GreaseSpot Cafe

The presumption of innocence – being innocent until proven guilty,

WhiteDove

In an effort to leave the JT thread intact and since some seem to have drug my name into this conversation,and want to pursue this topic further it seems,( despite the claims they like to ignore the posts) I moved the last few posts and replies here, if a Mod has time and wishes to move or delete posts not related to that thread it seems appropriate.

QUOTE WhiteDove

It's pretty simple when you accuse and pronounce guilty someone of a crime and sexual abuse is one, you take the discussion out of the realm of common knowledge discussions. (Actually, no you don't) It is a criminal offence and as such requires criminal investigation and prosecusion. and a fair trial....A real one. that places it in a court no longer public opinion.

GarthP2000

My response to this is thusly:

1) Since VPW is now dead, and can't be charged (taken to court and all that), because of this, you seriously expect people to treat him as though he's innocent of all this? (due to legal definitions of innocence) As a matter of common factual knowledge outside the court? Like I said before, "What amounts to facts isn't solely determined by a court of law. Nor are conclusions based upon said facts solely limited to within a court of law." and that applies even to facts regarding criminal behavior. The difference here is that said 'defendant' isn't brought before the judge nor is his freedom taken away (again, because he's dead).

No I expect people to have whatever OPINION that they want, but stating that OPINION as a guilty verdict or in terms as such, as a forgone conclusion, without said legal verdict is incorrect Your opinion may be that he is guilty, mine may be the same, but it is not a statement of fact as there is no case or verdict to conclude such.

2) As a classic precedence illustrating this principle, would Adolph Hitler's crimes against humanity also be subject to said principle? (Why won't you deal with that point?) Remember, he wasn't charged either, and since what people say he did amounted to crimes, ... against humanity, .....

Adolph Hitler is not an American he is not subject to our legal standards his case is different from VP's if you wish to make a case for him feel free.

and 3) I Just realized something. It is to protect people's freedom from being falsely imprisoned that the concept of innocent until proved guilty was constructed, NOT specifically because to protect someone's reputation from common knowledge accusations. Yes Virginia, there is a difference. And yes, there is also legal remedies in our law to deal with false accusations made outside the court of law. It has to do with laws (and lawsuits) against libel, slander, and character assassinations. ... SO if what we're saying here at GS about VPW being 'guilty' of said sexual abuses amounts to libel, slander, and character assassinations, all a VPW apologist has to do is take us to court. And I'd be willing to bet that those of us who do 'accuse' VPW of said acts are confident enough in what we're saying that we're not gonna back down, so go ahead and call Judge Wapner!

QUOTE (WhiteDove @ Feb 12 2009, 02:46 PM)

On the other side of the fence is numbers that will say they are right in what they believe. Numbers are not the telling of truth . Proof is hard evidence, and due process of law when you are accusing one of a crime. Everyone has a point of view you choose to believe the ones you do because they support your agenda. I choose to believe no man's words show me the verdict and you can refer to one as guilty.

Rascal

Again, that is just not a fair representation of the facts Dove. Number one, I have no agenda. I consider that statement a personal attack on my integrity as a poster here.

Number 2 is that I think that what you CHOOSE to do is ignore anything that contradicts your limited perceptions of a part of twi and it`s people whom you never personally interacted with yourself in order to try to support your theories. Fine, thats what YOU do....However, when you stoop to misrepresenting the people or the facts involved in order to attempt to make your point, you WILL be called on it.

You have no idea of who I have personally interacted with, and when you have something other someone's testimony then you can speak as to what is a fact ,as facts can be proven.

RumRunner

Not worth the fight Rascal. WD clearly has never read - or perhaps understood - the congressional ruling of 1975 titled Federal Rules of Evidence. This ruling clearly states the the most common form of evidence is provided by witnesses. It has certain regulation regarding competency to testify etc but it CLEARLY recognizes witnesses as the most common form of evidentiary discovery. While WD is a good writer - he would fail my most basic logic classes. Let him ride his magic carpet - he's having fun - but his posts are, generally, not worth responding to.

