GreaseSpot Cafe

"Losing the Way" by Kristen Skedgell

Abigail

yeah, solstice comes before christmas, so if we open our presents on solstice we have more time to play with them during the kids' winter break!

the real reviews of the book come across as more sincere, by people who actually read the book and weren't just writing a knee-jerk twi-programmed response to someone saying bad things about their "ministry", so I think the average joe isn't going to be fooled by them. I just really loved how easy they made themselves to spot by peppering their reviews with wayspeak.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting that there are twi innies who are checking out this book...it seems that their cult has become so small that they are probably enthralled that anyone even mentions them at all...they rally together to criticize the book only because there's no one else talking about them anymore... :biglaugh:

...I can hear it now..."it's an attack of the adversary! Get the Yak twig together!"... :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

• Upvote 1

It's interesting that there are twi innies who are checking out this book...

...and I don't think you will see favorable reviews from any of them. The ones who are stirred by Kristen's testimony and don't reject it have a lot of thinking and reflection to do...but even though we don't hear from them right away, maybe it is possible that some are being moved. Just a hopeful thought.

a close friend and i were just talking not an hour ago about young ladies we knew who thought they were the only one privileged to be spiritually taking care of the man of god until going to see him and bless him and finding him blessing someone else. how gross now, of course. but one would probably have to try and understand the mind and the past etc. of a person at the time.

i haven't gotten kris's book yet. i just don't know if i want to re-live my hell right now

• Upvote 1

Amazon - "Rita" had a classic review. She points out that the cover of the book isn't "accurate" by Way standards and just goes to show you how the book is full of lies and mistruths.

Anyone who misses the point of something that much may not actually be able to read.

I browsed the Amazon reviews at large to see how many of the 1,000's of reviews that have been posted there make comment on the covers of the books being reviewed , and provide an evaluation of the cover in regards to the content of the books.

I think "Rita" may have a Way Rozcar statuette coming to him - this seems to be a "first". I'd add a laughing face-guy if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Likewise the contention -

"(she) only describes the situations that make her a victim when it is convenient for her".

The clear message in that is - hey, you did it, you were complicit, you have no right to come back later and complain.

Proving once again, Wayfers are a hard nosed, stiff necked bunch who can't see the forest for the trees.

It's hardly worth discussing, really. Thankfully we're free to express our opinions and when we do, we see those like "Rev." McKeon and "Rita". You can smell it - something's up. They make a better case for the book than anyone else.

It may not just be "Innies" posting such reviews. I have seen posts here that reflect such reasoning by people who have claimed not to have read the book.

It could be people out of TWI but who are still into VP and TWI doctrine.

• Upvote 1

I'm using the term "Wayfers" loosely geisha, and perhaps a bit too loosely. As you say, there's a lot of people in the "ex" category who would probably be fully active members of the Way if something hadn't happened to make them unacceptable to the Way, or vice versa. In that regard whatever it was is considered a valid reason. Other reasons that other people have had may not be so valid to them however. C'est la vie. Human nature.

The McKeon voice has been heard here. cmckeon claimed to not be an active member of the Way. The broken syntax is recognizable though. Could be the same for "Rita". Who knows.

<snip>The McKeon voice has been heard here. cmckeon claimed to not be an active member of the Way. The broken syntax is recognizable though. Could be the same for "Rita". Who knows.

OH YEAH! I'd forgotten about that little sh!t. what do you know.

• Upvote 1

That's the one potato. ck is on the case, it seems. :rolleyes:

There's a ck the elder, and the younger. I think I have the name right, hope so. The poster here claimed to be the offspring of a former member of the Way, and if memory serves the younger may have been himself at one time, I guess by virtue of being in the family, dunno, it was never quite clear exactly what was going on. The "Rev." may be the parent, or the child, dunno. Either way, they're grammar's the same. It always appeared partly a scam, so the point could be moot.

To get a refresher on ck, try THIS illuminating doctrinal treatise.

Not to digress into off topic discussion on "ck", but a simple review of the words written by that poster will put that Amazon review into context. Not that it matters, it has no effect on Kristen's book or account, at all.

Nothing written on Amazon by either of those people has anything to do with what's actually written in her book, so it's really not a review as much as it is an opinion but not of the material in the book - nothing's noted specifically as being true or untrue, nothing specific challenged and no alternate version or explanation of "the truth" is given in opposition to what's written. It's simply stated that it's not true and fiction.

Typical.

I'm gonna pass on clicking the link because I remember ck too well now, but I encourage newcomers to do so. ck's writing is a good example of what happens to your brain when you make a man into a god.

anyway, ck's "reviews" have been appropriately commented on, so I doubt anyone looking at buying the book would take them very seriously.

• Upvote 1

I have noted this more than once on this thread, but it bears repeating in view of the mention of these reviews which question Kristen's memory. Being also in residence in the 8th corps at Emporia as she was helpd a lot when I read her account. Though I was not sexually abused, it is the several things she mentions that took place during that year that I also remember that helped me to live her experience.

And nobody had better doubt my memory...Dunno if my first corps roomie remembers, but he was raving over it after a certain recitation...

Yea, Excie, she re-lived her hell. It had to be a difficult thing to do; yet somehow, with the help of others, it evidently has been a healing experience for her (as she discussed in her second interview with Paw).

Edited by Lifted Up

That's what ticks me off, Lifted Up - the criticism that it's been too long and it's too late to register a complaint and tell ones own side of the story. You were around, you can speak to the times and places.

If the question these hairpins ask is - Why so long to tell it?

The answer's simple - Because that's how long it took before she was ready to tell it. Get over it, read it, ignore it but geez - these people don't seem to understand they end up with egg on their face and worse in their pants when they show such low IQ and HQ.

The answer's simple to understand unless someone's an idiot or just a jerk. Either way most others will realize that a person's account of events yesterday or 30 years ago deserves to be heard.

That's what ticks me off, Lifted Up - the criticism that it's been too long and it's too late to register a complaint and tell ones own side of the story. You were around, you can speak to the times and places.

<snip>

seriously, using the same logic we can pronounce mrs. wierwille's book a work of fiction because she was recounting things a hell of a lot longer ago and she was quite elderly when she was writing it. obviously it can't be true!

• Upvote 1

seriously, using the same logic we can pronounce mrs. wierwille's book a work of fiction because she was recounting things a hell of a lot longer ago and she was quite elderly when she was writing it. obviously it can't be true!

Published in 1996, Mrs. Wierwille's book was strategically sanitized for twi's cult-consumption...........and even then, several "gems of understanding" slipped thru the filtering to disclose major flaws in documenting mr. wierwille as the man of God with new light.

• Upvote 1

Published in 1996, Mrs. Wierwille's book was strategically sanitized for twi's cult-consumption...........and even then, several "gems of understanding" slipped thru the filtering to disclose major flaws in documenting mr. wierwille as the man of God with new light.

ok ok, so we'll say it's a work of fiction based on a true story with all the "negative" parts left out, unlike Kristin's book :biglaugh:

seriously though, my point was they can't have it both ways.

• Upvote 1

yea, and there's another thing about remembering. You know how even we old folks can remember exactly what we were doing and where we were when something very traumatic happened...reference the "45 years ago" thread about the JFK assasination. There's not much in the world more traumatic than what happened to Kristen (and some others). One point of my previous post is really that, when I know from my own experience how well she remembered some of those details she recalls in her account about the day to day things that took place that year at Emporia, it establishes the certainty in my mind that the last thing her account of abuse could suffer from is fuzzy memory.

If the question these hairpins ask is - Why so long to tell it?

The answer's simple - Because that's how long it took before she was ready to tell it. Get over it, read it, ignore it but geez - these people don't seem to understand they end up with egg on their face and worse in their pants when they show such low IQ and HQ.

At first I thought Excie was just doing a nice thing when she acknowledged my deprogramming as abuse. But, when I thought about it some, I realized that, probably unintentionally, she helped me understand more what you said above. Geez, I was clammed up about that event for so many years, trying to pretend it didn't happen. I couldn't, wouldn't, talk about it with anyone.

I just noticed some of this "review" stuff has spilled over into Kris' blog. The writer seemed compelled to write a disclaimer first to deny his life and faith was being dictated by TWI before blaming Kris herself for the abuse that she suffered.

I can think of some interesting ways to answer this, but I do not think Kris' blog should be used as a battleground, at least I don't think she would want that. Besides, I have already given my support elsewhere on her blog.

At first I thought Excie was just doing a nice thing when she acknowledged my deprogramming as abuse. But, when I thought about it some, I realized that, probably unintentionally, she helped me understand more what you said above. Geez, I was clammed up about that event for so many years, trying to pretend it didn't happen. I couldn't, wouldn't, talk about it with anyone.

thank you

• Upvote 1