GreaseSpot Cafe

(re)(un)Covering the "authentic" you

Tzaia

another reason I don't see that there's an "authentic" you is that we're always playing some role. There's "you" with your spouse, you as a parent, you as a child, you as an employee/employer, you as a citizen etc. etc. etc. The rules are always changing.

people in twi behaved differently depending on who's around. believers, leadership, unbelievers etc etc etc.

which one is you? no-one lives in a vacuum.

another reason I don't see that there's an "authentic" you is that we're always playing some role. There's "you" with your spouse, you as a parent, you as a child, you as an employee/employer, you as a citizen etc. etc. etc. The rules are always changing.

people in twi behaved differently depending on who's around. believers, leadership, unbelievers etc etc etc.

Those would be examples of what I define as "identities".

An example of what I would call a "genuine self" would be a person who is a musician at their very core.

That person may behave differently in various situations, work at a non-music related job and even abstain from musical expression if their cult so dictates.

But, deep inside, they never lose that "genuine self" which is, in the rawest form, a musician.

Or, as John Lee Hooker said, "It's in him and it's gotta come out".

Edited by waysider

For me the true self emerges in one as one is ready to lay aside ego and its endless facades. Like the lotus, humans find themselves submerged in the mud of ignorance, selfishness and pride. As the lotus emerges from its dank surroundings, it becomes what many cultures consider a symbol of purity and truth. For me, its unfolding of petals is analogous to the process that people go through in shedding their provisional false identities until they are ready to stand naked and unabashed before all creation.

For me the true self emerges in one as one is ready to lay aside ego and its endless facades. Like the lotus, humans find themselves submerged in the mud of ignorance, selfishness and pride. As the lotus emerges from its dank surroundings, it becomes what many cultures consider a symbol of purity and truth. For me, its unfolding of petals is analogous to the process that people go through in shedding their provisional false identities until they are ready to stand naked and unabashed before all creation.

this is just so cool! where do i send my offerings and when can i move into the compound? i'm just teasing. this does describe so well what i am going through and have been going through for a few years now, and i've even done some "homework" where i can stand naked before my mirror and look at myself and not be afraid or ashamed or feel ugly or have the urge to quick grab a robe and hide it all.

some of that is basic social skillsets. i've read studies showing that large amounts of change necessary to fulfill a given role from natural tendencies is a major source of stress.

ideally you would just live the "authentic" you despite the role, yet that would usually generate huge amounts of conflict. the reality is somewhere in the middle. the best job, spouse, relationships for a person would be those where the natural or "authentic" you would involve the least amount of role playing.

scriptures direct your "love to be without hypocrisy", or that the more genuinely from a love motivation an individual lives, the less they have to wear the masks of those roles.

yes people in twi are among the worst at quoting those scriptures and living completely differently. the little power structures in the org drive people to hypocrisy along with their weak morals.

the "authentic" you would be the one in a vacuum. or the one in a vacuum that doesn't involve the baser human vices of nature.

Hmmm...

The "real me". I'm "The Dad". Also known as "The Hubbie DreamBoat".

If I lived in a vacuum with no one to do anything for and no one doing anything for me, there'd just be me, my lint and I.

Come to think of it, that's a party right there!

I often forget this is as much a discussion board about who, what and why something was in Way world, as it is anything about who, what and why something is now. (and maybe moreso) Living in the past is kind of weird. Authentic? Dunno.

Yah, that'd be worse than living next to the Hoover, dammit alright! It would definitely suck.

I may be the only person here who can get arrested for standing naked in front of my mirror so that's not a goal of mine, personally speaking. I like clothes. Clothes rock. The right threads make the day. Or is it the other way around? I'm not sure. I've got a black crew neck shirt, long sleeve. Kills. I'm not sure if it's me making it look good, or the other way around. I'm really hoping it's not the shirt making me look good because that would well, just crush me. I may have to get used to it though, difficult though it may be. Threads - so complicated.

If I lived in a vacuum with no one to do anything for and no one doing anything for me, there'd just be me, my lint and I.

Hot d@mn. Me and my belly button lint. Now that's authentic. Authentically scary. I'll stick to my measly existence outside the vacuum.

I've been reading some book by a Dr. McNamara fellow. "acculturation" is I think part of what I was describing. It happens before you're two, while the brain is developing. It's like the first language you learn. It isn't your choice but it happens and stays put. You can work around it but not with ease.

so yes twi, like western values and the english language, will always be at my foundation. IMO.