GreaseSpot Cafe

Interpretation of Tongues

skyrider

The obligatory thread....as a follow-up to the SIT thread. :)

Seems to me, no other manifestation was given more explanation and practice than interpretation of tongues. It's gotta be consistent in length, to those present.....and a message of exhortation and/or comfort. Wierwille's pfal example showed us that it needs to succor and strengthen the body of believers with uplifting words.

Yet, to be quite honest.....so often, this "message" seemed so contrived.

And now, after all these years and connecting all the dots on wierwille's plethora of deceiving sins.......it comes as NO SURPRISE that, I believe, interpretation of tongues was wierwille's fabrication of "walking by the spirit." It missed the mark...by a mile. Maybe it added to vpw's formulaic conception and all, but it fell flat. Wasn't E@rl Burt0n assigned to teach the 2.0 version? Even that seemed odd since wierwille had updated the advanced class, right? Why did wierwille pass off the intermediate class to another?

All of this has discussed before I'm sure.

Often, I've thought that there's a whole parallel universe of these manifestations to those who truly live for Him. Not like twi and going thru the motions in formulaic fashion........but REVIVAL in fervent motion. Spiritual Life in 3-D.

The whole "9 pack" seems so contrived, in retrospect.

Check out these little gems from page 10 of the Advanced Class Silly-Bus...

"Speaking in tongues daily is prerequisite to revelation."

Really?? I guess that must be why Wierwille knew stuff that hadn't been known for 2,000 years. 'Cause, ya know, he could sometimes go for days without any sleep, on account of how much he spoke in tongues in his private prayer life and all, so God musta been bombarding him with revelation. You would think, though, that a guy who spoke in tongues that much would have gotten beyond "Lo Shanta La Maka See Tay"..Someday I'll figger that one out.

And how about this one?

"To receive revelation, you must first become meek."

Now, I'm guessing, based on VP's example, that the key word here must be "first".

After that, (your "first" encounter with meekness) you can pretty much "do what you like as long as you like what you do". Dat's Riiiiiiight!

Oh, almost missed this one...

"Revelation once given may change (God changes the revelation after the circumstances change.)"

Now, that's a relief. That way, God never has to change, just the revelation (which is supposed to be God's Word, which is unchangeable) changes. .........am not...are too....am not...are too...am not...are too....

Of course, after it's been given twice, it can't change anymore. Says so right in the Silly-Bus....

"Revelation given twice is established."

So, remember, keeds..... "Watch and be ready. Revelation may come at the most likely or unlikely places and times."

And ...."Pick yourself up, because God will not tell you a second time until you obey the first."

But that could change, you know? ....Sooooo.... "get meek, speak the speak and don't let the adversary make you freak.".

Edited by waysider

It struck me: if SIT is perfect thanksgiving TO God, as I believe the Word DOES say, then the gist, the sum and substance of what has just been spoken in an unknown tongue must ALSO be thanksgiving TO God, not a message from or for God in the language of the people present.

Was the intermediate class a lot of hokum? I think so, looking back. Did a lot of people just make stuff up for interpretation? I think so. I probably did so myself, though it was not my intention. I think sometimes that people DID bring forth accurate words from God when they were "interpreting." I think they were just prophesying without knowing the difference. I don't think God has EVER been as picky as intermediate class excellor session leaders, and I WAS one!

Love,

Steve

• Upvote 1

. Did a lot of people just make stuff up for interpretation? I think so.

What?????? Oh, that can't possibly be so. Surely God would have told us they were faking it. I think you need to speak in tongues more so the baby spirit inside you can grow up and reach an understanding of this stuff.

And, "Travel light."

(Not sure what that has to do with it. It's just something God told me to say.)

Interpretation of tongues.. and where did this "allow" a friggin spiritual adulterous and worse moron to "complete" a stumbled message by someone he should not have even asked to begin with, in ROA 75.

who says the numbnuts can divine the supposed result. i.e. interpret the few "hiccups" of a supposed follower..

more like close claims of legitimate inquiry.

Just an additional (but contextual) thought.

Interpretation of tongues..

sometimes I have to try to do this mathematically..

but there generally is a whole lot of interaction.

I prefer to think.. that the "interpretation" is given by another than the one spewing in tongues.

It has to make sense to everybody,doesn't it?

:biglaugh:

Maybe. Just maybe.. interpretation of tongues was supposed to be some kind om ministry of sorts?

I dunno.

It struck me: if SIT is perfect thanksgiving TO God, as I believe the Word DOES say, then the gist, the sum and substance of what has just been spoken in an unknown tongue must ALSO be thanksgiving TO God, not a message from or for God in the language of the people present.

Yep. STFI / JAL taught that he had it wrong because it was as you said. According to them, the same person speaking gives the interpretation that was spoken in the tongue to God and it will be words of thanksgiving, etc. to God.

The way wierwille taught it, he just had people SIT / and having words of prophecy instead of actually giving the translation.

In a mathematical sense.

"so, what you are saying is, you perform the required algebra to convert the equation into standard form, then factor the resulting equation, then use the zero factor property to state the two possible solutions.."

what is zero factor anyway?

Most of the time any interpretation is.. interpreting procedure..

interesting..

uhleeha shumaka, rummacka shubenna eswahwa, now someone interpret, or maybe someone can actually read that language in their own tongue. What did I say? :confused::confused:

Yea, verily, my little ones. As sure as night marks the end of day, we were hosed.

• Upvote 1

Well, why would God need it interpreting?

I don't really know what function Interp could have unless in some way to "edify" the body of believers. But if SIT is essentially praise to God, it's in the nature of a personal communication between God and the individual - so why would it need interpreting? Where would be the benefit to the body of believers? which already knows how to praise God with the understanding?

Interp is listed as one of the manifestations; therefore it must exist; therefore it must have a purpose. I doubt very much any of it is as the intermediate class sets out.

Actually I doubt very much that anything taught about any of the other manifestations is as was taught in Intermed or Adv class.

Interp is listed as one of the manifestations; therefore it must exist; therefore it must have a purpose. I doubt very much any of it is as the intermediate class sets out.

Actually I doubt very much that anything taught about any of the other manifestations is as was taught in Intermed or Adv class.

My thoughts as well.

And then....to have PRACTICE SESSIONS so that "you could get good at it." Well, that's contrived, rehearsed, repetitive, plastic. When the Lord is backing those manifestations......they come with BREATH-TAKING POWER!

I know from past postings that a lot of people made up their interpreations, so of course those seemed contrived. I rework this area about once every two years or so trying to keep an open mind and I've read a lot from other groups. I still find that Chapter 14 is pretty clear about how it is suposed to work. I think by having them all the time we increased the likelyhood of people just making it up. But I have had another idea as well, as I've noticed how different even my own tongues and interpreation is in the church I'm attending now (which is a RHEMA trained church) Maybe one reason we kept hearing the same things; like "I love you," "walk on and believe my word." "Let the peace of God work in your heart," "know that I am with you," is because we never really did them. God kept telling us to do them, and we kept believing the word of the ministry, and walking in strife with everyone around us. We put our trust in our believing, not God's ability.

Well, why would God need it interpreted?

I thought we weren't suppose to be thinking... OH wait.. I'm out.

Personally, I put most of the things TWI taught about the "inner man" aka lower case h.s. in the dumpster. Just doesn't seem to jive with scriptures or if it does, it certainly didn't jive with the actions of the uppers that were supposedly operating. But I'm sure they were operating something.. Some spirit.. medium.. somewhere..

SIT.. Doesn't Acts 2 set the stage for how it all works? They spoke in those tongues, praise "TO" God, in words everyone could understand. It was in the foreign tongues that those foreigners present could understand, and then the natives locals tongue.. Most of the Psalms are Praise "TO" God, and it's supposedly for "our" benefit. Personally I think SIT should be a benefit for those who understand it of which there should be someone!, and Interpretation should be a benefit to those who understand.