GreaseSpot Cafe

13 years later, I'm free

bowtwi

It's been 13 years since twi threw me out and turned me over to satan. That devastating blow crippled me in a few ways for a long time. Today, I believe I've gained back the last of what I lost in that act.

This evening I attended and took part in my first actual bible study since that day. Oh, I've attended church a few dozen times since then, mostly in the last few years. I've just never found a church I felt comfortable with. Til now.

I attended a 3 session class of Dale Sides' ministry, bought a bunch of his books and tapes, but never really worked them or did more than read some of the books. I listened to one of CFF's teachings in my car during part of a 6-hour drive. I've bought about 20 different versions of the bible since then, all in hopes of finding my place as a Christian that wants to study.

So, after attending church today at my local Disciples of Christ church and hearing they have a bible study that meets at 6:30 pm Sundays, not 7:30 as I had previously been told, as the mom of an 11-year-old, I decided I was going to go tonight. And I went. They didn't mind that I had my daughter there with me. We were home by 8:15.

They were studying, of all things - Revelations! LOL It was an hour-and-a-half. It was great. There was discussion and there was the instructor reading and there was more discussion. While he read, people were free to say what they wanted to. It was awesome. I'm going back in two weeks when they meet again. In the meanwhile, I plan to read the material they handed out, as they ask everyone to do.

Who knows, I may even attend the Sunday School class next week before the service! I really, really enjoyed it.

It's been 13 years since twi threw me out and turned me over to satan. That devastating blow crippled me in a few ways for a long time. Today, I believe I've gained back the last of what I lost in that act.

This evening I attended and took part in my first actual bible study since that day. Oh, I've attended church a few dozen times since then, mostly in the last few years. I've just never found a church I felt comfortable with. Til now.

Who knows, I may even attend the Sunday School class next week before the service! I really, really enjoyed it.

Bowtwi, That is so great. :eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

So glad to hear about it and I pray that you find a "church home" there where you can learn and grow and contribute.

Botwi I so happy you finally found a place where you felt comfortable. That's great news, and I don't think it matters which "church" sponsors it. I'm raising my glass to toast you with many happy years and returns and to congratulate you on the first step of the rest of your growth!

Fantastic Bow! Glad you are enjoying it.

Our family used to attend a "Christian (Disciples of Christ)" denomination church. I put it in quotes because that is the way the name of their denomination around here. We attended Lindenwood Christian (Disciples of Christ) Church. It was refreshing in the way they entertained anyone's thoughts, as long as they were thought out and not always off the cuff. Met many wonderful people there that I'm still in contact with.

Hope you and your daughter continue enjoying your time there. Christmas time was always real special - it's a very service oriented denomination our church offered many ways in which to give to and help others. And it was decorated beautifully. The Christmas hymns were still as sweet as they were when I was a child. One of these years I'm going to make it the the midnight Christmas Eve service from 11:00 to midnight.

Will look forward to sharing C(DOC) information and impressions with you.

Suda

COOL!!

Interestingly, I got up in front of a group of about 60 today and gave a Bible teaching and received an applause for it...for the first time in many years.

It was in front of the Ozark District of the Westark Council of the Boy Scouts of America at the Basic Outdoor Leader Training (B.O.L.T. AKA Rockbadge) at BSA Camp Orr. I was appointed "Chaplain" and did a teaching on the Biblical roots and significance of the Scout Law. Although the work wasn't my own, but compiled from the writings of Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts, I enjoyed it and found it rewarding...and was invited to do it again at Baden-Powell "University" in November.

Good for you, Bow. It's great to be able give our kids a solid foundation.

Edited by Ron G.

Wonderful!

And how important for the princess as well. An opportunity to see that spiritual folks can be concerned for things other than how right they are and how wrong everyone else is.

I love my church and looked long and hard to find one I felt home in, still not the same as the one in Ohio when I walked in and felt the presence of God like I had never felt before, like he was hanging out there my whole life just waiting for me to show up, but this one here is as close to that as I could find in weeks of searching and I'm at peace with it.

The thing that will continue to surprise you is how much understanding other faiths have over that of the tiny minded twi world. You will sit there and at time want to jump up and go "good golly miss molly" you understand that stuff better than twi ever will.

Love you dear!

Oh, I am so pleased for you! We too looked for a while, tried one, it didn't work out, were involved in a Grace Brethren church we really liked, then moved out of town and lo it came to pass that this same GB church planted a baby church just 8 miles from where we live now, and a pastor there became the pastor of this church, just happened to be the one we liked the most and felt comfortable with! This is our church home now!

I'm doing the ladies Bible study; Elizabeth George "A Woman After God's Own Heart" and it is delightful.

I just pray the same for you, dear, and I'm so happy for you!

WG