GreaseSpot Cafe

The Ribbon of Fear

waysider

By now, most people are familiar with the meaning of "grease spot by midnight". Way doctrine states that God puts a special "hedge of protection" around those who band together as "one true household". Leaving the household places one on the outside of the hedge and thus openly vulnerable to attacks by "the adversary". The common idea that was promoted was that once you were in the household, it would never be safe for you to venture outside. You could become a grease spot in the road by midnight. This concept is fairly straightforward and easily understood. As such, it is also easily debunked. You leave, it doesn't happen---end of story.

However, there is another fear motivated concept, that I will call "the ribbon of fear", that is much more complex. It's woven throughout the PFAL series of classes. Simply stated, it's the concept that the devil can (and probably will) possess you unless you force your mind to conform to Way doctrine, otherwise known within the organization as The Word. Bits and pieces of this concept are strewn throughout the various classes.

Starting in session seven of PFAL, we learn that Eve's folly was to give careful consideration to what she was hearing. The admonition here is that if one allows their mind to think freely, they could find themself in a perilous predicament just as Eve did. Thus, it is best to not even consider conflicting ideas. In the Intermediate Class, we learn that if our mind is kept preoccupied with speaking in tongues, the spirit inside us will grow stronger and thus repel such attacks. And, we must use endless repetition of Way doctrine to replace genuine thoughts. There are two classes, Dealing With The Adversary and Renewed Mind, that are expressly devoted to promoting this very doctrine. Then, in the AC, we learn that, even if a devil spirit is cast out, it can and will come back unless the person follows this doctrine. In fact, we learn that it will probably come back with addition friends and make the situation even worse. The solution? Never allow your mind to consider thoughts that contradict Way doctrine.

Here are just a few examples of "sprinklings" from classes.

page 19---AC

"A born-again saved believer may become afflicted with evil spirits. The spirits may affect or possess mind and/or body, but not spirit."

page 17---AC

"They are the cause of mental and physical disease."

"They can pass in and out of men and even animals."

"Satan may enter divine presence at any time."

page 7---DWA

HOW WE STAND AGAINST THE DEVIL

"You must know HOW God operates.

(The PFAL classes have certainly outlined his step by step operation)

You must have a spiritual connection line, a system for communicating with God.

(The manifestations and their usage provide this.)

You must have the proper keys for making yourself subject to God in your walk.

(The Renewed Mind is your Key to Power.)"

page 6---DWA

The Battlefield is in the Mind

The way to capture any man in anything is to get him to think like you want him to think. IDEAS CAPTURE MEN NOT WEAPONS. If we win a man's thinking in his mind, if we capture his thoughts, we can indicate and control his actions.

It goes on and on and on, woven like a ribbon throughout all the classes.

That's the stuff that's so hard to initially untangle from your own thoughts.

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 3

I think you've raised an excellent point - the fear used to keep members from questioning twi teachings. It's an important one especially for anyone wrestling with old twi doctrines and trying to decide which ones are "accurate" and which ones to toss out (I say begin by learning how documents in the bible became scripture in the first place, who wrote them and when, etc. but that's another topic).

IMO opinion, the problem persists even post-twi. Many twi splinter groups seem to miss this point entirely because they continue to propound twi teachings.

Anyhow, thanks for the effort you put into describing this process of fear motivation used to get people to stick with twi's interpretation of the bible. Nothing like using the boogy man to make people afraid and keep 'em in line. It's an old method used by plenty of religions and groups around the world but becoming aware of it is the first step up to enlightenment, in my view.

ah, yes, many baby-boomers have succombed to lax thinking, giving a squadron of spurts an access, a host. These spurts are then able to go on Way runs, or sneak into the VPW PW Auditorium, holding a bible, and wearing, of all things . . . blue jeans!!

. . .

I think what's more important is not what is written, but how "believers" converse. They just sit there and make stuff up. So and so is possessed, it's so obvious . . . I can't explain that, therefore, spurts are involved . . . I don't feel I have the upper hand in this situation, so I'll make up a new doctrine in my head . . .

