GreaseSpot Cafe

Publication Departments

OldSkool

In the near future I will be posting some of the inner workings of the way internationals publication departments. I have a very close friend who is no longer in and worked in one of these departments for years.

To start with lets consider text citations. Text citations are common in scholarly works, especially research works. In fact they are a requisite. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, who has ever had to write a thesis for a *real* doctorate's degree would know that. ( I guess Pike's Peak Seminary had no such requirements :biglaugh:) A text citation would look like this (Stiles, 1953). The citation directs the reader to the reference list or bibliography at the end of the book.

Ok, most if not all departments at the way international's headquarters boast that they are amongst the best in the world in their respective fields. With such a boastful claim from a supposed research ministry one would expect their publications departments to the the best, of the best, of the best! But the publications departments at the way international does not even know how to produce a proper bibliography. The following quote should prove enlightening:

I worked with two people who were developing a bibliography for a book sometime around 2005. Both people had worked in the publications department for years and years and years... They had never done a bibliography before and were blown away at the work it took to get it right. It took two of them weeks and weeks to do what a professional editor or writer would have been able to do in a couple days.

I guess this is no surprise from a sham "research" ministry. It's amazing how Victor Paul Wierwille claimed to take the "truths" from everybody he learned from and put it together into one complete package of truth, yet not document his sources! Oh, wait, that's right. He threw his 3,000 book library into the city dump and then just read the bible after reading around it for so long. So which is it? Or maybe, like Simon the Sorcerer, he wanted everyone to think he was the great power of God. I guess his legacy is alive and well since they don't bother to cite sources, or even know how to make a bibliography.

Oh I forgot to mention that the department coordinator for this department frequently taught that "the world" cuts corners to get their publications done fast, but they don't cut corners to make their publications "the best."

One is required to use proper citation in any scholarly work, even in an introductory course in composition, in ones first college semester. My kids were taught how to cite sources properly, in MIDDLE SCHOOL.. at least by the ninth grade.

:biglaugh:

The part that is what's the word.. inconceivable.. citation is EASY. Very easy to do.. even before MS word included tools for citation.

There is really no excuse.. so they have a "world class" department of research and publication that can't muster up the ability of a ninth grader?

One reason one cites is to make it more than EASY for the reader to find ones sources. If it isn't because they are absolute morons, perhaps it is more insidious. perhaps they want to HIDE their sources. No names, no references, there must be a motive..

either way, they'd be on the street the first time someone challenged their little article or book.. in a REAL organization..

The part that is what's the word.. inconceivable.. citation is EASY. Very easy to do.. even before MS word included tools for citation.

This same department does all of it's editing and proofreading with pencil and paper. There were only two computers in the department that were used for typing memos, calendars, and job tracking.

amazing..

I have more computers than their whole stinking department..? Three printers in the house.. two computers in the office, one runs linux, the other windows.. a laptop, an *old* pentium 133 that does ham radio stuff for me.. runs dos 6.22.

Well, Rosalie believes that computers make people fast and sloppy. Plus, and I ain't making this up, there is something special that happens when one uses a pen and paper.

I can understand this.. not that I agree with her.

I think those of us who HAD to write out long papers before computers have a *slight* edge. Generally, the first draft looks a little better, quite a few less misspelled words.. the last several papers I wrote up, I ran the spell and grammar check and there were only one or two errors. But I don't think its because I had to type or write material.. seems if one is around long enough, and reads an adequate amount of material, one gains a sense of what looks "right"..

if about all they read is herr vicster's materials, maybe that explains part of their ineptness in documentation.

ORIGINAL works of fiction. smilie_kool_aid.gif

BTW, for anyone who has to cite according to APA format constantly (or MLA) this website rocks (but may make you FAST): SON OF CITATION MACHINE

I write a lot of papers, and this saves me a heckuvalota time.

APA Style was my best friend before I switched to MS Word 2007. After that I had to switch to Endnote.

It's been a long time since I've read anything from TWI's Publications Dept., but I imagine that a good deal of the problem with citations there is the lack of a traceable source for an original citation. "In Rev. ABC's article about DEF's study on GHI's paper concerning Origen's commentary on Galatians..." Assuming it wasn't all word-of mouth to begin with, :rolleyes: it might be hard for someone at HQ actually to FIND an original source for a quote.

You just have to read it in the original! :dance:

George

Dig up the body and see if the citations are engraved on the palms of the great plagiarist's hands.

Hello all,

Does The Way International have a Statement of Faith?

IF so, is there a link to it or a Copy and a forum I can tackle them about it?

Thanks

The Way has its own website. There are a couple of pro-TWI forums out there, too, but you won't be allowed to "tackle" them there.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge