GreaseSpot Cafe

Game: Before & After (Movies and TV)

Raf

If Shatner's show was cancelled that quickly, it's possible we don't know it or at least can't remember it.

You're right. I just figured that anything "Shatner" would instantly trigger something to you guys. Perhaps a hint: A quote from Jerry Macguire (possibly the most famous quote) used by Cuba Jr. should do the trick. You already should know what the connect word is from my clue.

"Quiz Show Me the Money"?

George

Yes that's it. I didn't recollect the game show that Bill Shatner hosted either. There is popular Korean game show now with the same name. But I almost didn't post it until I found Shatner's tv show and figured what the heck! :rolleyes: Rolls eyes

A political commentator risks his own funds hosting a game show, so he can renovate a house which turns out to be a real "fixer-upper."

George

You're clue George seems to be one using a "renovation" shows on cable and a movie. And I'm trying to guess which host you are referring to. Richard Dawson hosts a game show in Running Man. Am I on the right track?

You're clue George seems to be one using a "renovation" shows on cable and a movie. And I'm trying to guess which host you are referring to. Richard Dawson hosts a game show in Running Man. Am I on the right track?

No. I suppose I should mention that this is a "TV-movie."

George

A political commentator risks his own funds hosting a game show, so he can renovate a house which turns out to be a real "fixer-upper." Starring Shelley Long and the political commentator (whose name appears in the title). TV-Movie.

George

Oh, I've got it now. Ben Stein's Money Pit

Technically, it's "Win Ben Stein's Money Pit," but good enough. You're up.

George

Oh!!!! We're being technical are we?? :P I don't remember many contestants winning Ben Stein's money. He was pretty sharp! And Jimmie Kimmel got his start on that show.

Oh!!!! We're being technical are we?? :P/> I don't remember many contestants winning Ben Stein's money. He was pretty sharp! And Jimmie Kimmel got his start on that show.

Kimmel definitely got his TV start there. Before that, he was a comedian and radio personality- that's where he met Adam Carolla.

(Carolla was doing radio when they met, also.)

There were indeed people who won Ben Stein's money.

Usually, if Ben went 2nd in the "Best of 10" and didn't tie the other person or better,

Adam would continue immediately with an 11th question:

"How does it feel to lose five thousand dollars?"

If Ben tied, the other person got an extra thou added to their total.

(For a short time, a tie was counted as a win for the other person.)

If they won, he handed them all $5000, and said things like

"I salute you for your superior knowledge. I hate you, get out of here!"

And Stein added in the end "See, it can be done..." as he began his closing.

Oh!!!! We're being technical are we?? :P/>/> I don't remember many contestants winning Ben Stein's money.

There were indeed people who won Ben Stein's money.

It wasn't really Ben Stein's money anyway. A disclaimer was put up at the finish of every show that stated that the money was the producers. :yawn1:

When a prosecuting attorney [aspiring to be a senator] takes a plea deal that sets one of the trials defendants free it sets off a chain of events that exacts justice on everyone that was involved, including that of a powerful newspaper magnate who's own lust for power exceeds that of the attorney's.

When a prosecuting attorney [aspiring to be a senator] takes a plea deal that sets one of the trials defendants free it sets off a chain of events that exacts justice on everyone that was involved, including that of a powerful newspaper magnate who's own lust for power exceeds that of the attorney's.

So we know this is a movie-movie scenario.

I'm thinking the newspaper magnate should be William Randolph Hearst,

but I don't know of any movie that covered him.

(I think there was one, but I can't call up a coherent memory of it.)

I don't think Howard Hughes ever was one.

You're definitely in the ballpark WordWolf with the W R Hearst thing. Just don't take it to heart.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen Citizen Kane, but I plan to the next couple days. I started wondering though, if you guys were off your game. I thought the clue was pretty easy. Raf got it.

OK. I did see it. Suffice it to say, movies have gotten a lot better since the 40's. (With the exception of The Wizard of OZ)

Enough waiting. I'll put up another one.

A burnt-out ex-CIA agent finds new purpose for living life when he befriends a young girl and takes a job as a vigilante working for the US government who after implanting him with new technology, turn him into a super-hero.

Edited by Human without the bean

A burnt-out ex-CIA agent finds new purpose for living life when he befriends a young girl and takes a job as a vigilante working for the US government who after implanting him with new technology, turn him into a super-hero.

Normally, when you guys post something unless somebody hits on it you just wait on it. It's been 6 days so I'll bite.

I'm surprised Raf hasn't got this one. This first part gives the description of the movie almost to a tee. George you've seen the other tv part of this clue but not the movie part. WordWolf has an idea what the movie part is but has not seen it either.

The tv show is right in all you guys alleys, being a super-hero (loosely put) and all.

But Raf and WordWolf were probably still in their baby pajamas's when it came out.

I realized something. It could be that I'm too stupid to play this game and everyone is just laughing at this post!