There were some verses on Jesus talking about how the spurts come back to an uncleaned home. Other verses on casting out spurts. This wasn't vpw's idea. He just sold the idea which assumed that this is all possible and that you and I can do it too, (but not as good as vpw.)

This is not outside of the realm of most of what passes for Christian teaching. The idea that we are continually under attack by the adversary for believing that Jesus is the Christ is taught in most evangelical/fundamentalist groups. Then you have the additional burden as a TWI believer that you are a special target of the adversary because of your more highly evolved doctrine.

I happen to believe this tactic was used to keep people from seeing a true cause and effect of the doctrine.

• Upvote 1

This is not outside of the realm of most of what passes for Christian teaching. The idea that we are continually under attack by the adversary for believing that Jesus is the Christ is taught in most evangelical/fundamentalist groups. Then you have the additional burden as a TWI believer that you are a special target of the adversary because of your more highly evolved doctrine.

I happen to believe this tactic was used to keep people from seeing a true cause and effect of the doctrine.

True, but in TWI, the idea was that it was imperative to make continual efforts to self delude yourself into accepting Way doctrine and rejecting all else ("En Guard!"-----DWA class) and you were to exercise a practice that helps turn off your critical thinking functions. (S.I.T. much-----PFAL classes I,II,III)

• Upvote 1

some argue prayer and bible reading serve that function of diverting one's thoughts

Building ships in bottles can serve the function of diverting one's thoughts, also, but none of these three examples actually causes the brain to shut down the part of itself that controls critical thinking in the same way as has been scientifically demonstrated with speaking in tongues. Now consider the effects of feeding the mind irrational thoughts while it's in a somewhat defenseless state.

• Upvote 1

shuts part of the brain down? or simply doesn't use it? those studies both support and degate arguments for SIT, depending on what your stance is.

. . . Now consider the effects of feeding the mind irrational thoughts while it's in a somewhat defenseless state.

jobs, classrooms, television, military . . . this happens everywhere.

• Upvote 1

shuts part of the brain down? or simply doesn't use it? those studies both support and degate arguments for SIT, depending on what your stance is.

jobs, classrooms, television, military . . . this happens everywhere.

It's not the same thing that happens when you speak in tongues.

http://www.religionandspirituality.com/view/post/11622754423000/Scientists_analyze_Pentecostals_brainwaves/

When you speak in tongues, the portion of your brain that governs your "sense of self" is measurably affected.

That does not appear to happen in these other circumstances you have cited.

We have done other threads about speaking in tongues.

If one desires to pursue that angle, it might be best to refer to those threads.

My inclusion of it in this discussion is to simply show that it played a role in this whole process of permeating our thinking with fear consciousness. In other words, we were told that without it, our spiritual defenses would be lacking.

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

This is not outside of the realm of most of what passes for Christian teaching. The idea that we are continually under attack by the adversary for believing that Jesus is the Christ is taught in most evangelical/fundamentalist groups.

I don't agree with this at all. . . other than perhaps TBN and Benny Hinn's ilk. . . Satan is mention something like 30 times in the NT. . . less in the OT. . . I think?. . . .People do not focus on this stuff. . . Many of these groups are becoming far more service oriented. . . . That seems like a broad generalization. If anything, they lay their trials at God's feet. Most evangelical groups believe strongly in the sovereignty of God. They believe Satan has to seek permission. . . so to speak. All is subject to God's will. . . .

How much more clear can "Resist the devil and he will flee" be. . . . ? How did we miss that in TWI. . . he was under every dust bunny and inside every book jacket. BOO!!

How much more clear can "Resist the devil and he will flee" be. . . . ? How did we miss that in TWI. . .

I'm not so sure we completely missed it but the process of resistance took on the stature of an almost unobtainable goal. Consider, for one example, the inordinate importance placed on retemories. En Guard!

It's not the same thing that happens when you speak in tongues.

http://www.religionandspirituality.com/view/post/11622754423000/Scientists_analyze_Pentecostals_brainwaves/

When you speak in tongues, the portion of your brain that governs your "sense of self" is measurably affected.

That does not appear to happen in these other circumstances you have cited.

We have done other threads about speaking in tongues.

If one desires to pursue that angle, it might be best to refer to those threads.

My inclusion of it in this discussion is to simply show that it played a role in this whole process of permeating our thinking with fear consciousness. In other words, we were told that without it, our spiritual defenses would be lacking.

It permeating people's thinking because they were sloppy, bottom line.

Studies on SIT are done all the time. You're simply not using your head.

Edited by Bolshevik

Building ships in bottles can serve the function of diverting one's thoughts, also, but none of these three examples actually causes the brain to shut down the part of itself that controls critical thinking in the same way as has been scientifically demonstrated with speaking in tongues. Now consider the effects of feeding the mind irrational thoughts while it's in a somewhat defenseless state.

I was talking about prayer and religious activity, not hobbies.

I don't remember SIT and being fed any info simultaneously, so any affect was simply absent mindedness. Information was fed to us at different times, after such things as, singing.

I don't understand your meaning.

what convinced you it was another language? what convinced you it was supernatural? what convinced you it was worthwhile?

The problems happened before SIT. When SIT, your brain is just in "sleep mode" so to speak.

what convinced you it was another language? what convinced you it was supernatural? what convinced you it was worthwhile?

The problems happened before SIT. When SIT, your brain is just in "sleep mode" so to speak.

Well, as I said before, this thread is really about the element of fear that is woven throughout TWI classes, not about SIT. SIT was just one contributing component. (IMO) But, the "ribbon of fear" is presented as early as session 7, even before the infamous sessions 11 & 12, where SIT was presented.

When I read the title of the thread.. to me it sounded like "yellow tape" of fear..

the little easily surmountable barrier to the scene of the crime..

actually.. isn't that what loy, donna and others put around scenes of "disaster"?

their lack of believing allowed their kid to die.. or be maimed.. etc. etc. ?

Well, as I said before, this thread is really about the element of fear that is woven throughout TWI classes, not about SIT. SIT was just one contributing component. (IMO) But, the "ribbon of fear" is presented as early as session 7, even before the infamous sessions 11 & 12, where SIT was presented.

well the whole class was dull, I was afraid I'd die of boredom.

I'm not so sure we completely missed it but the process of resistance took on the stature of an almost unobtainable goal. Consider, for one example, the inordinate importance placed on retemories. En Guard!

I really think you make sense. What happens when such an imperative(imagined) life and death goal is unreachable? Every single day? Anxiety, fear, dread, obsession. . . these are all things that can happen. No peace.

In a subtle way it is a relinquishing of coping skills. When bad things happened. . . we didn't deal with them in a normal fashion, there was the added burden of self-blame and shame for our lack of believing.

Very fear based . . .It was the fear in the heart and life of that mother!! Most of us didn't have that kind of fear until we took the class. . . . and became so enlightened.

The class was titled "Power for Abundant Living", playing on people's natural love and desire for power. If there was fear, it was of losing this power, which one never had to begin with.

Session seven

Listening with a porpoise

1. What are the five steps the serpent used to deceive Eve?

ANSWER

Step #1

He got Eve to QUESTION the integrity of "The Word".

etc., etc.

(Be careful---this could happen to you.)

2. Who has power and authority over the world today?

ANSWER

Satan

3. Where do sickness and death come from?

ANSWER

Satan

yada, yada, yada----

• Upvote 2

When I took it, it was recommended we don't take notes, but that was not mandatory.

The idea was that whoever thought that rule up was incapable of focusing on a class

while taking notes. Some of us, however, were excellent at doing that- and retained

material BETTER if we took notes.

At the end of the first segment, someone recommended I take my notes directly into

the syllabus rather than in a separate book. This made sense- I was juggling a syllabus,

Bible and a notebook. Taking notes into the syllabus meant I could put down the notebook.

Writing down questions was something else-I didn't have any of those written down.

• Upvote 1