GreaseSpot Cafe

I had a heart attack!

washn'wear

Rocky,

You've done everything right. But you still had a heart attack. Tim Russert spooked everybody because he was doing everything right too. I would suggest you look at what Rejoice posted here and on the weight loss thread. Carbs are killers if you aren't an Olympic champion needing them for endurance and happen to be a high Insulin secreter, IMO.

We'd like to keep you around here for a bit longer Rocky. I REALLY suggest your taking another look at your eating all that pasta and carbs. I know I know.. you can get get lots of experts backing both sides but consider this... you were doing what you were supposed to be doing and it didn't work. Why not give a little consideration to what all beens posted on the weight loss thread? Or not... just a suggestion.

sudo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks WB and everyone.

Sudo - I was recommended the DASH Diet in general discharge paperwork...looked through it, and the AHA cookbook and hve them both now.

I am pretty concerned about hat I eat know but I was before too.

my cholesteral was 198, LDL was 100, triglicerides were a little - I went back and looked the paper.

I did like carbs, but both these menu plans and cookbooks limit them and DASH has you only ealing complex in smaller amounts.

I am leary of high protein mostly - my Dad did the Eades Protien Pwer and ended up needing a 4-bypas..and stokes form clogs.

To be honest, my favorite idea is what I read from the 7th Day Adventists from Loma Linda's Hopsital. I am just not big on no meat...but they come as a community that has th longest life span next to Sicilians and a place in Japan. (I think thats where the other 2 are)

Rocky,

You've done everything right. But you still had a heart attack. Tim Russert spooked everybody because he was doing everything right too. I would suggest you look at what Rejoice posted here and on the weight loss thread. Carbs are killers if you aren't an Olympic champion needing them for endurance and happen to be a high Insulin secreter, IMO.

We'd like to keep you around here for a bit longer Rocky. I REALLY suggest your taking another look at your eating all that pasta and carbs. I know I know.. you can get get lots of experts backing both sides but consider this... you were doing what you were supposed to be doing and it didn't work. Why not give a little consideration to what all beens posted on the weight loss thread? Or not... just a suggestion.

sudo

On the contrary, Doc... I was doing what I was supposed to be doing and it WORKED.

I had the heart attack (primarily) because of one risk factor that I have NO control over -- family history.

The controllables are responsible for the fact that there was no damage (or minimal at most) to the heart and that I had no chest pain or any other significant symptoms. The fact that I had been working out and then paid attention to the warning signals is -- along with the wonderful doctors and nurses and current medical technology -- is the HOW and WHY I did NOT die.

I would respect your work as a dentist, but it appears you took a lesson from that republican doctor/senator (now no longer in office) that thought he could diagnose Terry Schiavo without examining her. I don't accept your diagnosis, thank you.

Russert didn't heed the warning signs. Russert also lived a high stress life.

I did heed the warning and have forsaken high stress lifestyles (long ago).

and I already had lost 90 lbs...

Hi I never met you before but I wish you well and good health in the future.

I have been a diabetic since 1963 and when I was 48 years old I had a heart attack ( Diabetics are high risk for heart attacks)

I was not as fortunate as you in that I had to have Quintuple Bypass Surgery

I had a great surgeon and recovered as well as could be expected.

I am now looking forward to many more years and I do intend to start swimming again soon ( as soon I I locate a good pool, Lol)

I also am on Metoprolol ( to help keep my hearts blood vessels open) aspirin ( to help prevent blood clots) and Lovastatin ( to help keep the cholesterol level down) and a few others I wont mention....

The one thing I didntr see you mention was to be on a Cardiac Diet. It is a super low fat diet to help keep your heart vessels from blocking up again.

Although you should get some advice from a Dietician, I can make the following suggestions....

Keep each meal to a maxc of 2 grams of saturated fat ( you can read the back of TV dinners for this info)

Drink Fat Free or 1% fat milk ( not whole milk)

Eat "Egg Beaters" ( not whole eggs) they are almost cholesterol free

Use a fat free or almost fat free margarine ( NOT butter)

Steer clear of Bacon, fatty beef, and pork chops ( choose low fat fish or chicken instead, Turkey is also great as a low fat meat)

The main thing is to ask your doctor or a dietician about going on a Cardiac Diet officially. If I could go back in time I would have been on a Cardiac Diet since the age of 15! ( Instead of gorging on McDonalds, Burger King, and Taco Bell ....ahhhh CHEEESE!)

Ok ..... dats it, just a suggestion from a fellow Heart Attack Vet ( HAV?)

Edited by Steveo

The one thing I didntr see you mention was to be on a Cardiac Diet. It is a super low fat diet to help keep your heart vessels from blocking up again.

Although you should get some advice from a Dietician, I can make the following suggestions....

Keep each meal to a maxc of 2 grams of saturated fat ( you can read the back of TV dinners for this info)

Drink Fat Free or 1% fat milk ( not whole milk)

Eat "Egg Beaters" ( not whole eggs) they are almost cholesterol free

Use a fat free or almost fat free margarine ( NOT butter)

Steer clear of Bacon, fatty beef, and pork chops ( choose low fat fish or chicken instead, Turkey is also great as a low fat meat)

The main thing is to ask your doctor or a dietician about going on a Cardiac Diet officially. If I could go back in time I would have been on a Cardiac Diet since the age of 15! ( Instead of gorging on McDonalds, Burger King, and Taco Bell ....ahhhh CHEEESE!)

Ok ..... dats it, just a suggestion from a fellow Heart Attack Vet ( HAV?)

Thanks Steveo... I've been getting info from dieticians/nutritionists for a couple of years. Indeed, I already recognize the virtue of your insights on dietary matters...

Indeed, I gave up (most) beef when my brother died about 16 years ago... he was an avid steak lover. His high blood levels of iron contributed to his heart disease. Of course, I stay away from most of that stuff you suggested and do prefer chicken and turkey... use skim milk and egg beaters... etc.

Thanks for your insight. I agree. :) and wish you a long, healthy and prosperous life.

I've been cleared to go back to the gym (to resume exercising)!!!

:eusa_clap::dance:

I had a GREAT workout. 34 minutes of aerobic/cardio and a lighter than I previously had been doing weight lifting session.

My breathing was SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than before and recovery after the workout SOOOOOOO much quicker!

I am PSYCHED. :)

Yeah for you!!!

i went to cardiac rehab yesterday..did a big intake kind of exam. Hooked up to everyhting. I was good for most stuff, but walking faster than 2.5 mph scared me. I wasn't giving it a hard or very hard...just didn't want to go faster..I do have fear of feeling all that again I guess. They are great where I am going and I am confident I will work through it.

Yeah for you!!!

i went to cardiac rehab yesterday..did a big intake kind of exam. Hooked up to everyhting. I was good for most stuff, but walking faster than 2.5 mph scared me. I wasn't giving it a hard or very hard...just didn't want to go faster..I do have fear of feeling all that again I guess. They are great where I am going and I am confident I will work through it.

And good (great) for you too!!! :eusa_clap:

I'll probably get to go to cardiac rehab, but the exercise habits the same KT folks (kinesiotherapy) showed me actually got me started 3 or so years ago... so, I'm in amazingly good shape fitness wise, for someone who just had a myocardial infarction... if I didn't already know what to do and how much I could take, I'd feel the very same things that you did.

You're going to be fine! :dance:

Edited by Rocky

I've been cleared to go back to the gym (to resume exercising)!!!

:eusa_clap::dance:

I had a myocardial infarction (a heart attack) in April of last year, due to two arterial blockages (one 80% and one 99%). I had a heart attack coming to me, due to my having gained 55 pounds after quitting smoking, due to my not exercising, and due to my having untreated triglyceride levels that were far beyond being merely “high.” Fortunately, the heart attack occurred when I was at home, where I was less than 15 minutes from a hospital where a first class cardiologist extracted a blood clot, inserted two arterial stents, and dispatched me with minimal heart damage from the cath lab.

