GreaseSpot Cafe

Stop Global Warming ?

rhino

What needs to be done?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What action should be mandated by the US government?

• Tax CO2 emitters heavily ... at any cost, try to stop the man made warming
    • Tax CO2 emitters lightly ... don't break the economy
    • Tax CO2 emitters ...to encourage clean alternatives .. it wouldn't change much
    • Tax CO2 emitters ... if the rest of the world does the same
    • No CO2 taxes .... man is a small part of the problem
    • No CO2 taxes ... a couple degrees warmer hurts nothing
    • No CO2 taxes ... this is only more money for the politically connected
    • No CO2 taxes ... CO2 is not the problem
    • No CO2 taxes ... warming is not a real problem
    • No CO2 taxes ... it would make us less competitive globally

Choose as many choices as you think fit ...

there is a bill currently up that would "tax" industry that produces more CO2. I wonder what the general opinion is here about global warming. Passing this bill would raise some prices ... some call it a six trillion dollar tax that would do nothing ... some say it would help push ahead new innovations and slow or stop warming ...

Here is the yahoo link ... but I'm mostly curious how the average greasespotter feels about man and global warming. Sorry if I left out some good thoughts ...

What are they gonna do with me? - - - - I emit CO2 also!

So - - we've finally come to the place where "they" tax the air we breathe....not on the way in....but on the way out....based on how much of that awful gas is in it. We shall all pay, but some of us shall pay more than others depending.....

-sigh-

Last year saw a global drop in temperature of nearly 0.7c, the largest single-year movement since global temperature averages have been calculated. Rajendra Pachauri, head of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, reluctantly admitted that there has been no global warming so far in the 21st century.

Read the whole article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/env....html?id=525590

Also note that the old term Global Warming is being slowly replaced with the new, non-committal term Climate Change.

What are they gonna do with me? - - - - I emit CO2 also!

So - - we've finally come to the place where "they" tax the air we breathe....not on the way in....but on the way out....based on how much of that awful gas is in it. We shall all pay, but some of us shall pay more than others depending.....

I did see a site that estimated how long you should live, based on when you emitted your full share of CO2. (or various carbon emissions)

If they could enforce that, it would probably solve the social security crisis. :spy:

Rhino- a very "oddly" worded poll, called in the business as a "PUSH POLL". It is designed to elicit results which wrongly interpret the real positions of the people who participate. "Pushing" them to a response that does not represent their real view.

Sorry, I am not going to pull the lever and would recommend others to use caution if they wish to contribute. If I were to vote, none of the answers accurately reflect my view, and I would have concerns as to how you would later use the results to proclaim a poll result that misrepresents the actual diverse views on the subject held by Spotters.

good luck with it, maybe others will be fooled into punching a chad or two, but the results will still in my opinion be bogus because of the slanted questions themselves. Don't feel bad, I pretty much always refuse to participate in push polls by any organization for the same reason.

~HAP

Rhino- a very "oddly" worded poll, called in the business as a "PUSH POLL". It is designed to elicit results which wrongly interpret the real positions of the people who participate. "Pushing" them to a response that does not represent their real view.

Are you in the business ... ? Yes, I know what a push poll is .. you could have stated what you thought, or what other choices there were. Instead of just warning people they are being tricked ... :confused:

You either think we should tax or not. Either a lot or a little .. or some because it would help.

then a bunch of possible reasons not to tax.

What am I pushing,n your opnon?

Sorry, I am not going to pull the lever and would recommend others to use caution if they wish to contribute. If I were to vote, none of the answers accurately reflect my view, and I would have concerns as to how you would later use the results to proclaim a poll result that misrepresents the actual diverse views on the subject held by Spotters.

good luck with it, maybe others will be fooled into punching a chad or two, but the results will still in my opinion be bogus because of the slanted questions themselves. Don't feel bad, I pretty much always refuse to participate in push polls by any organization for the same reason.

~HAP

Well, of course ther ARE other possible points of view, like

"Who cares if CO2 is a problem? Tax them anyway!"

But I think Rhino gave a fairly broad spectrum of opinions, both for or against a CO2 tax.

Consider this a "PULL" question: do you believe taxation is appropriate as a means to get global warming under control? Why or why not?

George

he states he wants to find how Spotters feel about man and global warming. BUT the poll only deals with tax or not tax, and ALL the not tax options claim that GW is not a serious man contributed problem. He also ONLY presents the CO2 aspects or not. this is NOT a poll to find how we "feel" about man and warming (as he stated). Nope, I'm not gonna vote.

he states he wants to find how Spotters feel about man and global warming. BUT the poll only deals with tax or not tax, and ALL the not tax options claim that GW is not a serious man contributed problem. He also ONLY presents the CO2 aspects or not.

The tax is the current issue ... and questions on that tell me something about how people feel ...

But it is true ... I didn't give an option to say man made CO2 is the cause and it is a problem, but the government should not get involved.

That is an unusual case I would think, but it is still not a push poll, because I am not designing it to push anything. This seemed like a straight forward way to read how people really feel. I still think it is.

But anyone that feels wronged or tricked ... they can boycott ... I'm thinking Hap is a little paranoid.

this is NOT a poll to find how we "feel" about man and warming (as he stated). Nope, I'm not gonna vote.

Yes it is to find out what people think about global warming. Will they pay more taxes (or higher prices) to do something to stop the man made part ... or does that seem unreasonable?

Now Hap is a mind reader ... well, no he is not .. because he is wrong. It is a pretty simple poll, I have no idea what I might achieve by leaving out a couple options, except make the poll simpler.

Edited by rhino

Not sure how to answer the poll yet, but I just read a headline on Yahoo news this morning that said chicks dig guys w/ alternative fuel cars moreso than guys with sports cars...Where can I buy one cheap?....

Just buy one of those yellow E-85 gas caps ... or maybe just stick an electric plug on the truck somewhere.

though that sounds like a tricky way to get you to buy an alternative fuel vehicle. I think women like those old trucks ... especially if your other vehicle is a big Mercedes.

Maybe we need another poll .... the song says "I think your tractor's SEXY" ... which one woman told me ... but then she said she was just kidding ... :( (she asked me what my other vehicle was ... I said "what other vehicle?")

:biglaugh:

Man ... Cubbies lookin good for nine in a row

hi rhino!

i'm not sure why some folks seem to be having a problem with your poll...

seems pretty straightforward to me...

the question is: to tax or not to tax?

of course it makes sense to talk about CO2 taxation...

since CO2 taxation is what was discussed at the UN conference in bali last year...

and you are referencing a CO2 tax bill that is currently being discussed in the senate...

how does taxing people stop the climate from changing?!? :confused:

but i can see the dollar signs in their eyes...

anyway, you probably already know how i feel about this issue... LOL

(see ron g's thread)

i want nothing to do with this goofy religion and its global control...

peace,

jen-o

~HAP

I agree with this completely. The poll makes no sense whatsoever with regard to stopping man made effects on the climate. Personally, I'm not in favor of taxes, and it sounds like a very Republican idea.

Of course, this also goes to what my complaints are about in Ron's thread, and how Ron and rhino keep trying to turn the Open forum on this site into an extension of the political forum.

I agree with this completely. The poll makes no sense whatsoever with regard to stopping man made effects on the climate. Personally, I'm not in favor of taxes, and it sounds like a very Republican idea.

Of course, this also goes to what my complaints are about in Ron's thread, and how Ron and rhino keep trying to turn the Open forum on this site into an extension of the political forum.

Actually p-mosh ... in Ron's Jupiter thread you claimed that your belief was "mainstream" ... so that made me wonder if it was mainstream here. I don't believe this bill is a Republican idea ... Bush promised a veto .. but McCain and Obama both are in favor, so this should not be a real big politics issue.

I'm not sure why you say the poll makes no sense ... this is the solution Washington is coming up with ... how do you stop CO2 production if the government is not involved?

I should have included ... "No tax, man made CO2 is a problem, but the government should not try to stop it" or some such. It seemed clear to me that if you believed man made CO2 is destroying the planet, you would want our government to in some way tax it to prevent it, so I didn't think of that.

Though it does seem many companies have voluntarily acted to reduce their "carbon footprint", partly for PR reasons. But they are also largely moved by fear that if they do not act, some draconian laws will be passed, like what is proposed now.

Im not a scientist, but I am 53 years old and I can tell you that they climate has changed in my lifetime.

When I was 3, 4,5,9 one of my grandmothers sayings was "April showers bring May flowers". It always rained through April and cleared up iby early May--that was 40+ years ago...well its June now and its still rainin like hell here and every year it gets later and later....

The patterns of winters and other things have changed as well..

Its certainly not catastrophic but it isnt what it used to be either-you dont have to be a scientist to see that where I am

Is it manmade? Is it dangerous to our future? I couldnt tell you, it could be all natural cycles for all I know, but observation says it is happening.

If the government wants to offer tax incentives to companies that develop new technologies for vehicles that get 50 -60-70 mpg by burning fuel more efficiently, or work on processing and developing alternative fuels, which they definitely could do if motivated, or ?? who knows what they could come up with,I'd be in favor of it.

If only for the reason that I'm highly in favor of clean air and clean water and responsible and efficient use of resources

17%in CO2reduction in 12 years doesnt sound all that stunning to achieve --especially since were able to put a man on the moon in 8

Edited by mstar1

The poll makes no sense whatsoever with regard to stopping man made effects on the climate.
mister p-mosh, it's not the poll that makes no sense...

it's the UN and governmental agencies around the world which have come up with this "solution" to tax CO2 emitters...

then again, their real goal is to redistribute the world's wealth... so i guess it does make sense with regard to that goal...

peace,

jen-o

Edited by jen-o

Assuming there is such a thing as *global warming*;

and assuming it is caused by man burning fossil fuels;

I suggest the following solution to the predicament.

Tell all those high living liberals who fly all around the world in their private jets,

to park the damn things, and get a bicycle instead!!

I'm REALLY getting tired of others telling ME what to do,'

and then the know-it-all-fugg-tards doing the opposite of what they preach.

Can I call them docvic, and get away with it?? Same thing, eh???

Preach one thing. Practice another. Nothing new under the sun.