GreaseSpot Cafe

What the heck is stringing chairs?

RottieGrrrl

I've wanted to ask for years. I thought it was some figure of speech. It seems there are threads upon threads and posts upon posts over the years of "stringing chairs." :confused::confused: I even googled it and I got results on weaving and restringing string chairs and I swear even GOOGLE HAS NEVER HEARD OF IT! If somebody does not tell me what this is I will go crazy. Is there a crazy smiley here? Okay this one will do. :asdf: Thank you!

I've wanted to ask for years. I thought it was some figure of speech. It seems there are threads upon threads and posts upon posts over the years of "stringing chairs." :confused:/> :confused:/> I even googled it and I got results on weaving and restringing string chairs and I swear even GOOGLE HAS NEVER HEARD OF IT! If somebody does not tell me what this is I will go crazy. Is there a crazy smiley here? Okay this one will do. :asdf:/> Thank you!

Prior to meetings, the Corps were required to make sure that all the chairs were perfectly aligned. EVERY meeting! This was accomplished with lengths of string, and some wooden blocks, if I remember correctly. A person's "spiritual maturity" could be judged by how perfectly the chairs were aligned... and if the leadership had it in for you, the chairs could NEVER be aligned perfectly enough. It was an everlasting part of the everlasting make-work to which Corps were subjected, and a feature of life that was common to everyone who was Corps.

I hope this helps, RottieGrrrl!

Love,

Steve

Yes it does, I still am intrigued by how they did it though. And I find it interesting that I cannot find one instance of anyone in the internet world of anybody else doing this. I'm wondering where they got the concept for this. The physical part anyway. The spiritual part is nonsense. What good little Pharisees they would make. Sheesh! Thank you Steve!

I've got a confession to make....

On my interim year at hq.....I was assigned to oversee the responsibility of stringing chairs in the BRC. Thus, it was my household duty after supper to oversee each corps group with stringing chairs and setting up top-floor BRC before the next meeting. So, for a couple of weeks.... the supply box would come out and the chairs would be strung in perfect rows.

Well......it didn't take long before I saw this nifty short-cut.

Since these chairs had been placed in, basically, the same position for years......we would shut off the overhead lights and use the 'lover lights' only because then, the carpet showed the indentations more clearly. Voila! No more string was needed.

Seriously.....we had straight rows and BRC set-up accomplished in about 12 minutes. The inrez corps loved me for it.....as we 'outsmarted' the taskmasters and went about our merry way. It was our own little secret.

A secret that, until today.........I don't think I've ever confessed. :biglaugh:/>

There are other groups that do this as well. It's not exclusive to religious organizations. The more modern way to do it, though, is to use lasers, like you would see on a construction site for setting drop ceilings, establishing grade and so forth. It's quick and very precise.

HERE

RESULTS

Edited by waysider

Yes it does, I still am intrigued by how they did it though. And I find it interesting that I cannot find one instance of anyone in the internet world of anybody else doing this. I'm wondering where they got the concept for this. The physical part anyway. The spiritual part is nonsense. What good little Pharisees they would make. Sheesh! Thank you Steve!

It's being decent and in order, dammit! The only thing I can think of in scripture is the detail that went in to preparing the tabernacle that Moses oversaw. Also the detail that went into King Hezekiah restoring Judah from the mess that his predecessor, King Ahaz had made of it. And even then God was OK with some people not doing Passover until 1 month after everybody else did it. Like God Almighty really cares if chairs aren't strung.

I don't speak for all offshoots, but we do 3 big meetings every calendar year. Haven't seen anyone string chairs yet. We're even having a pagan easter egg hunt for the kiddos this year, GASP!!!

quote:

On my interim year at hq.....I was assigned to oversee the responsibility of stringing chairs in the BRC. Thus, it was my household duty after supper to oversee each corps group with stringing chairs and setting up top-floor BRC before the next meeting. So, for a couple of weeks.... the supply box would come out and the chairs would be strung in perfect rows.

Well......it didn't take long before I saw this nifty short-cut.

Since these chairs had been placed in, basically, the same position for years......we would shut off the overhead lights and use the 'lover lights' only because then, the carpet showed the indentations more clearly. Voila! No more string was needed.

