GreaseSpot Cafe

Christmas Dinner

Twinky

We just went out for our office Christmas Lunch yesterday. We have an Indiana lass working with us and she had never had Christmas pudding before. So she tried that - something new.

So - what does everyone usually eat for a Christmas lunch/dinner? (That's if you "celebrate" Christmas, that is; if you boringly eat just a cheese sandwich, keep quiet!)

How about:

Turkey (but my family prefers a joint of beef or pork)

Roast potatoes

Assorted Fresh vegetables; including -

Brussels sprouts (ideally picked from the garden that morning)

Rich brown gravy

To follow:

Christmas pudding

Brandy butter or hot custard

Ha, Twinky, one of my favorite subjects.......Christmas Dinner.

Our family tradition is to do Christmas Eve here at our house. The menu has been the same as far back as I can remember.

Prime Rib of Roast

Yorkshire Pudding

Mashed potatoes with cream cheese

Buttered carrots

Salad

And this year, we will add mushy peas to the menu. Thank you, dear. And Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. And I will use a dish large enough, wink, wink.

When J and I were first married, his family always had Goose for Christmas Eve, with lotza traditional German dishes I can't think of the name of now. But I came along, and then the kids, and we didn't care for the Goose. We were tired of Turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving, so........we decided to try something a bit more enticing to all. Voila!

Everybody comes to our house, no gifts allowed. I roll the dining room table into the family room and bump it up against the breakfast room table, and we do a sit down formal meal for all. Nice linens, real china, crystal, and J's Grandma's sterling silver. We love it! and it is an occasion not to be missed by the who's who of our family. No matter how many extras show up, we still manage to all sit together. After dinner, one of the kids, whoever feels inspired, reads the "Christmas Story" from the gospel of Luke. Delightful times. :wub:

Well, in a Scandanavian household Christmas Eve dinner was always supposed to be a humble meal.

Like boiled cod and stringbeans and maybe a slice of bread.

Then on Christmas Day you could really pull out all the stops and have rollepulse, gumuloust cheese, and - of course - LUTEFISK.

While I sure miss the family, now that all the Nordic relations have passed on, thank Gawd I don't have to eat any of that crap anymore. Jeezus that stuff is awful...

Ex10, I am coming to your house for Chrissie dinner. (But don't spoil it with the peas.)

George - another time maybe - a long way into the future.

Tom - :biglaugh:

Yes, Dear Twinky, we eat.

When I was growing up my grandmother would always make a seafood repast on Christmas Eve. We had Lobster, and a seafood marinara sauce over Linguine.

The next day we had homemade ravioli, roast beef, salad, and various other foods that I don't remember.

Since living in Texas, there has been no traditional Christmas dinner. I don't like making turkey twice.

This year I asked the girls what they want and the unanimous vote was for.......

Lasagna! So that's what we will have. I'll also make that yummy cranberry salad they love, along with whatever else they request.

For Yule Dinner we have Roast Turkey, Baked Ham, homemade macaroni and cheese (Kraft has nothing on my mac and cheese), Oyster Dressing, Green Bean Casserole, and my Killer Cranberry Sauce. Pies as pralines also.

If anyone is interested in making their own Cranberry Sauce, it's well worth the few minutes it takes.

Killer Cranberry Sauce

1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 navel orange, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 4 cups cranberries, 1/2 cup (2 oz) toasted pecans

Directions:

Grate the orange peel and add to a pot with the sugar and ginger. Add the juice from the orange into the pot and simmer over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries and cook until they pop, about 5 minutes. Add pecans and cool sauce.

WELCOME ARTEMIS!!!

First Cup is always on the house!

med_gallery_452_63_4815.jpg

We always have the standard on Christmas Day: Turkey, Honey Ham, Green Bean Casserole, Squash Casserole, Homemade Rolls, Cornbread Stuffing, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Pumpkin and Pecan Pies. It used to all be made from stuff out of Mama Nina's garden, but since she's passed, we don't have that luxury (or deliciousness) any more.

