GreaseSpot Cafe

Teepee Dude?

teachmevp

That was setup at the Rock of Ages every year that I can remember..I never met him that i know of...but I can remember the teepee.

I dont know exactly when or if TWI came out against Teepee's (How can you be against a type of dwelling??) but I'd guess it was sometime in the period when they morphed from a bunch of carefree hippies into a band of corporate clones in 3 piece suits carrying briefcases.

That was a really odd transformation to watch.

It took 5 or 10 years or so as i remember it...I dont know if they came out with a teepee 'doctrine', or when it actually stopped but Id guess that it followed that somehow.

The suits always loved making up new rules off the tops of their heads and out of thin air--usually about nothing

Edited by mstar1
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of teepees, didn't Del or Donnie or Bo or one of those guys from the early days just show up at HQ one day and set up a teepee in The Way Woods so he could be closer to the heart of it all? (Pre-Zero Corps days)

In fact, I think that might have been partly where the concept of learning "at the master's feet" came from.

(Not the Biblical version, of course) :biglaugh:

Edited by waysider

I'm sure you think you've heard a lot of things, no doubt about it.

I think I heard once that Indians, real Native American's once camped by the River Jordan and built teepee's where they dressed and cooked deer, hunted right there in the Way Woods. Dressed the meat using Holy Spirit dove pins, those old ones that had the big pins on the back, no kidding. Big ol' honkers. Ground them up in bowls ground from bricks taken from the east side of the old Weirwille home and grilled them right out in the open using buns bought at Adolf's who himself was of Apache heritage and who was sympathetic to them and gave them some real German/Apache deep discount on both buns and condiments. Really. This kindly gesture did in fact backfire, so to speak. Read on.

These were in fact the original "WOW" burgers, due an accidental seasoning of the meat with what they thought was local Paprika but was in fact Adolf's home blend of Red Hot Chili Peppers. (the L.A. band of the same name got their name from this through a chance encounter with a WOW Amabaasador who retold them the story, not having been their themselves but having heard it told first hand by one of the New Knoxville Fire Department who were called in to put out the "fire" not knowing the "red hot" blaze was from the burgers, not the fire! ) Everyone who tried one of those burgers that summer made the same sounds - "OW!!! OWWWWA WAAAA WOW!!!" which was mistaken for inspired action and utterance and immediately adopted as the name for the Way's original outreach program. The acronym "W.O.W". came later.

Finnegan's only association with that whole incidentses was that he was - this is true - the last guy to get one of the last burgers and who had heard the whole thing. At lesat that's the way I heard it. Pret' near sure that's the real deal though, but don't quote me.

I remember hearing it was Bo Reahard who showed up to live in the Way Woods -- before he entered the First Corps. It was, however, not Bo, who set up the tepee in the Camping Area ... I went to most of the ROAs from 1972 until the last one and I remember seeing the teepee in some of the early ones that were at Way HQ (they started there about 1977, I think -- before that were at Shelby County Fairgrounds in Sidney (after the original one at HQ in 1971) -- except for one VERY wet and awful year (1975) at the fairgrounds in Lima, Ohio. I believe the Teepee Guy was just someone from the part of the country where teepees are used that brought it to camp in at the Rock ... no one with "name recognition." It was cool!

I used to get a kick out of seeing that tepee in the campground every year. It definitely didn't belong to Bo. I remember it being there during the 80s, maybe as late as '85.

I never heard a rule against the tepee being set up. Perhaps the owner of said tepee just got smart and quit going to the ROA.

• Upvote 1

Bo.

Over 40 years ago, give or take.

Teepees...amazing the storeez that live on. I doubt anyone thought it would be of interest 40 years on. .

and to understand this phenomena.. even Data in Star Trek was confronted by his maker..

"why do humans attach such importance to old things.."

yeah.. a newbian (forgive the spelling..) would say tear that old thing down..

why is it.. old buildings, old experiences..

very interesting, isn't it..

• Upvote 1

I heard this story on a teaching tape, around 82, someone made a thing, about this teepee thing, just kinda trippe, let's go set up a teepee at the way, they would cuff and stuff me nowadays, for trying to do the teepee thing at the way?

I used to get a kick out of seeing that tepee in the campground every year. It definitely didn't belong to Bo.

I remember it being there during the 80s, maybe as late as '85.

I never heard a rule against the tepee being set up. Perhaps the owner of said tepee just got smart and quit going to the ROA.

I've got to agree with Linda here. I don't know if anyone ever "lived in a teepee" there at HQ.

Outside of my "senses knowledge", (if you will). ;) Bo might have, and he might not have lived in a teepee there.

The teepee I remember is the one mentioned at the ROA each year, and it belonged to someone else.

I always thought it was cool. It was a symbol of the ROA, kinda like the WOW burger, but not edible! spy.gif

Ironic (maybe not), that I'm more willing to remember the teepee, and not the veepee. ohmy.gifcool.giftongue.gif

Bo didn't "live" in a TP, he took one the first summer he showed up at the Way Nash, to camp in. Y'know, those crazy kids.

Apparently, like the elder Indian in "The Outlaw Josey Wales", many took up TP livin' over the years, for short or long duration. Fascinating. Crazy. Wild. Woo hoo! Those Wayfers, what next? Branded baseball caps??!! :biglaugh: