GreaseSpot Cafe

in bed by midnight

cheranne

I began to see something was wrong with twi when i met my husband at army school. The army was discipline enough but then as a military wow i not only had to be up before i ran two miles ,and do more that anyone by 9am but if i went out with him, i had to be home by midnght,he said okay what will happen if your not! What if this what if that....the first thing i bought when i had money because before when i was in twi i really didn't have much of anything,living out of a suitcase (travel light,i think they meant in the pocketbook!)anyway i got this little tv to watch during guard duty and just couldn't believe how the world had changed in 4 yrs,i felt amish or something. How did YOU feel and what was the first thing you bought fr YOURSELF?

i was really embarrassed when my sister and her boyfriend came to visit me in a college way home

we didn't have a TV

ps. you can't believe how angry i am about that

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

well ..lots of people don't have tv or watch tv and thats okay whatever...but..i didn't know what was going on in the world AT ALL. LIKE I WAS IN A COMA...i have to go watch ELI STONE now....adios amiga

I began to see something was wrong with twi when i met my husband at army school. The army was discipline enough but then as a military wow i not only had to be up before i ran two miles ,and do more that anyone by 9am but if i went out with him, i had to be home by midnght,he said okay what will happen if your not! What if this what if that....the first thing i bought when i had money because before when i was in twi i really didn't have much of anything,living out of a suitcase (travel light,i think they meant in the pocketbook!)anyway i got this little tv to watch during guard duty and just couldn't believe how the world had changed in 4 yrs,i felt amish or something. How did YOU feel and what was the first thing you bought fr YOURSELF?

HaHaHa!

The title really caught my eye.

In Fellow Laborers we always had to be in bed by midnight.

The lights had to be out and there was no talking allowed.

What happened if you violated the rule? Well, there was always the chance you could get kicked out of the program.

Almost nobody had a TV. (or phone, for that matter.)

It wouldn't have mattered anyway because they kept us busy from 5:00 AM until midnight.

We had to work at secular jobs 40 hrs./wk.

I remember people at work talking about this "hot" new show called "Saturday Night Live".

I felt like kind of a ninny because I had no way to watch it so I could be part of the conversation.

Our only real tie with the outside world was listening to the car radio as we traveled.

(not many selections back in 1975.)

I'm still at a loss when music from that period comes up in the conversation.

I guess one of the first things I bought that was for ME was a car with a half way decent radio.

HaHaHa!

The title really caught my eye.

In Fellow Laborers we always had to be in bed by midnight.

The lights had to be out and there was no talking allowed.

What happened if you violated the rule? Well, there was always the chance you could get kicked out of the program.

Almost nobody had a TV. (or phone, for that matter.)

It wouldn't have mattered anyway because they kept us busy from 5:00 AM until midnight.

We had to work at secular jobs 40 hrs./wk.

I remember people at work talking about this "hot" new show called "Saturday Night Live".

I felt like kind of a ninny because I had no way to watch it so I could be part of the conversation.

Our only real tie with the outside world was listening to the car radio as we traveled.

(not many selections back in 1975.)

I'm still at a loss when music from that period comes up in the conversation.

I guess one of the first things I bought that was for ME was a car with a half way decent radio.

what is fellow laborers? We were lucky in okc we got to watch SNL ,It was a by grace thing our branch leader said(how nice)

what is fellow laborers? We were lucky in okc we got to watch SNL ,It was a by grace thing our branch leader said(how nice)

Fellow Laborers was a 2 year "training program" located at/near the limb hq.

The limb leader was the MOG(man of God) who oversaw the program.

I'll have to see if I can find some info on it on some of the threads.

All good little WOW's must be home by midnight.

I totally forgot about that rule. Not that I ever took it too seriously.

I remember at least two nights that I didn't even make it home until morning...kinda missed the curfew.

But, I guess it was okay since I was out drinking (heavily) with the boyfriend of the FC.

We were both so drunk, we passed out in the car and woke up when the sun came up.

Yup, drunk in Cleveland...what a way to spend a WOW year!

Although, the rule did come in handy when I was in a bar...uh, witnessing..and I no longer wanted to talk to someone.

Gotta go...gotta be home by midnight. As I'm typing this, I am just totally laughing...how stupid was that rule?

OMG, I can't believe I ever did that.

We also had a TV on the WOW field. Someone was putting a TV in the curbside trash, I just happened to be driving by,

and I asked them if I could have it, they said yes, so I took it home. Nothing wrong with it, worked fine all year.

I didn't watch it much because I was out drinking and shooting darts.

Basically I didn't have a lot of material stuff when I was with TWI because I was always moving.

I went from the WOW field, to a WOW vet home, to a Way home, to the College Division, then back to my home town.

About nine months after that move, I learned about the adultery and poop paper and I said I'm done with this organization.

A year after I left TWI, I had a new TV, a new bed, new linens, a bunch of new clothes and shoes, a new car, new furniture, and a house.

The moral of the story for me...leave TWI, become prosperous.

Oh, go to bed, will yah?! :biglaugh:

As I'm typing this, I am just totally laughing...how stupid was that rule?

OMG, I can't believe I ever did that.

But really, even though TWI never seemed to protect itself from liability suits by way of smart policies, maybe this was one area where they were trying to keep "the WOWs from getting hurt or into trouble". Statistically, more bad .... happens after midnight, than before midnight. So maybe that was what was behind that rule. I always believed that, and have been willing to accept that at face value...

And so, you all got drunk a time or two?" I did that a coupla' times myself and even ended up stumbling down Hollywood Blvd one time trying to place my hands and feet into guess who's footprints and hand prints? Go on, y'all who know me. Who would Jonny Lingo just love to place his hands and footprints into? Take a guess. I know Groucho would know....

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Yeah, it was wierd getting a tv....Thank God for lot`s of re runs, and the biograghy channel ... I think I have kind of caught up on what happened during the decade or so I was in isolation.

I`d say the most impacting was our computer.

I remember being scornfull of spouse....saying...*yeah..you get one...but I can see no earthly good it will do the REST of the family* :) Three guesses who the biggest user of the puter in the house hold is....lol

Oh, go to bed, will yah?! :biglaugh:

But really, even though TWI never seemed to protect itself from liability suits by way of smart policies, maybe this was one area where they were trying to keep "the WOWs from getting hurt or into trouble". Statistically, more bad .... happens after midnight, than before midnight. So maybe that was what was behind that rule. I always believed that, and have been willing to accept that at face value...

Soundzgood to me. Also, having to be in bed by midnight offsets possible sleep depravation. I believe they had that rule for corps as well ...

I never had much problem with the bed by midnight rule, since I turn into a pumpkin at 11:30.

In FL it was the morning fellowship that got me. Up at 5:00, into running clothes and off to a basement full of sleepy, smelly people, some of whom went right back to sleep on the cold cement floor. Prayer, manifestations, and announcements. Then off for a brisk 8/10 mile run down the road and back. Then breakfast of some unspeakable horror (but organic and nourishing) then get ready and off to work.

Nowadays, I get up at 5:30, get husband off to work, and go right back to sleep in the nice warm sunroom with Meredith, Matt and Al droning in the background.

WG

Soundzgood to me. Also, having to be in bed by midnight offsets possible sleep depravation. I believe they had that rule for corps as well ...

Hmmmmm.

Let's see if I got this right.

Go to bed at midnight(exhausted).

Get back up at 5AM and start all over again.

(So that's 5 hrs. of sleep, providing you zonk out as soon as your head hits the pillow.)

Yep, I can see where that would offset possible sleep deprivation-----NOT!!!

Hmmmmm.

Let's see if I got this right.

Go to bed at midnight(exhausted).

Get back up at 5AM and start all over again.

(So that's 5 hrs. of sleep, providing you zonk out as soon as your head hits the pillow.)

Yep, I can see where that would offset possible sleep deprivation-----NOT!!!

a

yeeah..my wow brother was on a stupid fast drinking that green guk and was so exhausted he fell while going to the bathroom at night and broke his jaw!

Had to get his mouth wired shut! Ofcourse..it was blames on an attack by those "DEBIL "spirits.

I remember something funny that happened. When I was a WOW- I think we had to witness forty hours a week. (But I don't remember how many hours for sure.) My WOW family coord. had us write down how many hours we had accumulated. One week I was two hours short. It was about 9:00 pm on the last night of the week and he was angry I would be two hours short. He told me we needed to go out so I could keep my commitment.

But the problem was, I wasn't felling well and I was exhausted. I didn't think I could stay awake. I tried to tell him this but he told me to renew my mind. So we went out door to door. One man, a jehovah witness let us in. He was very nice to us. We were sitting in his living room talking to him when I fell asleep on his couch. My WOW brother kept shaking me awake. But I would just fall back asleep.