For the informal gathering the week-end before we take turns hosting the celebration and there is always something different. It's the time to try new things together and we love the tradition of non-tradition. :biglaugh:

you can and should, though I recommend saving some for the relatives. It will make for a much more mellow family gathering. :biglaugh:

I was wondering where you got to? I think we ought to invite the infamous acid man, Mr. Stange, to the paaaty. If the little cutie from texass wants to show up, that would be great too! Provided she shows a little cour age in za kitchen and isn't overly politically correct. :biglaugh:

Other than spiking the relatives drinks for a little extra Christmas cheer, courtesy of 'the Strange One',

let's work on the menu.

Being the 'wanderer' you are, does the family want everything Kosher? I've never been around the dinner scrolls of protocol so to speak. When it comes to that in NYC, I've usually made it to the exit and relaxing at Madison Sq. Garden watching the Christmas game with a bag of peanuts and a beer! :biglaugh:

The grinch had some trouble with his sleigh and I had to bring it in to the shop to have it fixed. The acid man is always welcome! As for the Italian shark from Texas, she can come her as long as she isn't offended by lox.

A Kosher menu? In these parts that's damned near impossible!

Okay, well if we're going to go kosher we have to have bagels and lox - but hmmm then we can't have roast beast because you can't have cream cheese and meat (other than fish) in the same meal. :( WhoHash is still in though, as vegetables are parve. :)

Well if we stick with seafood and wine (lots and lots of wine spiked by the acid man), Manishevitz naturally, then we will be safe - no shellfish though. :(

Oh hell, skip the food and just serve the wine, man!

As for the Italian shark from Texas, she can come here as long as she isn't offended by lox.

Oh hell, skip the food and just serve the wine, man!

Did I ever tell you I made homemade bagels and served them with Lox and creamcheese for my ex's grand dad? :biglaugh:

I'll bring some wine if you bring the Lox...

Been so busy preparing and cooking, haven't had time to post.

Dec 23, "Clan" Christmas Dinner

Rolls

Dressing

Turkey

Giblet Gravy

Cranberry Sauce

CranApple Bake

Salad

Potatoe Casserole

Holiday Sweet Potatoes

Deviled Pea and Asparagus Casserole

Squash Casserole

Lemon Chess Pie

Pecan Pie

Chocolate Pie

Mint Tea

Regular Tea

Dec 24, "Nuclear" Family Christmas Eve Dinner

Roast Beast

Company Potatoes (sorta like twice baked)

Asparagus

Dec 25, "Clan" Brunch and Munch

Clam Dip

Guacamole Dip

Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce

Cheese and Crackers

Garlic Cheese Grit Souffle

Honey Baked Ham

Sandwiches

(and my favorite) Leftovers!

Rest of the week

Leftovers!

Suda (readying her appetite!)

Suda, with that outstanding menu, I hope you are not just readying your appetite but have readied your clothes as well and got in a few pairs of pants a size or two larger. Sounds absolutely wonderful :eusa_clap:.

Right, now I'm off to find some decent veges.

I go where the food is. I get a call as to where the feast is this year.

Beef, Turkey or Ham

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Butternut Squash

Mashed Parsnips (I loathe the dreaded white root)

Peas and Onions (Sorry Twinky, at least they aren't mashed)

Dinner Rolls (Beware the Nephews who eat them in one bite)

Gravy

Cranberry and Orange sauce

Apple Pie

Blueberry Pie

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (Mine, it's all mine)

Coffee

Tea

Soft Drinks

Nap

Games

My family is Welsh, so we have a fairly traditional dinner:

Prime rib roast

Yorkshire pudding

gravy

roasted potatoes

clover-leaf rolls and whole-wheat rolls

veggies (gr beans, broccoli, or something of the sort)

winter squash

salad

steamed plum pudding with lemon sauce

a cabernet, merlot, or other GOOD red wine...

In the AM, we do a brunch with hubby's family, who is Greek. It's everything from cinnamon rolls (the baby's fav) to seafood quiche, feta & crackers, fruit salad, baklava, etc.

(My family is too Anglo for Hubby's family and Hub's family is too Greek for my family, so the twain never meet.)

Edited by ChasUFarley

It's going to be Lutefisk for my guys at the group home.

They all chose it -- and we are ordering it from a local restaurant.

We refuse to cook that *stuff* (ie --- read CRAP) anymore in the house there..

It stinks like you wouldn't believe, and these guys actually eat that *stuff*!!

:unsure: