GreaseSpot Cafe

A Few Big Things I Learned Taking PFAL

Doreen

Never let it be said on GSC that the deacons don't deac and the elders don't eld. So how's the view from the cheap seats guys? At least I was THERE. Your comments aren't worth responding to.

I'm sorry you feel that way John (but I understand). I had hoped that my post on page 65 (#1297) wouldn't be buried in an avalanche of posts and subsequently getting lost. But that's the way these things often go. If you get a chance to look at it and feel like responded to it that would be nice but, if not then so be it.

Larry dons his shark teeth (the ones Eyes lost the last time she took a bite outta me) and prowls the waters looking for that post of Abi's that I so wanted to respond to earlier. ;)

Larry dons his shark teeth (the ones Eyes lost the last time she took a bite outta me) and prowls the waters looking for that post of Abi's that I so wanted to respond to earlier. ;)

Ah yes my pearly whites do tend to leave a red streak.

Oh Larry it's only August....Halloween is a couple of months away. Put those dentures back into the glass.

Really, Larry, I have to go with Raf on this one.

I didn't think Raf and I were really on opposite sides of the issue. That being -- Was the 70 yr old man's behavior appropriate or not? I thought I made it clear that I considered it inappropriate.

I cannot think of one excuse, short of dementia, that would explain how this could possibly simply be innocent and thoughtless. It shouldn't require thought at 70 years old, it should just be ingrained by then that such behavior is not appropriate.
I can. However, it's not the behavior I would be excusing. We've already agreed that it was inappropriate. People do the darnest things. Let me give you an example: I was speaking to a friend where I work about something he did for me at home. He asks me how much he charged me. I jokingly said -- An arm and a leg. There happened to be a man in the room who had his leg amputated. As soon as the words came out of my mouth I wish I could have shoved them back in. I felt bad and although innocently said this in his presence I think it would qualify as an inappropriate comment. Oh I know -- it's probably trivial as opposed to what we're talking about here but my point is -- I'm 52 yrs old. Shouldn't I have known better? The answer is -- yes I do know better but, I just wasn't thinking when I said it.
I know, it sounds harsh and judgmental, and I certainly have no way of knowing the heart and mind of the man in question, but the entire scenario is simply beyond me.

No, none of us can know the heart and mind of the man. I don't consider you're being harsh on the man per se -- but rather harsh on the behavior. Isn't there a difference?

Add to that, I cannot imagine ANYONE getting healed by that class.
I did. There was a time when I hated the idea of marriage. Coming from a background of growing up in one that was hell I could never see myself making a commitment to anyone. That class changed my thinking. I met a woman (not a TWIer) and three days later proposed to her. I've been married to her for over 30 yrs.
I know, I am not God and do not always understand His ways, so I can leave open the notion that it is possible, I simply can't imagine it.

That sounds fair enuf to me.

Look out Larry!... :o

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTITHA8twI"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTITHA8twI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTITHA8twI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Gosh darn it Eyes! Every day is trick or treat as far as I'm concerned.

Piece of candy. Go for a ride. ;)

Funny,... would you like to ride my fin? :biglaugh:

Does it feel anything like a tack? :)

Only one way to find out! :biglaugh:

But watch out for the teeth. Remember the parable about the scorpion wanting a ride across the river? :evildenk:

Only one way to find out! :biglaugh:

But watch out for the teeth. Remember the parable about the scorpion wanting a ride across the river? :evildenk:

Oh what the heck. It might be good for my hemorrhoids. ;)

I don't recall that parable. I'm afraid to look it up 'cause I might discover you just took another bite outta my a$$ and the pain would be unbearable. :)

Oh what the heck. It might be good for my hemorrhoids. ;)

I don't recall that parable. I'm afraid to look it up 'cause I might discover you just took another bite outta my a$$ and the pain would be unbearable. :)

No new bites this evening...if I eat too late I get indigestion. :rolleyes:

No new bites this evening...if I eat too late I get indigestion. :rolleyes:

What! Sharks don't go in for Midnight snacks? Hmm . . . wait a minute. It's after midnight. Nevermind. :)

The Parable of the Scorpion and the Turtle

A scorpion and a turtle stood at the edge of a river. As the turtle prepared to swim across, the scorpion asked, "Will you give me a ride across?"

"Absolutely not," the turtle responded. "You are a scorpion, and you will sting me before we get to the other side."

"No I won't," the scorpion answered. "That wouldn't make any sense, because if I sting you while we cross, we'll both drown. I want to get to the other side as much as you do. So let's work together, what do you say?"

It tok a while, but the scorpion finally convinced the turtle to let him ride on his back as he swam across the river. As they drew close to the opposite shore, the scorpion raised his tail and stung the turtle.

"What did you do that for?" the turtle cried. "Now we're both dead!"

