GreaseSpot Cafe

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Physics Nobel Prize winning physicist Roger Penrose wrote 2 large books that I got a lot of this from in the 1990s, and I discussed them often with the UCSD folks.  They debunked the neuroscience that Penrose was proposing, and still oppose it. Penrose failed to follow up on this with all the promise he had in the two books.

but I didn't ask you about other people's books.

I asked you what data do you have to support your statements?

To be upfront with you, I do not trust your understanding and interpretation of other people's books because of the way you are with wierwille's books - you mishmash stuff together and make it even worse than it already is. :evilshades:

I could be wrong - but I feel you switched to this minFW/determinism business cuz you may have figured you could pull a fast one on bull$hitting people who are not as familiar with philosophy as they are with PFAL.

why should I trust anything you say when you refuse to admit that wierwille's "the Bible interprets itself" dictum is utter nonsense.? 

we speak in two different languages. I try to use logic and conventional definitions...and you do NOT. To communicate there has to be something in common. 

Edited by T-Bone
revision

10 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

do you really talk this way with your Facebook friends, grad students and neuroscientist buddies? And do they laugh at your "theories"?

No, I mostly talk this way with 2 of the professors. One of them was a grad student back then, and he actually encouraged me in the direction I took, and then liked what I came up with.  We e-mail a lot about it.  He sends me ideas and links of related issues. The other professor is retired now, but I still keep in touch and I have gotten encouragement there.

The facebook groups are numerous (like 10) and different; some huge; some tiny. I occasionally encounter some responses, where I've even become good friends with a few postersw. I also get a sizable number of bad reviews.  Represented in the groups are are pro free will (2 last count), anti free will (3), pro determinism (2), and Daniel Dennett (3).

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

No, I mostly talk this way with 2 of the professors. One of them was a grad student back then, and he actually encouraged me in the direction I took, and then liked what I came up with.  We e-mail a lot about it.  He sends me ideas and links of related issues. The other professor is retired now, but I still keep in touch and I have gotten encouragement there.

The facebook groups are numerous (like 10) and different; some huge; some tiny. I occasionally encounter some responses, where I've even become good friends with a few postersw. I also get a sizable number of bad reviews.  Represented in the groups are are pro free will (2 last count), anti free will (3), pro determinism (2), and Daniel Dennett (3).

if that's true - then why do you persist here when folks shoot innumerable holes in your nonsense speculations?

what you say doesn't ring true.

it makes more sense that you act like a troll. that would explain why you persist here.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Those books are all the data I am offering you.  Take it or leave it.

No - if indeed you've read those books - you are offering YOUR interpretation of those books. there's a difference - and I don't trust your interpretive skills anyway cuz you believe the Bible interprets itself :evilshades:

you also said when Jesus Christ comes back, He will be holding a copy of the PFAL book. take it or leave it - you said that too.

Edited by T-Bone
revision

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have little faith in your math skills cuz you believe there were 4 crucified with Jesus.

what a stupid doctrine!

1 minute ago, T-Bone said:

Mike also said when Jesus Christ comes back, He will be holding a copy of the PFAL book. 

Such a grim and horrifying vision of the future. Such a dismal, wretched, hopeless outlook. Why would one would risk incurring, by making this claim, such a spiritual liability? 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:42 PM, Mike said:

The details of Free Will and exactly how it works (if it is there at all) are a mystery in (1) science, in (2) religion, in (3) judicial systems, in (4) hospitals and clinics, in (5) addiction treatment programs, and in (6) everyday life.

Free Will is important in all those areas, yet after thousands of years of discussion it is still way up in the air and not settled at all.   WHY? 

see how much you waffle

now you question if free will even exists

if free will has been important in science, religion, judicial systems, etc. for thousands of years - what is unsettled about it?

On 11/9/2022 at 5:37 PM, Mike said:

The brain is essentially a believing machine.
It believes any story you feed it. 
This works for feeding it bad stuff,
and it works for feeding it good stuff.

what nonsense!

and you share stuff like this with professors and other great minds on Facebook?

when you say stupid bull$hit like this you show everyone you understand NOTHING about critical thinking.

30 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

see how much you waffle

now you question if free will even exists

if free will has been important in science, religion, judicial systems, etc. for thousands of years - what is unsettled about it?

On 11/9/2022 at 10:42 AM, Mike said:

The details of Free Will and exactly how it works (if it is there at all) are a mystery in (1) science, in (2) religion, in (3) judicial systems, in (4) hospitals and clinics, in (5) addiction treatment programs, and in (6) everyday life.

Free Will is important in all those areas, yet after thousands of years of discussion it is still way up in the air and not settled at all.   WHY? 

This text does not question free will's existence.

This text questions the existence of a clear consensus on free will in all 6 of those important areas.  The reason for this is the terrible definition that has been foisted on Western civilization for about a thousand years.

I have consistently said that I seriously doubt the existence of free will as it is classically defined.  With a definition overhaul, I think that free will can be made clear, and a consensus can some day be possible.

Philosophy didn't "resolve" this- because philosophy NEVER "resolves" anything. It's entirely about the journey, and reaching the destination/RESOLVING something is antithetical to it. 

I confirmed that when taking a Philosophy class alongside a friend.  He came to conclusions. He saw me write " off-the-cuff" quickly and write that we can't come to a definite conclusion.  He spent over an hour on his work, I spent several minutes, and I got a higher grade. (He asked to study with me after that.)

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

This text questions the existence of a clear consensus on free will in all 6 of those important areas.  The reason for this is the terrible definition that has been foisted on Western civilization for about a thousand years.

I have consistently said that I seriously doubt the existence of free will as it is classically defined.  With a definition overhaul, I think that free will can be made clear, and a consensus can some day be possible.

You have been consistently nebulous in a vacuous and verbose way

In order to have a consensus folks would have to agree on your terminology and concepts…I don’t think there’s a chance in Gehenna of that happening any time soon.

10 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Philosophy didn't "resolve" this- because philosophy NEVER "resolves" anything. It's entirely about the journey, and reaching the destination/RESOLVING something is antithetical to it. 

I confirmed that when taking a Philosophy class alongside a friend.  He came to conclusions. He saw me write " off-the-cuff" quickly and write that we can't come to a definite conclusion.  He spent over an hour on his work, I spent several minutes, and I got a higher grade. (He asked to study with me after that.)

I agree, but I didn't want to broaden my condemnation of philosophy.

The thing is, in those 6 areas I mentioned above, a clear consensus on free will is NEEDED. 

I think one can happen with Neuroscience, and I am merely trying to push it along a tiny bit faster with a more clear definition.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Do your professor friends and Facebook groups know about you acting like a troll on Grease Spot Cafe for 20 years?

and are they all aware that you believe the Bible interprets itself?

do they know about your devotion to a cult-leader who had claimed he heard from God it was okay to plagiarize other people’s work and sexually molest women?

are any of your professors / Facebook friends published authors? Are any of them women? 

I wonder what they would think of someone who defends such a creep like wierwille to the hilt?

Edited by T-Bone
Revision

6 hours ago, T-Bone said:

you got suckered in by wierwille's tilting at windmills. he used a false premise "Scripture buildup" to piece together an erroneous interpretation of 4 different gospels

He stole that idea from Bullinger as well. Bullinger breaks down the purpose of each gospel in his appendices in the Companion Bible. From there, at some point, the research department put together A Harmony of the Gospels based on Bullinger as well. You likely know this already, but saying it for those who perhaps don't. I enjoyed A Harmony of the Gospels because the syllabus layed out the Gosls in chronological order and you could read it from start to finish and see the chronology and details added from other gospels on the same account. That's about the most value I can ascribe to it. All the other spiritualization that went into it is likely bullshonta based on Bullinger's speculations. Not that Bullinger wasn't brilliant at times. But with Bullinger I feel his approach was throw enough #$%^ against a wall something will stick (old salesman cliche). I look at Bullinger as corrupted by leaven. His hardcore dispensationalism distorts most of what he says, though some of what he says is brilliant at times. 

7 hours ago, Mike said:

If anything can save this thread it’s these guys :biglaugh:

Edited by chockfull

22 minutes ago, chockfull said:

If anything can save this thread it’s these guys :biglaugh:

a most excellent post ! thanks!

here be the lyrics:

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance
A planet of playthings, we dance on the strings of powers we cannot perceive
The stars aren't aligned or the Gods are malign, blame is better to give than receive
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill
There are those who think that they were dealt a losing hand
The cards were stacked against them they weren't born in Lotus Land
All preordained, a prisoner in chains, a victim of venomous fate
Kicked in the face, you can pray for a place, in heaven's unearthly estate
Each of us, a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortune hunt that's far too fleet

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

a most excellent post ! thanks!

here be the lyrics:

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance
A planet of playthings, we dance on the strings of powers we cannot perceive
The stars aren't aligned or the Gods are malign, blame is better to give than receive
There are those who think that they were dealt a losing hand
The cards were stacked against them they weren't born in Lotus Land
All preordained, a prisoner in chains, a victim of venomous fate
Kicked in the face, you can pray for a place, in heaven's unearthly estate
Each of us, a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortune hunt that's far too fleet

Explains crystal clear what neuroscientists have searched for years...lol

3 hours ago, OldSkool said:

He stole that idea from Bullinger as well. Bullinger breaks down the purpose of each gospel in his appendices in the Companion Bible. From there, at some point, the research department put together A Harmony of the Gospels based on Bullinger as well. You likely know this already, but saying it for those who perhaps don't. I enjoyed A Harmony of the Gospels because the syllabus layed out the Gosls in chronological order and you could read it from start to finish and see the chronology and details added from other gospels on the same account. That's about the most value I can ascribe to it. All the other spiritualization that went into it is likely bullshonta based on Bullinger's speculations. Not that Bullinger wasn't brilliant at times. But with Bullinger I feel his approach was throw enough #$%^ against a wall something will stick (old salesman cliche). I look at Bullinger as corrupted by leaven. His hardcore dispensationalism distorts most of what he says, though some of what he says is brilliant at times. 

I’ve got a couple of fun Bibles for harmonizing:

The Narrated Bible in Chronological Order (NIV) by F. LaGard Smith

Noted on the back by John Kohlenberger III “for any reader who has struggled with the flow of Old Testament and Gospel narrative

Gospels are interesting - combined – literally just pieced together all 4 into a one narrative – like you’re getting 4 different news feeds – in paragraph form

~ ~ ~ ~

NIV, Integrated Study Bible, Hardcover: A New Chronological Approach for Exploring Scripture, editor John R. Kohlenberger III

Has parallel passages arranged in side-by-side columns

~ ~ ~ ~

Concerning Bullinger:

I’ll never forget an interesting comment wierwille said about Bullinger – either at PFAL ’77 or Advanced Class ’79 – he said (in reference to Bullinger) something like if you squeeze The Word too hard you’ll have error run out through your fingers…of all people – it’s really ironic for wierwille the unabashed plagiarist to say that…who knows - maybe even an incompetent fake doctor could spot it  too    ! I think there is something to wierwille’s observation anyway.

I like Bullinger’s Companion Bible for the convenience of historical notes, literary structure, noting figures of speech…I like the convenience of Biblical language notes on verses – although I don’t always trust his definitions – so I often use Companion Bible in tandem with reputable authors’ lexicons who have expertise in the language.

Bullinger’s dispensationalism, 4 crucified, NT canon comments, numbers in scripture, witness of the stars, giver and the gifts do not appeal to me – I think that’s where Bullinger squeezed the Word too hard – reminds me of that   Hidden Bible Codes    that came out a while back – by selecting equidistant letter sequences from within the 3,300 year old Hebrew Bible that form words and phrases they demonstrated foreknowledge and prophecy… ...My take? There could be something to it…

...but personally I’ve got no problem believing the Bible is the Word of God and frankly though this stuff didn’t get into decoding any still future events in the book of Rev. like the gazillion other books on Bible prophecy  :rolleyes: - I’m sticking with the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the here and now – I think that’s the best prep for any “impending doom” – geez I already freaked out of end times stuff when 9/11 happened – wife and I were in California on vacation when that happened – actually thought I must have missed something and we’re in tribulation mode now  :confused:  :biglaugh:  

- and fyi I don’t get hung up in pre mid or post trib or when this or that is gonna happen. I already told you my game plan I’m sticking with the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the here and now – I think that’s the best prep for any “impending doom”. There I’ve said it twice – it’s established! :rolleyes:  

11 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Explains crystal clear what neuroscientists have searched for years...lol

I think Rush’s other song is more relevant here:

Today's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on you

And the threads he invades, he gets by on you

And what we say about neuroscientists

Will have some Grease Spotters throwing big fits

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Along with the tasty licks of Alex Lifeson and the best live drummer I have ever heard live on the planet earth Neil Peart - so tight!

I'm a huge fan. Alex guitar style is incredible. So.e of his chord patterns hurt just thinking about how he plays...lol...Neil is hands down one of, if not the, best drummer of all time.

6 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

I'm a huge fan. Alex guitar style is incredible. So.e of his chord patterns hurt just thinking about how he plays...lol...Neil is hands down one of, if not the, best drummer of all time.

I’ve seen them a few times back in the day when Peart had a big u shaped setup and a gong, and more recently he had a rotating kit half skins half electronics and he switched back and forth in his solo.  One of the few true masters.

• Like 1