GreaseSpot Cafe

Grass Mowing 101

skyrider

LOL Rascal.... Mine (yes a Corps grad) has picture hanging righteousness... Cracks me up every time... God forbid I should make ANY holes in the wall to hang pictures. I tend to ignore it... coming on to GSC has been for me an exercise in recognizing his leftover learned Corps craziness..... I will say he has never once told me to use less bathroom tissue so for that I will now be eternally thankful... HEhehe

but I do get irritated at his expectation that all electronic devices(hairdryers TV's etc) will last for ever if properly cared for.

And his belief that no matter how clean and orderly the house is, it is never truly clean.

Took me a long time to learn this was some bizzarro Corps training thing that was just not logical and to ignore it too.

I heard enough teaching from my short stint as a non corps.. corps spouse to realize they were not logical on lots of things.

I haven't been able to find anything in the scriptures about being made righteous by frugal use of toilet paper, no holes in the walls, or no dust bunnies under the beds; or for that matter, the number of spiders that set up happy housekeeping in the basement.

Guess I just don't have that old in-depth spiritual awareness and perception.

WG

Yeah twiglet. Mine still has leftover corpes training issu er standards. I just make darned sure he washes his hands good cause I don`t EVEN wanna think about how much 3 squares is not absorbing.

It took a while for me too to realize that his expectations were unrealistic.

I think that old corpes standard bred a lot of ocd ok ok anal behavior. My corpes grad finally moved out to the moble home where he can keep his carpet vaccumed in rows and his sink clean etc. cause with 7 kiddos to raise...it sure isn`t going to happen here...lol

I told him once that the accumulated dust and dirty windows was my personal rebellion against the absurdly rediculous twi doctrine concerning devil spirits and dust bunnies :)

Maybe we should start a new topic....MY house is so indecent and out of order thaaaaat....

Edited by rascal

I'm so so glad we are not part of the Cleanliness IS Godliness insanity now. I do like to have a functional house--you can find a clean spoon when you want one, or you can walk to the kitchen at night without tripping on anything(well, except the cats). I like colors to blend, not clash. But i am glad I don't have some impersonal motel lobby type living room. Mine is full of books, magazines,plants, knicknacks, pictures, cats--TWI would never accept it as decent!

Sheesh, if the laundry is piled up it is likely because there has been NO Time due to extra activities on the schedule etc, not due to spiritual disease!

The expectations were not harsh if that's the way you're wired. There are many people who keep that kind of house and who live that sort of life. I say fabulous. What is not fabulous is when you aren't wired that way and are somehow expected to conform. Again, I think that when people live together, it needs to be in the spirit of cooperation. No one should have to deal with a wildly messy individual in shared quarters, and no one should be required to live where only perfection is permitted if they aren't wired that way.

It's one thing to like a clean house and not mind spending time doing those kind of things. It's even great when everyone pitches in to help. What is not great is when someone else determines what is clean and then insists that you live up to that standard when it's not their house.

What's even worse is when you call on other people to help provide that standard and expect them to give that time and offer nothing in return except that one should feel "blessed" to do it.

Well I agree Tazia but Corps training took it about ten steps beyond where neat people live and right into the relm of the OCD

Please understand I had a cleaning business for 15 years.

I am also a person who likes a clean house. but I had people commenting on how spotless my house was and him saying it was just okay(in that Corps sneer)... so I had to pray about it a lot and find my own place of comfort in it all.

He still occasionally does a rant about how it is not spot less.. ( and I reply with if it is not to your standards you know where the cleaning supplies are.) But it took me a long time to get to this place. (BTW he has an office which is far from spotless)

My home is clean by most everyone's standards but TWI

And I grew up in a messy home so I know when it is beyond where it ought to be.

We built this house and moved in in September, 2003. A couple weeks after moving and arranging and rearranging, a few things were still in boxes. It was a Sunday afternoon; we went to a church in the town we had moved from, and had gotten home and here comes this family who have moved into the newly built house down the street from us, same builder. She announces she is here to see my house. She has her 3 year old son and two preteen girls in tow. It was kind of messy, I said, just moving in and all, but I would be glad to give her the tour.

Well, lo and behold, I hadn't made my bed before scuttling off to church that morning. She had a screaming dang fit at me. She actually told me that SHE NEVER ALLOWS HER CHILDREN TO LEAVE THEIR ROOMS IN THE MORNING UNTIL THEIR BEDS ARE MADE. THEY DO IT THE MINUTE THEY WAKE UP. "Don't look at Mrs. Garden's room, girls, you know I don't allow that in my home!"

The emotions from TWI just came flooding up. I was instantly shamed, inferior, worthless and useless. I hadn't made my bed the instant I got up. Feet hit the floor, do a 180 turn, make that bed up like at the Hilton! And this woman judged me and categorized me by the fact that that one time I had not made my bed, rushing to get up and drive 20 miles to church on a Sunday morning. She didn't need to know anything else about me to weigh me in the balance and find me wanting. I disliked and distrusted her instantly and I still do to this day!

This same darn woman went to church with us for a while. Unfortunately, nothing suited her there either, and she quit coming in a big huff.

Her husband is a very nice, if somewhat browbeaten individual. But after that, I could not stomach her. She sees me every so often in the grocery and talks about coming over for coffee, since we both work out of our homes, but the next time she brings it up, I am just going to very sweetly say, "Oh, *****, I could never possibly get my house clean enough for you to feel comfortable in it. Sorry."

I don't keep my house flawlessly immaculate or immaculately flawless. I realize that probably offends many of you. Well if it bugs you that much, PM me and you can come right over and bring a mop!

:P

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

He still occasionally does a rant about how it is not spotless (and I reply with if it is not to your standards you know where the cleaning supplies are.) But it took me a long time to get to this place. (BTW he has an office which is far from spotless).

Leafy, you have not got your husband well trained enough.

You need to tell him that with his extra special spiritual awareness, he needs to demonstrate how to wash, clean, polish, etc. Particularly in his office. Every day until he knows that you understand. Stand there gawkily while he demonstrates. Enquire carefully about the tiny fragment of dust that he left in the corner, and its spiritual significance. You really do need to learn all this stuff, don't you? And what better teacher than your wonderful husband?

(L :biglaugh: L)

You really haven't got him well trained enough if he thinks YOU are the one responsible for all the cleaning. He lives there too. If it's okay then it's okay. If he wants more, HE can do it. As well as whatever he does for a living.

Hasn't it been reported at the Cafe that they have eased up on the super-hyper-excellent cleanliness at HQ? Let it slip to "normal" levels?

Seriously - it can be hard to shrug off the "hyper" standard.

I had no trouble reverting to my natural messiness (and, WG, I've never made my bed as soon as I got out of it, not even in rez) but I sometimes see stuff at my church that's not immaculately tidy and start to twitch a bit. But then I think, the church is for the people, not the people for the church. And God doesn't mind if the seats or notice papers or something else, aren't in EXACTLY straight lines.

WG, you are not worthless, shameful or anything of the sort.

But your neighbor has problems.

So, unfortunately, do her kids.

She had a screaming dang fit at me. She actually told me that SHE NEVER ALLOWS HER CHILDREN TO LEAVE THEIR ROOMS IN THE MORNING UNTIL THEIR BEDS ARE MADE. THEY DO IT THE MINUTE THEY WAKE UP. "Don't look at Mrs. Garden's room, girls, you know I don't allow that in my home!"

The emotions from TWI just came flooding up. I was instantly shamed, inferior, worthless and useless. I hadn't made my bed the instant I got up. Feet hit the floor, do a 180 turn, make that bed up like at the Hilton! And this woman judged me and categorized me by the fact that that one time I had not made my bed, rushing to get up and drive 20 miles to church on a Sunday morning. She didn't need to know anything else about me to weigh me in the balance and find me wanting. I disliked and distrusted her instantly and I still do to this day!