The scorpion just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Welcome to the Middle East."

:)

Okay, johniam. I retract my statement of disbelief. Yes, that's right. I do hereby state for all to see (and feel if they're inclined) that that the aged man of 70's wally got well, if you say it did. It would certainly get anyone's attention, figuratively speaking, to witness such an event let alone actually feel it.

It warms my heart this night knowing that somewhere even now, the memory of the old man and his erection and the young lady who felt it still brings glory to God, in it's own unique way.

Okay, johniam. I retract my statement of disbelief. Yes, that's right. I do hereby state for all to see (and feel if they're inclined) that that the aged man of 70's wally got well, if you say it did. It would certainly get anyone's attention, figuratively speaking, to witness such an event let alone actually feel it.

It warms my heart this night knowing that somewhere even now, the memory of the old man and his erection and the young lady who felt it still brings glory to God, in it's own unique way.

Socks, don't give up your day job.

Ready to go,

He was

Ready to go.

Felt his....

Hmm, wait.

If you want it here it is, come and get it.

Better hurry cause it's going fast.

If you want it, here it is, come and get it.

But you better hurry cause it may not last.

Sigh. Hopeless. Sorry. :biglaugh:

Never let it be said on GSC that the deacons don't deac and the elders don't eld. So how's the view from the cheap seats guys? At least I was THERE. Your comments aren't worth responding to.

Oh come on John, you've been around these forums long enough to have at least an inkling of the kind of response that story would get.

Larry, I didn't miss your point, really. I know we have all done thoughtless and inappropriate things in our lives. But I have to say, at the very least the erection one takes the cake! I wouldn't think at 70, it would require much thought, the inappropriateness of THAT particularly manuever is pretty deeply ingrained in most met, no?

While I still will admit to having learned some good things while in twi, even from pfal, I also realize that there were things taught and shown to us that had to be sexually motivated, there is just no other way of looking at it.

Nothing new, just wanted to join in for a moment.

And Socks you are certainly an awesome part of this community here.

All have good Fridays please.

Socks, I do believe you should write a song for that post.

I know it would begin with the traditional

"Rise up o men of God...."

While I still will admit to having learned some good things while in twi, even from pfal, I also realize that there were things taught and shown to us that had to be sexually motivated, there is just no other way of looking at it.

Nothing new, just wanted to join in for a moment.

And Socks you are certainly an awesome part of this community here.

All have good Fridays please.

Larry, I didn't miss your point, really. I know we have all done thoughtless and inappropriate things in our lives. But I have to say, at the very least the erection one takes the cake! I wouldn't think at 70, it would require much thought, the inappropriateness of THAT particularly manuever is pretty deeply ingrained in most met, no?

Ok. I sense nothing short of a miracle will cause us to look at this situation through the same lenses. Your question is an interesting one – in the field of psychology and sociality. Our attitudes develop and ingrain themselves in our psyche over a period of time and once ingrained are difficult to root out. How much of this man's behavior can be attributed to the way he had conducted his life prior to this occasion I cannot say. I would have to know his history.

Someone said – perhaps it was you – that we each get out of something what we need (or words to that effect). I bring this up because – I recall from the CFS 1 Corinthians 7 being discussed – especially: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman." And I wonder – Was the man sleeping during this segment of the class? Or did he predate Clinton (in his thinking) and thought that having the woman touch him was a loop-hole?

All of this beside, we cannot know with any certainty what was going through the man's mind at the time – but it brings up in my mind another issue. How would you have dealt with it (assuming you were the instructor or a friend of the man)?

Two personal experiences come to mind (one that occurred before I took CFS and one long afterwards).

When I first started getting involved with TWI one guy, that was likewise new, made advances towards me. I was shocked! I told the TC that either that guy was to be told not to come back or I wouldn't be coming back.

The second incident (that occurred in close proximity to my departure) involved a man in the same twig I was a member of who was a "recovering" homosexual (let's not debate the concept of the term "recovering"). We had become very good friends and he spent a lot of time at my home.

Sometimes on Fridays my family (with him present) would watch a movie together. He had asked if we could watch a movie – I believe it was called "The Crying Game". I said sure. I had no knowledge of what the movie was about but he thought it was an excellent one. It didn't take long before I realized that such a movie was inappropriate for family viewing. I got up; went to the television; and turned it off saying: I've seen enuf. I then turned and walked out of the house (my own house). A few minutes later he followed me and we talked about what just went down. He apologized.

Now, I wasn't shocked, nor outraged. If I was I might not have been able to communicate with him why such a movie was inappropriate for a family movie night. Oh sure – he would have known that I didn't appreciate what he did if I were to have yelled and screamed at him but would he have really learned anything?

So, how would you have dealt with the situation of the 70 yr old man's inappropriate behavior?