GreaseSpot Cafe

Evolution of a cult

Groucho

As I read through the numerous posts on the "About the Way" forum, I am constantly amazed. You see, I was in twi from 1975-87. To me, it became too legalistic when they wouldn't let us smoke dope in twig anymore.

I can't even begin to relate to selling my house and giving them the money! To observe how totalitarian it became after I left is astounding to me.

When I first got in, it was a free for all. Half the ministry was dope smoking hippies. There was very little structure and the roa. looked more like a Grateful Dead concert than anything Christian. Wierwille rode around the country on his motorcycle and nobody felt that they HAD to do anything.

I guess it started to become legalistic when lcm made the scene and turned the waycorps into "youth for Hitler revisited". For awhile, it was good cop, bad cop...lcm would browbeat, humiliate, and crush...and then ol' veepee would show up with a truck load of beer and a night off for everybody.

A study of how lcm went from a ranting buffoon to a psycotic, sociopath with delusions of grandeur...would make most behavioral psychologists drool.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

I joined in 1982 And here in Alaska I found it to be pretty legalistic back then--Of course that could be because, I firmly believe looking back, that Alaska Was where they sent all the Leadership that was so Sociopathic that they were pretty much unpreedictable even by TWI standards

MO

(who Used to be Maure)

Actually,

vpw was better at concealing stuff than lcm.

It's been shown on other threads that vpw was into centralizing

things to consolidate them under his authority.

That's why Heefner and Doop got the bum's rush right while they were

so successful. Their existences were a threat to his ego, as they

were seen (correctly) as leaders on both coasts, mainly because they

led so well. On the one hand, vpw liked things informal, since it

went along with the promiscuous, "free-love" mileu, and the

"distrust normal churches" thing. On the other hand, at the same

time, anything that didn't meet with his approval was savaged

pretty viciously.

Hi Maure...I was away for awhile.

Of course, contributing to my twi experience, was the fact that I was in an "outlying" area. Closest twig was 30 miles away. It wasn't until I went wow and then corps that I realized how much control was really being exerted on us.

The hippies of twi in the early 70's became the mean-spirited, legalistic, waybrains of the waycorps in the late 70's and early 80's. Half of em were trying to emulate veepee and the other half lcm...the end result was a homogenous blend of brainwashed storm troopers.

The worst of my experience was in the 10th corps at Emporia in 1979. I believe that's when my mind really went "bye bye" for awhile. I can only imagine how bad it got after I left. There really wasn't much difference between twi and old Jim Jones with his kool-aid.

How right you are Wordwolf...veepee was power hungry...nobody could challenge his central authority. He was probably the most insecure man that I've ever known. Which is part of the reason that he hid his viciousness better than lcm. He needed to maintain his "benevolent father in the word" image to the masses while he bullied, intimidated and ripped apart his "leadership" in the back room. He was ruthless.

I remember the little "VPs" and little "LMCs" running around. When LCM grew a mustache, all the little LCMs grew one too. Too funny if it weren't so sad.

Oh wait, better one! My 26 year old TC calling people in his twig "kids." Half were older than him! LOL!

What made it not so funny was when you pointed out how ridiculous they were behaving. THEN the other side came out...

just thinking said:Oh wait, better one! My 26 year old TC calling people in his twig "kids." Half were older than him! LOL!

=========================================

HEE HEE I had a Branch Leader dink boy that used to pat me on the head and say "it'll be ok honey". Oh, how that burned me. He was 12 or something and granted, I'm short but for cryin out loud! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Wish I'd had the balls to say 'get thee behind me dink boy'

Groucho -- you were in (and out) the same time frame I was. What you said ---

"The hippies of twi in the early 70's became the mean-spirited, legalistic, waybrains of the waycorps in the late 70's and early 80's. Half of em were trying to emulate veepee and the other half lcm...the end result was a homogenous blend of brainwashed storm troopers." ------ is too true icon_frown.gif:(--> icon_frown.gif:(-->

vpw started it, and lcm "carried the banner". It got more leglistic as time went on, and suddenly it just wasn't fun anymore. Kind of like a dead end job icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Y'all REALLY smoked dope at twig? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_cool.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif