GreaseSpot Cafe

Rejoicing in the Lord

Twinky

Here are two songs from the TWI Fall Concert 2009.

What you might notice is the absolutely rigidity of the singers' bodies. No hand movements, no swaying to the side - absolutely perfectly still. Their physical demeanor is so at odds with the jolly bouciness of the songs.

As also is the jolly bounciness of whoever is conducting the singers. Perhaps the singers are so still so as not to distract from his "dancing."

It struck me that it must be very hard - and joyless - to stay so very still - whilst maintaining a big smile on the face.

Rejoice

This is our Joy

And it also struck me that this is Biblical rejoicing:

11So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obededom into the city of David with gladness. 13 And it was so, that when they that bare the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed oxen and fatlings. 14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod. 15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet. 16 And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart. ...

And Michal was struck with barrenness, because she despised those who wholeheartedly rejoiced in God.

Perhaps there's a lesson there. TWI, loosen up! Allow people to enjoy rejoicing!!! Don't choreograph so rigidly, either in making everyone stand still, or to "dance" in a very structured way.

:evilshades: How long before TWI insists this link gets removed?

Edited by Twinky

That was, I think, from an "open concert" to which locals were invited.

If they were hoping to win people by the brilliance of the performances, they'd probably have been rather disappointed. They'd most likely have left thinking, what was that? :confused: Loosen up!

WG, you could explore their website direct...heh heh.

Their physical demeanor is so at odds with the jolly bouciness of the songs. As also is the jolly bounciness of whoever is conducting the singers.

Traditional church choirs would never perform these kinds of songs (although choirs doing this is done more in modern settings). It's kind of a blend of a community or school choir performance style, mixed into a church choir setting.

They have an odd kind of feeling due to the reason you state - Twink, it's a choir and that's what choirs do - stand and sing. :) ...it's odd in much the same way that a school choir can sound kind of cheesey doing a juiced up version of a pop song. Or the cabaret kind of stuff where you go to a restaurant wanting to eat dinner and for some reason feel that having the wait staff suddenly throw a napkin over the shoulder and breaking into song is a good thing.

One of the absolute best uses of large group singing I've ever heard is Hillsongs, out of Australia. They're kind of a modern pop sound mixed with some traditional elements, and singing really well crafted and dare I say inspired songs. American Gospel music (I'm thinking Black American southern gospel and it's movement across the country) is another great example of where the music and the content successfully work for this choir style - in fact that is probably one of a very few real original products we have in the religious world of music but that also goes for American music in general)

To add: the look of all those round happy faces with outstretched lips reaching out in song like so many fed hatchlings poking up from the nest while chirping in unison is so...so...well, put it this way: their site carefully depicts a limited range of racial diversity, yet if I look at their "fellowship" photo, they're all sitting up and posing much like these singers, in regimented position, arms in place, backs straight, heads up and mouths and eyes formed in an eery sameness, all dressed in their same Casually Elegant best, regardless of their race, culture, age or sex. In a word: phoney. At least one knows (or should) what one will get, going in: labored, choreographed, boring. Even their "outreach" photo looks like the couple's collecting for the United Way.

Bottom line - performances are only as good as the song. Pop music is rife with examples contrary to that but at the essence of even the most banal and pedestrian "music" today is a "hook", a memorable line or melody. It's not something easily done, which accounts for the constant recycling and reuse of successful work. There's not much "original" music done or that even can be done when you think about it. Originality is usually accomplished by music from other cultures integrated into one's own and in fusions of styles.

These songs aren't good for the most part, and it's not because they're "from the Way and the Way stinks" critiquing but rather for the kinds of reasons you note - the pairings of style are mismatched, the lyrics are forced exercises in communication (poetic only in that they occasionally rhyme) and the melodies aren't memorable. You won't find yourself humming any of these next week, after hearing them once. Or twice. Their value is very short lived - hear it once, think that was nice, clap and you're done, what's next. Music serves a much great purpose than that.

Music reflects and speaks for the culture that expresses it. If this is of God I"d like to hear what else He's got in His portfolio. 'Nuff said.

The deal with the jolly conductor - don't get me started. Well, I am I guess. I hate that kind of thing, one guy waving his elbows and arms frantically like that as if he's trying to shake ants out of his jacket is something to truly abhor IMO. Conductors do have a function but for this kind of music it's a complete waste and largely a matter of show although I couldn't think of a single reason why it would be desirable. Less show and more go on the part of the performers would be preferable. :biglaugh:

something's wrong with my sound so i can't hear anything but after seeing the videos i'm glad i can't! when i was in everybody would have made fun of this stuff and somebody probably would have made a teaching out of the whole business for just the very reasons given here in this discussion. when the sound is off the other two songs "there's a harvest there" and "i need you, you need me" look like a lame burlesque show being done by the nursing home ladies. it's pretty gross when you know all the sex scandal stuff behind the scenes!

oh barf i watched it again! a couple of places i can just imagine they're doing that betty boop thing "boop-oop-a-boop"! barf barf barf!

Edited by brainfixed

I was going to suggest watching these with the sound turned off, brainfixed. You've beaten me to it.

Rest of you, see if you can guess what they're singing about.

Socks, I like Hillsong too. Catchy songs, passionately written, sung and performed.

I also like Sons of Korah, who set the psalms to modern music.

Here's

and Psalm 125. They do some good guitar/stringed instrument work. If you like the link, try YouTube - there's stacks of their music w/videos. Do these guys look like they're having fun? :) :) Does the audience seem enthusiastic? :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

I find these catchy tunes stick in my head (and the words, too).

I'm glad to say that a lot of Way Prods songs have...evaporated.

I did rather like some of those great songs that got banned after one of the exoduses. Some of those songs I still remember.

Rest of you, see if you can guess what they're singing about.

They're singing about the standard stuff we were fed in The Renewed Mind class.

Stuff like, "Joy is not an emotion.", blah, blah, blah.

I'd like to see them cover

. Edited by waysider

Give me Paul Baloche, Casting Crowns, Don Moen, Michael William Smith, Brian Donarksen, Rebecca St. James, Twila Paris, John Tesh,Jon Egan, Jared Anderson, any of them would put Singing Ladies of The Way and The Present Truth Band to shame.

Seriously, though. (kinda) Listen to the lyrics to those tunes and it will make you shutter with a way-speak flashback.

And, WTF?? A choir singing a "145...12 bar" format in a major key with an antiquated boogie woogie bass line??? They must have reached up in Daddy's cookie jar and got their hands slapped with that one.

For a moment thought it was Lawerence Welk, :biglaugh:

Their physical demeanor is so at odds with the jolly bouciness of the songs. As also is the jolly bounciness of whoever is conducting the singers.

Traditional church choirs would never perform these kinds of songs (although choirs doing this is done more in modern settings). It's kind of a blend of a community or school choir performance style, mixed into a church choir setting.

They have an odd kind of feeling due to the reason you state - Twink, it's a choir and that's what choirs do - stand and sing. :) ...it's odd in much the same way that a school choir can sound kind of cheesey doing a juiced up version of a pop song. Or the cabaret kind of stuff where you go to a restaurant wanting to eat dinner and for some reason feel that having the wait staff suddenly throw a napkin over the shoulder and breaking into song is a good thing.

One of the absolute best uses of large group singing I've ever heard is Hillsongs, out of Australia. They're kind of a modern pop sound mixed with some traditional elements, and singing really well crafted and dare I say inspired songs. American Gospel music (I'm thinking Black American southern gospel and it's movement across the country) is another great example of where the music and the content successfully work for this choir style - in fact that is probably one of a very few real original products we have in the religious world of music but that also goes for American music in general)

To add: the look of all those round happy faces with outstretched lips reaching out in song like so many fed hatchlings poking up from the nest while chirping in unison is so...so...well, put it this way: their site carefully depicts a limited range of racial diversity, yet if I look at their "fellowship" photo, they're all sitting up and posing much like these singers, in regimented position, arms in place, backs straight, heads up and mouths and eyes formed in an eery sameness, all dressed in their same Casually Elegant best, regardless of their race, culture, age or sex. In a word: phoney. At least one knows (or should) what one will get, going in: labored, choreographed, boring. Even their "outreach" photo looks like the couple's collecting for the United Way.

Bottom line - performances are only as good as the song. Pop music is rife with examples contrary to that but at the essence of even the most banal and pedestrian "music" today is a "hook", a memorable line or melody. It's not something easily done, which accounts for the constant recycling and reuse of successful work. There's not much "original" music done or that even can be done when you think about it. Originality is usually accomplished by music from other cultures integrated into one's own and in fusions of styles.

These songs aren't good for the most part, and it's not because they're "from the Way and the Way stinks" critiquing but rather for the kinds of reasons you note - the pairings of style are mismatched, the lyrics are forced exercises in communication (poetic only in that they occasionally rhyme) and the melodies aren't memorable. You won't find yourself humming any of these next week, after hearing them once. Or twice. Their value is very short lived - hear it once, think that was nice, clap and you're done, what's next. Music serves a much great purpose than that.

Music reflects and speaks for the culture that expresses it. If this is of God I"d like to hear what else He's got in His portfolio. 'Nuff said.

The deal with the jolly conductor - don't get me started. Well, I am I guess. I hate that kind of thing, one guy waving his elbows and arms frantically like that as if he's trying to shake ants out of his jacket is something to truly abhor IMO. Conductors do have a function but for this kind of music it's a complete waste and largely a matter of show although I couldn't think of a single reason why it would be desirable. Less show and more go on the part of the performers would be preferable. :biglaugh:

Socks, it isn't even close to WP of the 70's, much less Hillsongs, Casting Crowns, or Israel Houghton.