GreaseSpot Cafe

LEAD

Hooner

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BLEAD was a psuedo-christian Outward Bound program that was operated in the mountains near Tinnie New Mexico. The Corps had to hitch hike from various locations to the outback town of Tinnie in a specified amount of time or they were sent back the moment they arrived and then hitched back to the locations then had to come up with the money to go again.

Safety went out the window at BLEAD and never did I ever see a group come back without someone having been injured in some way.

WHen you went you backpacked, Rock Climbed, went out on a dou (You and God. as opposed to a solo that they did at outward bound). hiked to the top of some peaks. while some interim corps people exercised all the muscle they had over you. It was a fun but very dangerous experience. Usually youe evaluation at the end focused on what they thought were the negatives you had in your life and it was one of the most humiliating moments anyony in the corps was subjected to (unless you were a pretty, sexy woman who was on the willing to give it up list).

If BLEAD were operating today it would be shut down in a heart beat because of their dangerous practices. They never should have been allowed to operate.

LEAD was resurrected beginning at the 20th WC (I think) and done during their last year in rez. This was in 92. Wc hitchhiked to Gunnison from Ohio. They had a deadline of a certain amount of hours (I don't remember how many) to get there too. Then did the hiking climbing rappelling and duo stuff. Then hitchhiked back. In 94 or 95 they got rid of the hitchhiking part and substitued some type of map reading. It was probably one of the best times of my in rez experience. I just really loved the duo time-even though it snowed and it was COLD. The view was awesome and I did make some life changing decisions there. The individuals in charge of our group were genuinely concerned for us and were great examples of servants. (Though it was also a very HARD and challenging experience too.)

LEAD was resurrected beginning at the 20th WC (I think) and done during their last year in rez. This was in 92. Wc hitchhiked to Gunnison from Ohio. They had a deadline of a certain amount of hours (I don't remember how many) to get there too. Then did the hiking climbing rappelling and duo stuff. Then hitchhiked back. In 94 or 95 they got rid of the hitchhiking part and substitued some type of map reading. It was probably one of the best times of my in rez experience. I just really loved the duo time-even though it snowed and it was COLD. The view was awesome and I did make some life changing decisions there. The individuals in charge of our group were genuinely concerned for us and were great examples of servants. (Though it was also a very HARD and challenging experience too.)

Yes- HQ then Gunnison then back to HQ

It seemed like those who were rock jocks got a good appraisal and those that weren't well you know the rest of the story.

I was not a rock jock, but I told them that I didn't care what appraisal they gave me because I did my best and God knew it.

I wouldn't ever care to go again. I liked the scenery, but that was it.

LEAD was a positive and wonderful experience for me both times that I went. First time in 1980 in the winter, and the second time in the spring of 1982. The staff there were mostly good people. The first year I went (and those sessions were a full two weeks long), no one was injured, and there were many wonderful breakthroughs for people who had never been out doors much. Lots of fear of the unknown regarding "The Outdoors" was conquered. For me, the physical aspects of it were not much of a challenge. I was very fit, and had already done a bit of climbing, and lots of hiking (read that last as- hunting). What was challenging for me during that session was that of being one who was willing to get out of my sleeping bag on those cold and snowy mornings, and help with the fire, and get breakfast going etc. But I noticed this about myself, and made the change, even though it was hard with my lazy arsed attitude. But I did it. We called our solo a solo that year, but by the time I went again, it had become a "duo". But really, was the concept of a "duo" really that bad? What is wrong with calling it that? It was supposed to be a time alone with God. Jesus went out into the wilderness to be alone with God, and we as Christians are instructed to follow Jesus's lifestyle. At least at that time we considered ourselves as Christians, and I think that term as appropos. Maybe now, that some here have rejected Christianity, it seems stupid. But for me, who still regards myself as a Christian, I don't see anything wrong with the term.

And so, I had a great time and enjoyed it immensely. My second time was no less better. One girl while we were hiking back down from Sunset peak, did slip and fall and then tumble down the embankment, banging up her knee fairly badly. However, she was a real trooper, boned up, and was fine by the time we all got back to Emporia. Yes, there were negative incidents, some incredibly so, but there were also many many positive incidents, and some that were quite phenomenal. On my way back home the first time, my hitching partner and I prayed to God that somebody would take us out to a steak dinner, and specifically, we asked God for some cold, fresh brewed iced tea. And that is exactly what happened with our next ride. We started telling this guy about Jesus Christ, and he was so blessed, that he said; "Well now, I'm gonna take you kids to dinner in Roswell. Do you all want a nice steak dinner? Well, my partner and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing! And when he asked why, we told him about our prayer, and he got all teary eyed and said that he was just so thankful to have met us and to see God work in his life like that". And so, she and I ate at a steak place with this guy, hogged out at the salad bar, ate like we'd never eaten before, and man was it so fine! And, they served freshed brewed iced tea! And, the guy said he'd give us a ride all the way to Emporia, but that he was in Roswell to visit a person in the hospital who need his prayers. And so, we went with him to the hospital to pray for his friend, and later, he dropped us off at a truck stop on the east side of town. We made it back to The Big E in record time, and it was a really great time.

And by the way, there have been a number of deaths during Outward Bound sessions. The fact is, these kinds of "outdoor challenge sessions" have their risks. Here in this article, two people died in the intense heat in Utah:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-0...ah-deaths_x.htm

And according to this article, there have been 24 deaths in the 46 year history of Outward Bound:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventur...ward-bound.html

And so, what was negligent to me about the LEAD program, was that The Way required The Way Corps to "go LEAD", and that should not have been the case. Some people are simply not cut out to do that kind of a thing. And when one decides to do the Outward Bound Challenge, it is a personal decision on their part, and they no doubt had to sign some kind of a legal document, where they acknowledged the possibilities of fatal accidents. I am aware of only one person who died on LEAD, and he was a friend of mine. He ran my first PFAL class. He was a black man, and while hitch hiking, he was hit by a truck and killed. Many of us loved this man, for he was a dear and "heart of gold fellow". The driver sped off and was never apprehended. I suspect that it was a racially based murder. But I guess we'll never know until we all get to Heaven. The truck accident was just that, an accident, and even though many of us "Wayfers" didn't believe these things could happen to us like it did to those in the LEAD Accident because we had "God's wall of fire of protection about us", the accident happened, and thank God, no one was killed! That's a thing to be thankful for, I think, right? No doubt those involved all have thought the same thing! But for many many people in The Way Corps, LEAD was a very positive experience. You may not find that sentiment here at the GSCafe that often, because this site is designed to point out the negatives of The Way. But, there are many other websites where "Way bashing" is not as popular as it is here, and no doubt at those places, you will find good reports about the LEAD program. I will always cherish those times on LEAD, for they were good.

And so Hooner, I just thought I would let you know that there are more than one side to a story... :)

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Gladtobeout I was a rockjock then and still am (I am a professional Rock Climber for a living - All I do is rock and Ice Climbing to feed my family) . I was a certified guide before I went into the corps. I mentioned to Kevin Smyth some safety problems I saw and suddenly I was blasted for being full of pride. I had a good time there but I hated how the staff ran things. To tell you what a rock jock I am I competed in the World Cup 10 years after I went to BLEAD (came in 60th and I ranked 30th in the US). So it wasn't being a rock jock that gave you a good evaluiation it was your ability to be a rock jock and really suck up.

Edited by Out There

It was the same twit-mog leadeshipship who ran LEAD. They were full of pride and ego. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I remember the brain dead leader we had telling us to follow every footstep she took so we would learn to follow in the footsteps of Jesus Christ-(gag me.)

Then the next thing I knew they got us lost and we walked for two days in the wilderness with no food or water.

LOTS OF FUN.

And hey Out There,

I don't doubt the BS that you saw. I was fortunate to have some really "heartsy" LEAD staff on the sessions that I was on. But I also know that there were some real azzoles there too. I call it the "people factor": "novices, lifted up with pride", something the Bible warns us about. Anyway, I am good friends with Steve Armstrong, who was one of the original LEAD staffers, who in fact helped to set the whole thing up, and he is a really great guy. He is one who definitely was sad to see the way that LEAD went, for his vision was way different than what it became. In fact, he now runs a school called "Sojourn Mountaineering" (That name is correct-I think), and has actually taken young people "back to the summit" on a LEAD type session. I think his website can be found easily. There is even an account of the first time he and his kids and some other teens "went back to the summit" at his website. He is no longer with The Way, but still believes in the benefits that can be had from these types of challenges. And, I would bet that you too can appreciate the benefits from this type of school, were it done correctly. Maybe I can find his site for you, for your perusal:

http://www.cicword.com/SMI%20is.htm

No doubt Steve has come a long way from his Way days, but his love for the mountains and for climbing still lives. Maybe you might find his web site interesting.

Well --- for what it's worth -- I had a good time at LEAD as well. But I wasn't corps. It was an *open session* for those in the South Dakota area who had a hankering to attend. Being nearby (here in Minney-soda), I signed up for it.

That was 1985. May of 1985 to be more exact. Chri$ (Mr. Gestapo-Personified) Gr@nl!ch was the area leader at the time, and he encouraged us all to *do the deed*. Well -- I signed up, paid the money, and (for once) he was pleased with me for my decision.

He was LESS pleased -- when he realized that I was going to DRIVE my car there (at that time a Datsun station wagon *wow-mobile*, rather than hitch-hike). I got read the riot act by him, but I just didn't give a sh!t about what he thought. I told him to *stuff it*, in so many words, since I was going through a divorce at the same time -- and I thought it a good time to be alone on the road --- and ruminate.

Next thing I know -- He calls me, and wants to know if I can give *XYZ* person a ride there.

"Hey --- He's on your route, and since you're driving , can you give him a ride?"

I told him (Chr!$) --- no FFFF'n way! I needed time to myself, and didn't want a part of anyone else's life there for that road trip. I had my own stuff to deal with -- and open road helps me do that. I didn't need someone riding shotgun at that point and time of my life.

I'll make a long story short -- I got to South Dakota, Rapid City (Black Hills -- where this was all taking place), and did the LEAD thing. Ironic --- I remember a man named Kevin there at LEAD. Dunno if he was the same as mentioned here. Perhaps he was.

Anyhoo -- he put Chr!$ in his place, when Chr!$ dared to suggest that HIS *twig* (us fom Minney-soda) -- be all in the same group, tents, etc. Kevin did an admirable job of *blasting* Chr!$ for daring to think that he was in control --- when in fact he wasn't.

There's more to this story -- but it will have to wait.

:)

Edited by dmiller

And hey Out There,

I don't doubt the BS that you saw. I was fortunate to have some really "heartsy" LEAD staff on the sessions that I was on. But I also know that there were some real azzoles there too. I call it the "people factor": "novices, lifted up with pride", something the Bible warns us about.

For many.....the LEAD experience factors in the weather conditions, the hitch-hiking episode, the staff members at Tinnie, one's physical strength and conditioning, any reproof sessions culminating in the LEAD evaluation and the reception back at Emporia (or Rome City). All factors contributed to one's overall experience......therefore, the range of the LEAD experiences will vary greatly.

How twi thought that THIS experience would be a major indicator of one's spirituality.......

:doh:

Gladtobeout I was a rockjock then and still am (I am a professional Rock Climber for a living - All I do is rock and Ice Climbing to feed my family) . I was a certified guide before I went into the corps. I mentioned to Kevin Smyth some safety problems I saw and suddenly I was blasted for being full of pride. I had a good time there but I hated how the staff ran things. To tell you what a rock jock I am I competed in the World Cup 10 years after I went to BLEAD (came in 60th and I ranked 30th in the US). So it wasn't being a rock jock that gave you a good evaluiation it was your ability to be a rock jock and really suck up.

I stand corrected. I hate sucking up.

If Kevin would have had any smarts, he would have asked you to help make it a much safer environment. Why not get help from an expert.

Also Jonny - Outward Bound doesn't require that it's participants hitch hike there....

I know you won't deny that the hitching was dangerous.....

I know that the hitch hiking was dangerous. But I also know that it was an excellent aspect of it, for me, my partner, as well as for many others. One guy, Gary and his partner were picked up by a man who was one of the co-owners of "Dennys" restaurants. The guy was so enthralled by what Gary and his partner were doing with the LEAD program and The Way Corps as explained by Gary, that he turned in his small rental car, rented a Lincoln Continental, drove them to Tinnie, and while on the way there, decided to pay all of Gary's Way Corps tuition. His hitching partner, a gal didn't need it, for she was already paid up. They also ate for free at a couple of Dennys's. And so, for Gary, it was one fine experience. Some the best times on both sessions for me was being on the road.

