GreaseSpot Cafe

How about not being anonymous.

JeffSjo

Two different posters have already offered me the names of another poster each. And I will simply not act on any second hand info because I feel that would be violating the anonymity policy of the Greasespot Cafe. Besides, how the heck would I know that they were not just testing me.

Good for you not acting on that information Jeff.

I have the right to tell you who I am - I don't have the right to tell you who another poster is, especially if you and I don't know each other. Afterall, you may say that you're XXX XXXX my WOW brother from XXXXXX, XXXXX 197X, but how do I know you're not really L)nder?

*Please note - I have no idea who you are and I'm not accusing you of being any of the TWI scumbags.*

Edited by doojable

I'm perfectly happy leaving out my legal name.

That doesn't make me as anonymous as you think- my screen-name has travelled in some

unusual circles, and you can find out more interesting things about me by my screen-name

than by my legal name.

Partly that's to avoid trouble with authorities down the line- seeking jobs or what-have-you.

Part of it is to starve out future cyberstalkers (yes, I've had one already.)

Good thing for me I don't connect my legal name with my screen name(s).

I get a reputation for being who I am as a person- not what my legal name is.

Frankly, I'm happier with THAT kind of reputation.

You'd be surprised how many people are happy using screen names with friends and so on.

I have some good friends who I have to think really hard to remember their legal names.

Unless I was mailing them something, it's not like I'd need to know, anyway.

Dear Rumrunner,

I think I will out the outers unless they give account for their actions out here in broad daylight.

One of them I have a feeling for his motives and my gut tells me it may have even been by permission. But an anonymity policy is a policy after all. I will give him the chance to come clean right here.

The other one I don't have any gut feeling for because of lack of conversation between us and I have no idea why he offered a name or if it was complete b.s., but I will give him a chance to come clean right here.

Interestingly, these two guys are two of the less than anonymous posters here and long time GS members.

Dear Doojable,

In my case it is not too hard to verify my identity. :B)

But I don't even feel close to having run out of things that I may feel that need to be said about them, and every new person that comes around seems to get me feeling fired up all over again.

I think that my decision to try to help TWI victims, even in the relatively insignificant ways that I am able makes me someone that TWI would generally not want to have around. I believe they feel that I have already done more damage to them than a mole might be worth to them, but that is only because I believe they are uptight to the point of being permanently constipated. :jump:

I was going to stay out of this discussion but I feel like the issue of anonymity on GS and how that relates to people's personal reasons for being here seems like an issue. A comment and a couple pieces of advice:

Of the 1,000's of people that have been or are involved in the Way over the years, a few hundred have registered and post here, some a lot, some a little, some not at all. Geographshically, chronologically, it covers a lot of people, times and places. Plus, as you note others like yourself have no direct experience with the Way Int'l. itself, but the groups and ministries that have generated from their members. And couple points to remember is that in nearly all cases of the better known and populated groups, those who are no longer involved at all with the Way but have started their own activities have a reason why they're not still involved with the Way directly - they may express those reasons benevolently but the reasons will be based on some form or level of dissatisfaction or disagreement. I can't name them all from memory but I'd bet a fairly stale doughnut on that statement. Likewise - the Way itself hasn't historically favored or supported anyone leaving their direct membership relationship with the Way, moving on and out in their own operations. They have no formally recognized affiliates or partners. You're either with 'em or agin 'em, by their definitions. So in ex-Way world you're either in or out. In that way, everyone who isn't "in" has a common connection, although it may not be one that's meaningful to everyone "out" in any way.

Your desire to be a thorn in these people's sides, for whatever reasons, is evident. You want to make a difference in a way you believe will be meaningful. I'm not suggesting that you not do what you do. That's up to you and by all appearances you have substantial reason to go your current route. Expressing your dissatisfaction, the reasons and proposing solutions is healthy.

My advice on the identity question, anonymity, etc. is to remember - personal contact with those who participate on this board is a personal decision. Exchanges about the board and the participants done offline, email, phone, in person, etc. are personal decisions. Who says what off the board is up to them, you, whoever. Whomever. Whatever. Samw as what people put on the board.

The rules of the GS board don't require a person to identify who they "really" are on the board, in fact anonymity is A "PROTECTED" part of participation.

If you have a problem with what someone's doing offline I suggest you take it up with them and if you don't like it tell them to stop.

If you have a problem you can't correct with what someone's doing offline that reflects on what's going on - on the board, I suggest you take it up with the owner of the board and it's moderators to determine a course of action to resolve it.

Otherwise I suggest you deal with it personally. There's no "outting the outter" on the board allowed here. You don' t break one rule to make a point about another.

I for one could give a rats asz what you or anyone else divulge, reveal, share, confess, tell, report or otherwise communicate with each other offline. I don't want to know who said what and what they did wrong. That's your personal business.

The only exception to that IMO would be if there's reason to believe there's some kind of threat or risk imminent based on what you're getting. In that case, I'd suggest taking whatever immediate action is reasonable to prevent it be it a post or notification to the board's owner.

I don't mean this harshly, but in expressing my opinion I just want to be clear.

Agreed. GSC is a forum - not a world. Who you call, email etc is your biz.

My advice on the identity question, anonymity, etc. is to remember - personal contact with those who participate on this board is a personal decision. Exchanges about the board and the participants done offline, email, phone, in person, etc. are personal decisions. Who says what off the board is up to them, you, whoever. Whomever. Whatever. Samw as what people put on the board.

The rules of the GS board don't require a person to identify who they "really" are on the board, in fact anonymity is A "PROTECTED" part of participation.

If you have a problem with what someone's doing offline I suggest you take it up with them and if you don't like it tell them to stop.

If you have a problem you can't correct with what someone's doing offline that reflects on what's going on - on the board, I suggest you take it up with the owner of the board and it's moderators to determine a course of action to resolve it.

Otherwise I suggest you deal with it personally. There's no "outting the outter" on the board allowed here. You don' t break one rule to make a point about another.

I for one could give a rats asz what you or anyone else divulge, reveal, share, confess, tell, report or otherwise communicate with each other offline. I don't want to know who said what and what they did wrong. That's your personal business.

The only exception to that IMO would be if there's reason to believe there's some kind of threat or risk imminent based on what you're getting. In that case, I'd suggest taking whatever immediate action is reasonable to prevent it be it a post or notification to the board's owner.

I don't mean this harshly, but in expressing my opinion I just want to be clear.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents here, I came here not intending to make friends, I really only came here for information and clarity, my past with twi was a real puzzle with many missing pieces till I started reading GS.  I've received what I came here for, the information I needed, I'm not sure I'm looking for close friends-lets hang out friends from GS, it's not out of the question, I suppose it could happen as a byproduct of posting here, but it is not what I'm necessarily looking for here, and I don't think GS is gonna necessarily provide that..you know?

Funny though, I've corresponded with almost everyone on this thread thru private message, chatroom or email at one time or another....

Edited by now I see

What Wordwolf says about knowing people by their screen name and having to think of their real name...

I never had a nickname in my life. Never. Through all my school days and student days and all the rest ... till I came to the Cafe. And I needed a screen name. And I thought of my then (now deceased) cat Twinkletoes (Twinky). Seemed good enough.

So that became my screen name and is gradually creeping into other names (e-addresses) and now finally I have a nickname and I am named after my cat...!

And even that is getting "nicknamed" shorter...

Twinx

Your desire to be a thorn in these people's sides, for whatever reasons, is evident. You want to make a difference in a way you believe will be meaningful. I'm not suggesting that you not do what you do. That's up to you and by all appearances you have substantial reason to go your current route. Expressing your dissatisfaction, the reasons and proposing solutions is healthy.

With my splinter group background it seems evident to me that I have become a little to accustome to forcing the issues that I feel need to be faced upon those who are either decieved or have some sort of insanity that seems to be at the base of some kind of group think that is going to a very bad place.

While bringing issues up like I just did has become kind of a habit while fighting for things to become better in dismal circumstances it seems clear to me now that my intention to post the outers less than anonymous avatar names is a mistake.

What you refer to as "desire to be a thorn in these people's sides" I think is sometimes just the fact that I was forced to resort to such things in order to discuss things that I felt truly needed to be discussed.

Actually, I'd prefer to discuss it with both of them or either of them because I would really like to know what was behind the fact that they offered me a name for a poster each. But I'm fairly certain that is unlikely. I am content to let it be known that if anyone is even thinking of trying to jerk me around by baiting or name dropping another poster's name that I will not let it effect the content of my posts or my reactions to another's post. But if I am feeling like I may be being jerked around by such tactics my annoyance may come out in my posts.

But I am glad that I brought up that this was a consideration of mine, and I am glad to consider your response Socks.

I think that you are right in suggesting this as a generally good course of action.

All weekend it seemed obvious that since these two that offered me a name have less than anonymous avatar names the repurcussions of my outing them using only their avatar names would be too harsh.

Since I've come to the Greasespot a lot of the conversation is about hidden things that need to be outed, both for the sake of those that are/were involved and for others who have the right to know what TWI is/was all about.

And even from a poster for whom another gave me a name, and whose content I have come to rely on too a certain degree I feel may be a little soft when it comes to things being brought out in the open. But it may just be that I am not aware of certain related concerns.

But things actually being shouted from roof tops as justice sometimes requires is a somewhat rude act. But doing it to those who DON'T REALLY DESERVE TO BE OUTED is certainly no better.

For what it may be worth to you Socks, your post doesn't seem harsh to me at all. I'd call it thought provokingly pointed; kind of a good thing if you will.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, Jeff.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that whatever a person believes, be it good or great and in service to the greatest of causes, they can easily go to extremes that will bring harm to others.

Don't fool yourself - read what goes on posting at GS. There are people holding grudges years and years and long after the fact, angry, unresolved, who consider harm coming to the Way and it's people to be a good thing, something they deserve, and "them getting what's coming to them". I have no doubt there are people impacted on all sides of the discussion who harbor ill will to those who cross them.

