GreaseSpot Cafe

This is so bizarre I can't think of a good topic title

GeorgeStGeorge

Perhaps. But maybe one has to define "reality".

As in.. "oh my gawd.. now I need a manicure to fix the effects of my desperate clawing.. etc. etc.."

so one updates one' profile on facebook.. "send in the beauticians and manicurists.."

I'm not saying I agree with it, I just understand it..

:biglaugh:

there are advantages to being seriously disturbed..

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Edited by Ham
  • Upvote 1

Well..

:biglaugh:

you can understand the *other* seriously disturbed.. but you don't have to agree with them exactly..

which is fine. Some think we are all insane fragments of Diety, trying to find their way home..

I'm not sure I entirely disagree..

• Upvote 1

Awwwww Waysider what fun is learning sumpthin' if'n ya can't use it????

Doctrine and practice, doctrine and practice. :)

I've been thinking about those girls. I bet if they were lost on a road, in a car with a full tank of gas, they'd blow up the car, hoping someone would see them!

George

I totally get it, but then I'm a mom of daughters. One puts everything ~! ~! ~! on her facebook, myspace, twitter, etc and so on. The other one doesn't even own a cellphone, have a myspace or facebook page, thankfully.

The article didn't surprise me.

How uncool to tell the story on facebook later after all the drama was done, better to get the OMG's right away while they can enjoy it.

Personally, I'd take the device, and equip them, instead, with a simple 911 phone, but I'm sure these girls are continuing to tell their dramatic tales on facebook and everywhere.

Or does this just show what fuddy-duddies we all are, not having the imagination to think of Facebook as a rescue device? :biglaugh:

Who missed out on raising these kids, not teaching them to call emergency services? Perhaps the kids didn't think it was an emergency - not life-threatening (yet) and no broken bones, etc.

Personally, I'd take the device, and equip them, instead, with a simple 911 phone, but I'm sure these girls are continuing to tell their dramatic tales on facebook and everywhere.

If you buy cell phones for your children - there is a simple program - no charge - nationally recognized - called ICE (In Case Of Emergency) Have your children (and you for that matter) enter one or more ICE numbers in your cell phone contacts list - ICE-1, ICE-2 etc etc. If there is a truly bad emergency US parameds are now trained to look at the cell phone and see if there are "ICE" numbers." It saves the paras from having to figure out who "John" or "Jane" is in the contacts list. You can also register the ICE numbers with local school districts as well as law enforcement agencies...and it saved one of my neighbors children. You can also register with child advocacy groups (which Shellon can comment more on) - if there are known cases of abusive family members (etc etc) you want a child advocated on call.

I, too, understand these young'ins doing this. My daughter will know my whereabouts (not at work) and text me instead of calling. Infuriates me. Hello, I love you. I love to hear your voice. We are on the same plan so mtm minutes are not used. Hello!!!

This facebook, and the other one (I am showing my fuddie duddie side, I don't remember the name) is so real and so much a part of these younger folks. These girls reached out and touched the ones that they knew they could relate to. They knew their friends would be there and help.

I am a firm believer in all is well that ends well. And then after lots of hugs and kisses..DON'T YOU EVER SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!!!!

My kids are attached to facebook and text all the time to update. My space isn't very popular with my kids and their friends. They have laptops through the highschool so all the kids have access. I think they have enough sense to call for an emergency if they have one, but facebook would probably be the next text.

I love my facebook account. I'm on my kids lists, and lots of their friends have friended me, which is odd but I hear lots of stuff. I'm amazed at how clever they are. One of my kids writes a blog that is so humorous. My brother who travels alot communicates mostly through facebook, my sis, neices and nephews, cousins who I rarely see, highschool friends of my own and of my brother and sister, my college roommates and a gal who took PFAL my wow year, my good friend who moved to Scotland--I hear from many of them weekly.. We post recipies, I post crochet patterns, my brother posts photos of his work. It's been very positive. We've been getting our Wyoming cousins(very few live in Wyoming now )on and are planning a cousin reunion. Even some of my cousins that can barely open an email post updates.

The girls used the medium that they thought would be best at the time. There's nothing to read into here - it's a cultural thing with the next generation. They are living life in tweets or short sentences of information about daily life events.

"Home from college for the weekend and enjoying warm brownies in bed."

"Gotta go out to eat with the parents. Text me."

"Another busy week. Rush Phi Cappa Tau."

Those are the tweets last week that my nieces and nephew posted on their FB accounts. Micro-glimpses into their lives. Information shared with a collective of friends/family.

I 'get it' why the girls used FB - it's what they use for everything else.

Perhaps the emergency departments should consider how to use FB to reach that generation.