You do "get" why she did all that? It was so she could see if she could somehow feel better.

Having grown up in such a critical home gave me all sorts of fast one-liners to deal with that sort of person.

1. You mean you don't air the bed out every day? Making the bed like that doesn't allow the sweat and whatever to dissipate properly. God knows how your kids have been kept from being sick all the time.

2. We take the Sabbath seriously here.

3. I was napping when you showed up at my door.

4. Yeah, I found out the world didn't end when the bed wasn't made.

5. My mom was so opinionated about how the bed should be made, that I've never done it since. (One step further - she was very critical of my cousin's wife making her kids make beds as toddlers, but not insisting they do it perfectly - not an it-getter)

In her defense - most people like that have no idea how they come across. That's apparent by her attempts to connect.

There was a woman, WC grad, on the left coast who was very like her. She was the most disciplined person I ever met. up at 4 am to SIT, pray with understanding, study Word, in 30-minute increments. She had a list of everything she had to do that day made out the day before, in 30-minute increments of time, until she reposed herself for peaceful slumber at midnight. Her children were all perfect, or beaten until they were. She was brimming with self-confidence. She knew that she knew that she knew that she knew that she was always, without exception completely perfect in every way. Her home always smelled of Pine-Sol, Clorox, and ammonia. She vacuumed twice a day. She scrubbed everything that could be scrubbed at least once on a daily basis. She scrubbed the walls of her house once a month - one time she invited me over as a guest and then allowed me the privilege of assisting her. There were certain things she did once a week, the same day of the week, the same time of the week. She grocery shopped on Monday morning. Between 11:00 and 11:30 PM Sunday she made out a grocery list and menu, and clipped coupons. At 8 am Monday she and her two youngest children were at the grocery store, list and coupons in hand. There was one day a week when she arrived at the car wash at 10 am every week.

And I guess what bugs me is I don't know if she did all that for the glory of God or the glory of TWI or for the glory of herself. People admired her extravagantly and thought she was the walking talking Prov 31:10-31; and I think she thought so too. But why? Her husband wasn't all that happy (don't ask me how I know, okay?)

I mean, I need to finish my work, get off this computer, make a meal, clean up afterward and run the vacuum before 24 comes on. But holy cow!

WG

Oh yeah and when we were kicked out of WFC, she told me that the moment I left WC's office I should have renewed my mind to the extent that I completely forgot everything that had happened for the last four months - wiped it out of my memory by the renewing of my mind until it was as if none of it had ever happened. Immediately. Booms-quick.

I wish I could do the same for her.

"So, unfortunately, do her kids."

Oh, yeah.

I wonder if some of these folks will arrive at the Judgment Seat and peer underneath, looking for dust bunnies, until the Lord says, "That's not what it was all about, dummy!"

WG ;-)

Just make sure your undies are all properly folded and your socks are all stored facing the same direction.

You just never know when some pipe smoking lunatic will sneak in for a mid-day inspection.

<_<

good heavens, WG. reading that all I could think is what a repressed life that poor woman had!

plus, I probably couldn't have ever gone into her house. the fumes would have given me an instant headache.

Waysider, I know exactly who and what you mean, and I just wish I'd had the nerve to stick a few mousetraps in the undies drawer!

That was just sick, I tell you, sick, sick, sick!

WG

For the rest of you, when we were in FLO, the individual who was the BL our first year announced he would be inspecting our dresser drawers. I had a fit; no one needs to check my drawers!

WG

LMAO!! no kidding twiglet... my husband still scowls in disgust when he suspects me of using more then three squares...amazing he still feels righteous with his toilet paper usage...

Some of ya'll might just wanna start a "I hate my man, I got hurt by my man through no fault of my own" thread (who knows likely even be valid to some degree since I sure won't limit my TP usage to 3 squares, nor will I (nor ever have) used a wooden spoon)) (but it seems to be, with some folks, a recurrent theme). I thought this thread was the topic of the idiot work programs of TWI. I didn't know it was about past-now-reaching-current marital issues with alleged Waybrain. Really - a new thread where several can seek truly helpful answers to your questions would be better for you perhaps - especially perhaps in a peer group.

Edited by RumRunner

Scuse me RR?? I don`t think anybody was intentionally *trashing their man*.... I don`t see where you read that *I hate my man* either, or where I feel he has *ruined my life*. If that is ever my intention, please be assured that I will start a thread to that effect.

I was under the impression that we were laughing at the stupidity of the work program/standard/protocol...ie anal behavior that was instilled and disguised as *attention to detail* while in the way corpes... which I thought was the topic of conversation.... some of it amusingly enough has carried over into present day. Sorry that my post doesn`t quite measure up to your standard as to what is acceptable within the parameters of this thread, but to me, your inexcusable alteration of my post and it`s intent was lacking in respect and your condescending snottiness about seeking help and answeres for marital problems in another thread is the REAL off topic post.

Edited by rascal

Ditto for me.. I suppose I should have added the part that if you knew how sweet and gentle and delightful my husband is in person it is a dead ringer of left over way corps behavior when he does these things.. They are so not a part of his own genuine personality that they stand out like a sore thumb.

And my first "Lecture "/"teaching I went to as a way corps spouse was some thing by the Matindale's where Donna taught us all the PROPER method to fold sheets which I liked because it was logical and I still use part of it to fold my sheets with a few modifications.. but then Loy got up and ranted for 30 minutes about why every one there should have a perfectly neat sock and underwear drawer and you could not possibly be right in your spiritual walk if you didn't know exactly how many pair of socks and how many pair of under ware you owned and how many were available in your drawer at all times.

Shirts and pants Must be hung with air able to circulate, neatly militarily organized etc etc.. and all tied into your spiritual walk.

I sat stunned wondering what I had gotten myself into.

Then there was the whole vacuum thing... I know all you Corps have heard this... when you use a vacuum you need to wipe it completly down to remove all dust particles and clean the bag out too. (When does any one have time for this stuff)

And the worst part about it all is I bought into so much of it too.. I felt hurt that hubby didn't think my house was clean enough.. I felt there was something wrong with me that I couldn't be spiritual enough to make the grade...I was sure I could pull it off if I worked hard enough... well guess what nothing was ever good enough until I finally stopped trying to live up to an impossible TWI standard.

If I had been older I would have said you know we are being unrealistic but I was pretty young when we got married and had not found my voice yet.

Edited by leafytwiglet

Clean the bag out!!!??? My new vacuum has Hepa filter bags made of cloth, and they are NOT reusable. Haven't bought another one yet, but they do say not to reuse.

Crikey! This guy must be doing his own cleaning now, and I wonder how picky he is if he does it himself.

WG

Clean the bag out!!!??? My new vacuum has Hepa filter bags made of cloth, and they are NOT reusable. Haven't bought another one yet, but they do say not to reuse.

Crikey! This guy must be doing his own cleaning now, and I wonder how picky he is if he does it himself.

WG

LOL that Vacuum stuff was straight from Corps.. Not my hubby thank the gods.

They had those big bulky Vacuums with the cloth bags,

I would not buy one ever, I prefer to remove my paper bag by two fingers grimacing and carrying it at arms length to the garbage and then washing my hands thoroughly. LOL. He thought that was ridiculous too!

edited to add

At that same talk we heard how When the Martindale's first met both sets of parents asked if they had seen each others rooms.. I believe Loy was always a bit OCD and Donna was apparently a slob at heart.

Edited by leafytwiglet

LOL that Vacuum stuff was straight from Corps.. Not my hubby thank the gods.

They had those big bulky Vacuums with the cloth bags,

Which is the reason why they needed to be emptied and wiped down. The dust from those bags was frightful and would have been better (from an allergan standpoint) if the rooms had been left unvacuumed.

• Upvote 1