GreaseSpot Cafe

Question about Autism

Tzaia

I thought I read where you didn't talk until you were 7 and was diagnosed with autism. I have a 6yr old autistic granddaughter who is non-verbal. I'd love some insight on how to reach her. If you are willing, could we talk about your experience?

I thought I read where you didn't talk until you were 7 and was diagnosed with autism. I have a 6yr old autistic granddaughter who is non-verbal. I'd love some insight on how to reach her. If you are willing, could we talk about your experience?

I'm familiar with Autism and Asberger's syndrome. I have two boys, one has Autism, the other asberger's another form of it. When my oldest was a child growing up, his mother held his face with her hands while she was communicating with him to keep him from looking away which is very common among kids with autism. She continued to it until he was 14 or so, not as much after his early childhood, but still for the times when she needed to drive home a point.

He's grown up now and doing quite well. My youngest boy with Asberger's syndrome didn't talk until he was 3. After he started talking he never would shut up.

I'm familiar with Autism and Asberger's syndrome. I have two boys, one has Autism, the other asberger's another form of it. When my oldest was a child growing up, his mother held his face with her hands while she was communicating with him to keep him from looking away which is very common among kids with autism. She continued to it until he was 14 or so, not as much after his early childhood, but still for the times when she needed to drive home a point.

He's grown up now and doing quite well. My youngest boy with Asberger's syndrome didn't talk until he was 3. After he started talking he never would shut up.

My point is she continued to hold his face when she talked to him and eventually it stopped him from getting distracted. Eye contact is essential.

I have 2 sons who are autistic. The elder didn't talk until he was 4 or 5. He wasn't diagnosed until he was 6, and after that he improved dramatically. He's 23 now and has a job. His verbal communication is still weird sometimes, but he's doing OK. The younger just graduated HS with a GPA of 3.33 plus. Both kids know how to use a computer and receive services to help them socially. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the special school district in St. Louis. Both kids threw tantrums at school every so often, but didn't hit themselves in the head like some of their classmates.

The biggest thing is that both of them were able to respond to love like any other kid. The professional people we saw never discouraged us from interacting with the kids in our own way. Some parents of disabled kids feel so sorry for them that they don't discipline them. IMO not a good idea. Our kids responded to not only love but correction. I think most challenged kids can handle that, but some autism is more severe than others.

Tzaia, I wish you and your family the best in dealing with this.

• Upvote 1

"If you've met one child with autism, you've met one child with autism."

My son has autism. It is false to say that they do not speak until 6 or 7. My boy is 5 and talks up a storm. He's not very articulate. It's tough to understand him sometimes. but he speaks. A lot.

I know of other children who are still non-verbal in their early teens.

Every child is different.

Talking to other parents of children with autism is helpful for insight, support and encouragement, but you need a professional to work with you, your child and your granddaughter to meet her specific needs when it comes to communication. The advice you get from others may or may not apply to your granddaughter.

Good luck.