Some comments on exercise:

The cardiac rehab folks set a specific heart-rate workout range for me, and, after monitoring my heart data during exercise, increased the range in several increments over a period of weeks. Exercise at too slow a heart rate reportedly doesn’t get results, while exercise at too fast a rate yields a risk of falling into the abyss of cardiac arrest. Supposedly, even with minimal heart damage, parts of the heart can go into “hibernation” for some time after an MI. That might have something to do with the protocol of taking some time to bring up the pace and the endurance.

IMO, a heart-rate monitor is nearly a must-have for exercise. The stopping-occasionally-and-checking-your-pulse-while-exercising routine is too occasional, too haphazard. The monitor I use is one by Polar. It has a transmitter unit that goes on as a strap around the chest, and a receiver that looks like a cheap wristwatch. Polar’s chest-strap transmitter also broadcasts to displays on some treadmills that are equipped to receive Polar signals.

http://www.polarusa.com

http://www.polarusa.com/Products/fseries/f...sp?cat=consumer

I had a myocardial infarction (a heart attack) in April of last year, due to two arterial blockages (one 80% and one 99%). I had a heart attack coming to me, due to my having gained 55 pounds after quitting smoking, due to my not exercising, and due to my having untreated triglyceride levels that were far beyond being merely "high." Fortunately, the heart attack occurred when I was at home, where I was less than 15 minutes from a hospital where a first class cardiologist extracted a blood clot, inserted two arterial stents, and dispatched me with minimal heart damage from the cath lab.

Some comments on exercise:

The cardiac rehab folks set a specific heart-rate workout range for me, and, after monitoring my heart data during exercise, increased the range in several increments over a period of weeks. Exercise at too slow a heart rate reportedly doesn't get results, while exercise at too fast a rate yields a risk of falling into the abyss of cardiac arrest. Supposedly, even with minimal heart damage, parts of the heart can go into "hibernation" for some time after an MI. That might have something to do with the protocol of taking some time to bring up the pace and the endurance.

IMO, a heart-rate monitor is nearly a must-have for exercise. The stopping-occasionally-and-checking-your-pulse-while-exercising routine is too occasional, too haphazard. The monitor I use is one by Polar. It has a transmitter unit that goes on as a strap around the chest, and a receiver that looks like a cheap wristwatch. Polar's chest-strap transmitter also broadcasts to displays on some treadmills that are equipped to receive Polar signals.

http://www.polarusa.com

http://www.polarusa.com/Products/fseries/f...sp?cat=consumer

Indeed, each piece of equipment I use for cardio has a heart rate monitor... I am aware of those issues. I've also seen people using that Polar chest strap, so I know what you're talking about...

Before and after stent placement:

great pics... I have the before and after but don't have a way to convert them to a .pdf... I do have them posted on the other website...

Wot, you mean you guys aren't believing for instant healing...!!!?????

(LOL)

Glad you're recovering and are able to share stuff on this thread that might alert others or help them avoid problems in the future.

Like others, I echo that it's great you can tell us your stories, and that we don't have to read about them.

Long life to all who read this. :dance:

I spent 4 days in the VA medical center last month, with an IV in my arm taking in a strong anti-thrombolytic drug... about 10 days after I got out, I went to a different hospital (but the same intervention cardiologist) for the stent procedure.

Today, I received a bill/statement from the other hospital... it ALMOST gave me another coronary! :blink:

The statement said I owed this other hospital, for the procedure, for which I was there for a grand total of THREE hours, $40,942.63.

American dollars. How freaking outrageous. So, needless to say, I called this hospital to say/ask WTF!!!

They calmly said not to worry about it, the VA is going to pay for the procedure... Then I said I couldn't believe the VA was going to pay anywhere near $41,000. They said, no, of course not... the VA will only pay about $6,100.

The moral of the story?

Stop smoking.

Lose weight (if you are overweight or worse).

Exercise.

Eat healthy food.

We're NOT 20 years old anymore.

ALL of those things (or each of them) cost FAR LESS than being billed $41K for a three hour session ... and bypass surgery would naturally be MUCH more invasive to your body and your wallet... especially if you don't have medical/health insurance coverage.

Wow, Wash n Wear, I'm glad you caught it in time, also and that you are still with us! And you too, Rocky!

You two have my attention! There's a history of congestive heart failure in my family, I'm overweight abd i don't excersize. Depending on what I've been into reading lately, I eat healthy, but not always. And I have pains in my back between the shoulder blades-- a lot. And the stress we're under--well, I'm not going there right now.

Only reason i haven't checked it out is no health insurance-- and right now we can't even pay the regular bills. But I'm going to find out if there are some programs in place somewhere that could get me into some place where i can be tested!

For those with heart problems and circulation problems google cayenne pepper.

I was plagued with my first vericose vein in highschool. I have been an athlete all my life. Track and field, swimming, softball, running. It was determined in my late 40's that the artery in my legs tapered off, i. e. they were not "normal" size. I had tests because even though I ran 5 miles 3 times a week and lifted weights 3 times a week my feet would go numb just minutes after sitting in the car.

So I cut out all protein and dairy products. My blood type is A positive. That blood type is not compatible with proteins. Major relief until this past March. My legs started aching and throbbing to the point that I was crying in pain. How could this be? I am so active. Age perhaps....the malformation of the artery in my legs...? Sorry, I was not going on all the meds. The side affects scared me. I am not putting something in my body that is synthetic, i. e. man made.

Now I take one tablespoon of cayenne pepper a day and Butchers Broom 3 times a day. In less than a week I was back to my new self and pain free. Father God made such for a purpose. So solly, I trust Him and what He made more than the fakies the pharmies make. If you have high blood pressure you can not take Butchers Broom. Take time released Niacin for high blood pressure. My blood pressure was a little high because of the size of the artery in my legs. In less than a week my numbers were low normal.

I mix the cayenne pepper with 8 ounces of water or Gatorade or V-8 juice. You don't have to take the whole TBS. of cayenne at one time.

weel, had the first visit with the cardi lady -- My dr's name is Ruby (She worked with Dean Ornish 30 years ago in Mass General)...love that...anyhow -- she said I have an excellent prognosis. I will be on 4 meds the rest of my life---I would take 24 if it saved my life!!!

I did not tell you guys - I mentioned to rocky - but I will tell you I wasn't breathing for 5 days (not very well any how because I was in Heart failure...my blood had backed up into my lungs quite a bit)

They did say it was because I was already in such good shape aerobically which I did way before "the-way" too....(35 years now --I have scarred lungs (thus the need to be aerobic)-- another story) that -- that is what kept me alive.

But because of that transient heart failure _ I was really scared...I am 49 -- too young for heart failure. anyhow she told me today it is highly unlikely to be permanent -- echocardio again in 2 weeks--- 2 weeks ago tomorrow-- I was dying---Unbelievable!!!BUT -- my prognosis is excellent!

Okay -- I also get a call walking into the waiting room...my boss - I tell her I will call her back...call back and she is stuck-- we have had an over-anticipated amount of registrations at our school....Would I consider teaching Kindergarten -- with the cap at 14 kids--with an assistant (who is a permanent substitute) 70-80% of the time.?...(way less stress!!!)--we will talk Monday. I would leave Interventions for this year--but then go back next.

Cardiac rehab is top notch -- I get my oxygen tested every machine -- wear 4 leads -- (ecg) and bp before and after...--After 4 more times like that it will only be the BP and oxygen...won't have to do the leads every time.

salami -- Have you thought about Medicaid? Your kids can usually get a kind of insurance through school, but since you home school...check with a church group that does homeschool networking....and they (kids) will almost always qualify for state Medicaid...what ever your state has --call dept of Families Youth and Children or whtever they call it there...

My neighbor uses it for her kids...her husband is a contract worker for the UN and goes to Africa a lot...but they don't get Benefits.

For those with heart problems and circulation problems google cayenne pepper.

I was plagued with my first vericose vein in highschool. I have been an athlete all my life. Track and field, swimming, softball, running. It was determined in my late 40's that the artery in my legs tapered off, i. e. they were not "normal" size. I had tests because even though I ran 5 miles 3 times a week and lifted weights 3 times a week my feet would go numb just minutes after sitting in the car.

So I cut out all protein and dairy products. My blood type is A positive. That blood type is not compatible with proteins. Major relief until this past March. My legs started aching and throbbing to the point that I was crying in pain. How could this be? I am so active. Age perhaps....the malformation of the artery in my legs...? Sorry, I was not going on all the meds. The side affects scared me. I am not putting something in my body that is synthetic, i. e. man made.

Now I take one tablespoon of cayenne pepper a day and Butchers Broom 3 times a day. In less than a week I was back to my new self and pain free. Father God made such for a purpose. So solly, I trust Him and what He made more than the fakies the pharmies make. If you have high blood pressure you can not take Butchers Broom. Take time released Niacin for high blood pressure. My blood pressure was a little high because of the size of the artery in my legs. In less than a week my numbers were low normal.

I mix the cayenne pepper with 8 ounces of water or Gatorade or V-8 juice. You don't have to take the whole TBS. of cayenne at one time.

I first took cayenne in the late 1970s. I lived in Los Angeles for about 6 and a half months before going in residence at Emporia. I began having nose bleeds, apparently from the bad air in LA (after being in LA for about 4 months). Someone shared about the cayenne cocktail... mixing loose cayenne in water. That was wicked/nasty... but it stopped the nose bleeds.

I've learned since that you can get (or put) it in gelatin capsules... makes it a WHOLE lot easier to take.

Regarding NIACIN... it is also effective in lowering cholesterol... I used to take it but NOT the time release formula. Also, NOT niacinamide... which is NOT effective for cholesterol. BUT -- and this is a BIG DEAL... do NOT take NIACIN if you're diabetic.

NIACIN elevates blood sugar levels.

weel, had the first visit with the cardi lady -- My dr's name is Ruby (She worked with Dean Ornish 30 years ago in Mass General)...love that...anyhow -- she said I have an excellent prognosis. [ :dance::eusa_clap::dance: ] I will be on 4 meds the rest of my life---I would take 24 if it saved my life!!!

I did not tell you guys - I mentioned to rocky - but I will tell you I wasn't breathing for 5 days (not very well any how because I was in Heart failure...my blood had backed up into my lungs quite a bit)

They did say it was because I was already in such good shape aerobically which I did way before "the-way" too....(35 years now --I have scarred lungs (thus the need to be aerobic)-- another story) that -- that is what kept me alive.

But because of that transient heart failure _ I was really scared...I am 49 -- too young for heart failure. anyhow she told me today it is highly unlikely to be permanent -- echocardio again in 2 weeks--- 2 weeks ago tomorrow-- I was dying---Unbelievable!!!BUT -- my prognosis is excellent!

Okay -- I also get a call walking into the waiting room...my boss - I tell her I will call her back...call back and she is stuck-- we have had an over-anticipated amount of registrations at our school....Would I consider teaching Kindergarten -- with the cap at 14 kids--with an assistant (who is a permanent substitute) 70-80% of the time.?...(way less stress!!!)-- [ :dance::eusa_clap::dance: ] we will talk Monday. I would leave Interventions for this year--but then go back next.

Cardiac rehab is top notch -- I get my oxygen tested every machine -- wear 4 leads -- (ecg) and bp before and after...--After 4 more times like that it will only be the BP and oxygen...won't have to do the leads every time.

I bet teaching kindergarten would be a blast, as long as you have a small enough class and that assistant most of the time!!!