GreaseSpot Cafe

"So you don't want to go to Church anymore?"

That's the name of the book I am reading, "So you don't want to go to Church anymore"

I am being blown away by this book. I recommend this book to all former TWI members and church members.

It will free you from religious bondage.

I would love to hear your comments after you have read this.

Peace!

LOVE this book, now I want to dig around in boxes and find it again.

I laughed, cried, looked in the mirror and put it down a couple of times vowing to never finish it.

My favorite was the chapter, and I forget which but it's a ways in, about finding dirt and having the need to throw that dirt on others. Or something like that. Whoa; that one stung and make me wanna cover the mirror. ha!

Where are you in the read?

LOVE this book, now I want to dig around in boxes and find it again.

I laughed, cried, looked in the mirror and put it down a couple of times vowing to never finish it.

My favorite was the chapter, and I forget which but it's a ways in, about finding dirt and having the need to throw that dirt on others. Or something like that. Whoa; that one stung and make me wanna cover the mirror. ha!

Where are you in the read?

I am almost to the end of it......All I can say is WOW......Incredible book, so much truth....I think I loved every chapter.....it certainly confronted any "religion" in me that was left. But it also confirmed where I am at in my journey with God...that I am exactly where I am suppose to be....:)

No, he does not make you want to go to church.....This book is actually about insight into the church and it's bondage that holds people....VERY insightful....

I took tried a million churches and couldn't stay in them. This book will make you glad you didn't and it will also give you insight into what you got out of..TWI. It will give you lots to think about.....

It's a great book......as Shellon has said.

I am almost to the end of it......All I can say is WOW......Incredible book, so much truth....I think I loved every chapter.....it certainly confronted any "religion" in me that was left. But it also confirmed where I am at in my journey with God...that I am exactly where I am suppose to be....:)

Love it!

Hmmm... I have never had a desire to go to church after TWI. In fact, I have oftentimes thought God was pulling believers out of the church. I have run into many wonderful Christians during daily life, work, etc. that also don't go to church.

I'll have to check out this book.

What are some of its main points?

I'd be curious what the book has to say. I cant really say that I dont want to go anymore because I have never ever joined a church in the first place. I wasnt raised in one and I dont belong to one now

I cant reasonably count my time in The Way as a church...they were an anti church if anything, and they pounded into me how horrible that churches all were as part of their theology, plus their being an abusive organization complicates the idea of ever joining anything ever again

I toy with the idea of joining a church from time to time and might go to services 4 or 5 times a year (or maybe not)if I feel like it. Generally my experiences are pretty good.

Ive been leaning toward going more regularly to a higher church (like the Episcopalians )for about the last 6 to 7 years...

(The buildings are better, the music is better, the liturgy and prayers are well thought through consistant and thoughtful, they are not political, and the people that I meet in them (I work for them-Im the stained glass guy)all seem very genuine and kind..)

So far I havent taken the big step (for me) to join anything,

are there some warning signs that the author points to that I should be aware of, and drop the whole idea?

There are so many good things in this book, it's hard to name them all.......But basically, it's about a minister who runs into this guy and overhears him talking to a small group of people who had been discussing religion. And the guy makes a statement, "If you only knew him" or something like that. Anyway, This guys name is John and the minister kind of connects him to the John in the Bible. They meet and John says a few things to the minister and he starts to ponder them. In the minister's church, you get the behind the scenes situations that are going on....which the congregation doesn't know anything about. And John enters this minister's life at certain points to show him What religion really is vs a free relationship with God. And how from the time the children attend Sunday School certain things are starting to formulate how they think. It's about the journey of this minister outside of church. The book is mind provoking. It really helped me see some and ponder things I never thought of before. I highly recommend it, especially for those who have been in TWI.....It just kind of prepares you more for what to look for to save your spiritual life. Want to add anything to this Shellon???

God first

... i try from time to time

but no church will take me as i am

churches just to want control

give a reason to buy that book

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Roy - I recommend you give First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) a shot. I've been not only welcomed, but treated with godly love and respect - even when I stated that I would never be a member. Today I'm an elder and this is the first church I've known of that actually has no set doctrine. This is a thinking person's church. If you lived in my town I'd gladly come pick you up every week for Sunday services and Wednesday night dinner, which we offer for one dollar if you have it, or for free if you don't - (someone else will throw in a dollar for anyone who doesn't have one of their own). We're certainly not perfect, but we err on the side of love.

I haven't read this book either. I think I will.

Edited by bowtwi

I cant reasonably count my time in The Way as a church...

I understand what you are saying, however The Way was/is definitely a church. An abusive church, but a church nonetheless. TWI did what they criticized in other churches. I personally believe they used churches as a straw man. That is, that got us to focus on how supposidely awful the organized church was so that we wouldn't notice the evil in our own midst.

