GreaseSpot Cafe

Four trips left to the university..

Ham

Yep.. two final exams. Then graduation. Oh, the seminar.. an exit exam on wednesday.

This university does not offer a Master's program in math. The other one I applied to does..

they accepted me a month ago. Today, I got a letter, they offer me a teaching assistantship.

I don't know whether I'm qualified, or if I just managed to fool them..

:biglaugh:

so it's "free(?)" classes.. a stipend (enough to budget for the year).. and they will actually PAY me to learn how to teach college students..

what more could an old hippie want?

what more could an old hippie want?

Ummm Zig-Zags and.....

Congrats man. Teaching college students is not all that hard. Some want it some don't. I never waste a lot of time on the ones who don't other than to remind them of the hourly cost to their parent for each class of mine they miss or otherwise ignore...that usually helps

Thanks..

well.. I might be able to motivate them. I know I'll at least eventually be teaching math 090 or something..

it's what I wanted to do. I'm sure I'll hear the same objections.. "duuuuuh.. why do we need to learn this.. we'll NEVER use it.."

I look at it like.. if one can't balance one's checkbook.. one can PAY someone else to do it.. and STILL not know whether it was done by Queen's rules..

Congratulations Ham! I'm sure you're qualified. I hope you love it......cause otherwise you'll be miserable doing it. But I think you'll love it.

Your potential students are indeed lucky to have you teach them! Enjoy them, and enjoy academia!

Ummm Zig-Zags and.....

Congrats man. Teaching college students is not all that hard. Some want it some don't. I never waste a lot of time on the ones who don't other than to remind them of the hourly cost to their parent for each class of mine they miss or otherwise ignore...that usually helps

I learned from my p-chem TA a few years back, "If you can't figure it out, it's cause you're stupid"

I share that great advice with all my students.

And congrats mr Ham.

I learned from my p-chem TA a few years back, "If you can't figure it out, it's cause you're stupid"

I share that great advice with all my students.

And congrats mr Ham.

I share that distinction at times.. the "stupid" part that is..

hey, what am I saying. I actually passed P-chem..

with your math strength you probably skipped through it. :biglaugh:

"you're stupid" has to do with those who don't want to sweat through the math and computer software and just figurein it out on you own . . . it was great advice really.

Congrats HAmmy!

here is some advice from an algebra 2 student.. Me...who hasn't done algebra in a good 30+ years, and is doing the sweat labor and is still struggling becasue of the following practices by my genius math teacher with an attitude..

When a student asks you a question (even if you think it is completely lame) Do not look at them like they are too stupid to get up in the morning... and snear at them. (yes it is effective at getting them to no longer ask questions.)

Do not do the example problems on the board so fast that it is all they can do to keep up taking notes, never mind being able to really see what you are doing.

Do not skip over the simple steps because you are so smart that you get it so your students ought to be able to figure it out ..

Because Well if you can't figure it out from what the instructor does on the board obviously you are too stupid anyway and deserve to get washed out. (yes His words)

Yes I will finish the class .. .. now I am hoping for a c and will be happy with that. (I had an A in teh previous class...)

Remember your job is to teach not to cut out those who are a little slower than the rest of the most brilliant math mimds..

Remember you are a TEACHER not the big bad wolf..

yeah.. well, I remember what it was like the first time through calculus, algebra, learning the multiplication table.. outside of a few brief flashes of "brilliance".. and I think everybody has them at times.. I learned math the old fashioned way.. hard work, lots of study. Learning on a schedule can be a nightmare at times..

Congrats HAmmy!

here is some advice from an algebra 2 student.. Me...who hasn't done algebra in a good 30+ years, and is doing the sweat labor and is still struggling becasue of the following practices by my genius math teacher with an attitude..

When a student asks you a question (even if you think it is completely lame) Do not look at them like they are too stupid to get up in the morning... and snear at them. (yes it is effective at getting them to no longer ask questions.)

Do not do the example problems on the board so fast that it is all they can do to keep up taking notes, never mind being able to really see what you are doing.

Do not skip over the simple steps because you are so smart that you get it so your students ought to be able to figure it out ..

Because Well if you can't figure it out from what the instructor does on the board obviously you are too stupid anyway and deserve to get washed out. (yes His words)

Yes I will finish the class .. .. now I am hoping for a c and will be happy with that. (I had an A in teh previous class...)

Remember your job is to teach not to cut out those who are a little slower than the rest of the most brilliant math mimds..

Remember you are a TEACHER not the big bad wolf..

Amen! leafytwiglet, I wish all math teachers could read what you wrote here! My 13 year old, in 8th grade, was placed in an Algebra class this year and it's been rough! cuz of the teacher. She had the advantage of a really great tutor who made all of the difference between her doing quite well and me pulling her out of the class. He didn't demean her or belittle her or make her feel stupid and that was the key to her learning the stuff!

Not only did his tutoring/teaching style(s) encourage her, but they laughed and did it together, not just him lecturing. I'm forever grateful and even cooler than that, she was able to pay it forward and tutor a fellow classmate.

Congratulations, Ham, on your upcoming excitement in your beloved field.

Congratulations, Ham!!!! I know you are very excited, as I am for you.

Yesterday, I signed up for my first college course for this summer, Intro to Business. It should be a piece of cake as hubby & I have owned businesses for about 11 years total.

Again, I am so happy for you. Hard work pays off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah.. well, I remember what it was like the first time through calculus, algebra, learning the multiplication table.. outside of a few brief flashes of "brilliance".. and I think everybody has them at times.. I learned math the old fashioned way.. hard work, lots of study. Learning on a schedule can be a nightmare at times..

Is there another way than "the old fashioned way"? :biglaugh:

Many times I've seen it's the student's who whine and complain and bring the teacher down to their level who get As. They don't care about learning, just grades. It's the students the teacher cares enough for to allow to fail who can really learn, and leave with something to build on. I think too many teachers in America have taught students to demand good grades. It's pathetic and lazy. Students want instant gratification of knowing "am I doing it right? what's my grade so far? Is what you're saying now going to be on the test?". It's really years down the road before you realize you learned something or not. America needs to let students fail. An "A" means nothing anymore.

It's the classes I bombed that I got the most out of. Though I wasn't happy at the time. :biglaugh:

A bit of sage advice from listening to my spousal unit who has taught college for 21 years.

Don't take the students to seriously. Some don't care, some lie, some just want a grade, some don't understand why they didn't get an A, some are mad, some are mad at you because of......... . Basicly do your best and don't worry when you get the corse evaluations and find one or two students who just rip you.

Smile and just keep on keeping on. Also teaching at the university level is a low low paying job.

My wife has had students who make more than she does 6 months after graduating.

Finished one exam today, the computer class. That was like shooting fish in a barrel. The instructor was probably the most dedicated one I've seen to date.

Was the only one I've ever seen, who was in a morning class, more than ten minutes early.. and almost unbelievably, he had all homework, exams, and final grade posted within four hours.

so it's three commutes left.. two exams, and once for graduation..