Once, these two old oil field "rough neck" cowboys (that's an oil field term) picked me and these two 12th Corps gals up in their pick up truck near Clovis, New Mexico. The old boys had a nice new pick up with a cap on the back. And also in the back they had a big mattress with their sleeping bags rolled out nicely in a ship shape manner. Well now, the girls were tired, as was I, after a long day on the road, and elected to sleep in the back. I, of course wouldn't have had it any other way for safety's sake, for there was no way I was going to be in the back with just one of the girls up front. And so I sat up front with the old boy Texans, and we had a fine time of it! For, out from under the seat came a bottle of Seagrams Seven, as well as a big bottle of Seven Up. And with plastic cups, me and the non driver got a pleasant buzz on as I listened to these two old timers tell me Texas/New Mexico/Wyoming oil field stories. Lots of rattle snake stories too. One of them had a rattlesnake hat band, which was too cool. And we had a blast! It was like; "Hey, I'm out in The World! This is fun! I'm with some real hard workin Americans" The two old guys had a rule that the driver didn't drink. Not until it was the other guys turn to drive at a later time down the road. They were funny about it and got into a mock argument with their Texas accents about who actually had the last turn at it. And when we rolled into Roswell where they let us off, when the girls woke up, one of the gals with whom I got along quite well, Karen G, noticed that I had the smell of booze on me and says; Hey you lucky dog! You guys were drinkin!" And I grinned and winked and said; "Yup! And it was fun!". The old boys caught a motel room there in Roswell, and we hung our thumbs for the last leg of the trip. And the next thing ya knew, we snagged a ride to Tinnie, all of us in the back of an open bed pick up, and there we were with only fifteen minutes from being late. The bus was there waiting, and everyone was relieved to see us for we were the last hitching group to make it in. And so, everyone made it on time, safe and sound. It was grand...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

That was 1985. May of 1985 to be more exact. Chri$ (Mr. Gestapo-Personified) Gr@nl!ch was the area leader at the time

Not to side track too much, but Dave, was he rather uneducated and obtuse then, or was it the effect of eleven years more experience in der vey that made him at the least appear that way when I met him in the 1990's?

Only thing I can think is loy didnt want anybody around more intelligent than himself.. gave all his men cans of paint and a paper bag and ordered "have at it boys.."

:biglaugh:

sorry, I know, I'm a bad squirrel..

really.. the guy left me with the impression that it was a miracle that he made it through the fifth grade..

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

Skip Wood was there when I went down for the first time. He requested that I come down early my first year in Res because I was a guide and a member of the American Alpine Club. We were talking about me getting away from the group for a few days so He and I could climb a few things he wanted to go up and also talk about the program. Just before I went all the .... hit the fan concerning VPW's dog which I understand Skip shot so skip was fast tracked out of there and we never did get together - bummer. He was a Rainier guide and I really wanted to do a few climbs with him. Ellen Wood did come up on our group and taught about foods which was really nice. David Dewald was my leader that first tine there and did a great job. It was my last year in-res that the giant butthole rose up out of the ground and tried to swallow us up.. So I do think some folks were great down there but some needed to have thier heads screwed on a little better.

I was reproved very harshly my final year because I told Kevin that he shouldadd to his climbing rack some equipment that was standard for climbing but he did not know anything about. I was told I was too prideful when it came to knowing about climbing gear (huh?)

Jonny, thanks for the tip on Steve Armstrong. I will definately look him up

I think lots of folks were "pretty nice guys" sometimes and jerks at other times. We were young, brash, and the side effect of what we learned is that we became prideful and arrogant.

For a lot of folks, there were momentary lapses of reason, for others it was the insanity that was infrequent.

The main thing about LEAD and the hitching experience is that while folks got blessed - some got hurt, maimed and even killed. That alone should have warranted changes in the program early on. A program that is supposed to "Bless God's people" shouldn't have obviously dangerous aspects to it.

i agree

i cannot understand where someone could see it as a good thing

i had a VERY good experience

but you know what --

real people died, real people got raped, real people had toes cut off, real people took their own lives, real people got HURT

so what does my little "blessing" have to do with anything ????

i'm trying to figure this stuff out.....

i don't THINK i was special or had my needs and wants parallel

these are things i may just have to bring up at that "bema" place.....

until then, my heart will go on crying (remember that song "until then")