GreaseSpot Cafe

The Secret to a Holy Life by VP Wierwille

act2

If all you want to do is sell your TWI material why don't you just put a disclaimer on it saying something along the lines of: "Warning! This material (if you're hoodwinked into believing it) will warp your thinking and life. Read it at your own peril." That way, you can have a clear conscience (as you spend your money) for selling something you believe is evil and harmful to people

I heard the story once (true or not -- I haven't a clue), about a liquor store owner.

He got *saved* and decided all (liquid) spirits were evil.

He decided to sell his building, but was going to break every bottle in it before he did.

He didn't want to pass on those *evil spirits* that he now considered harmful.

He was finally convinced to NOT do that, and just sell his business intact.

What convinced him was the reasoning that folks are gonna drink, regardless.

And while that story (true or not) may have nothing to do with this discussion ---

the principle is the same. Folks are going to find a way to *indulge*, one way or another.

Act2 (or anyone) who sells twi stuff to be rid of it aren't guilty

of maliciously passing along error to unsuspecting folks.

There's a willing crowd out there looking for what we don't want anymore.

(Just like the liquor store owner, and the stock he had on his shelves).

The folks who buy this stuff aren't *newbies* -- but I guess you knew that, eh??

The old saying still holds true ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ONE MAN'S TRASH IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE"

I think it's gonna be that way until Christ comes back --

because we won't have any *trash* from THAT experience.

:)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to chime in after Wds' excellent post and make a couple of other reading recommendations:

Dallas Willard The Divine Conspiracy

Hanna Smith The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life

Author's name escapes me: The Pursuit of Holiness Jerry Bridges?

Dan <--- sold a bunch of TWI stuff on ebay once and brought in over $700. Might do another one... rescued about ten WOW coffee mugs from a friend's trash can and some lingering items I have found around here since. If I had any Harry Potter, I'd sell that too, with no warnings attached!

Edited by anotherDan

I have no qualms about selling twi crap to the highest bidder...The books are nothing by themselves...the "brainwashing" in twi occured through programs that followed standard conditioning techniques...especially, the corps training.

The books are poorly written and really offer the same things that you can find in a million other "self help" books. I suspect that the people buying them are old "waybrainers" who still stalk our communities with glassy eyes and ALREADY believe all the crap that's in those books...sure pal, fork over the money, they're all yours...at least there's SOMETHING to salvage out of this "investment"...

I have no qualms about selling twi crap to the highest bidder...The books are nothing by themselves...the "brainwashing" in twi occured through programs that followed standard conditioning techniques...especially, the corps training.

The books are poorly written and really offer the same things that you can find in a million other "self help" books. I suspect that the people buying them are old "waybrainers" who still stalk our communities with glassy eyes and ALREADY believe all the crap that's in those books...sure pal, fork over the money, they're all yours...at least there's SOMETHING to salvage out of this "investment"...

I went to the Barnes and Noble Bookstore the other day.

I asked the clerk where the *self-help* section was.

He said -- "If I told you -- it would defeat the purpose".

:D

dmiller FUNNY!

:lol:

Dr. Wierwille's historical context was in the middle of the self-help revolution. Think and Grow Rich, Winning Through Intimidation, How to Win Friends and Influence People. Some of these ideas were profoundly ungodly.

Notable exception: A few years ago I met Charlie "Tremendous" Jones in Mechanicsburg, PA. It was a real treat. That man loves the Lord, and he loves people. He got better with age!

dmiller, my parents owned a grocery store when I was growing up (in a small town of 900 people). He never sold cigarettes and many told him that he would never make it in the grocery business. He DID sell fantastic smoked hams and sausage that he made himself. I mentioned this on another thread about the meats. Anyway, including my parents there were 10 mouths to feed. We never went hungry!! But I guess it would be hard to have a liquor store and not sell liquor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heehee

Dan, put your stuff on!!!!!!!!! I bet those cups will bring BIG BUCKS and you could donate part of the proceeds to me.... just kidding. Thinking about another post when I keyed this in!!!!!!!!!

Hamm, you are right indeed.

Groucho, yeah, I am getting SOME of my money back that I donated over 19 years of my life.

dmiller, you are funny about the self-help books....

waterbuffalo, I try to do the same thing. Also, since most anybody can find out my name, due to posting about where I have lived and now live, etc. I am cautious about what I write MOST of the time. I am not anonymous. I would not intentionally hurt anyone's feelings ever in real life or in cyberspace.

Dmiller you've touched on the point that I was making. This is a moral issue.

I heard the story once (true or not -- I haven't a clue), about a liquor store owner.

He got *saved* and decided all (liquid) spirits were evil.

He decided to sell his building, but was going to break every bottle in it before he did.

He didn't want to pass on those *evil spirits* that he now considered harmful.

He was finally convinced to NOT do that, and just sell his business intact.

What convinced him was the reasoning that folks are gonna drink, regardless.

The key here is: He was CONVINCED by others. They were able to chip away at his moral integrity by rationalizing that people are going to drink anyways. Does that mean because people are going to drink anyways that I (personally) should contribute to their drinking?

Let me use another example.

Let's say a televangelist is making money by willfully preaching something he believes is false. Does it matter that people are going to believe false doctrine anyways. Why shouldn't the televangelist make a buck off of the fact that if it's not him teaching the false doctrine someone else will? And if you, as a the station owner knows that what the televangelist is preaching is false doctrine should you ignore it because if you don't provide him with an outlet someone else will?

There's a willing crowd out there looking for what we don't want anymore.

(Just like the liquor store owner, and the stock he had on his shelves).

The folks who buy this stuff aren't *newbies* -- but I guess you knew that, eh??

No, I don't know that and neither do you. But what the hey. If you think there's nothing immoral about doing it -- go for it. I simply disagree.

hmm. You know, I knew a "believer" who had a guilt free opinion about growing pot. The person claimed the effects of the drug are not as bad as the effects of media propaganda which people exposed themselves to on televsion sets which I happened to repair..

Well put, Groucho! And, as someone else said, the only people who would even know about these books are either already brainwashed or people who would want to study wierwille's "doctrine" such as deprogrammers, etc. And, as Act2 said, they'll listen to reason when they're ready and not before (I'm paraphrasing here, lol).

I think there are some folks out there that will collect these books because they are cult material. They might use it for research in what TWI believed.

Others will treat is as "just another commentary." Granted, they are not GOOD commentaries and poorly written.

Maybe some collect them as an example of what NOT to do... :spy:

Who knows, the books might just be purchased to fill out a bookshelf with "just the right colors." ;)

I think there are some folks out there that will collect these books because they are cult material. Could be.They might use it for research in what TWI believed. Could be.

Others will treat is as "just another commentary." Could be. Granted, they are not GOOD commentaries and poorly written. Matter of opinion.

Maybe some collect them as an example of what NOT to do... :spy: Could be.

Who knows, the books might just be purchased to fill out a bookshelf with "just the right colors." ;) Could be, but they make book covers for that and they're usually cheaper. ;)

• 1 month later...

Just bringing this back up for all to see how Larry posted to me and how others (THANK YOU) came to my rescue.

The question I try to ask myself before posting MOST OF THE TIME is: Would I want my mom or anyone in my family to read this? If the answer is yes, I post.

God Bless ALL OF YOU who have your hearts in the right place!!!!!