Snooty Pans

Sushi

Snooty pans  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU have snooty pans?

• No, I have the stuff left by the previous residents
    • No, but I do buy my cookware at the Dollar Store
    • Yes, but I'm embarrassed
    • Yes, and you'll only get them if you pry them out of my cold, dead, fingers

Over last weekend, I received for my birthday, what I would call, a crappy frying pan. It would seem it was a gag gift. Of course, I thanked the person with genuine gratitude (Shellon) (this is what I get for trying to be NICE) then promptly threw it out the window of the van on the ride home.

I have found, the better the cookware, knives, etc., the easier my job in the kitchen is. However, there are SOME here who think I'm 'snooty' about my kitchen stuff (SHELL, ABI). :biglaugh:

This is directed at the rank amateur cooks, but the pros are also welcome to chime in.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sushi doesn't mention is the amazing home made raspberry pie or the little birthday party we had where we even sang to him. I wonder what kind of kitchen tools that sweet lady used to make that pie.

Dang, I'm glad I didn't get the complete set of crappy pots and pans, he might have taken out one of our beautiful wildlife as they flew out the window.

My Gosh the Raspberry pie sounds so delicious! Raspberries are my favorite and I need a great pie crust recipe too.

Whomever made the pie, are you willing to share the recipe; crust and all?

Sushi, I would not have thrown away the gift hurting Shellon's feelings, and if you were as upfront as to tell her then why not just

give it to her to exchange for something else! I realize your point I love the best cookware and kitchenware myself; it does

make a huge difference in the results and ease of cooking. Great cooking is a precise art!

Nah, my feelings are not hurt, really.

sushi and I have goofed off about his pots and pans for, I dunno, a couple of years now.

The pan was a gag gift because I accuse him of being snooty about his cooking pans.

The first time he made his amazing gravy in my kitchen, he used my cheapo stuff, so this time he brought his own and he was more comfortable using his own.

My feelings are not hurt at all, it'd take ALOT more than that for Sushi to offend me.

And the pie, it was from a local restaurant. Suda and I wanted something raspberry for Sushi's birthday cake and we stopped in for lunch and they had the pie on the menu, so Suda asked if we could buy a whole pie. The owner made one for us the next day.

So, back to top of the line cookware...........

:)

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

He didn't REALLY through it out the window - he said that for Shellon's benefit. It was actually pretty amusing from my perspective because I KNEW the pan was a gag gift and Sushi didn't realize it at first. So there he was, trying to be very polite and thankful while I am standing there knowing he will NEVER cook food in that pan because it isn't snooty enough for him :biglaugh:

He is very particular about his cookware. Me, I always bought the cheapy stuff, used it til I ruined it or no longer liked it and then bought more cheapy stuff. When Sushi and I moved in together, one of the first things he did was throw away all my post and pans and replace them with his snooty pans. Then there were the new kitchen knives. The silverware that reminded him of the silverware he had growing up. And oh yes, no more grape vine dishes, only rainbow colors are good enough for my Sushi ;) :)

I still want the Raspberry Pie recipe! Hey and Abi I can certainly understand the rainbow colors! I bet you are a great chef Sushi; which make Abi a very lucky lady..you, snooty pans and all! I wish You both much Love always!

For cookware I have Cusinart cookware (non-stick, dishwasher safe) and Henkele twin 4 star knives. I have been called a "cookware snob" by a few friends.

As a public service notice:

Do not put non-stick cookware in the dishwasher unless it specifically states it is dishwasher safe in the instructions. (dishwasher safe non-stick is more expensive. Most "big box" retailers do not carry this product.)

Here is one on the web sites I go to to purchase cooking "stuff": http://www.chefscatalog.com

What did you do with the sponge, I wonder

Hmm. Do you really want to ask that question?

:biglaugh:

I can see part of Mr. Snooty Pans point though..

if you are cooking, especially on an electric burner, the 1/16" stuff doesn't have enough thermal mass to even out the extremely hot and cold spots. Your pancakes will have a dark spot that tends to resemble the shape of the burner.

By the time you've bought and worn out a dozen or so sets of the cheap stuff, you have spent enough to get something that will last practically forever..

Well, I am a snooty pans person too, Sushi!

My first set was Revere Ware with copper bottoms. Then I graduated to the original Calphalon.

No non-stick for me! A well seasoned pan will never stick! ;)

I also will only have a gas stove. I always burn things I cook on an electric range.

Of course my favorite pan is a cast iron frying pan....fried chicken...yum!!!!!!!!!!

We don't have any "snooty" cookware.

I do have, however, a "chicken fryer" that belonged to my Grandmother.

I'm sure it must be over 100 years old.

It's a cast iron skillet with high sides and a lid.

We don't use it much because you can't really put it in the dishwasher and you have to keep it "cured".

But, boy oh boy, you can sure make some killer hunter style cacciatore in it!

I like the way cast iron cooks but it is too high maintenance for every day meals.

i won't go so far as saying that good cook ware is the secret to good cooking BUT it is very important.

Good knives? an absolute must!

for all you young ones here a word of advise from a retired chef

but it good

and you will only have to buy it once

You know, when he dropped trou, I thought that sponge must have been in his Sponge Bob Square Pants! LOL. So glad he got snooty pants to go along with his snooty pans!

One of the "exciting" things about kids moving off to school and needing a "starter" set of kitchen stuff is that you can generously donate the kitchen stuff you'd rather not have, and replace it with good "snooty" kitchen ware. I've been collecting it over the years, and making "starter kits" for my kids. Still love my copper bottom Revere Ware, nothing can replace my cast iron skillets, and have great set of German made kitchen knives. I agree with Cool Chef, if your starting up housekeeping, a good set of knives is a must!

RainbowGirl, wish we had the raspberry pie receipe to share with you. It was yummy! Here's a good pie crust recipe for a two 9 inch pans, or a single crust pie with a generous lattice.

Sift together: 2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

Measure and combine: 2/3 cup of chilled Smart Balance (not lard or shortening, clogs the arteries!)

2 Tbsp. chilled unsalted butter

Cut 1/2 of the Smart Balance/butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until it has the grain of cornmeal. Cut the remaining half coarsely into the dough until it is pea size. Then, sprinkle the dough with:

4 Tbsp. water

Blend water lightly into the dough with fingertips. If needed to hold the ingredients together, add:

1 tsp to 1 Tbsp of water

When you can gather the dough up inot a tidy ball, stop handling it. Roll out on floured pastry cloth, using a heavy rolling pin covered with a pastry sock.

And Sushi, thanks for bringing your snooty pans and sponges so we could all be treated to your delicious sausage gravy and biscuits. What a treat!