GreaseSpot Cafe

Cults S3

chockfull

Posted (edited)

How can I not be deceived by other cults?  I don’t want to join another one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cults/s/Mh6incJZ98

Reddit thread on this question.  Some insightful commentary.

For me it was partially self delusion.  I traded free will and compliance for an emotional sense of security, belonging, and purpose.

All those 3 tangible benefits were 100 percent delusional and false.  There is no security and belonging in a high control environment where questioning or presenting a different opinion results in shunning.  Obviously there is tangible negative emotional impact with shunning.  And any purpose was masked with the true hidden purpose of elevating certain individuals in stature and position.

There are emotional lies that people buy into and trade their freedom for.

Edited by chockfull
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chockfull said:

For me it was partially self delusion.  I traded free will and compliance for an emotional sense of security, belonging, and purpose.

That's it in a nutshell. :wave:

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:51 AM, chockfull said:

All those 3 tangible benefits were 100 percent delusional and false.  There is no security and belonging in a high control environment where questioning or presenting a different opinion results in shunning.  Obviously there is tangible negative emotional impact with shunning.  And any purpose was masked with the true hidden purpose of elevating certain individuals in stature and position.

Thank you for articulating these things!!! 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:51 AM, chockfull said:

Also checking into several resources in the Reddit link- Daniella Young's book, and a really good article! So appreciate these!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:25 PM, chockfull said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/s/BMLDktDe1b

Hallelujah y’alls.  Sisters are now permitted to wear slacks!  Advancing in 2024!

Also the ASL interpreter is Curious George!

Sorry, I saw the name Bethel and immediately thought of the charismatic church that I've been reading about when following the IHOPKC meltdown.  I realize now that it's about JW and that you've been following it for a while now. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Charity said:

Do you know much about Bethel?

Yes I have a relative living at one.  It’s a bit like the TWI staff.  Very controlled and patrolled environment with respect to what can and can’t be said.   Mostly carpentry and production for Watchtower.  Education is discouraged as Jesus is coming back any minute now.  They have Bethels in many countries.  It is a high honor among them to live and work there.  The next governing body comes from Bethel workers and the succession to those positions.   Saying “I was a Bethelite” among JW gives them advanced status in a group.

Edited by chockfull

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/s/wt8jz3TFOc

Recent statistics are showing around 50% of returning Mormon missionaries are leaving the church.  It seems the most devout adherents to the rules are among the ones leaving first.  Those who go through motions for political gain are advancing in positions.

What a testament to the long-term adverse effects of using another individual to expand your organization via free labor and outreach programs.

Did I recognize these patterns in how TWI uses their “Wow” TM Ambassadors? Or “Way Ambassadors”? Or Way Corps pressured to “get a class together”?

I did these programs.  They isolated me from family and friends and re-enforced the cult values over individual goals.  They lead to ever increasing commitment to an organization and protection of everyone and everything they represent regardless of how evil the impact is.  

There is long-term isolation from support groups and replacing them with more devout and controlling support groups.  There is the grooming for higher programs always.  In those programs there is the climbing over each other to obtain position and status.  The ultimate end of this is the BOD who answer to nobody and are treated like gods.

Don’t let your life be used for another’s political aspirations and control.

Regardless of what group it is, what pitch they have, the results will always contain consequences.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/s/toPjST02Yg

This thread talks about all the social advantages there are in being in a cult.  Many “friends” easily accessible.  This person talks about the JW app where they are connected to 500 people and are “friends” with 100 of them.

Another insightful comment describes that as  “forced connections with people whose real personalities are hidden under a facade”.

I think many people trade their souls and morals for this fake connection.  I certainly lost about 100 percent of those fake connections when I decided that the path of lifetime service to prop up “WOW” TM and self inflated nincompoops was not the best for my family.

How many people disagree with the tenets of TWI but are too afraid to leave because of their “friends”????

Heres a tip.  They are not your friends.  They are less your friends than the neighbors on your street for the most part and than your average person in a community.  Those ties aren’t worth the sacrifice.  The juice is not worth the squeeze IMO.

• Like 2

“….all the social advantages there are in being in a cult.”

What could ever be said to someone who beleeeves this? It is daunting to even imagine the level of delusion required, yet, I see it and read about it every day. Very, very sad. 

• Like 1