GreaseSpot Cafe

HORSEY BACK RIDING LESSONS

RottieGrrrl

Okay. So I go for my first horsey back riding lesson. I decided to take private lessons because I don’t want to be the only old lady in a group of kids. 75 bucks an hour every other week is what I am doing.

And let me tell you, getting on a big tall ole horse after 30 something years was SCARY!

This young woman who is my instructor, (Brook, really nice even if she has a pierced nose, what is it with these young uns? ) took the horsey by the reigns and led me around the stable like we were on a pony ride.

I chatted with her and I got comfortable so I wasn’t that scared any more. I had to get on a stepping stool kind of thing to get on the horse, but to get off of it she led me to the middle of the stable and I had to get off myself! Well I did and I was so proud of myself.

Anyway when I went to work the following Monday, our maintenance guy Finney (who I really a great man, retired, just helps with odds and ends on the building to keep busy) said to me “dammit rottie! Your going to break your damn back if you fall of that bleeping horse!

Well thanks loads Finney, just what I needed to hear

So anyone who rides horseys I would appreciate a little word of encouragement!

BTW I’m learning English. I would have preferred Western, at least you have a saddle horn to hang onto, but I had to take what I can get!

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I've ridden a horse once only. Back in 1971.

While living in Indiana (during my college years),

I got a summer job here in Minney-soda at Camp Thunderbird.

It was a summer camp for the kids of rich (mostly) Jewish folks,

and one of the activities for the campers was horseback riding.

The camp was in Bemidji Mn., near the headwaters of the Mississippi.

The horses were stabled for the winter at a farm down the road

from the camp (about 5 miles or so), until the *season* started.

Then they needed to be brought from the farm to the camp.

Any of the camp counselors who wanted to ride a horse back to camp,

were trucked over to the farm, and we saddled up for ride back to T-bird.

It was a fun time. Lazy riding on country roads, heading from point A to point B.

The horse I was on had a foal that kept close to mama.

The ride was peaceful (for me) until we got back to the camp.

Somehow the foal got ahead of, and separated from mama.

Mama panics and decides to look for her foal -- at breakneck speed!!

She goes into a frenzied gallop that I didn't know how to react to!

(Shucks -- I'd never ridden a horse before -- How do you stop this thing?)

I'm hanging on for dear life as the scenery flashes by. By now we were back in camp,

and we're there in the trees with low hanging branches, dirt path, the whole bit.

Low hanging branches appeared head high to me so fast and quickly ---

I barely had time to duck, to avoid being wiped out by one of them.

I kept saying WHOA!!!! but that didn't work at all.

Mama galloped until she found junior, and then FINALLY slowed down.

When she did, she stopped, and believe you me --

I got down right then and there!

That was the only time I've ridden a horse. Back in 1971. :)

On a side note --

all the other folks who *herded* the horses that night,

were walking funny the next day. Guess the ride got to their legs.

I'm naturally bow legged, so that didn't affect me at all.

But mama looking for junior did.

;)

Rottie...the single most important thing is tell me please please please that you are wearing a good helmet.

Your head is vulnerable...that old horse is very unlikely to hurt you....most older horses take very good care of their riders...they seem to sense that the person on their back needs looking after.

If you are really afraid...there are rib protectors....kind of like a flack jacket, but I don`t think that you will need it.

I think that it is very wonderfulll that you are learning a new thing....I trust the old guy to take care of you...I think riding in an arena will provide safety....

Relax and have fun....this is one of lifes great pleasures.

Rottie

I have only ridden a horse one time and that was 50 years ago.

BUT--- I have a friend(former co-worker) who, along with his kids, "rodeo'ed" for years.

Currently he has a feed business and an on-line site.

He has a lot of everyday, real-life kind of knowledge about horses.

His web site is mostly about how to buy your first horse and proper nutrition.

I know that is not what you are looking for but he has an e-mail function and he is a a very helpful kind of guy.

I see him a couple times a week so if you think you might want to communicate with him, send me a pm and I will give you his www.

I think it's pretty cool you are doing something for "yourself".

first time I went riding, about 25 years ago my rodeo clown friend was one horse short for my family. He told me his mule would be better for me anyway, since I had never ridden. He instructed me to just squeeze my knees together when I wanted to move. there was only one problem. ........

Squeezing the knees was the signal for this mule to move allright, but the motion was all up and down not forward. He had trained it to buck. Bob got a great laugh out of me. We recalled that incident this spring and this time we both laughed.

~HAP

Tom, Nico doesn’t like it if I try to use her rump for a pillow,much less ride her!

Dmiller, normally I wouldn’t laugh at such a mishap, but since it happened so long ago I guess it’s safe too. I have these mind pics, I would have been terrified and that would have definitely been the end of my horseback riding adventures as well!

rascal: YES I’m wearing a helmet! Although that’s not 100 percent full protection it’s better than not wearing one I’m sure! And I know I want to relax and have fun! This is something I’ve always wanted to learn.

(((exie)))

waysider, if you think he wouldn’t mind that would be great! I’d take a look at his website anyway

coolchef, yeah, I know, and it’s not like I can’t spend the money on other things, but as long as I can do it for right now, I may as well take advantage of it I figure about 10 to 15 lessons, and I could quit smoking that would easily pay for itself right there!

Garth; NO KIDDING!!!!!!!!!1

HAPe: I don’t think I would mind a mule at all. They may be stubborn, but at least they are slow and low to the ground.

Thanks all for your input!

Actually, the hardest thing, (in my humble opinion) is just getting it into your head that the horse isn't looking to hurt you. It may be a lot bigger than you, but it has spent it's whole life being handled and taught to cooperate with humans. Listen to what you instructor tells you to do, and treat your horse with a kind but firm manner and you will be a terrific rider in no time!!

Color me "jealous"!!

Great Rottie, it sounds like you are in very very good hands then.

Most accidents come from not understanding horses and how they think...

Rottie...you and I..Nico we are all predators...Horses are prey animals...they can actually smell that we are carnivors...predators....

They react to us as predators that will eat them...they have this *flight* response to danger....

Pat parelli refers to them as 1200 pound bunnies ...if you can imagine a timid little rabbit...

This helps you get an idea of why their actions can be incomprehensible to us.....they won`t act like a dog...or a person...but a frail little bunny.

An absolutely fabulous read whether you like horses of not is Monty Roberts book..*The man who listened (s?) to horses.

An incredible biograghy of his real life ...how he overcame viscious child hood abuse and went against the entire horse world...the original horse whispere

HAPe: I don't think I would mind a mule at all. They may be stubborn, but at least they are slow and low to the ground.

Thanks all for your input!

Ummm Rottie I think perhaps you are thinking of donkeys, mules often are every bit as tall or even taller than their horse mother. But you needn't be afraid of either one.

Ecathedra's comment got me looking, and I found this:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...89824-1,00.html

Interesting to me that I had never heard that so much of his book was being called into question, even though this article was written years ago.

The only other mention of this controversy I found online was a site put up by the family members disputing his book.

Normally, I would find myself siding with the person being attacked and not the family squabblers, but in this case it does look like there are all kinds of folks barely involved with the family who have evidence of falsehoods. Hmmmm....

At least it appears that his methods are not what is in question here... they usually work on most horses. But yeah, my appreciation of the man Monty Roberts has just taken a heavy hit. The list of "questionable" anecdotes and the later changes and especially his final comment, ""Don't take this wrong," says Monty to a reporter who has grown skeptical, "but if everything I said was 100% false, look at the good it's doing." brought a picture of DocVic himself to my mind. Double Hmmmm....

We now return to our original thread topic...

Rottie... what made you decide to take horseback riding lessons in the first place?

Question. Why does that horse not go when I give him a nudge or even a kick with my foot? She told me too keep looking ahead while I was doing it, to visulize where I want to go. It was kind of hard too cause I was trying to remember how to sit on it. Heels down, toes up, knees resting on saddle, sigh.

But every time I wanted it to go it just sat there and she would have to nudge it. I finally got to get it to go at the end of the lesson and then I said lets quit now cause I wanted to end the lesson on a high note.

If you are still feeling uncertainty the horse may well be picking up on that and responding with uncertainty.

I've had better luck urging a horse forward by doing more of a squeezing motion with my knees/legs than a nudging/kicking one. You might try that next time and see if you get better results. (mind you, I am NO expert here... I've just ridden on friends' horses from time to time)

Well, look at it from the horses pov.

He is dragged out of his comfy stall or paddock away from his friends and his lunch to put on a hot heavy saddle and haul our fat bu tts (figuratively speaking of course ..lol) in what to him appears to be mindless circles.

He doesn`t care that you have paid big dollars for the privelige...lol

Horses do what their herd boss tells them to. The accept orders from those they consider their boss...it is a respect issue...you have not established yourself as the dominant one yet (not that you would as a new rider). With experience comes confidence, you will communicate that to the horse...they will know...they will feel it in your posture, your balance, the way you relax ....

Just listen to your instructor, they will help you aquire the confidence to inspire the horse with respect. In the mean time to him...you are just one more chore that has to be done before he can get back to his unfinished business.

Edited by rascal