post, I'd like to make a few comments...Some of my best friends and some of the finest folks I've ever known are ex-hippies, bikers, poor folks and people of other races (who don't speak English very well)...and their homes and neighborhoods would not make it into any "designer magazines"...

It seems that your criteria for the ideal place to live is a place that's full of "white folks" who are financially secure and the neighborhoods are all prim and proper...and to me, that sounds very superficial and somewhat racist.

You may discover that the "English speaking" folks you desire to surround yourself with can be very ungodly people at times and that money and "nice neighborhoods" are not always the recipe for quality life.

If I've misunderstood you, please set me straight...

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

I think you guys are missing the point here. Dot's neighborhood has been infested by people who are not good citizens. What race those people are doesn't matter. They are poisoning an area. She doesn't want that kind of environment around her home. She chooses to live in an area which will have less chance of that happening. And she chooses to live somewhere where there is less chance of being bothered by kids. That doesn't mean she doesn't like kids. Why give her $ h i t about it????

I think you guys are missing the point here. Dot's neighborhood has been infested by people who are not good citizens. What race those people are doesn't matter. They are poisoning an area. She doesn't want that kind of environment around her home. She chooses to live in an area which will have less chance of that happening. And she chooses to live somewhere where there is less chance of being bothered by kids. That doesn't mean she doesn't like kids. Why give her $ h i t about it????

Retired could mean a bunch of people living on social security. I don't see how that means a higher class of people.

Edited by Nottawayfer

Dot

I'm sorry if my Yellow Brick Road post seemed insensitive.

I know what you are going through can be frustrating and I was just trying to add a little humour.

Guess I better keep my day job and forget about the stand-up circuit.

Dot said:

I want a quiet, Christian, perhaps older community....etc

Quiet...check

Christian...check

older (both the community and the majority of the people)...check

New Knoxville, Ohio, it is!

Okay, okay, just joshing, although I liked living there a lot and probably wouldn't have moved had I not quit my job at HQ.

There are lots of places in the USA I'd like to live, but it's true, wages are tied to the cost of living. You're not likely to find a cheap house in a town where you'll get high wages for doing work similar to what you're doing now. If you have other marketable skills that would allow you to telecommute, then that's a hurdle you might be able to get over.

I took the quiz. High on my list was Salem, Oregon, the place where I was born. I went back to Oregon for a visit after I left HQ, and it was still gorgeous. The Portland area has gotten way too crowded for my taste, though. Washington's nice, too. I'd live in either state in a heartbeat if I didn't have family ties here!