Well Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum actually I am familiar with the afore mentioned document. You seem to have a lapse in memory I never said that witnesses were not evidence, but just because they have testimony does not mean that it is automatically accepted as the truth as some seem to think. It is presented as part of a case ,provided it meets criteria, and cross examined, and supported by hard evidence exhibits. So as I said just because someone says so does not mean it is truth or that it is not truth, that remains for the process to determine. Which I'll just point out has not happened as such we have no concrete statement of truth. It is yet to be proven.

QUOTE Whitedove

It's pretty simple when you accuse and pronounce guilty someone of a crime and sexual abuse is one, you take the discussion out of the realm of common knowledge discussions . It is a criminal offence and as such requires criminal investigation and prosecusion. and a fair trial....A real one. that places it in a court no longer public opinion.

QUOTE (Oakspear @ Feb 12 2009, 02:13 PM)

One does not preclude the other.

RumRunner

Well the key there Oak is that court IS public opinion with the exception of the Supreme Court. Jurors are selected from the public - interviewed, selected and sworn in. However those jurors are the public. While they are expected to be impartial - they are still humans - the public - and hence a so called real trial is nothing more than downsizing and pre-selecting the amount of public who will determine guilt and in some cases recommend sentencing.

Except you omitted a few other relevant facts such as they are sworn to uphold the truth, not admit personal opinion as facts, and a variety of other things that go on in an internet website under the guise of truth. So while they may have the element of being human people as the same, they don't allow for the free for all and bias that some take license with here. To compare the jury here with a real jury is laughable at best and certainly not even close to resembling the same thing.

QUOTE (WhiteDove @ Feb 12 2009, 08:37 PM)

Perhaps you need to reread before you fabricate charges. I have never questioned anyones right to speak ,nor to have their opinion ,when opinion is presented as absolute fact and verdicts are rendered as true without the benefit of due process then yes I will point that fact out. I see no place where I was Questioning someone's right to voice their honest concerns. Nor was a worried about impressing you.

Here we go again, indeed.

Pete

WD: on reflection, perhaps my use of the word "right" was a bit inconsidered, particularly from a Brit to a Colonial, where the word may have slightly stronger connotations for you. However, if I can rephrase this, I am intending to imply that your intention is to dissuade people from posting statements that disagree with your personal view point. This is more than corroborated by your comments above where you do indeed appear to be saying that you should only post an opinion when it is "absolute fact" ??? Am I reading you right ? If so, this in itself questions people who are voicing anything that doesn't conform to your personal view of what is an "absolute fact". Opinion may consist of viewpoints that are subjective and consequently cannot be expected to conform to your "absolute fact" criterion.

Since you wish to take my comments as a personal affront, I'd have to respond to you by saying that I'm not at all concerned how you feel about the fact that a particular statement didn't impress me, in fact it is entirely irrelevent. It still doesn't impress me and I think that you may be able to take that as an absolute fact, although I'm not entirely sure what your idea of an "absolute fact" is, but have the horrible premonition that another protracted definition is about to follow. God help us !

I am intending to imply that your intention is to dissuade people from posting statements that disagree with your personal view point. This is more than corroborated by your comments above where you do indeed appear to be saying that you should only post an opinion when it is "absolute fact" ??? Am I reading you right ?

No you are not. I have never dissuaded anyone from doing such, I have pointed out that facts are facts and opinion is opinion ,not always the same thing. That which is factual and that which is a personal opinion are two different things , one should not be misrepresented as the other. Example It is a fact that we just had an election in the USA, My opinion of the elected is mine it will not be one in the same with everyone's, it may be truth it may not be. To state my opinion in the absolute as truth is incorrect ,I can certainly feel free to voice it and others can feel free to challenge that opinion, that is not dissuading anybody. What I said was post opinion as opinion and facts as facts

Since you wish to take my comments as a personal affront

Be most assured that I have not taken your comments as personal, I simply responded to your words that you were not impressed, to clarify that was not my purpose ,or mission to impress you. by the way it has nothing to do with you specifically I would say the same of any poster here. I have no need to impress anyone ,and some would agree that I have not :biglaugh:

Edited by WhiteDove

SO if what we're saying here at GS about VPW being 'guilty' of said sexual abuses amounts to libel, slander, and character assassinations, all a VPW apologist has to do is take us to court.

I think it depends on the state laws. To the best of my knowledge, most states have no law against slandering the dead, so a lawsuit of this nature likely would be a big waste of time and money even if the allegation is false.

What'd be interesting is if VPW were alive and someone would sue for sexual harassment/rape.

Logically, Craig got sued, so its not crazy to think someone would sue and end up receiving a financial settlement.

May be on topic -

I don't know about anybody being innocent or guilty, of anything. GS isn't small claims court or any kind of court for that matter. It's a discussion board.

To me the whole topic deals more with accurate, factual and true information. Is the information true according to fact?

Wiki-peedonit is a great example of an attempt at collaborative, community shared information. Any topic can be placed, written, added to, edited, annotated, or questioned. Sources have to be cited where appropriate. Anyone using it needs to check those sources. Wikipedia is as good as those who contribute to it. Topics have holes, gaps, inaccuracies, uncited content. Some of that's because it's a work in progress by design, some is because the information just isn't correct. Overall there's a lot of sound, accurate and well written information that can be checked and used. But anyone who uses content published to it without checking it against other sources runs the risk of getting wrong information.

Here, things are posted, stated.

Some are opinions - "I think", "IMO", "as far as I know", "I always heard", etc. and the like.

Others are facts based on experience - "In 1988, (this) happened to me", "I saw", "I said", "they said", etc.

Others still are simply restated known facts - "The PFAL book reads on page...", "The Way published....", "I wrote", etc.

Some are facts from publicly known events and occurrences - "At the ROA 77...", "In a meeting held in...", etc.

I don't know that that covers everything but those are at least some types of information. Plus jokes and humorous asides, there's a lot that goes up in those categories.

The context(s) for the information shared and collaboratively generated has to be considered - a lot of what's posted has happened in the past and all of the primary participants aren't here, collectively sharing and creating the information. So, one person may be restating their knowledge, memory, understanding and observations of past events that may be recognized generally by others but by no one else directly involved at that time other than the poster.

This happens all the time - "In 1988, I remember...", and someone else posts "Yes, I remember in our area, the same kind of thing happened where...", etc.

Getting to the innocent/guilty verdict here regarding people and past events isn't of interest to me personally. I consider that an area of my own domain and one where I don't see any value to knowing that and won't pursue it about other people, here. If it deals with me, that's different. Others, I post at times along the lines of what I stated above but if I feel something is factual I state it so it reads like that. Whether someone else wants to accept that verbatim is up to them, but if I were me I'd be careful doing that. So to speak. :biglaugh: Just on face value.

I think a lot of good information is shared here, but I would caution everyone to carefully consider the compositve view of the "facts" they generate from what they read here. It's the nature of a board like this that as information posts and circulates and recirculates that a "record" of facts can be generated that's apparently "true" but is in fact mostly unconfirmed information that's been shared informally in the course of discussing a topic.

Not all of it, I'm not suggesting that for everything. Can't think of an example off the top of me head, but there are some that float around where it's assumed that if this happened, and that is true, then (this) is probably verifiably true. That's not accurate or reliable information, obviously.

But it's a discussion board here, so the kind of posting that goes on can and should allow for a topic to be kicked around as it will by those interested, freely and without too many restrictions. I just try to weight and evaluate the information and not insist (for myself) that everything be in a signed affadavit with photos and subpoenaed records before I give it consideration. It's a discussion board, not a court of law and setting it up as such would restrict the objective of providing open discussion of one's involvement and experiences in the Way (and related topics).

IMO. :biglaugh:

Dove wrote to me......

You have no idea of who I have personally interacted with, and when you have something other someone's testimony then you can speak as to what is a fact ,as facts can be proven.

Dove, what I DO know (according to what you yourself have personally posted here) is that anything DOVE writes about twi outside of Doves area in Doves particular state is ALL second and third hand information...and as such unreliable, undocumentable and therefor not to be believed......You personally Dove (according to your statements and the standards that you uphold) are simply unqualified to present an opinion regarding wow way corpes vp lcm treatment of others at the hands of twi leaders etc. because the ONLY thing that YOU personally know about such things is what someone ELSE has told you. Let`s have the same standards that you insist on in others.

Mean time I will continue to speak up as to what I have actually experienced in twi, and discuss the experiences of others on this board.

The bible talked about and soundly condemned the pharacees, saducees, false prophets, wolves in sheeps clothing, adulterers, drunks, lascivious behavior, etc etc...all without the benefit of a legal trial! Imagine that :)

Edited by rascal

I think it depends on the state laws. To the best of my knowledge, most states have no law against slandering the dead, so a lawsuit of this nature likely would be a big waste of time and money even if the allegation is false.

What'd be interesting is if VPW were alive and someone would sue for sexual harassment/rape.

Logically, Craig got sued, so its not crazy to think someone would sue and end up receiving a financial settlement.

Just a note the quote was RumRunners not mine.

Dove wrote to me......

Dove, what I DO know (according to what you yourself have personally posted here) is that anything DOVE writes about twi outside of Doves area in Doves particular state is ALL second and third hand information...and as such unreliable, undocumentable and therefor not to be believed......You personally Dove (according to your statements and the standards that you uphold) are simply unqualified to present an opinion regarding wow way corpes vp lcm treatment of others at the hands of twi leaders etc. because the ONLY thing that YOU personally know about such things is what someone ELSE has told you. Let`s have the same standards that you insist on in others.

That is absolute bulls**t I have never said anything remotely like that Pure fabrication. As I said ......

You have no idea of who I have personally interacted with, what I know or don't know. You just think you do.

Mean time I will continue to speak up as to what I have actually experienced in twi, and discuss the experiences of others on this board.

Really ? you speak alot about several issues that I don't recall you had any personal experiance with. Starting with the one that you just were moderated for, it was not your experiance it was someone else's were you there when it happened ? No ,you just believed what you were told and relayed it here. You might wanna lecture yourself about "The ONLY thing that YOU personally know about such things is what someone ELSE has told you."

before you attempt to be involved in my business.

Edited by WhiteDove

WD

Thank you for leaving the JT thread.

You can now continue to hock you bunkum in peace on your own thread, and good luck to you.

Cheers

Pete

Oh I have not left there by any means I just did what I asked someone else to do, who by the way started the conversation by dragging me into the thread. The only Bunkum is opinion being passed off as truth.

Edited by WhiteDove

White Dove said:

No I expect people to have whatever OPINION that they want, but stating that OPINION as a guilty verdict or in terms as such, as a forgone conclusion, without said legal verdict is incorrect Your opinion may be that he is guilty, mine may be the same, but it is not a statement of fact as there is no case or verdict to conclude such.

I think you've taken this over the top. Opinions do not need to have a legal verdict to meet the criteria of "fact". He is never going to face a trial by jury. He is never going to be able to defend himself. He can't be charged in absentia. It sounds to me like you are demanding that people use verbiage that leaves his guilt or innocence open for debate based solely on your experience (or in this case, lack of) and an impossible burden of proof.

Dove what the hell does it matter WHO you have interacted with? Everything outside of your limited geographic area is information related to you by another person...ie second hand :blink: You have no first hand knowledge of wow, way corpes, staff at root locals...how vp treated people on a regular basis...Face it...YOUR first hand information is limited to your personal experiences in your particular area. Certainly that is not good enough for you to allow in any other posters testimony or experiences. Yet strangely enough it was enough for you to call into question the experiences and honesty of others.

How many have you accused outside of the courts of law here at GS through the years without documentation or the proof that you require of others?

Edited by rascal

White Dove said:

I think you've taken this over the top. Opinions do not need to have a legal verdict to meet the criteria of "fact". He is never going to face a trial by jury. He is never going to be able to defend himself. He can't be charged in absentia. It sounds to me like you are demanding that people use verbiage that leaves his guilt or innocence open for debate based solely on your experience (or in this case, lack of) and an impossible burden of proof.

Not really, if you claim someone is guilty of a crime and have no record of such crime or guilt in said crime. It is simply not documented as factual. It also may be against the law. You may certainly state that it is your opinion they are guilty , you may even offer any personal testimony that one may have in argument of your position. But guilt is not established until due process of law is enacted. Until then it is a charge or accusation. There is no guilt or innocence, it remains to be proved or disproved.

Dove what the hell does it matter WHO you have interacted with? Everything outside of your limited geographic area is information related to you by another person...ie second hand :blink: You have no first hand knowledge of wow, way corpes, staff at root locals...how vp treated people on a regular basis...Face it...YOUR first hand information is limited to your personal experiences in your particular area. Certainly that is not good enough for you to allow in any other posters testimony or experiences. Yet strangely enough it was enough for you to call into question the experiences and honesty of others.

How many have you accused outside of the courts of law here at GS through the years without documentation or the proof that you require of others?

Again this is pure fabrication I have years of first hand interaction it is not limited to any geographic area. You have no idea what I have or have not done, pretty much because you were not there.

You do however like to speak on things you have no experience in as evident in recent posts. By the way as you seem intent on misrepresenting my position, I have never challenged second hand information on basic or common place matters ,only when a charge of guilt in a crime is concerned as that is a serious charge and worthy of consideration before one just throws it around , The courts require such consideration and proof it is reasonable to request the same.

Edited by WhiteDove

Dove, I only have your own testimony here at gs to go by. You yourself have written these things here... What the heck more do I need to know about whom ELSE you`ve interacted with when?? Surely it`s all 2nd hand information, and therefor unreliable and lacking in documentation.

Everything that you experienced concerning any issues outside of twi in your particular area is hearsay.....second hand information. That hardly puts you in a position to call into question the validity of another`s experiences, nor require documentation to back up anyone elses testimony.

Edited by rascal

Again this is pure fabrication I have years of first hand interaction it is not limited to any geographic area. You have no idea what I have or have not done, pretty much because you were not there.

You do however like to speak on things you have no experience in as evident in recent posts. By the way as you seem intent on misrepresenting my position, I have never challenged second hand information on basic or common place matters ,only when a charge of guilt in a crime is concerned as that is a serious charge and worthy of consideration before one just throws it around , The courts require such consideration and proof it is reasonable to request the same.

WD.....you keep side-stepping rascal's questions. So, I'll give it a try.

Question #1

If you, Whitedove, have never gone WOW Ambassador, do you have first-hand information of the WOW experience?

Question #2

If you, Whitedove, have never gone WOW Ambassador, do you have first-hand information of the WOW program?

Question #3

If you, Whitedove, have never gone inresidence Corps, do you have first-hand interaction of the corps experience? the daily schedule? the wierwille-teaching-and-drinking-drambuie corps nights? the sleep deprivation?

Question #4

If you, Whitedove, have never worked on staff at twi's hq, do you have first-hand interaction of staff meetings? staff/roa set-up schedules? presidents' cabinet and department oversight? layout of osc offices?

Question #5

If you, Whitedove, have never signed on for any of twi's programs.....left your comfort zone and area.....and followed the guidelines of these programs, how can you speak by experience (ginosko) on this discussion board?

Question #6

If you, Whitedove, simply reitterate the propaganda of twi into these discussions, how can you possibly be taken seriously since you have NO FIRST-HAND TESTIMONY of twi's programs and staff involvement?

Okay......that's probably enough questions.....for now.

Edited by skyrider

QUOTE WhiteDove

It's pretty simple when you accuse and pronounce guilty someone of a crime and sexual abuse is one, you take the discussion out of the realm of common knowledge discussions. (Actually, no you don't) It is a criminal offence and as such requires criminal investigation and prosecusion. and a fair trial....A real one. that places it in a court no longer public opinion.

It requires these things if one brings criminal charges. Otherwise. . . no it doesn't. That is how it is taken OUT of the realm of common knowledge discussion. By going to a DA or the POLICE and ASKING for an investigation by MAKING criminal accusations. Talking about things on an ex-cult forum is different.

Again and for the last time. . . it is not even libel. Since you seem so intent on legal definition. . . VP was a limited PUBLIC FIGURE. . . one could persuasively argue his cohorts were as well, "Leadership" that is. . . . New York Times V Sullivan stated that the burden of proof in a libel case has an ADDED element for a limited public figure to prove. . . that being. . . the one accused of libel spoke a falsehood with MALICE.

You might be surprized how narrow the area of interest can be to determine if one is a limited public figure. VP and Co more than qualify.

Why do you do this? What bothers you so much about people telling their stories? WD, it was a bad cult. We all got tricked. I have posted here about 9 months now. . . . I have seen this same conversation again and again. It doesn't matter that people explain the law to you. If VP were tried, he would have had the presumption of innocence. No one says he has to have it on an internet forum. Show me the statute.

There are better people to defend

Edited by geisha779

Dove, I only have your own testimony here at gs to go by. You yourself have written these things here... What the heck more do I need to know about whom ELSE you`ve interacted with when?? Surely it`s all 2nd hand information, and therefor unreliable and lacking in documentation.

That would be the point I have given no testimony you asume. interaction with people is not second hand information it is going to the source. aditionally any information when documented with evidence is factual.

Everything that you experienced concerning any issues outside of twi in your particular area is hearsay.....second hand information. That hardly puts you in a position to call into question the validity of another`s experiences, nor require documentation to back up anyone elses testimony.

Again you are incorrct it is not hearsay when you were there. You don't know what you speak of and anytime you wish to challenge something I have said I'll be happy to see who was right in the end .

WD.....you keep side-stepping rascal's questions. So, I'll give it a try.

Question #1

If you, Whitedove, have never gone WOW Ambassador, do you have first-hand information of the WOW experience?

Question #2

If you, Whitedove, have never gone WOW Ambassador, do you have first-hand information of the WOW program?

Question #3

If you, Whitedove, have never gone inresidence Corps, do you have first-hand interaction of the corps experience? the daily schedule? the wierwille-teaching-and-drinking-drambuie corps nights? the sleep deprivation?

Question #4

If you, Whitedove, have never worked on staff at twi's hq, do you have first-hand interaction of staff meetings? staff/roa set-up schedules? presidents' cabinet and department oversight? layout of osc offices?

Question #5

If you, Whitedove, have never signed on for any of twi's programs.....left your comfort zone and area.....and followed the guidelines of these programs, how can you speak by experience (ginosko) on this discussion board?

Question #6

If you, Whitedove, simply reitterate the propaganda of twi into these discussions, how can you possibly be taken seriously since you have NO FIRST-HAND TESTIMONY of twi's programs and staff involvement?

Okay......that's probably enough questions.....for now.

She has asked no questions she has only assumed that she knows what and where I have been. That which I have spoke on is from personal experience, it is accurate, I have never spoke on things that I have no involvement with from personal experience such as the WOW program. By the way on your other matter quoting documented policy is admissible evidence. it shows intent and reasonable actions of the organization.

Edited by WhiteDove

I assume that YOUR interaction WITH people here at gs where YOU said what your actual experience was in twi was true and factual. I think you are playing word games because you don`tlike being reminded that most of the knowledge that you base your facts on was 2nd and 3rd hand.

...and hows come.... if YOU talk to a person it is *going to a source* but if I talk to a person, it is second hand information that needs documentation?

Edited by rascal
  • Upvote 1

Okay, Whitedove...........according to your admission (or silence) on GS posts,

you have NOT gone wow,

you have NOT been inresidence corps,

you have NOT been staff at twi's hq,

THEREFORE......you answers would be in RED

Question #1

NO

Question #2

NO

Question #3

NO

Question #4

NO

Question #5

If you, Whitedove, have never signed on for any of twi's programs.....left your comfort zone and area.....and followed the guidelines of these programs, can you speak by experience (ginosko) on this discussion board?

NO

Question #6

If you, Whitedove, simply reitterate the propaganda of twi into these discussions, can you possibly be taken seriously since you have NO FIRST-HAND TESTIMONY of twi's programs and staff involvement?

NO

See........it's not that hard to answer a question with either 'yes' or 'no.'

:)

Edited by skyrider
  • Upvote 1

I assume that YOUR interaction WITH people here at gs where YOU said what your actual experience was in twi was true and factual. I think you are playing word games because you don`tlike being reminded that most of the knowledge that you base your facts on was 2nd and 3rd hand.

...and hows come.... if YOU talk to a person it is *going to a source* but if I talk to a person, it is second hand information that needs documentation?

And by the way you seem to be quite outspoken on subjects like accidents in the Corps, rapes in the Corps exactly how many lead accidents did you see first hand? And I forget what Corps did you graduate from that gives you such experiance.?

And by the way you seem to be quite outspoken on subjects like accidents in the Corps, rapes in the Corps exactly how many lead accidents did you see first hand? And I forget what Corps did you graduate from that gives you such experiance.?

those incidents have been documented, here at GS, where anyone can read and refer to them.

Edited by potato
  • Upvote 1