GreaseSpot Cafe

Why they stay

copenhagen

Wayfers often mention other churches weren't teaching anything back in the 70s, that nobody has all the answers, no church/religion is perfect, and how do you know any church won't fall into what twi is accused of? Twi doesn't have the truth, and neither does anybody else.

They might have a point. If nothing out there is true, then nobody is lying either. Twi is as good as anything else. Why put the effort in to change one's view of things?

People get old and tired.

I disagree but I am only speaking of my personal experience,I am a non church person.But I believe there is Truth ! However TWI is NOT the source promoting it.

Wayfers often mention other churches weren't teaching anything back in the 70s, that nobody has all the answers, no church/religion is perfect, and how do you know any church won't fall into what twi is accused of? Twi doesn't have the truth, and neither does anybody else.

Other churches were teaching plenty back in the 70s. VPW himself went to an Oral Roberts seminar to learn to SIT. He was brought out on stage, etc. Then met Stiles in a coffee shop. VPW kind of founded a ministry out of other people's work. If you look at Stiles book on receiving the holy spirit, 70% of it is plagiarized in RHST. But that was VPW's way - survey the plenty of teaching out there, take parts of it and claim them as his own, then loudly trumpet the uniqueness of his teaching to elevate his standing. His successors have either mimic'd that or reverted back to the traditions of the elders as any dead denomination does.

Other churches can and will fall into virtually everything TWI is accused of. Leaders in churches have the same human nature and pride that any of the TWI leaders have. You regularly hear of power plays, sex scandals, political oustings, etc. You see the worst of religion in TWI. You see the worst of political struggling and power plays in the business world in TWI. At times you see the same in churches. Once people are saved by grace, their next step is to place themselves above their brother to judge.

They might have a point. If nothing out there is true, then nobody is lying either. Twi is as good as anything else. Why put the effort in to change one's view of things?

This type of logic is commonly used to keep people in TWI. "This is as good as it gets". "This organization isn't perfect, but it's the best available". "There are things you won't like about any group". TWI is worse than just about anything else you can find because of the controlling nature of it. To participate in classes, you need to disclose financial information that is nobody's business. People are involved in way too much to dictate what is done in personal lives. Plus on every level the bribery-based approval of the leader. It empowers some to place themselves above their brother to judge. And that leads to devestation.

Look - you can join a church and attend for a while. Then you can leave and go to another church. Most of your friends will remain friends. You can buy and sell houses, do business ventures, go to school and get a loan. None of this changes things. Not so with TWI. Only there will you find people who you've known for 20 years who will no longer speak to you. "I have no friends when it comes to the Word". There is the attitude of an elitist. There is a pull that is unhealthy. This attitude separates families, friends, marriages. It is definitely worse than a very large number of choices that could be made.

People get old and tired.

People are young and tired too. And in the case of TWI, the doctrine is old and tired. As is all the political posturing and bribery that is interwoven into their "household".

• Upvote 1

People stay because they get lazy, they are afraid, or they see no viable alternative. Why expend all that energy making decisions when there is someone else ready and willing to do that for you and pretty much harasses you if you don't? One doesn't have to worry about how to spend one's time, money, or what to think, because that's already been taken care of.

I do not believe that an aging wayfer is going to come to any "realizations". Their mindset will be the same as is was in the 70s.

I dunno..

maybe they haven't asked the "right" question yet..

if you ask it.. be afwaid, vewy, vewy, afwaid..

:biglaugh:

of course, if one gets the "answer".. well, maybe I shouldn't say..

there really is life beyond certainty..