So this man just finally put a blanket on me while he and my WOW brother debated things about God. It was 11:45 when my WOW brother drug me home. He actually thought this guy the jehovah witness was the wierd one. I thought we were wierd for going over there so late and for me falling asleep on the couch of a perfect stranger. But my WOW brother said that what was important was that I had kept my commitment. (I slept through most of it.)

We saw this man again, and he wasn't interested in comming to our twig. What a shock. LOL

In bed by midnight...what a bunch of Horse .......

They did this so that all their little worker bees could have plenty of rest and be ready to perform their 'duties' and not miss out on stringing chairs for their beloved classes, or washing toilets for their beloved leaders!!!

No such thing as staying up late cause you're having any FUN and maybe sleeping in and 'waste' the day away. God Forbid you'd have a day where you might do what YOU would like to do!!!

What did I do when I left twi... I bought myself a decent stereo, bought cds and played my music REAL loud... all day long!!!

In bed by midnight...what a bunch of Horse .......

They did this so that all their little worker bees could have plenty of rest and be ready to perform their 'duties' and not miss out on stringing chairs for their beloved classes, or washing toilets for their beloved leaders!!!

No such thing as staying up late cause you're having any FUN and maybe sleeping in and 'waste' the day away. God Forbid you'd have a day where you might do what YOU would like to do!!!

What did I do when I left twi... I bought myself a decent stereo, bought cds and played my music REAL loud... all day long!!!

stringing chairs omg i rmember that! I can't believe i did that too!

We also had to be up and "in the word" by 7:00 AM. My Wow brother (also the family coord) would occasionally throw open my bedroom door (a room I shared with my WOW sister) to make sure we were really awake. If we had fallen asleep, he would yell at us about our commitment. One morning he threw the door open to catch us and my WOW sister happened to be naked. He was mortified and never tried to catch us again. What a bonehead.

I'd like a citation of these "STATISTICS."

My understanding is that crime goes DOWN from about 1am on into the morning,

and it also goes down on rainy nights.

Criminals don't bother staying up when fewer people are on the street.

I've cheerfully gone about my business all hours of the night, and walked the streets

of NYC at 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am, without problems. It's EARLIER than that that I've

ever had problems on the street.

Forgive me if I take years of my own experience at face value.

We also had to be up and "in the word" by 7:00 AM. My Wow brother (also the family coord) would occasionally throw open my bedroom door (a room I shared with my WOW sister) to make sure we were really awake. If we had fallen asleep, he would yell at us about our commitment. One morning he threw the door open to catch us and my WOW sister happened to be naked. He was mortified and never tried to catch us again. What a bonehead.

You're lucky he wasn't one of the "inner circle" types that learned vpw's "lockbox"...

he probably would have dropped in MORE to try to see nekkid wimmin....

What? you mean you didn't commandeer the limb TV, what else was it good for when no classes were running?

i know. i should have thought of that. no limb leader would waste god's time by sitting around watching tv.

ps. does anyone else in the world string things to line then up ? where did that idea come from ? just curious

i know. i should have thought of that. no limb leader would waste god's time by sitting around watching tv.

ps. does anyone else in the world string things to line then up ? where did that idea come from ? just curious

Yup!

Even now, if I'm in some sort of business meeting or seminar, I find myself wanting to string the chairs and duct tape the extension cords. :asdf:

The desire quickly passes though. :)

I don't know, we had a limb TV in the way home we used it whenever we wanted to no one ever seemed to mind. And if you sleep on the living room floor while watching TV I guess that qualifies for being in bed by midnight. :D

I suspect that the stringing came from a chalk line idea without the mess of chalk all over everything.

I knew a limb coord and his wife who watched a ton of TV. Law and Order, the X-files, and Friends were their favourite. (There were many more in addition to these that they watched) But they really were into the Young and the Restless. The husband once told me that watching this soap together made them closer. He even said he admired the character of Ryan McNeil and had learned things about being a man from him. I'm not kidding.

Yet they were the first to rage on about how others spent their time. I didn't have the time they did to watch TV. But they'd give me an earful about wisely stewerding my time if I wanted to visit with my family on a holiday.

They were both full time paid staff, and they often required us to come over to clean their house and babysit. (For free of course) I worked full time, and ran a twig and attended all those twi meetings but they wanted me to have an "opportunity to give."

The idea for stringing chairs is a symptom of OCD.