GreaseSpot Cafe

Botox treatments

RottieGrrrl

Last week when I was getting my hair done, my hairdresser pulled back my bangs, and in the harsh light I saw..GAWK!... these UGLY forehead lines. I swear it seemed they had popped up overnight, like a bad zit. I went home and looked at them in the mirror and it really hit me. Oh my god, I'm getting old. NOOOO!

The next day at work I made an appointment to see a dermatologist, and I went today on my lunch hour for a consultation. I ended up having botox injections right there during my lunch hour. Five little shots in my forehead, for $380.00, which included a 10% discount for having it done the same day as my consultation.

He told me while the Botox would relax the muscles beneath the skin, I would still need a filler, so I am coming back next week to get something called Restylane. That treatment will be around $550.00. It's only temporary, it doesn't last forever, but I figure next BIG Holiday season (like Thanksgiving) when I can have some time off I can go for the lazer treatment for about 1500 dollars.

My boss is nice enough to let me do this during work time, though he teased me a bit about it. I'm just wondering if anyone here can fess up to having some cosmetic treatment or even surgery done. Just being nosey. ;)

Edited by RottieGrrrl

why would I want to do something to erase my character lines? Wisdom is manifest in those lines my mother said. They show who you are and they are distinctly yours. I'll pass on it, thanks. LOL

~HAP (exiting.while ...whistling "your so vain.... betcha think this song is about you..." (its not) teehee

Well good Lord in heaven help me before I ever had as much done as Joan Rivers, though at least she's honest about it. Not that I would ever have the money she has for it either. I'm barely able to justify spending 1000 dollars on this, considering I still need work done on my molars which is more important. But I figure I've spent thousands on Nico for her leg surgeries,(with help from my dear Mom) so what the heck. But come on. There must be some GSr who had SOMETHING done. A Chemical peel, something!

When I got married 30 years ago I told Mr. Garden I wanted a facelift at age 50. I would do it if I had the money. Not extremes, but just sort of a tune-up,not a complete overhaul.

Wasn't there some rich heiress who got so many facelifts her eyes were kind of the sides of her face? And then there's M. Jackson.

Rottiegirl, I think you are doing it in moderation and if it makes you happy, you go girl!

WG

Thanks WG and I agree with you 100%. If I had the money for a mini lift I would do it. But dang cosmetic surgery is expensive and it's not covered by insurance, unless somehow you can convince them you need it done for health reasons I suppose. And as for bad plastic surgeries there are boatloads of them out there. These celebs have so much money it's hard for even a good doc to say "No" even if the doc thinks its a bad idea.

I remember that lady who was jealous of her husbands obsession of cats and got plastic surgery to look like a cat (like tigers, those kind of cats!) Here she is, found a pic. Jocelyn-Wildenstein.JPG Her name is Jocelyn-Wildenstein and from what I hear the plan backfired. Eeek!

I have to agree with you George. I understand wanting to look good. I do what I can to look my best, via exercise, make-up, clothing, etc. But I think it says something sad about our society when women feel compelled to go to such lengths as botox injections and surgery to look younger.

On one hand, I hate my wrinkles around my eyes, I am as human and female as the next girl. On the other hand, I figure I earned them! Besides, most of them are from smiling. :biglaugh:

I've read up on Botox, it's been around for a long time. Anything abused is not good, but done in moderation it is totally safe. I don't know if this is as much "looking younger" (although nothing wrong with that) than to just get rid of these dang forehead lines. It's bothering ME. The only reason I never looked into it earlier was I felt I couldn't afford it, and had more pressing things to spend my money on. Which is still true, but a little splurge won't kill me.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Rottie Girl, do what makes you happy, this is a preference choice, if you live in a major city like LA or NYC, this kind of thing is so common it's laughable.  I think its great there are more affordable options 

for people who want a less invasive procedure than face lift SURGERY.

What's interesting is that there is now a whole industry abroad that caters to Western men and women who want to have cosmetic surgery, which isn't usually covered by insurance, at a great savings, it's even got a name, it's called medical tourism.  You pay pennies on the dollar to have procedures done, breast reconstruction and implants, nose jobs, face lifts, etc, by Md's, many of which were trained in the USA or UK.

Here's a CNN link:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/02/magazines/....biz2/index.htm

I have a seriously drooping eyelid I want to fix, but it's not "medical" yet - - -that has to be occluding the pupil by more than 25%. It's one of those congenital things....when I was a kid and really tired it would droop but not this bad.

I don't think I would do botox or that kind of thing, though, and my boobs are sacred - - they shall not be outsourced!

I'm editing to say that although nothing I have will be outsourced.....I forgot all about liposuction being cosmetic! Now I wish I could afford cosmetic surgery.....sigh..............

Edited by krysilis

Krys a friend of mine, has the same problem you described, had me ask about this when I saw the dermatologist. That would be a plastic surgeons job (I don't think an injection would help) and it probably would be an outpatient procedure, but I know what you mean, nothing is cheap, and it would be better if you could get your insurance to cover it.

Not that I could't benefit from a boob job, but I suppose that is where I would draw the line. Unless I needed it for reconstructive purposes. But the idea of cutting into my body and inserting gel filled sacs sounds dangerous to me, and the long term health risks would be questionable.

Besides I like being able to save money on bras and the like!

I have a seriously drooping eyelid I want to fix, but it's not "medical" yet - - -that has to be occluding the pupil by more than 25%. It's one of those congenital things....when I was a kid and really tired it would droop but not this bad.

I don't think I would do botox or that kind of thing, though,

Since botox kills muscles, about all you could do would get the other eyelid to be equally droopy! Botox, like strychnine before it, is useful for eliminating facial tics. Unless you look like Pruneface from the old Dick Tracy strip, though, it seems a bit much to me to use it to relive wrinkling.

Now, back to those sacred boobs... ;)

George

George I don't think it KILLS muscles it just stops you from using them. And it is temporary. It does nothing to fill in creases already made by facial expressions and that is where the filler comes in, like Restylane. Although I can already notice someone of a difference, my creases have "flattened" out a bit.

True, it doesn't actually kill muscles. It's a neurotoxin that keeps the nerves that energize the muscle from firing. Muscle atrophy occurs because of disuse. I have no idea how long-lasting the effects are. How often are you supposed to shell out the big bucks for this treatment?

George

George the doc said about 3 times a year. Actually the more you do it, the less you need. I'm thinking seriously about the lazer surgery though, that could be part of my Christmas bonus. That's about 1500 dollars for one agressive treatment, or 350 dollars for 10-12 treatments. The 1500 dollars would be cheaper, obviously, but you need a few days downtime. Cause he said I would be all bloody and gooey.