GreaseSpot Cafe

How do I find out if a company on the net is good

Dot Matrix

I tried in the name of the company and got nothing

I typed in the name of the product and KNOW it is good -- but buying on the net scares me - ya know

Want to find out if they are legit

Thanks - though

My vaccum fell apart today - the guts fell out

I noticed a big crack across it, makes me wonder what happened to it when I was not home - like maybe he used it in the basement and it fell? It is a mystery

This company has good prices

http://www.factorydirectsuperstore.com/Dys...CFQm4sgod_UluGg

Edited by Dot Matrix

Dot:

I usually check first at Amazon because I know that they are reputable,

and I can compare prices.

Plus, GSC gets a percentage from Amazon when we go through GSC to get to Amazon.

Just one more way for pawtucket to offset some costs.

I did a quick check and Amazon sells the DCO7 for 10 bucks more than the web site you gave a link to.

And, there's some things I don't like about the website you gave:

1. It just doesn't look professional.

2. They don't state prices right up front.

Just my 2 centavos...

Dot-

I googled factorydirectsuperstoreDOTcom (with a . intead of the word dot) and found these.

Pricegrabber- 0 reviews (unusual for a company that has been around awhile)

Then I found 1 review at: http://www.thethingsiwant.com/site/factory...superstore.com/ it was extremely negative

as were the 2 at: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Facto...rect_Superstore

All of these reviews were pretty old, but does not sound too promising. Look around more in google if you want, I only went partway down the first page.

BizRate - for companies that are rated with comments

http://www.bizrate.com/vacuums_accessories...on+vacuums.html

Kaboodle -

I did find a review at this site (must scroll down):

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/dyson-vacu...-factory-direct

I copied it for you:

Attempting to purchase a Dyson vacuum from factorydirectsuperstore.com was the single most horrific consumer experience of my life! They took 3 weeks to send us a broken vacuum (clearly a return)- although they will give you a written guarantee that their products are all new! Then didnt return any calls or emails for another month, then finally we got the broken vacuum sent back and then they didnt send us a replacement or refund us!! After many more weeks of unanswered calls and emails, and finally a threat to file claim with the Atty. General's office, our vacuum showed up, actually appears to be working. wow. The little bit of money we may have saved buying there was NOT WORTH THIS HEADACHE!!!! Not even a LITTLE!!!!!! DON'T BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by dysonowner at 2:37 PM on 12/10/07

Called the company and they are listed as an authorized dealer on Dyson.

I am nervous, I do not have the money and I hate to charge but I have to vaccum with 6 dogs!!! Ya know?

Oh Gosh, I hate spending money I do not have

Oh boy...

Here goes....

SAw your post AFTER I ordered it, crap

WalMart is often cheapest, and the sales tax is offset by the shipping. But there are often better deals on the net ... still, if there is a problem, it is easy to return to WalMart ... I've never bothered with returning something I bought online.

Online can be cheap though ... and even shipping is pretty cheap.

I have ordered from some odd ball companies ... never had a problem. PayPal can offer another layer of protection.

See my computer hangs. So, the last entry I saw was my own, then I was entering the fact that I was going to buy it- when I hit enter here the other posts showed up. It has done that to me for years - must be my firewalls

Anyway, I immediately called the company back and asked them to stop the transaction

Then, I called the bank and they said I would have to let it go through and dispute it -- I said not if I go take the money out.

I had it on a visa debit, then I was going to pay my actual household bill with my visa that is on its way through the mail

CRAP

I am taking the money out of the bank tomorrow and let it hit an empty account they said that will only cost me $22.00

I always got a commercial vaccum after all the normal ones died in a year. The commercial extra strong ones last about 5-10 years. Like an electrolux

Oh rats

I will go withdrawl tomorrow

if you don't refresh the page, or leave the page and return to it, it does not change on your screen. nothing to do with firewall I think, but I am not a techguru so maybe someone else has a better answer.

Anyway, back to you topic. Dot, MOST transactions on the net go thru without a hitch. Even though the only reviews we found were negative, the fact that there were not bunches of them indicates SOMe people were happy. Personally,at this point i wouldn't bother pulling the money out, but that may just be me. If the company stopped the transaction they stopped it, if they didn't, they will send you a vacuum. (Whether it works or not seemed to be the question).

As I said if LOTS of people had been screwed by them, you would have found lots more complaints.

Dot, reviews are strange. I agonized over a small washer/dryer combo by LG. I never heard of LG and the reviews I read were iffy!

But then I realized from re-reading them that the negatives were expecting full size results from a small apartment sized machine. This is only built to do 6 pounds, so if you treat it like a regular machine, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

Long story short, I ordered it, it arrived in 3 days and I couldn't be happier. I certainly empathize with you...it wasn't only $$ but people mocking me that I would have had to endure.....but even THEY had to be quiet. I'll bet you have the same good results I did. People will write a review if they're unhappy - - but are less likely to write a review if all goes well...that's the nature of it.

Here is another, very good source to help determine the professional reputation of a company:

Better Business Bureau

Most companies I come across, I have the BBB site check them out. You can type in the company's name or website, and BBB brings up detailed, relevant information about the firm, including disputes and how well the company settles them.

Hope this helps.

I ususally google the company's name with the keyword "complaints" and see what results I get. As others have mentioned, Amazon (and epinions.com) is an excellent source for seeing product reviews. And just for kicks, I like to visit Jobvent.com and see what workers, ex-workers have to say about their company.

• 2 weeks later...