GreaseSpot Cafe

Now reading "other" Christian books

Dot Matrix

quote: Excuse me, Waysider, but Rascal is the one who did this. Reread the thread.

O RLY?

QUOTE(johniam @ Aug 20 2007, 09:38 AM)

(snip)

In 70s/80s TWI they didn't discourage reading material from other authors.

(snip)

I suppose that it struck me so forcibly post twi was that in this woman...I saw how it was SUPPOSED to work with God.

It wasn`t about witnessing and running classes and trying to do as many works as we could to stay in his will.

It was about having him to lean on for strength in times of trial. Knowing that in spite of how awfull things look...that he is there with us...that he will see us through...that we can safely trust ... he isn`t conditional according to whether or not we have operated all of the formulas and principles correctly.

Yes, really.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote: Excuse me, Waysider, but Rascal is the one who did this. Reread the thread.

O RLY?

QUOTE(johniam @ Aug 20 2007, 09:38 AM)

(snip)

In 70s/80s TWI they didn't discourage reading material from other authors.

(snip)

Yes, really.

johniam

Please pay attention to the context.

Rascal was discussing a book she read and drawing a parallel.

That's what this thread is about, books we have read or want to read.

It's not about refuting the reality of isolationism.

There is a * start new topic* button if anyone desires to do that.

It's simply not true that TWI encouraged us to read any materials that they did not first approve or recommend.

Yes, John, they did encourage reading non-TWI authored books.

( Non-TWI books that they preselected).

Even in the PFAL class, VPW challenged us to *put away all secular materials*.

Do you not remember that?

Thanks for helping clarify guys.

I have found that God has been able to reach and teach me through a variety of different books since leaving. Mostly non doctrinal books..

On the other hand my husband has read mostly doctrinal type stuff...one God one lord....love languages...ces publications...that is the type of thing that holds meaning for him.

While I couldn`t stomach that and he had no desire to read what I found was meaningfull and had impact....the truly wierd thing is....we have for the most part ended up on the same page as far as our understanding goes...

I get so tickled at arriving at the same place through entirely different routs.

It is like God works with each of us in the way we best can comprehend.

I think that is how it may work for all of us....

What rings the bells and whistles for me.....particular books......activities with inspirational people...is not necessarily what will bring healing and growth to someone else.

It seems like there is a willingness to custom designed the path that works for us. I don`t have to force myself into somebody elses mold.

Edited by rascal

quote: It's simply not true that TWI encouraged us to read any materials that they did not first approve or recommend.

Yes, John, they did encourage reading non-TWI authored books.

( Non-TWI books that they preselected).

Even in the PFAL class, VPW challenged us to *put away all secular materials*.

Do you not remember that?

I said that 70s/80s twi didn't discourage us from reading non twi books. I heard references to them all the time in teachings, both at HQ and at the twig level. Yes, I remember VP saying to put away all secular materials...as a challenge, not as a command, and that only for 3 months, saying if we did it, we wouldn't know ourselves.

I get so tickled at arriving at the same place through entirely different routs.

I think that is how it may work for all of us....

What rings the bells and whistles for me.....particular books......activities with inspirational people...is not necessarily what will bring healing and growth to someone else.

It seems like there is a willingness to custom designed the path that works for us. I don`t have to force myself into somebody elses mold.

I also love to see God work in this manner.

I havent read any "books" recently but I do read the "Biblical Archeological Review" regularly as well as "The Smithsonian Magazine" and the "Discovery" magazine. All lend a different aspect of the world around us to my perspective.

In Romans chapter one God says that "For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, His eternal power and Godhead..."

I figure that if God shows us the invisible things through that which is visible and in understanding those things we witness his Godhead and eternal power then it behoves me to pay attention to the world around me.

quote: I have found that God has been able to reach and teach me through a variety of different books since leaving. Mostly non doctrinal books..

On the other hand my husband has read mostly doctrinal type stuff...one God one lord....love languages...ces publications...that is the type of thing that holds meaning for him.

While I couldn`t stomach that and he had no desire to read what I found was meaningfull and had impact....the truly wierd thing is....we have for the most part ended up on the same page as far as our understanding goes...

Rascal. That's cool. I'm serious. God can take situations that seem impossible by the 5 senses and make them work. I'm blessed you shared that. BTW I nominated you to be the next twi pres.

• 6 months later...

Well, this started off as an interesting thread but when I wasn't looking seems to have deteriorated quite a bit.

A book I have been reading lately is called: "J Hudson Taylor - A Man in Christ" by Roger Steer, in the Missonary Life Stories series (ISBN 1-85078-408-6). Hudson Taylor was born in 1832 and it became his life's work to be a missionary in China. It was a difficult time, civil war and outsiders not specially welcome. He insisted on wearing Chinese dress (and insisted his missionaries also did) and that "was rooted in his deep respect for Chinese culture and his sensitive perception of the role of the missionary, in which he was far ahead of his time." Because of that, he made inroads where western-dressed missionaries simply were not accepted. This remarkable man also would not accept any distinction between laity and clergy and insisted all were equal before God, not a decision that won many friends among missionary circles.

He was contemporary with George Muller, based his own expectation of getting his needs met on Muller's (prayer but never asking), and in fact time and again Muller sent him funds to support his outreach work.

the yada yada prayer group series i liked alot.also sheila walsh and joni earkeson tada are very inspirational,

the present darkness,piercing the darkness are a few i liked and the srewtape letters by c.s. lewis.

• 9 months later...

I've enjoyed reading Martin Luther's books on "Romans." There's also a great book called "What Luther Wrote" that's comments from his writings organized topically. Instead of some ancient figure he definitely comes across as a man who lived life to the fullest.

TommyZ, there are several books/commentaries that Luther wrote(at least 55 volumes of Luther's Works from Augsburg/Fortress Press and Concordia Publishing House).