GreaseSpot Cafe

The Compulsory Tithe Doth Prosper

skyrider

oh yeah-the blue forms. Then there was the twig leaders meeting where the recently revved up branch leader went through my blue forms in front of everyone. "How come Jack gave this on this date, and only this the next week"? etc. I told him that was between him and God, and who knows what was going on, and that I wasn't about to start making people explain themselves . This was early 80's -I hear that was standard procedure later on.

oh yeah-the blue forms. Then there was the twig leaders meeting where the recently revved up branch leader went through my blue forms in front of everyone. "How come Jack gave this on this date, and only this the next week"? etc. I told him that was between him and God, and who knows what was going on, and that I wasn't about to start making people explain themselves . This was early 80's -I hear that was standard procedure later on.

It was standard procedure in the early 70's, too, but, it was more discreet. In fact, your "abundant sharing" history was part of the criteria that was examined when you applied for entrance into the Advanced Class.

With me, I am not an opponent of tithing, IF that's what someone wants to do. I think the word compulsory in the thread title sums up the way international's position and practices. They pretty much coerce people to give, and have a very jaded history with strong arm tactics, and shake downs via the way tree. That's the best way I know to put it.

It was standard procedure in the early 70's, too, but, it was more discreet. In fact, your "abundant sharing" history was part of the criteria that was examined when you applied for entrance into the Advanced Class.

The "examination" of your giving history was why I know many people reverted to the cash method of giving with no paper trail. But that's a catch-22 because then if you gave a lot you couldn't write it off on your taxes.

Part of the Biblical topic of the hope to me is knowing that God is just and that someday these Pharisees will have their deeds examined and be found wanting in the balance.

"Examining" people's giving history contradicts so many Biblical principles it's not funny. Obviously these Pharisees don't read or understand Jesus parables.

What I would like to know. Who or what does the compulsory tithe compulsorily provide for?

:biglaugh:/>

The continued functioning and existence of Pharisees. Without it they would have to go find a real job where people wouldn't put up with their BS.

Money offerings to denominations, sects, and cults are to pay for full time ordained clergy and staff such as secretaries/communication directors, techers, and musicians as well as for utilities(water/sewer, elctricity, heating/AC), purchasing books, cd's and dvd's, sheet music; physical upkeep of buildings and property, etc. Not exactly what Christ or the apostles had in mind.

Whenever you were in line for some sort of "promotion" (class instructor, twig leader, grand poo-bah of the refreshment crew or whatever), your ABS history was always a critical factor in the decision making process. They just used the tax write-off thing as a smoke screen. Most people who actually made enough money to write off their ABS were too consumed with their careers to give TWI the sort of commitment that was required to move up through the ranks.

from Ham

What I would like to know. Who or what does the compulsory tithe compulsorily provide for?
<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">

If it's really a compulsory tithe....absolutely nothing! Anything given freely from the heart will bring profit all the way around. However, if "they" have to squeeze it out of you....there will be no profit.