GreaseSpot Cafe

Cheap Gas

Oakspear

Last summer I drove to New York. Gas prices were insane, but it was still cheaper than 3 plane tickets, parking and a rental when I got there.

Gas was $3.85 when I left Lincoln and rose steadily as I headed east. I paid $4.39/gallon around the corner from my parents' on the way home, and saw prices over $4.50 in some places; it was still $4.15 in Nebraska when I got home.

Friday morning I paid $1.599/gallon. I think Kansas City is running even cheaper than that. The last time I was there it was $1.79 when it was $2.19 in Lincoln.

How low will it go?

I have heard a dollar a gallon by summer!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/

". . . But consider what has happened since July 11 when a barrel of oil hit a record $147.27 and a gallon of gas was $4.117 on July 17. In less than five months, oil has fallen 72 percent.

Just this week, in which the National Bureau of Economic Research determined that the U.S. is in recession, oil has fallen 25 percent.

On Friday, light, sweet crude for January delivery settled at $40.81 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, down by nearly $3 per barrel. Prices fell as low at $40.50, levels last seen in December 2004.

Gasoline futures for January delivery tumbled to 90 cents.

For gas prices to get close to a $1, oil prices probably would need to fall another $10 a barrel — something that would have impossible to fathom during first part of this year as oil prices soared near $150 per barrel.

“Just seeing that ’1’ up there is just hard to imagine,” said Kevin Keating, 65, an attorney as he filled up his Volvo S60 at a station in Phoenix that advertised prices at $1.67. 'Wasn’t that long ago that we worried about the ’4’ being up there. . .' "

We live in Western New York, specifically the 2nd poorest city in the US (Buffalo) and the gas here is the

HIGHEST in the continental US.

We are at our lowest prices in months - 2.12-2.19 for regular.

After years of lame excuses, our US rep announced Friday that the retailers are getting the almost twice the profit they get outside our zone.

What a rip.

I paid $1.79 a couple of days ago and the price has dropped as much as a dime since. I saw a station with $1.69 today. Probably other places in the Phoenix area are down to the low $1.60s...

There was a segment on 60 Minutes tonight about Saudi oil.

Last summer I drove to New York. Gas

Friday morning I paid $1.599/gallon. I think Kansas City is running even cheaper than that. The last time I was there it was $1.79 when it was $2.19 in Lincoln.

How low will it go?

Yep I paid $1.35 today

But I gotta know Northern Neighbor when you said "not that I'm complaining" did you say that because Very few of us here are writers by profession, trained to use their words in a precise and unambiguous manner. We write things that sometimes aren't clear, then go back and clarify. Were you having a clarity moment and really meant you were complainng? :biglaugh:

Edited by WhiteDove

The supermarket in my town started a promotion with a few local gas stations back when the prices were over $4.00

X dollars in groceries gets you ten cents off per gallon, it continues to accumulate every time you but groceries-- I now have $1.10 off per gallon

My last fillup was .79 cents/gal.

Nice to get a fillup on my work van at about $25.00 instead of $125.00