When I finally broke out of TWI I found freedom in the church I began attending and that it was even fun. But you're right, there are some pretty abusive organizations out there...many of them churches. I would just suggest that you CAN count your time in TWI as a church. Just my opinion.

This book sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Edited by Broken Arrow

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that The Way was a church, even they adamantly refused to be called a church.

As far as I can tell about the only thing that they had in common with regular churches was bible study, some of which I enjoyed, but it got very overbearing and unbalanced in my opinion.

They held church history in great disrespect, did little or nothing in their communities( other than sign people up for "the class", spent more time on the devil than God, had a very high fear and paranoia level and , the more I get exposed to churches, the more they are recognizable as anything resembling a church.

Even worship was boiled down to Speaking in Tongues...

In way theology I could be shooting heroin in both arms, pimping 12 year old prostitutes while robbing liquor stores and as long as I was SITing while doing it and claiming my "I am righteous now" sonship right, I would be ok.

That's extreme but not all that far off really.

Maybe you are right, or it could be just a matter of semantics ,but to me The Way was so far afield from anything even resembling a church that I have a hard time reconciling the two.

Sorry for derailing the thread

God first

thanks bowtwi

thanks my friend

I once was part "First Christian Church" I check them again

The First Christian Church of Glendale told me the Way did not bad to him

but he was looking from the outside

I will try First Christian Church of E-town

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Edited by year2027

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that The Way was a church, even they adamantly refused to be called a church.

Sorry for derailing the thread

I'm referring to the fact they still had rituals, hierarchy, taboos, and a definition of what it was to be acceptable. Then again, maybe that's just a partial definition of a cult. Like you, I shall derail this thread no further.

That's the name of the book I am reading, "So you don't want to go to Church anymore"

I am being blown away by this book. I recommend this book to all former TWI members and church members.

It will free you from religious bondage.

I would love to hear your comments after you have read this.

Peace!

Sounds like my cup of tea. I ordered the CD audio version a few days ago when I first read this thread. I haven't received it yet. I figure that God has placed me in the body where it has pleased him, & we ARE the church, & we are complete in Christ, so going to "church" doesn't exist. It is an artifice within which people then engage in all manner of artifice. Truth exists there only because the darkness of the artifice cannot put out the light.

Sounds like my cup of tea. I ordered the CD audio version a few days ago when I first read this thread. I haven't received it yet. I figure that God has placed me in the body where it has pleased him, & we ARE the church, & we are complete in Christ, so going to "church" doesn't exist. It is an artifice within which people then engage in all manner of artifice. Truth exists there only because the darkness of the artifice cannot put out the light.

Where two or three are gathered....there I will be in their midst.

Church does not have to be in a building with a steeple, it's just that people started going to such and it became known as the church of the Lord Jesus Christ.Most of us out here came out of TWI and know the abuses that went on there. Certainly there are churches that are also abusive as well...just listen to the Holy Spirit as leads you and you will find the place where you belong. No one is an island.

Church does not have to be in a building with a steeple, it's just that people started going to such and it became known as the church of the Lord Jesus Christ.Most of us out here came out of TWI and know the abuses that went on there. Certainly there are churches that are also abusive as well...just listen to the Holy Spirit as leads you and you will find the place where you belong. No one is an island.

Bride: "Where two or three are gathered....there I will be in their midst." Not questioning your intent here, Bride, but, just pointing out that there is a lot in that ellipsis (...). Jesus is not in the midst of those who gather any more than you are the Bride of anyolewho. You are the brideOFJC, just as Jesus is in the midst of those who are gathered IN HIS NAME. Just because people started going to buildings with steeples that became known as THE church of the Lord Jesus Christ doesn't mean it was the church of the Lord Jesus Christ any more than people who gather in homes (because that's the way the 1st century church gathered) are necessarily gathering in his name. The early believers achieved the reality of Jesus in their lives because they followed him, not because they followed principles such as the church in the home. No "church," mega church or church in the home, or any combination of those, pretenting to the name "The Church" attains justifiably that name - that we should listen to the Holy Spirit to lead us to the place where we belong. Those who truly trust in the Holy Spirit accept His truth that we are already placed in the Body where it pleases Him. Any other "trust" in the Lord is misplaced. We should just trust that God is placing us in fellowship with others who are likewise believing the truth of the present reality of the One Body - accessing by believing the grace wherein we stand. "Believing" God to place us, when he already has, precludes his sufficiency and replaces his sufficiency with an institutional requirement to access his grace.

Sufficient in Him,

Tom

Newlife, you asked for comments after posters read the book. Well, I am about 1/2 way through the audio book, & must say that I am pleasantly surprised that the book; although, I expected to enjoy it, has far surpassed my expectations.

