GreaseSpot Cafe

Just now, So_crates said:

We don't overcome the laws of physics, we utilize them to our purpose.

I agree. 

The airplane does not overcome the LAW of gravity.
The Bernoulli FORCE overcomes the FORCE of gravity.

That is the correct tech talk for this.

The force of gravity is a PATTERN of the law of gravity.
The Bernoulli force is a PATTERN of moving air molecules.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yes!   God's foreknowledge seriously complicates this already tough nut to crack.

Fortunately, Neuroscience and Medicine will not be able to incorporate this foreknowledge complication.

There is nothing in science that can handle the idea of foreknowledge. Even the devil, the former steward of the Laws of Physics, has no handle on foreknowledge.

Then whatever neuroscience and medicine comes up with will be a lie because they ignore a whole swatch of information that they perceive to be contrary to their pet theory, whatever it is.

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yes!   God's foreknowledge seriously complicates this already tough nut to crack.

Fortunately, Neuroscience and Medicine will not be able to incorporate this foreknowledge complication.

There is nothing in science that can handle the idea of foreknowledge. Even the devil, the former steward of the Laws of Physics, has no handle on foreknowledge.

So I’m every single thread here I think people accept the idea of God having foreknowledge.

Why is it important or interesting to carry on a long discussion about the electro chemical pathways in the brain that are involved when people pray, worship God, or study the Bible?  Or make the freewill decision to eat a piece of toast with jam?

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

I agree. 

Again, the force of gravity is not overcome, it still acts on the plane. The Bernoulli force utilizes the force of gravity to fly. The bottom of the wing has to have some downward pressure.

The four forces acting on an aircraft are lift, thrust, drag, and gravity.

Edited by So_crates

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

I agree. 

Your filibustering is also a pattern of moving air molecules.  Lol.  Figuratively of course because we are all typing in the electronic square of Plato’s cave of depression.

10 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Why is it important or interesting to carry on a long discussion about the electro chemical pathways in the brain that are involved when people pray, worship God, or study the Bible?  Or make the freewill decision to eat a piece of toast with jam?

Because lots of people get their brain broken in various ways, and the processes involved in making decisions can go very dysfunctional. 

If Neuroscience can understand better how the electro-chemical pathways in the brain function, Medicine can help heal some of these brain damage victims.

14 minutes ago, So_crates said:

Again, the force of gravity is not overcome, it still acts on the plane. The Bernoulli force utilizes the force of gravity to fly. The bottom of the wing has to have some downward pressure.

The four forces acting on an aircraft are lift, thrust, drag, and gravity.

No. 
It is the NET force that acts on the airplane, and when the Bernoulli force is equal and opposite the gravitational force, the net sum is zero force acting on the plane, and it can stay at one altitude.

If there is no up/down motion of the plane, then there is no net vertical force acting on the plane.

Force is a vector in Physics and force vectors get cancelled all the time by other forces.
Force is not conserved, like energy and momentum.  It can be cancelled. or overcome.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

No. 
It is the NET force that acts on the airplane, and when the Bernoulli force is equal and opposite the gravitational force, the net sum is zero force acting on the plane, and it can stay at one altitude.

So if the force is equal and opposite. It didn't overcome it did it?

1 minute ago, Mike said:

If there is no up/down motion of the plane, then there is no net vertical force acting on the plane.

Force is a vector in Physics and force vectors get cancelled all the time by other forces.
Force is not conserved, like energy and momentum.  It can be cancelled. or overcome.

Again. If it's equal than it wasn't overcomes, was it?

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Because lots of people get their brain broken in various ways, and the processes involved in making decisions can go very dysfunctional. 

If Neuroscience can understand better how the electro-chemical pathways in the brain function, Medicine can help heal some of these brain damage victims.

It also allows them to psychologically control people, which I think is the real reason for the research.

10 minutes ago, So_crates said:

So if the force is equal and opposite. It didn't overcome it did it?

Again. If it's equal than it wasn't overcomes, was it?

I'm stumbling over my words a little.
I'll try to get more precise.

What is most important to the airplane is the NET force, and that force can be zero (vertically).  It is zero when the two forces are equal and opposite.  When this happens, the airplane appears to not have a force of gravity working on it.  It is in THIS way the gravity is figuratively "overcome."

Edited by Mike

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm stumbling over my  words a little.
I'll try to get more precise.

What is most important to the airplane is the NET force, and that force can be zero (vertically).  It is zero when the two forces are equal and opposite.  When this happens, the airplane appears to not have a force of gravity working on it.  It is in THIS way the gravity is figuratively "overcome."

Poor choice of words. However, it shows your mindset.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Determinism is tied to the Laws of Physics.               

you're confused!

philosophical determinism is not the same as physics' cause and effect

I've pointed that out to you several times...drop the baloney! :nono5:

1 hour ago, Mike said:

These Laws actually DETERMINE what happens in the physical world.              

physics' cause and effect - not philosophical determinism - twice I've reminded you in one post (see above) - it's established you're a stubborn bull$hit artist :nono5:   :nono5:

1 hour ago, Mike said:

When the spiritual world interacts with the physical world a WHOLE NEW SET of laws, spiritual laws, come into play.             

pure Mike speculation!  HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN?

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE SPRITUAL REALM? 

SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE WORKING OFF THE HOOKIE POOK THEORIES OF wierwille :nono5:

1 hour ago, Mike said:

This is analogous to how the law of aerodynamics (Bernoulli) can overpower the law of gravity, so airplanes can fly.

NOPE!

COMPARING spiritual apples to wax fruit :nono5:

flight is possible by workarounds

principles of aerodynamics - lift and thrust don not overpower gravity - the principles help the plane supersede gravity

overpower = defeat with superior strength...to affect with overwhelming intensity...

"overcome" might be a better word to us

supersede = take the place of, displace (look into principles of buoyancy / water displacement with sea vessel design) override.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Question: What does the Bible, the spiritual realm, the sciences, and philosophy have in common?

Answer: It doesn't matter if Mike is talking about any of them altogether or separately since it appears he usually doesn't know what he's talking about anyway. :nono5:

Edited by T-Bone
revision

11 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Oh...what hints are you referring to?

Mark 11
22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.

23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Mark 11

23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

So what hints u talking about?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Determinism is tied to the Laws of Physics.
These Laws actually DETERMINE what happens in the physical world.

When the spiritual world interacts with the physical world a WHOLE NEW SET of laws, spiritual laws, come into play.

This is analogous to how the law of aerodynamics (Bernoulli) can overpower the law of gravity, so airplanes can fly.

My point is that physicist may not believe in the spiritual world,but you do.

Any theory you come up with will have to include that whole new set of laws that occur when the spiritual interacts with the physical. Anything less would be a lie.

But then, there's always the possibility you're interested in perpetuating the lie.

2 minutes ago, So_crates said:

My point is that physicist may not believe in the spiritual world,but you do.

Any theory you come up with will have to include that whole new set of laws that occur when the spiritual interacts with the physical. Anything less would be a lie.

But then, there's always the possibility you're interested in perpetuating the lie.

Since you said so, I guess I am stuck, as is science stuck, in perpetuating a lie.
PLEASE PRAY for me and and for science that we can be enlightened.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mark 11

So once again, if every outcome is determined, why pray? What  good is believing?

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Since you said so, I guess I am stuck, as is science stuck, in perpetuating a lie.
PLEASE PRAY for me and and for science that we can be enlightened.

Why would I want to pray if it's been determined you won't listen?

Sarcasm doesn't become you.

You apparently don't comprehend scientific method.

Edited by So_crates

Just now, So_crates said:

So once again, if every outcome is determined, why pray? What  good is believing?

We can be a part of that determined outcome.
We can contribute to the NET force, by our prayers, actions, and believing with God.

It's not like determinism is un-alterable.  We can influence the determinism with free will, minFW that is.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

We can be a part of that determined outcome.
We can contribute to the NET force, by our prayers, actions, and believing with God.

It's not like determinism is un-alterable.  We can influence the determinism with free will, minFW that is.

But, according to you, it doesn't make a difference. Whether we're a part of it or not, what will happen, will happen. So why bother?

On one hand your saying every outcome is determined in advance and we can be a part of it. Yet, on the other hand you day determinism is alterable.

Alterable determinism? Talk about an oxymoron. You just contradicted the definition of determinism, or did you change that, too?