I don't mess with that kind of sentiment, or the people who carry it. I left the Way to avoid confrontations that would only end badly. I determined to move on. It may be that my continued participation here runs at cross purposes to that. More and more I've come to feel that GS floats that boat, albeit unintentionally at times.

I've always contended that if someone feels they've been wronged and have a legitimate grievance they should pursue whatever legal actions they deem appropriate to rectify the situation. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the well wishing Socks.

It has been a weekend plus full of considerations why I went too far this time. But just the very fact that I shared my intentions without forcing someone to feel pressure for their actions in an underserving manner does not seem like the worst that could have happened. After all, I might have actually done it instead of just sharing my intentions.

But that being said I am in kind of a "what now for me" moment in my life.

Just the fact that this thread has forced me to consider how that I am used to being in unreasonable situations with mostly unworkable solutions may be a good thing, if I now focus on moving towards relationships with real people. I now realize that a more normal life will possibly not include the extremes that I am perhaps too used to. You know, focus on my life, and not even so much what is going on with all of you here at the Greasespot.

For me, because of my view of the uses and limitations of anonymity along with my very limited cyber footprint (Greasespot and E-mail only) leaving the Greasespot is leaving all of you too. And the possibilities and the annoyances dissappear just as quickly as the computer leaves this sight when I log off the computer.

There are some things that happened here that seem a little amazing too, but with nobody to share it with it may be good to relegate these things to the files in my life of fights that have been fought in the past. Being alone with these memories without friends to share in even small victories is getting real old for me.

Take Care and God Bless.

JEFF

I don't use my real name simply because I don't want it all over the internet. I would have no problem telling anyone in a private message though.

Garth, the kraut term was uncalled for. Hate vp all you want but that doesn't give you the right to use slurs like that.

I don't use my real name simply because I don't want it all over the internet. I would have no problem telling anyone in a private message though.

Garth, the kraut term was uncalled for. Hate vp all you want but that doesn't give you the right to use slurs like that.

I agree,I do not want my name all over the internet,Always happy to express myself,Jeff,If ya want friends,be yourself.Here you can be who,what,

ect ya always wanna be,You are ot of the cult!!Express yourself.

Suppose I come on here and reveal that my real name is Joe Sloppybutt.

So what?

How does that change any kind of honest exchange that takes place?

(I think I'll stick with "waysider"---at least for now.)

Edited by waysider

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the cyber-stalking issue is pretty simple. I go to the Greasespot, I have a Gmail account, and I use the library computer. And even though I don't understand computer capabilities very well, I feel like saying,"Stalk away psychos!"

And while I sooo clearly recognize peoples' perogatives and rights in the category of anonymity i just choose to go the other direction in a big way.

Besides, while I have gained a lot from a lot of you "anonymous ones" here at this site anonymity has it's limitations. And most of those limitations fall into the category of "not as good or real a friendship as otherwise possible."

So while I like and fully support everyone's right to choose for themselves I started this thread to throw out the idea that it could be better. But right along with that I recognize that it is riskier to go my route.

Sorry Bluze, but VPW deserves that term, ... at the very *least*! After what he's done to people. And he deserves worse terms, but Paw would ban me for usage of said terms. ... Why don't you ask Excathedera if what I say about VPW is inappropriate. <_<

So kraut will have to do for the time being.

Sorry Bluze, but VPW deserves that term, ... at the very *least*! After what he's done to people. And he deserves worse terms, but Paw would ban me for usage of said terms. ... Why don't you ask Excathedera if what I say about VPW is inappropriate. <_<

So kraut will have to do for the time being.

Dunno Garth - kraut is kind of a nationalistic slur - how about we go with politically correct, gender neutral etc etc - something like

Drunken slob, one-eyed cyclops of christendom, woman abuser, vicious pig, rapist, bag of infected fecal matter, left over scum from the pimple on a dogs butt, thief, liar, oh the heck with it - I could just go on forever being politically correct and describing the piece of waste he was.

... Ie., he was a kraut.

Now when I hear from the National Association for the Advancement of Germanic Peoples (NAAGP) complaining that I have committed a Hate Crime against Der Fatherland by such heinous verbiage, ...

... I'll still call him ... a kraut.

:spy:

P.S., besides, think of all the dogs who would be insulted because I would have made a derogatory remark about their butts, and the pimples thereon, by comparing them to VPW, ... hhmmm?

:P

Edited by GarthP2000

P.S., besides, think of all the dogs who would be insulted because I would have made a derogatory remark about their butts, and the pimples thereon, by comparing them to VPW, ... hhmmm?

I stand corrected - no need to insult the dogs...thanks for saving me from the thought police!!!

Suppose I come on here and reveal that my real name is Joe Sloppybutt.

So what?

How does that change any kind of honest exchange that takes place?

(I think I'll stick with "waysider"---at least for now.)

HAH!!! you just don't want us to call you Joe slobbybutt! ;)