Seriously.....we had straight rows and BRC set-up accomplished in about 12 minutes. The inrez corps loved me for it.....as we 'outsmarted' the taskmasters and went about our merry way. It was our own little secret.

A secret that, until today.........I don't think I've ever confessed. :biglaugh:/>

Sounds like something someone on Waydale once posted. He would always go for a smoke break during corps night teachings and his strategy was to always bring someone else so that if the wrong person came there he would quickly cup the cigarette and start "ministering to him". Oh, that's awful, but funny too.

If word had gotten out, I'm sure the innovators would have been punished

for being clever and finding a new, better way to do things than the ponderous,

ritualized, slower thinkers in charge....

Yep- that's exactly what would have happened. I used to vacuum up a lot of big dead flies in window sils with the attachment hose. But I had to wait until the housekeeping coord left. She wanted us to wipe up the dead flies with a cloth. Yuck. She would flip out if anyone had a good idea or the ability to think for themselves. She considered efficiency or innovation by others to be devilish.

Rottie, this is how we did it. I was never corps, but they taught me and a few others to do it when there weren't enough corps present. After a while I got pretty good at it, but some of the Corps that came into our area got bent out of shape if any non-Corps person did some things.Do you smell a little arrogance?????

We would get a piece of string longer than the length of the bank of chairs from front to back. We'd get all the chairs set up in rows as best we could with our eye. Then we'd take the string, one holding in the front row and the other in the back row and put the end of the string on the top of the center crown of the back of the chair. We'd pull the string taught. If the string was tight and touched the same place on both chairs, we would move over to the next set. We worked from the center out. I'm sure there were other things they would have to do at hq and in very large hotels where there were banks or sets of chairs.

Truth be told, we learned that some of the places we rented to have meetings had chairs that were so old and in such poor condition that there was no way to line them up with string. We would just have to do the best we could by eye.

The chairs have to be strung in perfectly straight lines both across and from front to back. Perfect grids. God forbid that any chair should be out of alignment and harmony with the other chairs.

Of course, there are chairs that have hoops at their feet (TWI would be far too mean to pay for those at HQ) so that they can easily be hooked together and put in straight lines. If you did have any of those in a meeting place - using the feet was a form of cheating.

WordWolf. That was actually one of the posts I was trying to dissect when I was trying to figure out how to string chairs, lol. I still didn't get it!

waysider. That makes sense, but I SWEAR, I spent a wasteful amount of time trying to search the internet to see if anybody did this at all, and I could not find nadda about it!

johniam: OKAY, now I can see where the mentality is coming from. I for the life of me couldn't understand the detail given to "stringing chairs." But gee whiz, I mean, I know about the Holy Tabernacle, a little about it anyway, and that was DIFFERENT, you know? lol. That's like the detail that went into building the ark. I don't know about those two Kings you mentioned, so I'm going to have to read about that. But all that attention given to chairs for a meeting? Sheesh! What legalistic nitpicking!

krys: You gave me an EXCELLENT mind picture of that! Okay, so it was done from front to back. Gottcha. And some of the Corps got bent out of shape if non-corps did it? Holy Moses on a mountain. I have no words for that. Well...I do, but they are not very nice.

Twinky I don't even know what chairs with hoops in their feet are, lol. You gave me another internet search in my down time.

I SWEAR though, like I said, I googled this in all sorts of different keywords and I could find NOTHING about lining chairs up string or no string, lasers or what have you. But it can't be particular to the Way, like waysider said, the MUST have gotten the idea from somewhere. but thanks for the responses! Geez. Just gives me another inside look into the legalism there.

I was never corps so I didn't ever have that task assigned to me. But, I do remember when we did a film class one time that we got chewed out because there was a little piece of paper they found on the carpet and we got the meltdown over that. We were sent out to comb the area for anything else because things like this that was overlooked affected the students in receiving the class as well that it affected the spiritual atmosphere in the room.

I'll explain what skyrider was talking about.

If you keep chairs in one area, you will get grooves in carpeting where the legs move

(back and forth, in the same areas.)

But if you keep chairs each in EXACTLY one spot, the carpet will get a tiny groove in the shape

of each leg, in the spot where each leg normally rests. So, a 4-legged chair will leave

4 little indentations in the spots where the chair legs rest.

What skyrider did was turn off all the direct lights and use angled, indirect light to highlight

the indentations. (A slower method might have been to use a flashlight, but skyrider's method

was both available and fast.) Then what the crew did was take each chair, line up the 4 legs

with the 4 indentations, then put the chair down. (It's as if the floor was marked with 4

little x's where the feet of the chair were supposed to be.) That went a LOT faster than the

entire "and we studied the rows of chairs, then adjusted them, then we took out the string..."

production would have taken. By the time someone else would have finished a few rows, they

were done with ALL the chairs, then probably changed the light levels so the indentations

would become invisible again. :)

I have to add to this and say that this overboard non-nonsensical tedious attention to detail reminds me of my first real job I had when I was 16 years old. I had been making good money baby-sitting, but at 16 I wanted to enter the "real" world of working, and not being a baby sitter. So I got a job at the local Brown's chicken.

Well...my BOSS, who was 18 years old and a senior at the high school I attended, really lorded it over me. She made me clean the toilet bowl for an HOUR each night. She would keep coming back saying, you missed that, you missed that, etc. After only TWO nights of this. I had enough. I was making twice as much babysitting for crying out loud, lol. To this day, I really resent it when you try to do a good job for somebody or do something really nice for somebody and they don't appreciate it, they just want MORE.

I really try to watch that in myself, as I'm sure I've been guilty of that over the years as well. :redface:

There are other groups that do this as well. It's not exclusive to religious organizations. The more modern way to do it, though, is to use lasers, like you would see on a construction site for setting drop ceilings, establishing grade and so forth. It's quick and very precise.

HERE

RESULTS

OH THANK YOU WAYSIDER!!!! I did not see this until now!

just to add one thing. my dear friend in the corps with me (i forget his handle here) was assigned to get up on a ladder every day and take a bristle brush to andersen library bricks - you know outside bricks - and clean them. every day he went back to it and had NO FRIKKIN CLUE WHERE HE LEFT OFF, but that's what he did for his in residence job

come on now, this is so f'd up

I have to add to this and say that this overboard non-nonsensical tedious attention to detail reminds me of my first real job I had when I was 16 years old. I had been making good money baby-sitting, but at 16 I wanted to enter the "real" world of working, and not being a baby sitter. So I got a job at the local Brown's chicken.

Well...my BOSS, who was 18 years old and a senior at the high school I attended, really lorded it over me. She made me clean the toilet bowl for an HOUR each night. She would keep coming back saying, you missed that, you missed that, etc. After only TWO nights of this. I had enough. I was making twice as much babysitting for crying out loud, lol. To this day, I really resent it when you try to do a good job for somebody or do something really nice for somebody and they don't appreciate it, they just want MORE.

I really try to watch that in myself, as I'm sure I've been guilty of that over the years as well. :redface:/>

Reminds me....

In "vp and me", lcm documented how vpw went into another one of his senseless rants,

this time over free labor.

The corps was taking time off of their jobs, and traveling at their own expense to

the ROA site for Corps Week, and set up the entire site for the ROA, then returning

home after Corps Week-probably because they had no time left off of work.

vpw, naturally thanked them for all the free labor and sent them off blessed

tore into them for not remaining the following week and continuing to work for free

for an additional week at their own expense.

Some people can't think of others as people. Small children, I think, really only

see others in relation to THEM- how they affect the child, and their lives really

revolve around that to the child. Some adults, however, never seem to actually

view others as people and grow past being a small child. We see it more in 18-24

year olds, who sometimes grow up eventually. However, some adults don't WANT to

go past that. So it was with vpw.

In effect, he complained:

"You didn't work for free ENOUGH. One week of free labor isn't enough, you

have to double that at your own expense."

Naturally, neither he nor lcm- neither of whom ever held down a normal job-

could get why people were UNABLE to get more time off. Their entire adult

lives went from school to ministry, with no time in-between to live like

the people they took for granted.

Some people will just take and take and take forever if you let them-

then loot your belongings and hope they're in your will when you drop dead.

Exie: That's just freaking crazy. I bet your corps friend hated wasting his time like that too.

WW: that's a great insightful post. And yeah, we are MUCH more guilty of that when we are younger. I know what you mean about the full time ministry people. I remember this local offshoot's main "pastor" although trained as an accountant, never had a real job in his life. His wife didn't work either, it's just the small group that supports them both. I got into it with her one day because she didn't believe women should work if they have children. I told her it's not exactly a choice. Sometimes they HAVE to work. She told me that people can pray to God to give the husband a raise. ...That's when I realized what a complete bubble these people live in. They are living off of other people's charity and have no clue what the real world is like.

I WOULD LOVE TO READ THAT BOOK VP AND ME! I wonder if it's ever sold on ebay? I wouldn't pay through the nose for it, but I'm going to keep my eye out for it.

Oh, I see a link to some notes about it. http://www.greasespotcafe.com/main2/waydale/waydale-corps-notes/vp-and-me.html :anim-smile:/>

Oh my, I'm starting to read this and I'm already shaking my head in disbelief. What a$$Ki$$ers!

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Reminds me....

In "vp and me", lcm documented how vpw went into another one of his senseless rants,

this time over free labor.

The corps was taking time off of their jobs, and traveling at their own expense to

the ROA site for Corps Week, and set up the entire site for the ROA, then returning

home after Corps Week-probably because they had no time left off of work.

vpw, naturally thanked them for all the free labor and sent them off blessed

tore into them for not remaining the following week and continuing to work for free

for an additional week at their own expense.

Some people can't think of others as people. Small children, I think, really only

see others in relation to THEM- how they affect the child, and their lives really

revolve around that to the child. Some adults, however, never seem to actually

view others as people and grow past being a small child. We see it more in 18-24

year olds, who sometimes grow up eventually. However, some adults don't WANT to

go past that. So it was with vpw.

In effect, he complained:

"You didn't work for free ENOUGH. One week of free labor isn't enough, you

have to double that at your own expense."

Naturally, neither he nor lcm- neither of whom ever held down a normal job-

could get why people were UNABLE to get more time off. Their entire adult

lives went from school to ministry, with no time in-between to live like

the people they took for granted.

Some people will just take and take and take forever if you let them-

then loot your belongings and hope they're in your will when you drop dead.

I believe the exact wording was something like, "Corps, if you can't stand with me during the Rock, then don't bother with standing with me at Corps Week either" (sniff sniff) A couple of years before that he sent out a Corps letter which stated, "If you have to choose between ROA and Corps Week, Corps Week is the priority". Well, I guess the revelation changes as the circumstances change.

Edited by Broken Arrow

I WOULD LOVE TO READ THAT BOOK VP AND ME! I wonder if it's ever sold on ebay? I wouldn't pay through the nose for it, but I'm going to keep my eye out for it.

It's not a book you can buy. It was a gift from LCM to VPW when he was installed as prez. Of course, the Corps was privileged to spend hours upon hours listening to it read.

quote: I WOULD LOVE TO READ THAT BOOK VP AND ME! I wonder if it's ever sold on ebay? I wouldn't pay through the nose for it, but I'm going to keep my eye out for it.

Not long ago on some thread, somebody found an ad trying to sell 'the living word speaks' for the bargain price of $132.00. Ironically, that book was also a gift to VP from 21 different writers who were expressing appreciation for him. If that book is worth 132, then VP and me must be 4 figures. Yikes! I wouldn't mind reading it either, but not for that price.

As for the stringing of chairs et al, VP once said that we won't believe how many rewards we will get for just the physical stewardship of stuff. I know he at least once taught the corps how to properly take care of farm equipment as a model for this. Using a tooth brush on a brick surface??? Did VP himself assign that, or did someone afraid of VP do it? I don't know if I'd ever want to brush my teeth again if I'd had to do that. I guess it's no different than cleaning the grout in a bathroom. The first karate kid movie comes to mind. Mr. Miyaggi (sp) had Daniel LaRussa scrub and paint stuff as part of his karate training.

Johniam, she didn't say "tooth brush" but "bristle brush" - perhaps a standard size scrubbing brush.

Now I have to say I did once brush the stonework outside my door - but that was a one-off because the person who sold to me had had a party and got sticky green stringy stuff all over the stonework.

On a regular basis? At Anderson? Talk about make-work.

At least they let us cut the grass with mowers - not with nail scissors.

And Rottie and John - I think I burned that VP & Me book. Creep creep suck up suck up vomit.