GreaseSpot Cafe

Is Space Exploration a real benefit or necessity?

RainbowsGirl

The Space Station seemed eerily too isolated and too desolate for me to handle!

Tour of the International Space Station

Inside the space station

I have these Questions:

Were we meant to live on other planets?

I am not saying that I am that acquainted enough with NASSA’s Programs or its Projects, nor their risks necessities or benefits!

I am wondering if Biblically from GOD‘s view point, is it necessary or warranted to build space stations?

Throughout the Bible God states his reasons for the sun, the moon, the stars and the planets in their courses; and I find nothing yet to date that indicates that the money we continually spend on the Space Programs, now and throughout it’s history to be justifiably warranted. What are Your thoughts?

Does anyone think we will ever relocate to outer space or other planets?

This is a link I was was reading as one resourse - http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c012.html

"Why would God create such a vast universe if it is only for those on the planet Earth? What purpose does the universe hold? Frankly, God has not revealed all the answers, but he has shared at least some of the reasons:

LIGHT, TIME-KEEPING AND NAVIGATION. Scripture tells us that God created the Sun, Moon and stars to give light (brightening the utter darkness of the night sky) and to assist mankind (Genesis 1:14-15, etc.). That's right, one of the reasons that God made the Moon, solar system and stars was to provide a way for us to distinguish the passage of time (days, months and years) and predict the coming of seasons. Without these heavenly bodies, the job of keeping time and navigation would have been far more difficult. We learn from history that from the earliest days, ancient peoples used the movement of stars in producing their calendars and finding their way across great distances, just as God designed from the beginning. It may be that even some migrating birds make use of the constellations.

GLORIFYING THE CREATOR. Another purpose for the myriad of stars is to bring glory to God—focusing man's attention on the Creator's awesome power and greatness. Psalm 19:1 states,

“The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.”

The vastness of the universe is a tremendous expression of God's might and power. God is greater than we could ever imagine, even greater that His spectacular creation, the universe. Psalm 8:1,3,9 states,

“O Lord, our Lord, How majestic is Thy name in all the earth, Who hast displayed Thy splendor above the heavens! …When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which Thou has ordained; …O Lord, our Lord, How majestic is Thy name in all the earth!”

This is an excellent link Waysider and establishes that there are many benefits from space exploration, many more than I knew of!

Do You think that the Space Station is a benefit that will serve us similarly or within GOD's time frame, before Christ's Return?

I remember LCM ranting about "the only reason for a space program is military dominance!" I disagreed, of course; and it was one of the reasons I got booted from TWI. For me, Psalm 19 is plenty of reason for a space program (i.e., to learn more about God). No particular reason to LIVE on other planets, though.

George

I am very opposed to limiting science based on the bible or any religion. To me, it is bigger than any one religion. The quest to learn more about the universe, more about ourselves, and simply because it is a part of human existence. We want to learn, we want to expand, and space is a part of that. If we somehow find the way to survive long enough as a species (we have been around hardly any time in the lifetime of Earth) we would have to face resource depletion, the death of the sun, the collision with the Andromeda galaxy, potential comet and meteor impacts, etc. There are many things that could eventually destroy our planet, and we'll have to go to space and beyond if we have any hope of surviving as a species.

So no, I don't think it's a waste of time.

I remember LCM ranting about "the only reason for a space program is military dominance!" I disagreed, of course; and it was one of the reasons I got booted from TWI. For me, Psalm 19 is plenty of reason for a space program (i.e., to learn more about God). No particular reason to LIVE on other planets, though.

George

Well, didn't God say something to Adam and Eve about going forth and multiplying? Was that limited to earth?

I could rattle off a couple of things I've gleaned from interesting cable/sat channels (like the Science channel or Discovery HD theater) but that would only provide fodder (IMO) for people to suggest God would not want that or if we trusted God we wouldn't need this, etc.

GSG: LCM did say that.

Maybe God put the other planets (and other solar systems) sufficiently out of reach so that we wouldn't be able to reach them.

Let's face it. A lot of effort has been put into stuffing up this planet. Not so much effort into the clean-up. If you don't have to clean up but can just ship the select few out to other planets, why not just do that? Instead of cleaning up your own back yard.

Were we meant to live on other planets?

No

I am not saying that I am that acquainted enough with NASSA’s Programs or its Projects, nor their risks necessities or benefits!

I am wondering if Biblically from GOD‘s view point, is it necessary or warranted to build space stations?

No

Throughout the Bible God states his reasons for the sun, the moon, the stars and the planets in their courses; and I find nothing yet to date that indicates that the money we continually spend on the Space Programs, now and throughout it’s history to be justifiably warranted. What are Your thoughts?

There have been some real benefits. Whether they would have been discovered without the specific focus of the program - who knows? Maybe other things would have been discovered instead. Or as well.

An expensive benefit. Not a necessity.

But it's thrilling to realize the greatness of the universe and to see the spectacular images collected via space-based telescopes, whether Hubble or by astronauts orbiting the earth.

Does anyone think we will ever relocate to outer space or other planets?

On a permanent basis on other planets, no. On a long-term basis on space ships, probably. Purpose???

I recall reading that C.S. Lewis believed in life on other planets, and also believed that the distances between our star and theirs was intended by God to quarantine Earth from them, because Earth had succumbed to original sin. In his view, Earthlings are the virus and the rest of the universe needs to be protected from us.

It's an interesting theory. I'm not sure I believe it - but pondering different possibilities is infinitely better than the alternative.

Inquiry and exploration is woven into the human fabric.

GSG - I too have heard LCM state this, and I do not remember when or where exactly; I think it was on a SNS tape...when He was talking about how we were going to be in

trouble if we didn't keep our military strong!

Psalm 19 is a beautiful psalm and demonstrates to me as a Christian that GOD as the "master in chief" of all scientists!

Mister P-Mosh - IMHO, Christianity does not discount or devalue science, we merely see and understand it with respect and reverence to GOD and His Word! I don't feel qualified

to answer all the questions that I posed, nor am I implying that we should not enjoy and value scientific research and explore and understand the planets, stars and galaxies. I do

however question the expense and goals of space exploration. Even science marvels at and cannot definitively explain all the wonders of the Universe!

Rocky - I always understood it to be referring to earth as Genesis predominately refers to the creation of the earth in respect to Adam and Eve. Yet I see Your point the Heavens

were also formed and created. knowing that Adam and Eve's limited knowledge in comparison with GOD's knowledge and the impending lose of spiritual connect It would seem that

space exploration was not yet an option for them. The going forth in the to multiply:

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea,

and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

was specific to them and since that was the only place they could go in their time frame!

Yet, my scope may be far too limited!

Maybe You should add in what you suggested?

Twinky - "Maybe God put the other planets (and other solar systems) sufficiently out of reach so that we wouldn't be able to reach them.

Let's face it. A lot of effort has been put into stuffing up this planet. Not so much effort into the clean-up. If you don't have to clean up but can just ship the select few out to other

planets, why not just do that? Instead of cleaning up your own back yard."

These are very good points and they are why I question at least the expense and goals of NASSA.

Waysider - God forbid we should cancel the Space program, but maybe we should revise and/or revamp it to better accommodate "Captain Brainstorm"

Edited by RainbowsGirl

I am very opposed to limiting science based on the bible or any religion.

I agree wholeheartedly. Religious interference has a track record for impeding the advances of science. From Galileo being under house arrest for declaring the earth to be round...to stem cell research.

In my opinion, religious superstition is an enemy of objective science.

I agree, P-Mosh and Groucho.

Why I posted C.S. Lewis's POV is because he didn't use Christianity as an excuse to limit space exploration. In effect, he said, "Look all you want. Learn all you can. You can't screw things up any more than has already been done."

Now, that being said, it seems to me that there is a certain amount of mythology that causes people to blame their religion for not exploring and learning.

Sure there are ethical questions that will arise - but the alternative is that we stay stuck in some backwards mentality while we fear venturing out.

It reminds me of the movie "The Village."

Doojable - "I recall reading that C.S. Lewis believed in life on other planets, and also believed that the distances between our star and theirs was intended by God to quarantine

Earth from them, because Earth had succumbed to original sin. In his view, Earthlings are the virus and the rest of the universe needs to be protected from us.

It's an interesting theory. I'm not sure I believe it - but pondering different possibilities is infinitely better than the alternative.

Inquiry and exploration is woven into the human fabric."

This is a very interesting theory as theories go and I agree with you!

I Love that we can think, dream, wonder at search out and refine the practicality of things; through all the various mediums; whether through, artistically express, write form, research,

or whatever other form, so we may enjoy and utlize all of our vast resourses. I chose to do this under GOD's standard, I actually see His standard as the most scientific!

Some of Lewis' ideas were based on Romans 8:19-23

19 For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God.

20 For the creation was subjected to vanity, not of its own will, but by reason of him who subjected it, in hope

21 that the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the liberty of the glory of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first-fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for our adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Not so far fetched when you consider the whole creation waiting. Does that just mean us? I say go for it--I want to go back to the moon--but we have been there, done that.

Must be so amazing!

"(Mister P-Mosh @ Aug 26 2008, 09:39 AM)

I am very opposed to limiting science based on the bible or any religion."

GM Jr's quote - I agree wholeheartedly. Religious interference has a track record for impeding the advances of science. From Galileo being under house

arrest for declaring the

earth to be round...to stem cell research.

GrouchoMarxJr. - Might many of the religious and scientific doctrinal divisions and webs of confusion be due to man's free will ability to hew out as many cisterns and theories as

he wills or desires. The arguments go on endlessly and sometimes we agree on the same things for different doctrinal reasons, and yet substantial, even godly reasons as well?!

Who can even sort through them all; there are too many...we are flooded with them. Maybe we should consider this delema...The web of doctrines we have!

GM Jr's quote -

In my opinion, religious superstition is an enemy of objective science.

IMHO, God is objective beyond man's ability to understand objectivity. GOD's objectivity is not flawed...Man's is flawwed and subject to constant change...of doctrine or theory or

whatever whim he chooses to entertain

Edited by RainbowsGirl

I agree, P-Mosh and Groucho.

Why I posted C.S. Lewis's POV is because he didn't use Christianity as an excuse to limit space exploration. In effect, he said, "Look all you want. Learn all you can. You can't screw things up any more than has already been done."

RainbowsGirl - So by ALL Means Proceed???

Now, that being said, it seems to me that there is a certain amount of mythology that causes people to blame their religion for not exploring and learning.

Sure there are ethical questions that will arise - but the alternative is that we stay stuck in some backwards mentality while we fear venturing out.

It reminds me of the movie "The Village."

Neither, am I using Christianity as an excuse or a justification for Space exploration; although we are defined by our standards and what we value....whether they are mixed, varied or

not mixed or not varied! Some things don't change, but that does not relegate them to "backward mentality" It isn't fear of venturing out I am concerned with. It is cost and goals!

Edited by RainbowsGirl

Some of Lewis' ideas were based on Romans 8:19-23

19 For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God.

20 For the creation was subjected to vanity, not of its own will, but by reason of him who subjected it, in hope

21 that the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the liberty of the glory of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first-fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for our adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Not so far fetched when you consider the whole creation waiting. Does that just mean us? I say go for it--I want to go back to the moon--but we have been there, done that.

Must be so amazing!

Thank You, Geisha I also find Lewis' ideas biblically based!

Maybe there is other life on other planets!

GOD knows!!!

The only thing I'll add is this - I find it very sad if humans are the only intellegent life in the universe.

Well, it's not as if we'd ever communicate with them, anyway. I can just see some beings thousands of light-years away picking up one of our broadcast (thousands of years later, of course):

Quick! Dispatch a mission to this "Earth." Gilligan and his friends are in real trouble!

George

Well, it's not as if we'd ever communicate with them, anyway. I can just see some beings thousands of light-years away picking up one of our broadcast (thousands of years later, of course):

Quick! Dispatch a mission to this "Earth." Gilligan and his friends are in real trouble!

George

Great point George

Hey Jim, Do we not have enough people here to talk to, and try to get along with here; or are you tired of your fellow man as a species? Aliens could be smarter and nicer indeed!

Then again they could be intolerant of us all together!

Well, anything I was thinking or potentially implying can be found in the essence of what dooj added.

Yet, RG, it's quite obvious that before the most recent history of modern civilization it was difficult to even IMAGINE exploring space. So, to me it's understandable that no one writing down scriptures could have even seriously considered what's in Genesis to have included space exploration.

I personally would prefer more of a focus (in the scientific community) on what is now the recognized field of Sustainability, than on space exploration. But it's absolutely inevitable that mankind would be needing to expand the (actual physical) boundaries of what we know. And as soon as people were willing to IMAGINE exploring space, doing so became inevitable.

To me, it seems that what C.S. Lewis did was to read scripture and use his imagination.

Can you IMAGINE how long Galileo must have took after gazing into the sky with telescopes, fighting with his own mind trying to avoid the realization that the earth is NOT center of the universe? But at some point, he could NOT avoid the realization of what he was observing.

Change is difficult. For one person as well as for society. But it's in our genes to explore. Set a new horizon, and someone is going to find it necessary to explore beyond it.

I think the aliens are already here... they've just discovered a different dimension to travel (and live in)... a dimension that we are not quite aware of yet... Chariots of the Gods makes a lot more sense to me than a great number of books... maybe the only way that intellectually primitive man could explain these beings was to give them 'godlike' status? ..and they must have had wings or they couldn't have flown could they? ...and the bubbles they had around their heads to protect them from our atmosphere, when looked at reflected a circle at the top from the sun, a halo?

oh... they're here all right...

now, as to the space station? and NASA in general? ...it could probably be done a lot cheaper in the private sector ...and they're farming more of it out, at least according to the latest Penn & Teller segment...