One surprise was that I saw that TWI incorporated was sooo just another church. The parallels were impossible to escape, the identity easily seen. It was very freeing in an ultimate sort of way.

Another pleasant surprise was the emphasis on following Jesus & the consequent reality of community & family.

Yo, Sunesis, if you are reading this, get the book; you'll love it.

Newlife, thanks so much for the recommendation. I really appreciate it.

Tom

Sure ticks me off when I go to church and they "invite" Jesus to come, or the Holy Spirit to come, or whatever. Makes me want to rush up to the front of the church and demand to know of the leadership - if he never leaves us or forsakes us - if where we are gathered together, there he is - if, lo, he will never leave us - if God is ever listening to our prayers ---- who the heck are they "inviting"? And...who are they to "invite" anyway - if it's God's house?

They're still a nice buncha people, though. Sincere, even if wrong. Which has got to be better than insincere and wrong.

The last time a similar topic came up regarding church....and I joined in the discussion......it virtually ended my participation in the forums. This topic can get ugly fast.....but, please, let me assure you it is not my intention to offend....simply to offer another perspective.

Concerning the verses in Matthew about gathering in His name.....looking at the context I believe that this particular passage is referencing church discipline. It is not directly related to fellowship with other Christians. Just look at it for a moment. It is speaking about putting someone out of the church. . . . . but the instruction of two or more gathering in His name serves a particular function for those tasked with discipline. It is not something to be taken lightly. Church discipline is meant to be redemptive in nature. Just like the Lord is redemptive....

It is really just a product of lazy theology to take one verse and assume a doctrine from it. I am not saying that anyone here is doing that.......AT ALL. It is just that..... with this kind of logic, we could assume from Jesus teaching the Lord's prayer that we never have to ask in His name.... because he never mentions it. We can assume whole theologies on Baptism, marriage, communion....from pulling verses out of their context. I know I have done it.

You simply cannot take a part of one verse and use it as the model for what fellowship is supposed to be. Can you teach salvation by only using John 3:16 and not 17 or 18? No, and using one simple verse to dis church or dismiss it is really not cool. Why not just say "I don't like church". Even if I gave you several verses on how you should love the church, and yes, that includes most of those little or mega churches out there........it is not going to change some peoples minds. If you don't like it....you don't like it. Don't invoke God or the Body of Christ to justify it.

Let me just mention that we all had little churches in our homes....were they perfect? No, and no church is perfect.

That being said.....concerning the book.....Tom said something rather profound and something I have been thinking while watching this topic.

He said: One surprise was that I saw that TWI incorporated was sooo just another church. The parallels were impossible to escape, the identity easily seen. It was very freeing in an ultimate sort of way.

Well, yes, but the difference is.....the author made up his pastor and church.....he took the nastiest caricature he could create.......the book is fiction. The author took stereotyping quite seriously. It may have been loosely autobiographical....but it is one mans opinion based on an experience with an abusive church.

VP and TWI were real. VP wasn't a caricature, but someone we all knew once as the MOG. We lived it.....so of course it is going to be relevant for us....yet, TWI does not give us an accurate portrayal of church does it? No....and neither does a stereo-typed fictitious abusive church.

The book doesn't really give us a viable alternative IMO. We should be sharing others burdens and journey. We should be walking along side others. But, does that wandering replace the need for a church home? For a consistent fellowship? For a close Christian family? Sure if you are in TWI or an abusive church....RUN....but don't take the church model we have and sweepingly make assumptions about it based on a bad experience. At least I don't think it is a good idea.

Edited by geisha779

Sure ticks me off when I go to church and they "invite" Jesus to come, or the Holy Spirit to come, or whatever. Makes me want to rush up to the front of the church and demand to know of the leadership - if he never leaves us or forsakes us - if where we are gathered together, there he is - if, lo, he will never leave us - if God is ever listening to our prayers ---- who the heck are they "inviting"? And...who are they to "invite" anyway - if it's God's house?

They're still a nice buncha people, though. Sincere, even if wrong. Which has got to be better than insincere and wrong.

That always gets me, too! If we have Christ IN US, then He's wherever we are.

I've asked people about that and they say they "pray in the Spirit" - meaning they pray and He shows up! When I say that I think He's been there all along that usually shuts them up or at most they say that they never thought of it that way before...

Another ex-way person here uses the same word, "teaching" I use where most folks around here say "sermon" or "message". My pastor/mentor told me yesterday that when the other ex-way person said "teaching" to him that it used to sound almost funny to his ears, then when he started hearing me use that over the past several years, he's begun to think that may actually be more accurate a description of what he does and it no longer sounds funny to him.

I also have a new appreciation for the phrase, "What Would Jesus Do?" I used to think like lcm - but now I think it's a fine way to make a tough decision easier. Sometimes it's just easier to see what He would do and do my best to do that.