GreaseSpot Cafe

Grass Mowing 101

skyrider

Along the same lines as *chair stringing 101*.............let's not forget Grass Mowing 101. Remember that corps promotional video (1981.??) where one of the key-noted corps-style confrontations is martindale lecturing on "attention to detail" to some 10th corps guy who missed a narrow strip of grass? Yeah....that's the ticket on this PROMOTIONAL VIDEO TO THE CORPS.......martindale sharing on something he has expertise in.......grass mowing.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

It was sooooooo juvenile.........so ridiculous. :rolleyes:

From my farming background experiences and driving a tractor at the age of 10..............this promotional video bordered on the absurd. Same thing as *weed pulling* during those 4-hour work shifts. Like so many things twi.........this video was trashed after a short run. Wonder why???..........lol

Mowing grass..............on a corps promotional video..................hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I like mowing grass. I'm a lawn guy. :biglaugh:

oh, I once had to weed Wierwille Road. The actual road. Make sure grass wasn't growing out of the cracks in the asphalt. :biglaugh:

I did enjoy the calm work all day alone.

oh, I once had to weed Wierwille Road. The actual road. Make sure grass wasn't growing out of the cracks in the asphalt. :biglaugh:

I guess they must have missed the "revelation" that you can accomplish the same thing with rock salt.

I worked in an amusement park when I was a kid.

That's how we kept the railroad track free and clear.

Works like a charm.

Edited by waysider

I guess they must have missed the "revelation" that you can accomplish the same thing with rock salt.

I worked in an amusement park when I was a kid.

That's how we kept the railroad track free and clear.

Works like a charm.

Well, they do have backpack sprayers with round-up.

but, now that you point it out . . .

it was an opportunity to grow spiritual and I blew it!! :asdf:

:biglaugh:

Yeah......I'm fully aware my farming background gave me a totally different perspective than what others experienced, learned, etc. It's just that......I was EXPECTING SO MUCH MORE from corps "training" and the juvenile indoctrination, treating all of us like know-nothings, grew tiresome and irritating.

Heck, I was pulling 24-foot discs, rod-weeders, chisels, and other implements behind my dad's John Deere tractor when martindale was out pushing his 24-inch lawn mower.

<_<

Hey, I liked mowing the grass too. Except when I got that ditch bit, sorry drain, whatever. But then I only did it in the extra evening sessions we all "volunteered" for, to get ready for RoA.

I liked chopping wood, too, for our exercise sessions on days when we didn't run.

I still enjoy chopping wood.

Along the same lines as *chair stringing 101*.............let's not forget Grass Mowing 101. Remember that corps promotional video (1981.??) where one of the key-noted corps-style confrontations is martindale lecturing on "attention to detail" to some 10th corps guy who missed a narrow strip of grass? Yeah....that's the ticket on this PROMOTIONAL VIDEO TO THE CORPS.......martindale sharing on something he has expertise in.......grass mowing.

We should do a sequel video with a martindale impersonater flipping burgers and damaging one, and a dude with a 10th corps nametag confronting him on it. Or better yet, a manager speaking Espanol and someone interpreting the confrontation.

Yeah.. I remember some little vignette with the loyster and those in charge of "gawd's landscaping"..

what and where was is..

but the *lesson* was "attention to detail".. like, "we don't want this place to look like hick city.. get somebody to move them rocks, mow and put them back.."

I thought at the time.. "haven't you ever heard of a weed whacker? Why do you need a CREW to move a number of multi-hundred pound rocks for?"

what a *moron*..

what do you think gawd made weed whackers for..

who knows.. maybe they couldn't "afford" modern contrivances and such.. when one has free labor to move rocks, why *waste* a couple of hundred bucks one could otherwise spend on an "excursion" to Cincinatti, or God knows where..

He was a freakin' genius. He got whole groups of people to move rocks without question or complaint, and who (in essence) paid for the "privilege" to do so.

On the other hand.. perhaps he happened to be an utter (slavishly obedient) moron who was *lucky* enough to be crowned by slick vic..

I can't think of any other place in the known world where he'd get a following like that on his own..

he IS moving items, not unlike rocks now, isn't he?

He was a freakin' genius. He got whole groups of people to move rocks without question or complaint, and who (in essence) paid for the "privilege" to do so.

And so later his just penance was to move large numbers of boxes without question or complaint at a minimum-wage salary?

What can Brown do for you?

And so later his just penance was to move large numbers of boxes without question or complaint at a minimum-wage salary?

What can Brown do for you?

The guy "runs" a Christian ministry (into the ground) and when cut loose (with a stipend) can do nothing better than exactly what he placed exceedingly high value on while he was at the helm.

Justice? Probably.

At least he gets paid to do it.

On the other hand.. perhaps he happened to be an utter (slavishly obedient) moron who was *lucky* enough to be crowned by slick vic..

Pretty much from the beginning, I was of the opinion that LCM was an arrogant dick-head.

What I can't figure out is what the rest of you EVER saw in him. <_< It appears that in retrospect, most of you had utter contempt for him, but not nearly enough to disengage yourself from the madness; and it apparently was madness. :(

Any of you Corps folks have to clean up the "cotton" from the cottonwoods out at Gunnison? :biglaugh:

While no one was cleaning cotton, they sure enjoyed having us maul the cottonwood to death. They had nothing left after all the pine was split, so out came the cottonwood.. Yeah, go at that for a couple weeks! lol..

While no one was cleaning cotton, they sure enjoyed having us maul the cottonwood to death. They had nothing left after all the pine was split, so out came the cottonwood.. Yeah, go at that for a couple weeks! lol..

Hammering on that cotton wood was so stupid. The mauls would just bounce right off. I got clean cotton off the log cabins though with a "webster". Good times. LCM got so iritated with the cotton he issued the edict to cut them all down on Camp G property. Such a jackhole. The whole valley is full of cottonwood trees. Cutting down a few hundred trees doesn't even put a dent in it, and the cotton blows right over from the neighbors. Good use of the work force, craiggers! When the labor is free I guess you don't give it much thought. Think of how expensive and worthless the project would be if they actually had to pay the workers.

Pretty much from the beginning, I was of the opinion that LCM was an arrogant dick-head.

What I can't figure out is what the rest of you EVER saw in him. <_< It appears that in retrospect, most of you had utter contempt for him, but not nearly enough to disengage yourself from the madness; and it apparently was madness. :(

You gotta remember......lcm was "crowned" by wierwille himself. Wierwille handpicked this guy.....and wierwille walked by revelation doncha know? lol

Heck, some left twi only to follow the insanity of geer.......or the arrogance of lynn.

<_<

i wish tim graves was here so he could share about brick brushing 101. i think it was kenyon or some building like that. they had to scrub down the bricks and they were supposed to remember the next day where they left off ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Any of you Corps folks have to clean up the "cotton" from the cottonwoods out at Gunnison? :biglaugh:

Looks like I missed out on a real treat here. :unsure:

i wish tim graves was here so he could share about brick brushing 101. i think it was kenyon or some building like that. they had to scrub down the bricks and they were supposed to remember the next day where they left off ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Along with 'brick brushing 101'...............add toilet paper 101.

Is it "best" to have toilet paper dispense "over the top" or "underneath?" Can one sufficiently wipe with just 3 squares of toilet paper tissue? Is that "hotel hospitality" (making a little triangle to show you care) really necessary?

<_<

wish tim graves was here so he could share about brick brushing 101. i think it was kenyon or some building like that. they had to scrub down the bricks and they were supposed to remember the next day where they left off ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I had to clean the coffee off my screen on that one

I do have training in Banana Prep 101.

This means cutting off the top (the bit where it fixed to the plant) very neatly, close to the edible part of the fruit, but not so close that the edible part was exposed.

This looked neater, and made it easier to open the banana, should one insist on opening the banana at that end. (Yeah, right.)

Considerable time on Kitchen Crew was spent sawing the tops off bananas. Redeeming the time, doncha know.

Of course, we were also instructed (as a Corps) that bananas were best opened from the other end.

Edited by Twinky

Along with 'brick brushing 101'...............add toilet paper 101.

Is it "best" to have toilet paper dispense "over the top" or "underneath?" Can one sufficiently wipe with just 3 squares of toilet paper tissue? Is that "hotel hospitality" (making a little triangle to show you care) really necessary?

<_<

I like the little triangle... I know the bathroom has been cleaned recently then. And I can yell FIRST!

Three squares are not enough ....EVER!